The Games of the XXIX Olympiad

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest BBC article about Beijing 2008, which talks about the city "breathing it, living it, and 'worth dying for it'". Okay, the last one is the one I made up here:

Link: BBC: Beijing Building The Olympic Dream

Latest BBC article about Beijing 2008, which talks about the city "breathing it, living it, and 'worth dying for it'". Okay, the last one is the one I made up here:

Link: BBC: Beijing Building The Olympic Dream

If you guys have remotely got the following BBC channels, which are the following, then you may see one of the BBC journalists make a full-day coverage about Beijing 2008 today:

- BBC News 24;

- BBC World; or,

- BBC1's Breakfast.

Carrie Gracie, the journalist in question here, is broadcasting "all-day" about how Beijing is going about preparing for the 2008 Olympic Games and how China is embracing the event big time.

Edited by Guardian

So, can London learn from Beijing 2008 on how to prepare for the 2012 Olympic Games?

Not really,not unless Britain becomes a one-party,totalitarian dictatorship like China.Then it can spend as much money on the Olympics as it wants,chuck people out of their homes at a moment's notice to make way for the venues,order as much cheap,non-unionised labour as it needs,and do all this without having to worry a jot about public opinion or newspapers asking awkward questions!! <_<

London will have to do it the democratic way and that means learning from the likes of Sydney or Athens.They got there and so will London! B)

Not really,not unless Britain becomes a one-party,totalitarian dictatorship like China.Then it can spend as much money on the Olympics as it wants,chuck people out of their homes at a moment's notice to make way for the venues,order as much cheap,non-unionised labour as it needs,and do all this without having to worry a jot about public opinion or newspapers asking awkward questions!! <_<

London will have to do it the democratic way and that means learning from the likes of Sydney or Athens.They got there and so will London! B)

Yeah, considering that when I first saw that article at that time, it was considered the "most seen BBC article of the day."

• 2 weeks later...

One, British badminton players want to be ready for Beijing 2008:

Link: BBC: Britain Earmark Olympic Hopefuls

Two, this show from the BBC could be interesting, in terms on how BOCOG is dealing with the city's environment issue in preparing for the 2008 Olympic Games. The same can be said about London 2012, too:

Link: Earth Report Episode: A Tale Of Two Cities

When Alexandre Despatie of Canada goes to Beijing 2008, depending on if he does qualify to go there, it will be about 10 years since his Commonwealth Games gold medal win at Kuala Lumpur 1998 in diving at the tender age of 13. Never mind he will have to compete against a powerful Chinese men's diving on their home soil:

Link: CBC: Diver Despatie Returns From Injury To Begin The March To The 2008 Olympics

When Alexandre Despatie of Canada goes to Beijing 2008, depending on if he does qualify to go there, it will be about 10 years since his Commonwealth Games gold medal win at Kuala Lumpur 1998 in diving at the tender age of 13. Never mind he will have to compete against a powerful Chinese men's diving on their home soil:

Link: CBC: Diver Despatie Returns From Injury To Begin The March To The 2008 Olympics

yea the chinese diving team will be extremely hard to beat in 2008 on home soil

First, it was the Olympic athletes. Now, France has been reported that it will reward its PARALYMPIANS with money prizes, should any of them win a medal at the Beijing 2008 PARALYMPIC Games:

Link: BBC: Equal Pay For French Paralympians

Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Was the dragon considered to be an Olympic mascot for 2008? Even though it may have been possible, it was quashed by perceptions about what a dragon is about in other parts of the world other than China:

Link: BBC: Fiery Debate Over China's Dragon

First, it was the Olympic athletes. Now, France has been reported that it will reward its PARALYMPIANS with money prizes, should any of them win a medal at the Beijing 2008 PARALYMPIC Games:

Link: BBC: Equal Pay For French Paralympians

Do you guys think this is a good idea?

If anything, the Paralypians could always use the money. The fully-limbed athletes have a lot of monetary opportunities that the handicapped athletes never will have. So I say, YES!!

Okay, I need to go figure on this news. The Qingdao sailing venue for Beijing 2008 is "inadequate?" Speaking of that off-hand typo in the South Africa 2010 topic about the dates for the event, we might as well apply that to these sailing events, too. Imagine this: all the Olympic medal races for the sailing events "could be held in ONE DAY." You think I'm exaggerating? Try clicking on the link below and read the BBC article:

Link: BBC: 2008 Sailing Organisers Confident

They are confident about that? I don't know, if Rogge really likes that, since he was an Olympic sailor for Belgium in the past.

Edited by Guardian

Okay, China wiped the rest of the competition at the Doha 2006 Asian Games. According to the BBC article, Chinese officials were reported to have said that "it was NOT ENOUGH" afterwards. Like, there should be MORE IMPROVEMENTS from their athletes "in order to beat the USA" in 2008. Talk about a bit of Cold War rhetoric here:

Link: BBC: Dominant China Seeks More In 2008

Damn, as always, the chinese exploiting their people, no matter if they suceed on everything, they already crushed all the asian teams with a great medals difference and IS NOT ENOUGH?? :o

Well, i guess if they want to beat USA they should train more harder, but hope there will be not repressions against them in two years if they fail.

They is already a good number of teams qualified for Beijing, including the USA and Cuba (Baseball), Australia (Basketball - Women), Spain (Basketball - Men), Korea and Pakistan (Hockey - Men), Japan (Hockey - Women), USA, Japan, Australia and Canada (Softball).

Will there be a "united Korea" team for Beijing 2008? Only time will tell:

Link: IOC: A Step Furthur Towards A Unified Korean Team In 2008

And, she will be 50 years old when she wants to compete for gold in Beijing 2008. However, it will be interesting on how she will do in the CYCLING events there, if she does qualify to go:

Link: BBC: Veteran Longo Targets 2008 Games

Edited by Guardian

Will there be a "united Korea" team for Beijing 2008? Only time will tell:

Link: IOC: A Step Furthur Towards A Unified Korean Team In 2008

And, she will be 50 years old when she wants to compete for gold in Beijing 2008. However, it will be interesting on how she will do in the CYCLING events there, if she does qualify to go:

Link: BBC: Veteran Longo Targets 2008 Games

wow i will be very suprised if she does qualify but you never no stranger things have happened

it would definately be. Does any one no what has happened to Merlene Otty? Is she still competing or has she retired, after she pulled out during the semi finals of the 200m in athens?

Well, I am not certain. I haven't heard of her retiring yet and could be still competing for Slovenia, come Beijing 2008:

Link: Merlene Ottey

(Note: Since the link above goes to that Wikipedia page, do not assume that it is all true.)