The Usoc Vote On April 14

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, didn't I call it? I think it might even have been an 10-1 or a unanimous vote.

Well, we know it was not unanimous as Peter U stated several times during the various press points that votes went both ways.

Wonder how long we'll get some leaks about the actual number of votes each city got.

Also wonder whether we'll be able to see some LA bid materials or not.

Well, didn't I call it? I think it might even have been an 10-1 or a unanimous vote.

OK, this is how I see the road leading to 2009 ("C"hicago; vote in "C"openhagen. Good portent already!):

1. PyongChang wins 2014 in July. That weakens Tokyo's bid; but Tokyo stays in.

2. Hilary, Obama, Giuliani or Romney goes to the White House next year. All positive for a Chicago bid!!

3. earlly 2009 - US involvement in Iraq ends. Our boys and gals come home.

4. October 2009, Copenhagen - Chicago wins it in the 2nd round!!

1. Agreed. PC has to be the heavy favorite, although Salzburg could get an upset. Looking unlikely though.

2. Obama wins IMHO. The greatest casualty of the Bush Presidency may be the RNC. Besides, how could would it be for a native Chicagoan opening the Chicago Games? Obama would need two terms, but he could do it.

3. Mid to late 2008 for US out of Iraq. The American public has swallowed enough BS there and are ready to leave.

4. I agree with this, especially if Rio or Tokoyo goes out in the first round.

Very good news to hear. I'm glad to hear Chicago is going to be going into the competition. Nothing against L.A. (either would be fine), but I liked the thought of such a event there. Now just get all the ducks lined up with stadium stuff.

Tough fight ahead I expect. Will be interesting to watch it all break down over the next 2 years.

This, combined with the Cubbies winning the World Series - I could die a happy man right now. B)

You are that satisfied with them being the USOC candidate?

I think that the first thing that needs to be done is for the USOC to shut NYC up about any possible 2020 bid if Chicago is to lose, the attraction of a first city could allow the 2016 games to go to a new area of the world.

Actually,after the announcement,Peter Ueberroth kept hinting that the vote was very close although no details were being released.(Why not?). :huh:

In any event...congrats to Chicago and...congrats to me! I finally guessed the winning city right !! :lol:

I honestly think Chicago is being severly over-estimated/overrated. The international bidding process will prove right. Even though America will be a favourite for 2016, I don't see 2016 locked in place to return to North America, even though it would be a favourite, for that year.

Well, wake up Chicago. You're halfway home, but now the REAL fun begins: convincing the IOC that your city is best for the Olympic movement.

The only things honestly with Chicago's bid that need a bit more spit and polish are the Olympic stadium and the Village. Other than that, I gotta tell you, Chicago can virtually sail into Copenhagen as the favorite.

Well, wake up Chicago. You're halfway home, but now the REAL fun begins: convincing the IOC that your city is best for the Olympic movement.

The only things honestly with Chicago's bid that need a bit more spit and polish are the Olympic stadium and the Village. Other than that, I gotta tell you, Chicago can virtually sail into Copenhagen as the favorite.

Yeah, I mentioned in the other thread about predictions that the stadium plan is one of their low points. If I was personally apart of the IOC, the plan would totally turn me off, but that's just me.

Yeah, I mentioned in the other thread about predictions that the stadium plan is one of their low points. If I was personally apart of the IOC, the plan would totally turn me off, but that's just me.

Yea. I am sure that everyone from Toronto and New York is saying the same thing right now. Sour Apples and hopes for the future.

Yea. I am sure that everyone from Toronto and New York is saying the same thing right now. Sour Apples and hopes for the future.

Lol...whatever man!! I did not even mention anything to suggest that. It's all in your own mind. Can't we discuss it's weaknesses and improve on that. It's stadium plan is definately a big weakness.

And since you are bringing up New York City, yes, they would make a better candidate and would have definately been a LOCK to win 2016.

Not in my case. I WANT Chicago to win the Olympics more than anything, but after the problems with the staduim for NYC's bid last time, I want Chicago's staduim just locked in tight, solid and concrete and for it to be awesome.

I don't want to just be "It'll do" I want the IOC to be swimming in their own drool that the bid is so good. That's what killed me about NYC - it was just "It'll do." We can do better. We really can. So let's prove it.

Lol...whatever man!! I did not even mention anything to suggest that. It's all in your own mind. Can't we discuss it's weaknesses and improve on that. It's stadium plan is definately a big weakness.

And since you are bringing up New York City, yes, they would make a better candidate and would have definately been a LOCK to win 2016.

Sorry Dave - I enjoy most of your posts but this one is so nationalistic.

Chicago's plan is not that much different than Toronto '08's or London '12's. Actually it is much more fiscally conservative than Toronto's was.

And there is no such thing as a "lock" on a bid. See Paris 2012 for reference.

"I honestly think Chicago is being 'severly' over-estimated/overrated".

Why? Because it's not Toronto? :rolleyes: Chicago's plan is quite similiar to what Toronto's was. An Olympics on the lake front.

This isn't a Toronto vs. Chicago thread.

I'm saying people are overestimating this bid right off the bat because some people are like "oh, Chicago is definately going to win this...blah blah blah...there is no serious competition for Chicago so we will win." I don't think it will be that easy for them to win it.

And please stop trying to bring in the Toronto connection into this. Just because I'm from Toronto doesn't mean sh1t. Having an Olympics in Chicago would be attractive since it's not a long ride away from Toronto to attend.

I still think their stadium plan SUCKS!!! :P

Well, I'm certainly not one of those that thinks that Chicago is a shoe-in for 2016. No bid ever is. I certainly don't discount Tokyo, Rome, Madrid, Berlin, or even Rio or Istanbul. I've even said in other threads, that if the U.S. were to lose 2016, then I hope it's at least by a new-frontier city, because I'm an advocate of the Olympics going to places they've never been.

O.K. Dave - I like your posts so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Not that you need it because I know how sassy you Canadians can get! :P

Look, I do not in any way whatsoever think that Chicago has a lock on anything! The IOC has done some wacky things in the past (i/e Bejing over Toronto 2008 :angry: )

So today, at this moment, i am just happy. B)

O.K. Dave - I like your posts so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Not that you need it because I know how sassy you Canadians can get! :P

Look, I do not in any way whatsoever think that Chicago has a lock on anything! The IOC has done some wacky things in the past (i/e Bejing over Toronto 2008 :angry: )

So today, at this moment, i am just happy. B)

That's cool. You should be proud of your country and support its efforts. I just want you to admit that NYC would be a much better candidate at this time!!! Hahaha, let's hear it!!!! ;)

This isn't a Toronto vs. Chicago thread.

I'm saying people are overestimating this bid right off the bat because some people are like "oh, Chicago is definately going to win this...blah blah blah...there is no serious competition for Chicago so we will win." I don't think it will be that easy for them to win it.

And please stop trying to bring in the Toronto connection into this. Just because I'm from Toronto doesn't mean sh1t. Having an Olympics in Chicago would be attractive since it's not a long ride away from Toronto to attend.

I still think their stadium plan SUCKS!!! :P

I will admit that if you believe in the "rotation", then yes, it's easy to already picture the rings flying over Lake Michigan. But I agree with you, cities like Rome and Tokoyo will put up strong bids too and I think it will be a great compition. If it were easy, what would the point be?

"Sucks" is pretty strong. The concept is OK, but it does need refinment. The staduim as it exists now might work if just the Ceremonies were held there, but given that Athletics will also be held there, it needs more solid reality, not just pie in the sky.

Of course, now that Chicago has the bid, I imagine that it will be taken far more seriously and all the pieces will be polished to a high sheen. I suspect the IOC will be just as wary as others may be after what happened with NYC's stadium. So, Chicago better bring the A Game if they want it. For the record, I trust Chicago to do it and really impress a lot of people.

That's cool. You should be proud of your country and support its efforts. I just want you to admit that NYC would be a much better candidate at this time!!! Hahaha, let's hear it!!!! ;)

Absolutely NOT!!!!! :D I would rather spend a summer in Fargo, ND than admit that! :P

Actually here is where I am coming from. Before 1992, Barcelona was viewed as this nasty industrial city in Spain. Now it is viewed as one of the gems of Europe. The reason - because people were able to see it's beauty and culture because of the Olympics and now it is one of the top tourist destinations of Europe.

Chicago has long been associated as the city of Al Capone. That is so 1930's. It's time for the rest of the world to see the renassaince (sp) of the Windy City.

Archived