The Usoc Vote On April 14

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am feeling quietly confident that Chicago will carry the day on Saturday!

But then again,I was quietly confident that Paris would win 2012 and that New York would be the US candidate for 2016.So what do I know? :P

The excitement awaiting this decision almost feels like its a full-fledged IOC vote! ;)

The USOC choice on April 14, WILL be the host for 2016 SOG.

Hmmm, I wouldn't go as far as saying that.

The US bid will be a very strong bid and among the favourites for sure but anything is possible...

I don't think it's impossible for the IOC to chose Tokyo even if it comes only 8 years after Beijing (but I agree that a PC 2014 games won't help Tokyo).

And completely disregarding Roma would be a mistake.

The two US bids are not flawless (no bid ever is).

I am feeling quietly confident that Chicago will carry the day on Saturday!

But then again,I was quietly confident that Paris would win 2012 and that New York would be the US candidate for 2016.So what do I know? :P

The excitement awaiting this decision almost feels like its a full-fledged IOC vote! ;)

Yeah, this probably is going to be the big vote of interest here this year (yeah, I know we also have the 2014 winter games and commonwealth games, but they're of more limited interest to the wider community here).

Wish I could work out what time the announcement's gonna be on this side of the world _ oh well, I'm sure I'll find out here sometime on Sunday my time.

And yeah, it's not the guaranteed 2016 host, it's always foolish to take anythiung for granted, but whoever is chosen is going to be way ahead the front runner.

As much as the rotation favors North America for 2016, I still wouldn't be going gun-ho. Paris was widely believed to get 2012 & look who actually won in the end. Although, I can't see Asia getting another Summer Olympics before at least 2020. I think the European bids are going to present much more of a threat to North America than Tokyo.

As much as the rotation favors North America for 2016, I still wouldn't be going gun-ho. Paris was widely believed to get 2012 & look who actually won in the end. Although, I can't see Asia getting another Summer Olympics before at least 2020. I think the European bids are going to present much more of a threat to North America than Tokyo.

But let's not forget the 2012 games were destined for Europe. It's not really a big upset that another European city like London defeated Paris. And about 2016, the chances of Europe getting them have been severly diminished by London host 2012. It could be possible though so I'm not ruling it out.

I don't buy into the whole 2012 was "destined" for Europe thing, cuz geographically, 2012 favored N.A. as well. But that's a whole other issue that has been discussed profusely on here before.

But definitely, I agree, even though London severely diminishes another European victory, I'd still be concerned with bids from the major Western European cities that decide to bid. Makes one wonder though, for how long can the IOC stay away from N.A. The rotation's long overdue for N.A.

Well one of the most media covered parts of any Olympic Decision Day, the presentations, will not be open to media. To bad, I wanted to the see the new film by Chicago.

Nor will the ballot results. But I think this decision is wise if they want to gather as much support as possible around the winning bid.

The USOC has just announced a detailed schedule of the April 14th vote, including satellite transmission times across the country.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE – APRIL 14 (All times Eastern and subject to change.)

8:00 a.m. USOC Board of Directors Meeting begins (closed session)

12:15 p.m. Chicago 2016 Bid Committee media briefing (following presentation to USOC Board)

1:35 p.m. Los Angeles 2016 Bid Committee media briefing (following presentation to USOC Board)

4:00 p.m. U.S. Applicant City announcement

4:25 p.m. Joint USOC and U.S. Applicant City press conference

4:50 p.m. Runner-up city press conference

SATELLITE FEED

A live satellite feed will be provided of the announcement and candidate city press conferences. Media outlets can link to the satellite during the following times:

4:00-6:00 p.m. Eastern Time

3:00-5:00 p.m. Central Time (Chicago)

2:00-4:00 p.m. Mountain Time

1:00-3:00 p.m. Pacific Time (Los Angeles)

Link:

http://www.usoc.org/117_52066.htm

Los Angeles has announced public festivities on April 14th at the Grove to watch the USOC's decision, and though Chicago hasn't announced anything yet, I think Millennium Park is going to fitted with TV screens to show the announcement live.

LA 2016 Party Link:

http://www.nbc4.tv/sports/11738940/detail.html

Just found a nice little preview _ and quite a good summery _ of the USOC decision:

CHICAGO - Patrick Ryan long has taken on major endeavors.

He founded AON Corporation and built it into a Fortune 500 company. He changed the face of Northwestern sports with donations to build and renovate facilities. He has helped bring new faces to the arts as primary benefactor of the Lyric Opera's center for young artists.

None of that prepared Ryan for the unusual nature of his latest undertaking, which will end either in failure or become a measured success Saturday, when the United States Olympic Committee's board of directors selects either Chicago or Los Angeles as its candidate city for the 2016 Olympic Games.

``It's such a long game,'' Ryan, chairman of the Chicago 2016 bid committee, said in an interview at AON headquarters.

``Here we are, a year into it, and you have one shot now, Saturday morning, and a decision is made ... and then it's just to get into the next round, and you have 2( years before you find out whether you are the host city. In an age of instant gratification, it's a long process.''

Chicago and Los Angeles each will have an hour Saturday to make its case for the first time to the full, 11-member USOC board at a meeting in Washington, D.C. Until now, the cities have dealt with a USOC evaluation commission that includes four board members.

The board's mandate is to select the city it feels has the best chance to win an international competition that ends in October 2009, when the International Olympic Committee's 100-plus members vote for the 2016 host.

Boiled down, the USOC's choice is between a sprawling Los Angeles bid that looks like a sure thing financially but has a been-there, done-that quality, and a downtown-centered Chicago bid that looks eye-catching on paper but has the uncertainties that go with having to build the Games' three primary sites: Olympic Stadium, Olympic Village and aquatics facility.

Los Angeles, host of the 1932 and 1984 Olympic Games, has everything in place but a shooting venue and what will be temporary pools. Yet the distances between venues is a concern, especially given the perpetual traffic jams on Los Angeles-area freeways.

Money matters

Both cities recently have received legislative approval for funding of $500 million guarantees against shortfalls in their operating budgets.

Chicago 2016 officials project a $525 million surplus. Private developers are to build the $1.1 billion Olympic Village. The $2.9 billion operating budget, funded by TV, marketing and ticket revenues, is to cover all but $50 million of the $366 million Washington Park Olympic Stadium, which would be downsized after the Games from 80,000 seats to between 5,000 and 10,000 seats. Corporate sponsors will be sought for the other $50 million.

Los Angeles has a potential vote-swinging corporate ally in AEG, the biggest worldwide player in sports facilities and events and owner of several venues, including Staples Center and Home Depot Center, which would be used for an L.A. Olympics.

AEG, coincidentally an AON client, said in February it would ``travel the world'' in support of the L.A. bid. It began by pledging last month to spend up to $60 million enlarging the Home Depot Center as a home for Olympic sports athletes if L.A. wins the 2016 Games.

Chicago counters, Ryan said, with ``diverse allies corporately, not one, but many.''

Its most important ally likely is Mayor Richard M. Daley, whose ability to get things done by virtual fiat is more significant because the IOC likes to work with cities that find ways to avoid political red tape. Daley's efficacy in that area was evident in both the decision to bulldoze Meigs' Field and the City Council's lightning approval of funding for the Olympic guarantee.

``We think Mayor Daley is a terrific leader,'' USOC Chairman Peter Ueberroth said last July, when Chicago was named one of the U.S. finalists.

``I think the fact the mayor has been able to rally the business community into a public-private partnership such as Millennium Park is very important to anyone who says, 'Can this leadership get the job done?'

'' Ryan said.

The Chicago bid has not gone without opposition. Friends of the Parks has raised questions about the size of the stadium's permanent footprint. Others have expressed concern about the financing, fearing taxpayer money-the city guarantee-will come significantly into play despite Chicago 2016 projections of a surplus and the mayor's promises that no public money would be spent.

Both the mayor and his brother, Bill, the former U.S. secretary of commerce, are among the six speakers Chicago 2016 chose to address the USOC board Saturday. The others are Ryan, former CTA Chairman Valerie Jarrett, Olympic triple jump champion Mike Conley and Paralympic medalist Linda Mastandrea. Chicago 2016 also has prepared a new video to help sell the bid to the USOC board.

A spokesman for Los Angeles 2016 declined to identify its speakers.

The USOC has wound up giving its board complete leeway in making the decision.

One of the options originally discussed was for the board to get a recommendation from the evaluation commission and then vote whether to ratify that recommendation. But when the board votes Saturday, it will do so after receiving information from the evaluation commission on the strengths and weaknesses of each city's bid but no recommendation.

That is the approach the IOC has taken. Its evaluation commission prepares a report, but the reports recently have said little more than that all the finalists are capable of playing host to a successful Olympics.

Capability of being an Olympic host is a given in this domestic decision and less significant than the issue of which city is more likely to win enough IOC votes.

The 2016 Games seem destined for a city in the Americas, either Rio de Janeiro or the U.S. bidder. The 2012 Games are in London, and not since 1948-52 have there been back-to-back Summer Games in Europe. The 2008 Games are in Beijing, which reduces the imperative to select another Asian city, such as Tokyo, picked by the Japanese Olympic Committee as its 2016 bidder.

Many IOC members have expressed reservations about giving the Games to Los Angeles for a third time (London is the only three-time host).

Many IOC members admit to knowing little about Chicago but are aware of both Los Angeles' glitz and how the enormous success of the 1984 L.A. Olympics, despite the Soviet-bloc boycott, transformed the financial models for staging the Games and rescued the Olympic movement when no other city even bid for those 1984 Games.

Bill Daley's presentation is to address the issue of Chicago's international profile by emphasizing Chicago's position as a global city.

Perhaps they should have invited world-renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma to speak after the answer Ma gave Thursday to a question from a Chicago Symphony trustee about why he chose Chicago for his yearlong Silk Road Project, a global cultural exchange.

``I didn't choose Chicago; Chicago chose itself,'' Ma said. ``Far more than any other American city, Chicago has an incredible will to get things done.''

Chicago 2016 has raised $32 million in private funding for the domestic and international stages of the bid and received another $13 million of value-in-kind, mainly the services of lawyers, architects and other planners. The VIK and about $5 million already have been spent. Should Chicago lose Saturday, the remaining money likely would go to World Sport Chicago, an organization created this winter to enhance the bid by helping attract events in Olympic sports to the city.

``Chicago has benefited significantly from the bid process,'' Ryan said.

``The people of Chicago have gotten very enthusiastic about the Olympics and the possibility of hosting, but that stimulation of Olympic interest is a legacy coming out of the process. The village will be built, and I think that will be a great urban legacy stimulated by the process. We are committed to building World Sport Chicago, with an emphasis on Olympic sports in Chicago, a great legacy for the youth of Chicago and the Olympic movement.''

Los Angeles and Chicago have been in contention as Olympic host cities, both domestically and internationally, several times in the past.

Until 1960, there were no apparent restrictions on the number of U.S. cities that could enter the international phase of the competition.

More losses than wins

Los Angeles was a losing bidder in 1924 (Paris was selected), 1928 (Amsterdam) and 1948 (London). Los Angeles and Chicago both were losing bidders internationally in 1952 (Helsinki), when L.A. made the second round and Chicago was eliminated in the first.

Domestically, both cities were losers to Detroit as U.S. bid city for 1964 (Tokyo) and 1972 (Munich). Los Angeles also lost to Detroit for 1968 (Mexico City) and went out in the first cut of U.S. bidding for 2012.

Having been finally selected by the USOC over San Francisco for 1976, Los Angeles lost to Montreal in the IOC vote. It was the only U.S. city interested for 1980 and lost to Moscow.

Los Angeles was unopposed internationally in both its successful Olympic bids. The IOC selected Chicago over Buffalo and Philadelphia as 1904 host, then moved the Games to St. Louis after the city threatened to use its 1904 World's Fair to siphon interest from a nearby Olympics.

---

© 2007, Chicago Tribune

Every article I've read about the USOC and their decision this weekend has included references to deep pan pizzas and hot dogs set against 'beautiful' looking people with tanned skin and celebrities - Is this the best they can come up with?

Obesity causing junk food or surgically modified shallow individuals? Fat versus Thick?

Not that I've been, but Chicago seems to be one of the more interesting US cities architecturally, and they do have a growing cultural scene that does not just include pizzas or hot dogs (neither of which originated in the US anyway!).

Every article I've read about the USOC and their decision this weekend has included references to deep pan pizzas and hot dogs set against 'beautiful' looking people with tanned skin and celebrities - Is this the best they can come up with?

Obesity causing junk food or surgically modified shallow individuals? Fat versus Thick?

Not that I've been, but Chicago seems to be one of the more interesting US cities architecturally, and they do have a growing cultural scene that does not just include pizzas or hot dogs (neither of which originated in the US anyway!).

Stu, Stu, Stu. The deep dish pan pizza was invented in Chicago in the 40's.

As a 6'3", 190 lb man who has eaten and currently makes A LOT of them, I can assure you that the stereotypes you are referring to is no more accurate than that of a country filled with pasty skinned people with bad teeth that enjoy a good shephards pie with a side of tripe and some crisps. :P Ask Jacques Chirac. :D

As for the hot dog, it's orgins - in it's current form - are debatable. However it is considered an American staple. Part of the reason the Roosevelts served them to the King and Queen when they visited in 1939.

--------------------

BTW - I'm in Chicago right now! :lol: But I have to leave this afternoon. But I was at Sidetracks last night and there was a lot of talk and excitement about tomorrows decision! Needless to say, as everyone there I know is aware of my love of the Olympics they were buying me drinks all night.

Needless to say, I don't feel that well this morning. :blink:

Archived