Beijing Olympic Medal Design

That cloud-like shapes at the ribbons are cool, looks like this will be the Look of the Games that Beijing 2008 will use, simplistic but atractive, reminds me of Sydney 2000 look.

I didn't pick that up earlier, but you're right, the ribbons are a nice design and identifiably Chinese and I do hope they they will be part of the Look of the games. It also seems to tally with hints I have seen about that Red will be the colour of the games, or at least the main colour.

Edited by roltel

I didn't pick that up earlier, but you're right, the ribbons are a nice design and identifiably Chinese and I do hope they they will be part of the Look of the games. It also seems to tally with hints I have seen about that Red will be the colour of the games, or at least the main colour.

Yep, if you see this image from the official website, is the proof that the clouds will be the look of the games :P

Img212053952.jpg

I think that there are better ways of repersenting Nike, I don't mind the Hellenication of the medals, I just don't like the new design, with the stadium I just think its too busy.

Actually it's a statue that is at the museum of Ancient Olympia (what remains of it), from the 4th Century BC.

nike.jpg

-----------------------

I like the medals. The look beautiful.

Cheap medal,

IT shows how BOCOG can save Gold. Nothing can take place of pure Gold, Silver or bronze, front is stylish but back side is unimpressive.

The IOC mandates the minimum amount of metal for the medals, the medals have to be a certain weight.

The gold medals have to be a gold/silver alloy (similar to ones used for non-bullion gold coins) that has at least 6 grams of gold (about 105 euros at todays prices). They have not been pure in a very long time, it would be too expensive because most medals at at least a kilogram. To put that in prespective the RCM just released a 1 kilogram coin at 36,000 CND, that is unrealist for medals for the Olympics. Doing some rough math, it would mean for the gold medal to be pure that it would have about 22 ounces of gold or about 7,500 pounds sterling. Not to mention refining and minting costs.The silver and bronze metals must be mint quality pure 0.9999. The Chinese are fastly become a world leader in quality bullion production with there panda silver and gold one ounce coins. They are still far behind the much more advanced Australian, Canadian and British mints which are the three world leaders.

Some (SLC being the most obvious example) go overboard in metal quality and composition, those medals were massive in comparison to Sydney's and Naganos and solid metal.

Also jade is not something that is cheap, high quality jade (which the Chinese are probably using in these medals) and the size probably runs about 300 dollars per medal. The white jade is probably closer to 400 because its rarer.

I remember reading that sydneys medals were about 1,200 AUD for the golds, 700 AUD for the silvers and about 400 AUD for the bronze

Edited by Faster

• 2 weeks later...
Cheap medal,

IT shows how BOCOG can save Gold. Nothing can take place of pure Gold, Silver or bronze, front is stylish but back side is unimpressive.

i completely agree. the construction is cheap and it shows. how very chinese!

and sorry for the bump (not really).

Love these medals. The jade and simple logo on the back has really grown on me (I wasn't too fond of them at first), and the grill work is undeniably Chinese. Beautiful.

As for the ribbon, love it as well. Can't wait to see more of Beijing's "Core Patterns", that will make up the 'Look' of these games. I'm assuming they'll be different designs and graphics revolving around Beijing's Color System (Jade White, Glaze Yellow, Great Wall Grey, Porcelain Blue, Scholar-tree Green, and Chinese Red.

Sorry to interrupt this thread. I will be gone in a moment.

I am just trying to get a few more people to take part in our Grand National Gamesbids sweepstake in the General of-topic section. You just need to pick a number to take part.

Thanking you kindly.

Well, it took me more than two weeks to notice that Beijing's medals are already out... I'm getting old, I guess. :lol:

Anyway, I think that Beijing has delivered good work with those medals. They certainly look typically Chinese and that's what it's all about. I very much like the design of the ribbons, too.

But one thing appears a little bit strange to me: The look of Nike, the Panathinaiko Stadium and the Akropolis on the reverse. I know that this is the new standard for all Summer Olympic medals and that it shall commemorate the Greek tradition of the Games -- but it's such a typically Athenian image that it's difficult to associate with other Olympic Games than those of Athens in 2004. However, I think one will get used to that over the years.

Well, the Panathinaiko stadium hosted the first Olympics of the modern era. If you look from the hill over the stadium, on the top left corner you can see the Acropolis (like the medal design).

The statue of Niki (=victory), was a gift (anathema), from the people of Nafpaktos and Messinia, to the temple of Zeus, and they gave it because they won the Spartans in the battle of Sfaktiria in 421 BC. It represents the goddess that steps down from mountain Olympos to announce the victory of the 2 allies.