Beijing Olympic Medal Design

Img214027808.jpg

Back

Img214027811.jpg

Front

Img214027833.jpg

Img214027831.jpg

Medal Design Video (WMV)

Today (500 days to the opening) the design of the Beijing Olympic Medals launch at the Capital National Museum.

The design incoperated with elements of the traditional Chinese jade. In the Chinese culture jade plays an important role. It brings kindness, happiness, peace and health to the people.

The jade incoperated in Gold, Silver and Bronze medals are different. For the Gold medall it is a White Jade, which is the most noble one.

None of your links work and the Bejing site seems to be down (I'm sure I've had problems with it in the past too, hopefully they'll get it sorted soon!)

----

Scrub that, seems to be working fine now.

Lovely design. Understated but classy.

Edited by Rob

Lovely design. Understated but classy.

I agree. However, I thought that they would go for an octagonal shape (that being the 'good luck' bagwan shape in feng shui).

And it's to bad that the fancy curlicue- grillwork gets obscured when the ribbon is put on. (I still think I had the better design.)

Love it! Classy, nice blending of Chinese culture and traditional Olympic medals (the Summer Games Organizing Committees have lesser freedom than those of Winter Games when it comes to medal creation).

That's quite a contradiction.

What did the old design look like?

medals.gif

2000-1.JPG

I think this deisgn better than the new one

Beijing is really not doing anything new or original with the use of jade, Albertville used glass, Lillehammer used granite and Nagano used laquer.

The 6 grams of gold only is 105 euros, thats not a lot of gold

medals.gif

I think this deisgn better than the new one

Beijing is really not doing anything new or original with the use of jade, Albertville used glass, Lillehammer used granite and Nagano used laquer.

The 6 grams of gold only is 105 euros, thats not a lot of gold

I don't mean to antagonize you, but I just don't understand what you mean.

How is using jade unoriginal?

I don't mean to antagonize you, but I just don't understand what you mean.

How is using jade unoriginal?

I think what Faster is trying to say is that it's not original because that they are using another stone like Jade that has already been done before with the likes of Albertville using glass, Lillehammer using granite and Nagano using laquer as Faster mentioned.

I don't necessarily agree to a full extent but it is original to the Chinese culture to use jade and makes the medal much more distinctive. I just don't like the design that much but it ain't ugly or anything.

I think he also means the 'obverse' side of the medal -- with the figure of Nike. Faster, I believe the Beijing version now incorporates the 'current, correct' design of the obverse, as corrected for the Athens '04 Games (showing a standing Nike figure against the Panthalikon Athenian stadium vs. the sitting Nike against the Roman Colosseum background).

Probably come another 90 years or so, they will update the 'obverse' again, so even that may change.

i little correction (i sound like a smart-ass i know) it is the Panathinaikon Stadium.. it was changend by Athens 2004 the give the olympic games its original hellenic character... Nike is flying with open wings into the Panathinaikon Stadium the Stadium of the first Olympic Games of the modern era and the last Olympic Games (2004) to praise the best athletes... There is no real connection between the Games and the Colloseum, as it was not a arena of athletism but a place where violence was presented as entertainment.. The "new" design is absolutely fantastic.. The Beijing medals are very beautiful, very lice...

Not bad...very simple and classy. But I kind of wish the Summer medals had the same design freedoms as the Winter medals. There is some "niceness" to the consistant look, but at the same time, it creates a really unique statement when the design is different with each Olympiad.

I expected a little more of the reverse of the medal (like the Heaven Temple or the Chinese Wall), but anyway, not bad. I love a lot the place where the ribbons will be introduced, very chinese. Nice idea to use Jade, since is a very popular & representative stone from China (but anyway, nothing new, like nykfan845 said :lol: )

The front side of the medal is like i expected: from now on, the medals will use the new Athens Nike goddes design instead of the old-school Nike of Antwerp.

That cloud-like shapes at the ribbons are cool, looks like this will be the Look of the Games that Beijing 2008 will use, simplistic but atractive, reminds me of Sydney 2000 look.

Not bad medals, they appeared more faster that the Athens ones :o , i thought that they would show them up more later. Good bonus before the unveiling of the torch design & relay.