Sign in to follow this  
LA84

Montreal 1976

Yeah i was there over Thanksgiving weekend and there were groups of ppl in the pool.

This post is just about the city itself. According to AskMen.com, Montreal was voted the MOST BEST city in the world to live in.

It seems that the some of the venues from Montreal 1976 could be used for another Games, if the city is rumored to be bidding for it: the 2013 World Masters Games. However, mr.x is probably going to like this. It is rumored to wanting it, too.

This post is just about the city itself. According to AskMen.com, Montreal was voted the MOST BEST city in the world to live in.

AskMen.com is a Montreal based website.

I can almost gurantee that on June 30, 2006, when the last check is cut for the Big Owe that it will make the national news in both Canada, the U.S. and the BBC.  

Perhaps we should arrange for a GB party to celebrate that day!  :idea: Cocktails at Juan Antonio's place in Montreal?

Okay,  I have a question about the swimming venue in Montreal.  When I was in Montreal this past weekend I took a tour of the stadium (it actually ended up being a one on one tour since I was the only one taking the tour at that time)

When we saw the swimming venue I noticed alot of people swimming in there.  Which leads me to my question - can the general public just go in and swim in that pool?  If so,  I think that is very cool!!!  I mean,  swimming in a pool that held an olympic event to me is just great!  Had I been in Montreal longer I would have gone back there and went for a swim :).

You can swim at the Atlanta 1996 aquatic center as long as GT has nothing going on there, and I think you have to be with someone for GT, I was at least.

-------

Montreal's stadium is amazing. It is such a wonderful piece of modern architecture. I love it. How many floors of office space are in the tower? Is it like a skyscraper size or how many stories?

Montreal's stadium is amazing. It is such a wonderful piece of modern architecture. I love it. How many floors of office space are in the tower? Is it like a skyscraper size or how many stories?

Apparently there is 300,000 square feet of office space available which isn't really that much.  But hey - it brings in $1m a year in rentals

Montreal's Leaning Office Space

7 months until it is all paid off!  :grinning:  I think GBModerator should do a countdown thingy on GB's home page  :D

Did the proposed restaurant for the overhanging tower ever open?

I think it opened some time when the tower was bulit. Now the Tower is used as a facility for meetings and weddings to birthdays!

Just to let you now the OLYMPIC TOWER is the tallest free standing tower in the world.

Six months until Olympic Stadium is paid off!  :cool:

And I still think it and the grounds surrounding it are among the most beautiful legacies of the modern Olympics.

I still have outstandings memories of those games just like it was yesterday.

I was in the stadium for the ten events of the decathlon won by Bruce Jenner.

I was also there when the U.S. women's 4X100 leaded by Shirley Babashoff defeated finally Kornelia Ender and the east German team in the pool at the very last race of the very last night of the swimming events. The crowd, mostly americans, became nuts.

Unfortunelly, I didn't buy any gymnastics tickets, so I miss all the Comanecci fever.

It was great games. And one thing I realize now, since I saw few others games, is how the proximity of each venues was nice compared to others games I saw. Almost all venues linked to a subway exit, almost all on the same line.

Even Rowing and Canoe-Kayak was at only less than five minutes from downtown. (only one stop on the yellow subway line)

Yeah, very great memories.

And the funniest thing is that long time after the games, I get a job for the NHL Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club, so my office was in the Montreal Forum (from 1989 to 1996, until we moved to the Molson Centre), the home of all the gymnastic events and maybe the greatest olympic moments.

Another coincidence, I lived at the Olympic Village (in the pyramids) since 15 years. After long research, I learned that my appartment on 12th floor was used by the French Track and Field team. Maybe my room was the one of Guy Drut, the winner of the 110m hurdles.

You now understand why my avatar is the 76 logo :P

You guys will not believe this. The "Big Owe" has officially got all its debts paid off!

Link: CBC: Quebec's Big Owe Stadium Debt Is Over

Man, what would the city of Montreal would have done with all that money, if it didn't have to go through all that in the first place? <_<

Now that 30-year financial fiasco is over, what will become of the stadium now? The CBC has an interactive short history about how it came about:

Link: CBC's Snapshot History Of Montreal's Olympic Stadium

The stadium was spectacular, too bad this didn't gained more fame that the scandals of the tower and the fiasco of the games. Anyway, looks like that Calgary learned from their errors and they did a great games, sadly, as it happened on 1976, Canada won no gold medal. That's why they are doing the ''Over the Podium'' project for Vancouver 2010. The games are best remembered for Nadia Comanneci triumph on the games, for sure.

The seventies decade was totally caothic for the olympics (a terrible terrorist attack & one of the greatests fiasco's on Canada history), and after the massive Moscow 80 boycott, the games were dying and Lord Killanin couldn't hold it more and quited. For good or for worse, the all-time criticized exagerated LA'84 merchadising was one of the things that saved the olympic movement, as they gaved examples about how to use the money (these were the first olympics with NO collab of the goverment, but for only enterprises like Coca-Cola & the same Hollywood)

Olympic Stadium and the nearby Olympic Village are by far the most exciting designs ever built for an Olympics. Say what you will about Tallibert but his designs for the Olympics was far more advanced than anything we have seen since.

Had the costs not soared out of control and stayed to the original $250m estimate I think people would still be marveling at it much as they do Sydney's Opera House.

I am astounded, however, that 30 years later they still can't get that roof to work properly! :o I read somewhere that they no longer use Olympic Stadium during the winter because there is fear that the latest roof is going to collapse and that it is going to need replaced - again. <_<

But then again, it WAS designed by a Frenchman. And the French seem to have a problem with buildings falling down. :lol:

That aside I am glad that the people of Montreal and Quebec have finally payed it off.

855819-Olympic_Village-Montreal.jpg

olympic_village.jpg

Edited by LA84

Well, for the roof a permanent, rigid roof will be placed, which should solve the problem once and for all (after 30 years... Its about time!).

Well, for the roof a permanent, rigid roof will be placed, which should solve the problem once and for all (after 30 years... Its about time!).

I had read that. I guess my point is that with all the technological advances that have occured over the last 30 years, and with all the retractable stadiums now commonplace, you would think that someone would have finally figured out how to solve Tallibert's roof problem, keep it retractable and find a material that will stand up to Montreal's harsh winters!

Edited by LA84

I had read that. I guess my point is that with all the technological advances that have occured over the last 30 years, and with all the retractable stadiums now commonplace, you would think that someone would have finally figured out how to solve Tallibert's roof problem, keep it retractable and find a material that will stand up to Montreal's harsh winters!

The retractable roof with any material that is fabric will not be able to perform because the design is totally fawled. As a cartoonist in montreal said about the model used to sell the concept and I paraphrase him . "basically tissue paper and rubber bands was the retractable roof cover in the model" . They have tried kevlar, they have tried teflon. And I believe the same material that is on the denver airport terminal building for the roof there was the replacement for the version three of the big owe roof.

The material works great in other places. It is the french architect who was wrong with the application of the products. Roof fabric Three they are talked about replacing all ready 7 years in because of structural defects that are now showing. That roof was to be financed for 30 years at 6 million a year. The fire marshall will not permit events while snow load is on the roof. You can have statically positioned fabric roofs which work very well for many years in many places but a retractable fabric roof with a dynamic load position is asking for problems. You have wind loads, snow loads to deal with and engineering is the key with autocad lifecycle modeling and refinement of a design but that works with statically placed roof systems only. The tension can not be controlled absolutely 100 percent of the time with a roof fabric in the thiebert design. That is the problem . Steel Cables supporting a large piece of fabric from above allows too much movement to keep the fabric from breaking down in the conditions.

All retractable roof systems today are a kin to bridge making not sailboats. almost all are steel sheeting on steel trussing with the one exception being reliant stadium in houston inwhich the roof in stretched fabric over a steel frame system. Tension is needed for wind resistance and the tension has to come from a couple of places . The montreal olympic stadium is a failed attempt to push the bounds of engineering that was directed from the mind of a mad french architect. The same company that put the origin fabric roof on the big owe has many sucessfiul installations world wide. All are static and involve steel beams and steel cables on the inside for support.

The Denver International Airport is four years older then the current olympic stadium roof in montreal and it is not having the engineering wear . THe Canada place

fabric roof is much the same as denvers international airports roof but it was installed before the 1986 expo . As static perminent roofs fabric is proving it is a great media. AS a dynamic structure it is great or the americas cup sailboat races and the is about it.

Jim Jones

Good attempt at explanation, jim. However, what I can't understand in NOt making the thing work is...when there is heavy snowfall, RETRACT the roof before the snows come in! Duh! Don't fight the forces of nature.

Shouldn't it really just be used only for rain and an event with TOO much sunshine? Or, like many things in life, is that concept too simple?

Good attempt at explanation, jim. However, what I can't understand in NOt making the thing work is...when there is heavy snowfall, RETRACT the roof before the snows come in! Duh! Don't fight the forces of nature.

Shouldn't it really just be used only for rain and an event with TOO much sunshine? Or, like many things in life, is that concept too simple?

The roof fabric would never come into the tower at all let alone be completely sheltered . The kelvar roof ripped in the retracted position and in the covering position. It would rip with a high wind or bad rain storm. THe blind faith that was put in this architect was unreal. They actually had seats that were rated for indoor arenas believing the stadium complete with retractable roof complete. in 1991 they replaced lower bowl seats because the originals were crap from weather exposure. Of course is wasnt for 11 years after the 1976 games and there was a season that fabric number one had to be taken down and a new solution found. In 1993 they replaced the kevlar roof with teflon and 6 years later that roof had the rip that had the montrel auto show with injuried workers and the auto show moved to the molson centre from then on. Retracting the roof made the situation worse exposing the fabric as a loose sail. Remember this fabric was the same stuff bulletproof vests are made of. KEVLAR. This architect has gone on to design other stadiums yet he never tried the same trick again. UM wonder why .Yeah no wonder the first experiment with the suckers in canada failed totally LOL. the fabric weighed 130,000 pounds for the kevlar. You also have to consider the apex of the roof was 171 feet from the playing surface and the top of the tower was 574 feet tall or 6 feet taller then the washington monument. Go up on the outside of a 574 foot building even on a calm day and it will be windy . You have a downtown not far away with 5 buildings taller then the tower on the big owe and those would disrupt wind flow . then there is all the other buildings in montreal . Then you have interferance with the stadium tower itself . When this white elephant was designed wind studies were not done , There was not autocad computer drafting and engineering. So it ws blind faith with no prior project like it drafted with pencil and paper on drafting tables. A fabric roof now is tested to the dynamics that act on the roof in the environment it is too be placed. If there are problems it isnt an experiement . you find the problem on a autocad program and adjust your design to solve the problem before you construct. The Tower had to be re engineered as it was good that the rush to complete the stadium ended without the tower being complete. It was found that if they had of built the tower with concrete completely it would have most likely colapsed into the

field at any random moment. The upper part of the twoer was completes with steel and stuccoed. This was how bad the design was.

A lovely piece of art that is a disaster commerial, functionally and from every other imaginable stand point.

The concept seemed simple for a guy from france but the old saying is baffle them with BS applies here. This guy would come to montreal and present every excuse of why the roof would not work . He blamed everyone but himself. The blame was clear the architect from france and the mayor of montreal who let him do it. 15 million was thieberts fee and a percentage of the final cost. Too me he should have paid the province back 15 million for engineering folly that cost 2 billion dollars including interest.

here look for yourself http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1316-7926/...ic_games/clip12

It is very comically how anyone who lived in montreal could defend the olympic stadium using in the same breath the Effiel Tower. The sports writer at the end of the clip was right . Emplode it and sell the peices at 5 dollars a piece and had a 10 dollar a ticket lottery with the winner pressing the button

No one is going to occupy that stadium. The liability is too much and the building is outdated. A couple of fifa u 20 matches next year and maybe if it doesnt snow heavy the grey cup will be played in the olympic stadium.

jim jones

why not get rid of the roof and have an open-air stadium? and instead of spending on a new roof, use that money to weather proof the interior of the stadium.