Jacques Rogge Said "very Close"

Guest Sochi 2014

Guest Sochi 2014

Rogge said the three cities bidding for the 2014 Winter Olympics were "very close." The candidates are: Sochi, Russia; Pyeongchang, South Korea; and Salzburg, Austria. The IOC will select the host city July 4 in Guatemala City.

Rogge said Salzburg's candidacy would not be affected by doping allegations against the Austrian delegation at the 2006 Turin Olympics.

Source?

If that's what Rogge said, yes,I also believe the race is tight. It would be too rush to say that one of the cities is the frontrunner as of now. But I think PC has a slight advantage over Sochi and if we assume that Salzburg won't get the Games (for reasons we've discussed, like no interest in the public, too known as a destination)then it should be PC's time now.

This race is very close. It doesn't really have a clear favorite. Some like to keep leaning on the fact that Pyeongchang lost out for 2010 by 3 votes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're gonna get the same number of votes this time. I mean, I doubt Paris would be coming back for 2016 thinking that they'll win simply because they lost 2012 by 4 votes. Plus, Salzburg's bid has gotten much better than last time & there isn't a European Winter Games preceding these, like there was back for 2010 when Turin was hosting 2006, which most likely affected Salzburg's 2010 poor showing. And to a lesser degree, you can't entirely dismiss Sochi. Albeit, a long shot, but I still think it has a slim chance of making an upset.

I want to make a defense about Korea's winter sport ability not being only singled to the Short Track event because that is not entirely true.

If you look into the Winter Asian Games result of 2007, you will see that Korea Republic won many medals in other areas like speedskating, Ice Hockey, Alpine Skiing, and Curling...

Also at an international event, a teenage figure skater, Yunna Kim, won the Figure Skating title.

I think this very much proves of Korea's expansion into dominating other events in Winter Sports. Thus, it is not a fair argument to say that since Short Track is the only event that Korea has talent in, it does not deserve the Winter Olympics.

I say this because in terms of facts, Korea has made great strides in its expansion to developing other areas of Winter Sports, despite never hosting the Winter Olympics. Also, today's concept of winter sport is a totally Western idea, which makes me want to say that of course it makes sense for an Asian country to lack in some areas of winter sport when compared to Europe.. I mean, everyone starts out small in the begining...

But I can use that same argument that because Asia lacks skill in some areas of winter sport events, more Winter Olympics and other international winter sport events should be promoted and hosted in Asia...

Just my 2 cents...

Korea has made great strides in its expansion to developing other areas of Winter Sports

I agree, relative to where they were 15 years ago the progress is great. However, Russia has waited for 100 years since its first Olympic winter gold to get its first OWG. Could S.Korea wait a bit longer please? :rolleyes:

it is not a fair argument to say that since Short Track is the only event that Korea has talent in, it does not deserve the Winter Olympics

See Igaya's comment above hinting to the contrary

you will see that Korea Republic won many medals in other areas

The fact is that S.Korea has NEVER had ANY medal in OWG outside speedskating

many medals in other areas like ... Ice Hockey...

Then why are they not even among the top 16 nations who come to the IIHF world champs in Russia next month? :P

Then why are they not even among the top 16 nations who come to the IIHF world champs in Russia next month? :P

OK, found it.

IIHF World Country Ranking (current)

1 SWE

2 CZE

3 CAN

4 FIN

5 RUS

6 SVK

7 USA

8 SUI

9 LAT

10 BLR

11 KAZ

12 GER

13 UKR

14 DEN

15 NOR

16 AUT

32 KOR

About Igaya's statement, I don't think he meant it to how you are intepreting it.... He meant that PyeongChang should continue to further develop winter sports to the region, but that doesn't mean he meant that PyeongChang didn't deserve the Olympics... Otherwise, that's an extreme statement for him to say to the media (he is suppose to play the neutral role).

To prove this sentiment, he even stated "If PyeongChang hosts the 2014 Winter Olympic Games, it will be a great help to promote winter sports here in Asia..."

Furthermore, my overall point that I was stating was the fact that Asia is a region still new in development to winter sports. Even your list of top hockey teams prove my statement, that winter sports is a "western" concept. But another point that I was trying to make was to show Korea's recent achievments in the development of winter sports, and not only that, show you the potential in those achievment.

So to disregard Korea's "deserving" position to host the Winter Olmpics would be unfair as to disregard Russia's "deserving" poisition to host the Olympics.... Although for Salzburg, I don't know how to defend it in the same way since Austria has hosted the Winter Olympics more than any of the two other bidding countries. Maybe the Salzburg 2014 supporters could fill in for me here... :)

So to disregard Korea's "deserving" position to host the Winter Olmpics would be unfair as to disregard Russia's "deserving" poisition to host the Olympics.... Although for Salzburg, I don't know how to defend it in the same way since Austria has hosted the Winter Olympics more than any of the two other bidding countries. Maybe the Salzburg 2014 supporters could fill in for me here... :)

But you have also to remember that Innsbruck 1976 stood in for Denver, which withdrew, and helped the Olympic Movement in that situation. Even Mr Igaya pointed this out, when he was in Salzburg.

I agree, relative to where they were 15 years ago the progress is great. However, Russia has waited for 100 years since its first Olympic winter gold to get its first OWG. Could S.Korea wait a bit longer please? :rolleyes:

For a country that won its first winter Olympic gold 50 years ago (not 100 years, Russia/USSR's first winter Olympic medal was in 1956), why has it taken them so long to bid for a Winter Games? (even counting their 2002 "bid") Perhaps Russia could wait another 4 years please? ;)

For a country that won its first winter Olympic gold 50 years ago (not 100 years, Russia/USSR's first winter Olympic medal was in 1956)

Of course it may be difficult even to imagine that winter golds were won 100 years ago ;)

For your information, the first Russian gold in figure skating was won by Nikolay Panin in March of 1908 at London Games (summer and winter sports were together then before separating into 'season' editions). B)

But you have also to remember that Innsbruck 1976 stood in for Denver, which withdrew, and helped the Olympic Movement in that situation.

Good point.

However even one is more than none. ;)

This argument can also be extended to the whole of Alps.

As you know 10 out of 20 OWG were held on the same range, which is not the only beautiful place on earth :rolleyes:

Of course it may be difficult even to imagine that winter golds were won 100 years ago ;)

For your information, the first Russian gold in figure skating was won by Nikolay Panin in March of 1908 at London Games (summer and winter sports were together then before separating into 'season' editions). B)

One of my favorite bits of Olympic trivia. However, the 2 figure skating events of the 1908 London Games were really more like 'Exhibition' or test events. Organizers were trying to see how feasible organizing 'ice' competition as part of a bigger Games were. And then of course, it was only 16 years later when things came together in Chamonix.

About Korea's low-standing in ice hockey, well, what about the last winter host, Italy? They also aren't/weren't among the top 15; yet they won the right to host a Winter Games. So if one looks at the repeat Winter host countries:

USA - 4; France - 3; Austria, Italy, Japan, Norway, Suisse, Canada (by 2010) - 2 each; then 2014 should come down to PyeongChang and Sochi.

what about the last winter host, Italy? They also aren't/weren't among the top 15; yet they won the right to host a Winter Games.

Italy is 17th and they are actually coming to Russia next month for the IIHF world champs.

The difference is that Italy has got over 100 OWG medals across most winter sports, while S.Korea has none except for speedskating

then 2014 should come down to PyeongChang and Sochi.

Agree, and we'll play a hockey match in the final :)

Italy is 17th and they are actually coming to Russia next month for the IIHF world champs.

The difference is that Italy has got over 100 OWG medals across most winter sports, while S.Korea has none except for speedskating

I don't really think it's fair to hold So. Korea's WOG medal count to the US and European tallies. So. Korea is a nation just coming into its own, and so is playing catch up with what essentially are European-originated sports. It's not fair to hold non-European/No. American countries to the vast lead of Euro-No. American countries in WOG medals. It shouldn't reflect on their ability to host nor the joy their local populace can bring, NOR the new markets it will open to these otherwise Euro-centric sports. One has to start somewhere. (Japan and China also had to start somewhere.)

One of my favorite bits of Olympic trivia. However, the 2 figure skating events of the 1908 London Games were really more like 'Exhibition' or test events.

So a couple of more bits of Olympic trivia here from olympic.org

1. Figure skating is the oldest sport on the Olympic Winter program. It was contested at the London Olympics of 1908 and again in 1920 at Antwerp.

2. The first World championship in figure skating was held in St. Petersburg, Russia in 1896. B)

One has to start somewhere.

Getting experience in winter sports by developing world-class athletes is a good way to start.

C.Igaya seems to have the same PoV (see above)

I don't really think it's fair to hold So. Korea's WOG medal count to the US and European tallies. So. Korea is a nation just coming into its own, and so is playing catch up with what essentially are European-originated sports. It's not fair to hold non-European/No. American countries to the vast lead of Euro-No. American countries in WOG medals. It shouldn't reflect on their ability to host nor the joy their local populace can bring, NOR the new markets it will open to these otherwise Euro-centric sports. One has to start somewhere. (Japan and China also had to start somewhere.)

Exactly. And to be honest, I'm already quite happy with Korea's Winter Olympic record. 17 golds and 31 medals is pretty impressive when you compare that to other non-North American and non-Western European countries. I did a quick search and only about 15 or so countries have ever won more than 30 medal in the Winter Olympics. So to be among that distinguished crowd despite being a real latecomer in winter sports shows to me that they're making progress.

Getting experience in winter sports by developing world-class athletes is a good way to start.

C.Igaya seems to have the same PoV (see above)

By the same token, hosting the Winter Olympics and building world-class infrastructure would be a great way to inspire the youth of the *host* nation, so they can turn into world-class athletes. In this respect, Korea would benefit a lot more than Russia (and Austria).

Archived