A Youth Olympic Games?

As I pointed out in another topic, it seems that Jacques Rogge wants to initiate the idea of "another Olympic Games" for the youth. From what I can fathom, it could be an "international version" of those, like the European and Australian Youth Olympic Festivals. Also, from this BBC article, it was a pet project of the IOC president himself and he wants the inaugural one to start as soon as 2010. I can also assume from this that it will be for the SUMMER sports. I guess, in part, that the Commonwealth Youth Games (which will be holding its THIRD edition in 2008 in Pune, India) was somehow one of the catalysts for this idea. What do you think of this plan to have "another Olympic Games?"

Link: BBC: Rogge Wants Youth Olympic Games

_41966786_rogge203.jpg

Edited by Guardian

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I pointed out in another topic, it seems that Jacques Rogge wants to initiate the idea of "another Olympic Games" for the youth. From what I can fathom, it could be an "international version" of those, like the European and Australian Youth Olympic Festivals. Also, from this BBC article, it was a pet project of the IOC president himself and he wants the inaugural one to start as soon as 2010. I can also assume from this that it will be for the SUMMER sports. I guess, in part, that the Commonwealth Youth Games (which will be holding its FOURTH edition in 2008 in Pune, India) was somehow one of the catalysts for this idea. What do you think of this plan to have "another Olympic Games?"

Link: BBC: Rogge Wants Youth Olympic Games

_41966786_rogge203.jpg

I already thought there was one, but it must have been the Olympic Youth Festivals I was thinking about. How integrated with the IOC are these festivals anyway _ I assume they would have to be IOC endorsed to use the "Olympic" name?

It's a fair enough idea, but I doubt they'd get much attention _ the Youth festival in Oz ear5lier this year (or was it late last year) got almost no coverage or attention in the media here _ and that's in the host country!

I already thought there was one, but it must have been the Olympic Youth Festivals I was thinking about. How integrated with the IOC are these festivals anyway _ I assume they would have to be IOC endorsed to use the "Olympic" name?

It's a fair enough idea, but I doubt they'd get much attention _ the Youth festival in Oz ear5lier this year (or was it late last year) got almost no coverage or attention in the media here _ and that's in the host country!

I think they are not integrated much, if at all. The closest one the IOC has is the European ones. Other than that, I think Jacques Rogge here wants one with the likes of the regular Olympiad. This is just my educated guess, but I would have to guess that they (the youth) would have to qualify for the "youth Olympic Games" by beating the set standards in their age group in certain sports. And, my hunch is saying that they may have to use the likes of the European or Australian ones (AS EXAMPLES) to qualify for such potential "youth Olympics."

The AYOF is organised by the Australian Olympic Committee, and the EYOF is organised (by an Organising Committee) through the Association European Olympic Committees (EOC). Whilst both are endordorsed by the Olympic Movement, they are coordinated by bodies in the "Olympic Family Tree" - just like the Pan American Games are coordinated by PASO.

I would say that European Games (just as Asian Games and Pan American Games) are much more interesting. Also it is a good event for "smaller" European cities, such as Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest, Stockholm and Warsaw to organise.

http://www.moscow2001.olympic.ru/sports_mo.../index.html?l=e

Here is another page that gives a fuller description:

7 thousand young athletes aged 11-18 from 131 countries.

Medallists from 68 countries.

15 sports: track-and-field (678 reps from 87 countries, including some future Olympic champions), gymnastics, football, basketball, volleyball, handball, fencing, wrestling, swimming, tennis, etc.

Olympic family: 32 IOC members, 43 NOC Presidents and 13 National sport ministers

J.A. Samaranch called it 'absolutely new event in the international sport that had all the reasons to develop and take its permanent place in the Olympic calendar'.

And now, curiously, we have it as a new idea :)

I think it's an interesting idea. I'm just not very keen on calling it The Youth Olympics. The Olympics are special and they should be left as an inspiration to young athletes to reach one day. The World Youth Games would be better, I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the idea's going ahead:

BEIJING, April 25, 2007 (AFP) - The International Olympic Committee said Wednesday that it would inaugurate a new Youth Olympics for 14 to 18-year-old athletes from 2010.

``Such an event will serve to encourage 14-18 year olds to engage more in sport,'' the IOC said in a statement released during its executive board meeting here this week.

IOC president Jacques Rogge told a press conference that the summer and winter Youth Games would last between seven and 10 days in contrast to the longer open-age Olympic Games.

He said around 1,000 athletes would compete in the winter Games and up to 3,000 in the summer edition.

The inaugural summer Games would be in 2010 followed by a winter Games two years later. No host cities had yet been decided, he said.

Just what the world needs in inter-summer games years, another event to fight for sponsorship dollars with the Winter Games, World Cup and Commonwealth Games.

Oh, boy. This could get messy. Like, what is there for qualifying for this potential event? My guess is that this kind of event could be staged in cities that may have "no chance of hosting the big one." Of course, that's just my POV at this time.

2010 - Athens, Greece

2012 - Chamonix, France

I do not like this idea at all, the only benefit would be it would pretty much raise the age athletes inter Olympic competition to at least 18.

Never mind that other international Games could suffer, if they are not suffering right now by under-exposure. There can only so many of these events athletes and the general public can tolerate, before it becomes too boring and stale.

Never mind that other international Games could suffer, if they are not suffering right now by under-exposure. There can only so many of these events athletes and the general public can tolerate, before it becomes too boring and stale.

It will probably be an event that would get a lot of attention from the host country, but little from anywhere else, just like a lot of the youth world championships.

It will probably be an event that would get a lot of attention from the host country, but little from anywhere else, just like a lot of the youth world championships.

Exactly. You can include the Universiads in that. And often not even the host country pays attention.

I would say that European Games (just as Asian Games and Pan American Games) are much more interesting. Also it is a good event for "smaller" European cities, such as Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest, Stockholm and Warsaw to organise.

I like more this idea,too.

Oh, boy. It looks like the IOC is leaning toward the idea of sanctioning the event and it will most likely start in 2010. In other words, it is "going to happen."

Link: IOC: IOC Executive Board Welcomes Idea Of Youth Olympic Games

Note: There is a link to a .mp3 podcast interview about this idea. Listen to Jacques Rogge's POV regarding why he suggested the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) idea in the first place.

For now, these "Youth Olympics" are nothing more than an idea still to be sanctioned/dropped by the IOC. That's why I was bit 'shocked' when I read this on the site of a national sports diary (translated from Portuguese):

Portugal wants the Youth Olympic Games

FIRST EDITION WILL BE HOSTED IN 2010

Portugal is a candidate for the organization of the Youth Olympic Games that will be celebrated in 2010. The Youth OG will have their first edition exactly in 2010 and our country wishes to become the host, with Lisbon already on the front line as bidding city ( :huh: )

The competitions will assemble about 3,000 athletes and the Portuguese trump will be the experience gained in 2009, the year when the Portuguese capital will host the second edition of the Lusophony Games. This event would be the dress rehearsal for the organization of the Youth OG.

The chosen date for the first edition will also work as am extra motivation for the national intentions. In 2010, the Portuguese Republic will celebrate its centennial and hosting the Youth OG would be a good way to mark this historical occasion.

Link

There's no source, not even the article's author name. I'm gonna search for more info to validate this strange news.

Portugal would be a good choice, it would be nice to allow smaller countries to host an IOC sectioned event.

I think that if this idea was to go through the dates should be changed to 2011 and 2013 to not interfere in other major events.

I would also like to see places like Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia, Algeria, Morocco, Vietnam, India, New Zealand, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico et al, ya know countries that have no hope of hosting the summer games in the near future.

It would be interesting to see New Zealand host the winter version as a test run.

Portugal would be a good choice, it would be nice to allow smaller countries to host an IOC sectioned event.

I think that if this idea was to go through the dates should be changed to 2011 and 2013 to not interfere in other major events.

I would also like to see places like Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia, Algeria, Morocco, Vietnam, India, New Zealand, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico et al, ya know countries that have no hope of hosting the summer games in the near future.

It would be interesting to see New Zealand host the winter version as a test run.

Besides, Lisbon has already hosted the also Rogge-inspired EYOF, back in 1997 (!) with about 2,500 athletes + officials, so 10 years later, we're perfectly able to welcome +3,000 competitors.

Yes, it would be nice to have smaller countries feeling proud of hosting an official IOC event.

Rogge said the YOG won't be "mini-Olympic Games" but it sure will seem so: the Olympic protocol will be followed, only Olympic sports/disciplines will be contested, and there will even be an Olympic village.

He also hinted that there were already many bidders (that could include Lisbon afterall - I wonder...)

NBC: IOC to introduce Youth Olympic Games

I´m a little bit concerned that they would be held in the same year as the "big"-olympics , because they would get lessattention as they will get anyway...maybe they should be held one year after the olympics...for example...first in 2011,then 2013...and so on....just a idea...

Prior to 1994, did the same situation happen to the WOG? Was it the reason for the transition? If it was, then I agree the YOG should be on odd years.

I don´t know...

I think the IOC has to put very big effort in this games that thy become as big as the original olympics...

Prior to 1994, did the same situation happen to the WOG? Was it the reason for the transition? If it was, then I agree the YOG should be on odd years.

The main reason for not organizing the Winter and Summer Olympics on the same year anymore is that it was becoming a logistics / financial nightmare for everyone involved: NOCs, Media, Partners...

It also gives a greater exposure to the Winter Games.

Finally, thanks to the shift, there is an Olympic event every year: N : Summer Games, N +1 Election of the host city for the N+8 Summer Games, N+2 Winter Games, N+3 Election of the host city for the N+10 Winter Games and so on.