YOUR VOTE ON THE 2000 OLYMPICS

Attila

Which city other than Sydney do you believe deserved the 2000 Olympic Games?

I voted for Beijing, closely followed by Berlin.

Beijing because China is a massive country and for that reason could have easily made a fine home for the 2000 Olympics. Berlin would have been great too, been quite significant for the re-United Germany.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dpn't know if you've heard this or not... but Istanbul was at opne point was also referd to Islambul Right after it was taken from the Greeks then it was changed to Istanbul... it would make sence since Istanbul was the religious capital of the Ottoman Empire... have you heard anything similar before?  ???

I dpn't know if you've heard this or not... but Istanbul was at opne point was also referd to Islambul Right after it was taken from the Greeks then it was changed to Istanbul... it would make sence since Istanbul was the religious capital of the Ottoman Empire... have you heard anything similar before?  ???

Yes, I have heard such word games with geographical names before. For example Vienese in the times of the Habsburg monarchy used to say "Judapest" because around 1900 of the 1 million inhabitants of Budapest art least 1/4 were Jews.

(even today some 100.000 Jews live in Hungary on a total population of little over 10.000.000, which makes Hungary the coutry in Europe with the highest proportion of Jewish population. Contrary to other Central and Eastern European countries, relatively few holocaust surviving Jews emigrated to Israel)

But I am not trying to refer to this as a word game... I am pretty serious... have you ever heard of Istanbul being also referd to as Islambul?  ???

It does sound like a slur, but I look and found this...

"Explore the city that joins Asia and Europe -- Istanbul, Turkey.  Located on the Bosphorus it was settled in the 7th century BC by the Greeks and conquered in the 2nd century AD by the Romans (who remaned it Constantinoplis).  From the 6th century to 1453, it was ruled by the Byzantines until the Ottoman Turks too control and renamed it 'Islambul'...the name was changed to Istanbul as it was very close in spelling and easier to pronounce by the Turks.  A masive port city with a population of 12,000,000 people, the city is divided into 3 "sections"...Asia & Europe (divided by the Bosphorus) with Europe divided by the 'Golden Horn' into Europe and Old Istanbul."

It does sound like a slur, but I look and found this...

"Explore the city that joins Asia and Europe -- Istanbul, Turkey.  Located on the Bosphorus it was settled in the 7th century BC by the Greeks and conquered in the 2nd century AD by the Romans (who remaned it Constantinoplis).  From the 6th century to 1453, it was ruled by the Byzantines until the Ottoman Turks too control and renamed it 'Islambul'...the name was changed to Istanbul as it was very close in spelling and easier to pronounce by the Turks.  A masive port city with a population of 12,000,000 people, the city is divided into 3 "sections"...Asia & Europe (divided by the Bosphorus) with Europe divided by the 'Golden Horn' into Europe and Old Istanbul."

According to most sources "Istanbul" is a bastardization of Greek "Eis ten poli", meaning "in the city".

Wow... thank you for the information Mr.Dictionary!

I guess I learnt a new word and its meaning to day!  :0

I understand you interpreted it negatively because the core of the word "bastard", I really would not know an alternative or it in English  ??? Anyone else?

PS: in Dutch it is "verbasteren", basically the same word.

Wow... you read my mind!

Is there any other city in the world that had undergone numerous or perhaps more name Changes than Istanbul???

I mean look how much it has changed!

Byzantium

Constantinople

Islambul

Istanbul

whats next?  ???   :0

Wow... you read my mind!

Is there any other city in the world that had undergone numerous or perhaps more name Changes than Istanbul???

I mean look how much it has changed!

Byzantium

Constantinople

Islambul

Istanbul

whats next?  ???   :0

Many other cities, to stay with the example of York I used recently:

Eburos

Eboracum

Eoforwic

Jorvik

York

In roman times London was called Londinium...I don't know how it mutated in to London from that though? Perhaps when the Normans invaded it became Londre for a while?

The city I Live in has been named:

Brigstowe

Bristowe

and today...Bristol

In roman times London was called Londinium...I don't know how it mutated in to London from that though? Perhaps when the Normans invaded it became Londre for a while?

Brigstowe

Bristowe

and today...Bristol

Are you sure?  Isn't Bristol from Welsh "bris tull" = "broken chasm"?

Perhaps Bristull was the originall name, then it was "anglicized" to Brigstowe and then "celticized" back to Bristol?

Brigstowe

Bristowe

and today...Bristol

Are you sure?  Isn't Bristol from Welsh "bris tull" = "broken chasm"?

Perhaps Bristull was the originall name, then it was "anglicized" to Brigstowe and then "celticized" back to Bristol?

No...it was originally called Brigstowe....it was named after the  crossing point on the River Avon which it grew up around..."Brig" meaning bridge.

There is a lot of debate as to where the ancient kingdom of Avalon was situated...the Kingdom of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table....one theory is that Avalon was named after the River Avon that flowed through it and that Bristol...or a site near Bristol was the site of Camelot...King Arthur's castle.

Before Wales was a unified nation ...South Wales and South West England formed the Kingdom of Harlech.... I think King Arthur came after this, if in fact Avalon was  located in the South West? i know he was a Saxon King...the Saxons established a kingdom in this area called Wessex...(West Saxon)...there is also and Essex and Sussex that exist today...and a Middlesex which was situated in what is London today.

Little bit of brit-history for you :)

I would want to take your word for it, but it just does not seem logical to me that an old city's name in Celtic core territory could have an anglo-saxon etymology, when even cities in east Anglia (York) can be traced back to a Celtic root...  :0

I would want to take your word for it, but it just does not seem logical to me that an old city's name in Celtic core territory could have an anglo-saxon etymology, when even cities in east Anglia (York) can be traced back to a Celtic root...  :0

I guess it depends when the settlement was established. I doubt Bristol existed at the time of the Celts...it developed between 577 and 978AD and was given an old english name. "Avon" however is  the old Celtic word for River...so clearly the Celts had an impact in this area of some kind. York is not in East Anglia btw.)

• 9 months later...

I think, that Berlin had a brillant bid for the 2000 Olympics.

The bid planned  two mainsports complexes, one in the western part of Berlin and one in the eastern part.

Westberlin:

Olympic Parc: Baseball, Modern Penthalon, Athletics, Hockey, football

Olympic Village

Sports Halls in the Fairgrounds Area : Table Tennis,Volleyball,Basketball,Badmonton,Fencing,...

Main Media Centre

Olympic Hall (near the Brandenburger Tor): Handball and Gymnastics

Eastberlin :

Jahn Sportpark( Swimming and Cycling Hall): Judo, Swimming Boxing

Youth camp: Wuhlheide

Equestrian Sports Centre :Hoppegarden

Some Eqestrian events would had been in the Royal Gardens of Sanssoucci

The concept can be regarded as a fictive bridge from the west, to the eastern part of Berlin, which was devided, because of the Berlin Wall.

Sailing would had been held in Rostock

:wwww:

Actually the Berlin bid was judged by most to be the worst of the five final bids for 2000. Its costs were easily the highest of any of the bids for one main reason. While many big corporations (Daimler has been implicated in this) were contributing money to the bid, they were themselves helping themselves to money from the public purse-this was a big scandal in Berlin when it came time to audit the bid committee a couple of years after the vote.

Then there was the scandal involving the Berlin committees' possession of a dossier on the sexual tastes and preferences of all IOC members-a document added to by them buying core info from the Atlanta organisers.

Berlin also had a large anti-Olympic population (remember the 'NOlympic' group) as well as an alarmingly volatile Neo-Nazi presence.

The Berlin bid might have had a lot to offer in terms of sport but this was lost in the many scandals.

Archived