Cwg Future.

Alexjc

The reason they appear to be expensive is because nations go over the top with facilities. For example, was there any need for Kuala Lumpur to build a 100,000 seat stadium?

From my understanding, KL had already planned for the whole national sports complex before they would bid for the CG. We already had the 80,000 stadium in Shah Alam which could fill easily during football matches. So I guess it would be ok for them to go for the 100,000 to be labeled as the "National Stadium". We've seen many events held there after the CGs that take up full capacity.

Was there a need for the 100,000 stadium? I guess so.

There are people here who would've wanted a smaller stadium, so that the maintenance cost could be easily handled, but to me, it's the job for the sales & marketing people to get the events held there... to keep the bills paid! You've got the best facility there is, promote!

Yes, Singapore is a city that would really look good as a host. They were quite jelious of Malaysia in 1998, It's pretty obvious that Malaysia is still sore that they let Singapore go in the late '60s.

If the city state does bid, what's to stop Malaysia from fronting up with Penang, since it would be twenty years since KL hosted.

Mayasia is extremly wealthy, and is one of a VERY few nations that can host a CWG in future.

Sore is not the word to describe the Msia-Spore thingy... RIVALRY is more like it, with KL and Spore trying to outdo each other in every single thing.. lol! Which is good. Although Spore had a great head start since the Brits had planned Spore as the biz and financial center and KL as the admin center for the colony.

Penang is dealing with transportation upgrade at this moment with the construction of the 2nd bridge linking the island to the mainland, and the monorail service, plus the introduction of RapidPenang bus-rail integration throughout the whole island city.

KL could easily host another CG if they want to. Penang already has that 40,000 stadium and I don't think they need a bigger one there.

With the multi billion dollar development currently happening down south, it wont be surprising if Malaysia comes up with a JB (Johor Bahru) bid. JB is 1/2 hr away from Spore by road. Maybe by Msia putting up a JB bid, we can share responsibilities and host some sports in Spore.. :lol:

But at this moment, to me KL is still the best option for Malaysia, if we decide to give it another go. The only thing for KL is to construct another athlete's village.

I think that you will se 2014 go to Africa, 2018 back to Asia and 2022 back to Africa and than the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand will lose interest and not waste there time with an organization that takes geography far too seriously.

As said, Malaysia is spoiled for choices in future CWG bids.

Few Countries can qualify as a host nation, let alone a city.

Canada, U.K., Australia, India and as mentioned, Malaysia are nations that can afford to hoist, the problem is the city that wants to host them. Halifax was spooked by the cost and lack of national enthusisim, enough to scare off any potential bidders.

As an outside chance, South Africa, New Zealand, and the West Indies may host, but as I have mentioned in the case of New Zealand, they ARE expensive to host for little international exposure. Unlike the America's Cup, Rugby World Cup, or the Winter Olympics,

The Nations that WOULD matter are simply not there.

I think that you will se 2014 go to Africa, 2018 back to Asia and 2022 back to Africa and than the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand will lose interest and not waste there time with an organization that takes geography far too seriously.

I can't speak for the UK, Canada, Australia etc. but the commonwealth games still get huge coverage here in NZ and the interest is quite high. In NZ the com games gets about the same amount of media coverage than the olympics.

Sore is not the word to describe the Msia-Spore thingy... RIVALRY is more like it, with KL and Spore trying to outdo each other in every single thing.. lol! Which is good. Although Spore had a great head start since the Brits had planned Spore as the biz and financial center and KL as the admin center for the colony.

Penang is dealing with transportation upgrade at this moment with the construction of the 2nd bridge linking the island to the mainland, and the monorail service, plus the introduction of RapidPenang bus-rail integration throughout the whole island city.

KL could easily host another CG if they want to. Penang already has that 40,000 stadium and I don't think they need a bigger one there.

With the multi billion dollar development currently happening down south, it wont be surprising if Malaysia comes up with a JB (Johor Bahru) bid. JB is 1/2 hr away from Spore by road. Maybe by Msia putting up a JB bid, we can share responsibilities and host some sports in Spore.. :lol:

But at this moment, to me KL is still the best option for Malaysia, if we decide to give it another go. The only thing for KL is to construct another athlete's village.

Actually hes right , S'pore & M'sia argue almost on everything . They are actually arguing over some tiny lighthouse island in the South China sea , then there was the Pulau Tekong reclaimation issue .

I was wondering if Malaysia & Singapore could bid a WC together , thats the only way we'll play in the WC XD

From my understanding, KL had already planned for the whole national sports complex before they would bid for the CG. We already had the 80,000 stadium in Shah Alam which could fill easily during football matches. So I guess it would be ok for them to go for the 100,000 to be labeled as the "National Stadium". We've seen many events held there after the CGs that take up full capacity.

Was there a need for the 100,000 stadium? I guess so.

There are people here who would've wanted a smaller stadium, so that the maintenance cost could be easily handled, but to me, it's the job for the sales & marketing people to get the events held there... to keep the bills paid! You've got the best facility there is, promote!

But why build a 100,000 seater stadium which was rarely full during the Games, which is the primary event it was built for? I'm sorry, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Surely it is more prudent to build the facilities that are actually needed rather than grand arenas you can't fill. Look at Manchester. They didn't build an 80,000 capacity stadium for the Commonwealths, did they?

Fair enough! Why should Hamilton bother? They were ignored twice, by the CGF and Canada.

Hamilton will probibly wait untill 2023 to make a bid.

But would another Canadian city get in there first?

We will have to see here, arwebb. If Hamilton does go that way, then I wouldn't be surprised if another Canadian city would want to go for a Commonwealth Games.

Depends what happens with Hamilton's possible 2017 Expo bid. Still early stage but if the city takes it serious than I'll personally bet Ottawa will be chosen and have an excellent chance for 2018 Games. If Hamilton decides to pursue Commonwealth Games it'll go for 2018.

If Ottawa or any other Canadian candidate gets 2018 and Hamilton went for 2017 Expo then that would be enough gap for Canada or more specifically Hamilton to bid for 2030 Commonwealth Games.

Depends what happens with Hamilton's possible 2017 Expo bid. Still early stage but if the city takes it serious than I'll personally bet Ottawa will be chosen and have an excellent chance for 2018 Games. If Hamilton decides to pursue Commonwealth Games it'll go for 2018.

If Ottawa or any other Canadian candidate gets 2018 and Hamilton went for 2017 Expo then that would be enough gap for Canada or more specifically Hamilton to bid for 2030 Commonwealth Games.

Just as long as we don't end up repeating that sad performance. Besides, I bet those CGC guys are still "in hiding" somewhere.

2023? I say wait another few years and go for the 2030 bid for Hamilton. It'll be 100 years after hosting the first Commonwealth Games, that would be more special.

<_< 2023!!! Bid Year for 2030!

Archived