Cwg Future.

Alexjc

:huh: Hearing that Halifax has ditched it's bid for '14, I left wondering why Canada put forward a city that seemed to lack the vigor of it's Ontario rival, Hamilton. Canada is a regular CWG host (and good on them) and it seems Western Canada is the regular haunt for most of that nation's international multi-sport hostings. Sadly the Eastern side has Montreal 76 in IT'S history books and maybee this has reflected on Halifax, scaring them off on an event that misses out on the really big sports nations that would make a difference.

We are now left with a totally unexciting two horse race between a untrustworthy newcommer (Nigeria) and a tired old hand raiser (Scotland). Wow. (sic)

We seem to forget that we are dealing with a multi-sport event for Athletics and get carried away with "rejuvenation of the city, hope for our children, and economic sability" while costing Billions to host (yes thats not an exageration) ecetera ecetera ecetera.

The Games themselves are becomming VERY expensive to host, let alone to go and watch. The biggest highlites are the Opening, and Closing ceremonies as well as 100 meter finals day at the track - try getting tickets to those, and I dare you try and front up on Swimming finals sessions at the pool asking for a ticket under a $100.

The Athletes themselves now expect the facilities to have the latest this and that gadgetry, the pool to be as flat as glass and clear as crystal, the running track to literally do the running for them, city streets that guide the road race pelleton without any effort on the cyclist whatsoever. And all this just for a multisport event that only a quarter of the worlds best actuall show up to.

The nations that would be real crowd pullers are not there, ie USA, Russia, China, Japan, Brazil, and Europe.

Little Nations that once hosted this event (treating it as a national endevour) are beginning to seriously shy away from them (my homeland, New Zealand a case in point). Smaller cities that would suit the games now fear ruin if their national government won't help (Halifax).

So it leaves us with Oil rich but morally corrupt administrations with abnormally deep pockets (and I'm not talking about the USA here) and "So called" nations that can get funding from it's wealthier next door "neighbour".

If the USA finally shows up at the games, they would throw Australia clean off the top of the medals table and if it were to host, don't expect the CWGs to be held in a premium city, and expect them to be hosted on a college campus somewhere along the Northeastern Seaboard.

Still when they are on, the CWGs are still a hoot to watch, and a great half time event 'tween the real thing, The Olympic Games.

:huh: Hearing that Halifax has ditched it's bid for '14, I left wondering why Canada put forward a city that seemed to lack the vigor of it's Ontario rival, Hamilton. Canada is a regular CWG host (and good on them) and it seems Western Canada is the regular haunt for most of that nation's international multi-sport hostings. Sadly the Eastern side has Montreal 76 in IT'S history books and maybee this has reflected on Halifax, scaring them off on an event that misses out on the really big sports nations that would make a difference.

We are now left with a totally unexciting two horse race between a untrustworthy newcommer (Nigeria) and a tired old hand raiser (Scotland). Wow. (sic)

We seem to forget that we are dealing with a multi-sport event for Athletics and get carried away with "rejuvenation of the city, hope for our children, and economic sability" while costing Billions to host (yes thats not an exageration) ecetera ecetera ecetera.

The Games themselves are becomming VERY expensive to host, let alone to go and watch. The biggest highlites are the Opening, and Closing ceremonies as well as 100 meter finals day at the track - try getting tickets to those, and I dare you try and front up on Swimming finals sessions at the pool asking for a ticket under a $100.

The Athletes themselves now expect the facilities to have the latest this and that gadgetry, the pool to be as flat as glass and clear as crystal, the running track to literally do the running for them, city streets that guide the road race pelleton without any effort on the cyclist whatsoever. And all this just for a multisport event that only a quarter of the worlds best actuall show up to.

The nations that would be real crowd pullers are not there, ie USA, Russia, China, Japan, Brazil, and Europe.

Little Nations that once hosted this event (treating it as a national endevour) are beginning to seriously shy away from them (my homeland, New Zealand a case in point). Smaller cities that would suit the games now fear ruin if their national government won't help (Halifax).

So it leaves us with Oil rich but morally corrupt administrations with abnormally deep pockets (and I'm not talking about the USA here) and "So called" nations that can get funding from it's wealthier next door "neighbour".

If the USA finally shows up at the games, they would throw Australia clean off the top of the medals table and if it were to host, don't expect the CWGs to be held in a premium city, and expect them to be hosted on a college campus somewhere along the Northeastern Seaboard.

Still when they are on, the CWGs are still a hoot to watch, and a great half time event 'tween the real thing, The Olympic Games.

Well that is a good summing up of the games today. Halifax's ardent opponents did have the memories on Montreal dancing thru their heads and that was exploited well with many a person stating about montreal 1976's debt finally being paid off last year.

Why did halifax get the bid? Well the talk is Paul Martin the former liberal prime minister had his hands all over it for a couple of reasons. Hamilton had a Sheilla Copps who became and enemy of the Former Prime Minister because of some very public liberal party politics that played out. That could be a revenge factor that denied Hamilton the domestic bid. Then Paul Martin's love to africa is well know and it is believed that running a totally weak canidate city would serve two purposes. A. split the vote between two old commonwealth nations against an african vote. B. Paul Martin would limit the possible liablities of actually hosting with the weakest canidate while gathering political points in the HRM for being the good guy to bring a stadium to the city.

Without major TV markets and major league countries in the CWGs it is really a curiosity of a the modern orld why people would celebrate british imperialism.

As to America and the northeast university thing well NCAA colllege sports have bigger tv revenues in 4 years the the entire history of commonwealth games tv rights combined. A place like University of Tennessee in Knoxville would be pretty close to having the facilities for host a commonwealth games believe it or not.

jim jones

I don't see how the modern Commonwealth Games have anything to do with the old Empire. Don't preach at me about the history, because I know it, but perhaps you could explain why nations such as Ethiopia and Rwanda, who have no previous historical connection with the Commonwealth, have expressed desire to join. That doesn't seem to me to be an organisation which is dying on its backside.

I don't see how the modern Commonwealth Games have anything to do with the old Empire. Don't preach at me about the history, because I know it, but perhaps you could explain why nations such as Ethiopia and Rwanda, who have no previous historical connection with the Commonwealth, have expressed desire to join. That doesn't seem to me to be an organisation which is dying on its backside.

The original line is the expensive nature of the event, not the Commonwealth its'self. THEY (the games) ARE very expensive for what they are. Really a litmus test for the Olympics, and not a good one at that as I have mentioned, the major sports nations are not in attendance.

As for the Commonwealth -

Yes, we are starting to see non "Empire" countries expressing interest in joining the forum of nations in it. And the standards are high for membership, Zimbabwe and Fiji are out for now. No doubt returning once their respective dictatorships are overthrown. Probibly the reason for the Commonwealth's popularity is the fact that the United States IS NOT there and many nations feel more relaxed in open forums without the fears of America's talons baring down on them. Australia only gets laughed at when it tires to flex it's puny muscles, just ask Malaysia on that one.

Makes one wonder, if the IOC recognized the Commonwealth Games because the USA, Russia, China and others are not in it. It is one unique international Games that doesn't try, at least as best as it can, to have it being "politicized" every time that its "main word" is used, like the word "Olympic." Well, that could be a major stretch for me to say that because there are too many unknowns about how it is different from other Games and world championships. Never mind to try to make it revelant in an ever changing world. It will not be easy at all.

So, it comes to a bigger question. Does the Olympic Games need to follow the example of the Commonwealth Games or should it be the other way around?

The original line is the expensive nature of the event, not the Commonwealth its'self. THEY (the games) ARE very expensive for what they are. Really a litmus test for the Olympics, and not a good one at that as I have mentioned, the major sports nations are not in attendance.

The reason they appear to be expensive is because nations go over the top with facilities. For example, was there any need for Kuala Lumpur to build a 100,000 seat stadium?

The reason they appear to be expensive is because nations go over the top with facilities. For example, was there any need for Kuala Lumpur to build a 100,000 seat stadium?

KL's gunning for the Olympics. And Malaysia was totally in the throws of Nationalistic fever.

But your right, some venues have been built way over the top. Melbourne is an abberation as the MCG had a track dropped in it and it's redevelopment was already well underway long before Melbourne got the games. Melbourne had many facilities in place as it is sports central for Australia.

I suppose we will have to look to New Delhi to see how far these games will go, and as it now looks likley, Abuja as well.

Abuja looks likely? How?

< This looks like it's going to be another Flag waving opportunity for a dictatorship. - I fear Glasgow will fall thanks to all the black hands that will rise up for Abuja (and I wouldn't put it past NZ voting for Abuja as well).

Still, a cut down version of the games, say prehaps a Manchester sized event would be great, even an Auckland size event with only four team sports complementing the regular line up. This would really help with costs.

I just don't think Abuja is the done deal that some people would like to make out, especially against a good Glasgow bid.

I agree with you. I'm not saying Abuja isn't in with a chance _ there's lots of reasons it could indeed win, but the race is certainly far from settled already, and the indications are that the Abuja bid team are showing their inexperience in the bidding procedures.

Oh well, I guess we've got anopther six months plus of this tooing and froing between the Abuja and Glasgow advocates. Ho hum.

Oh well, I guess we've got anopther six months plus of this tooing and froing between the Abuja and Glasgow advocates. Ho hum.

Yes Ho Hum! Thanks to the excellent choice of candidates! Cold verses Ugly.

Nice one Canada! (oh and you too South Africa). If Glasgow holds on and Abuja fails, it will be yet another last one standing victory.

Proving the CWGs are lackluster enough for cities to walk away before it's too late.

doubt it

Acctually your probibly right. Still, Glasgow? Scotland again? At least Canada has massive diversity to not make their bids boring.

Glasgow would be a shoe in if Abuja was not biding. It is not just the factor of Abuja biding as an African Bid with that continent never hosting. It is the set of facilities they have on the ground today that that those facilities were put up on time and on budget. For all the moaning and complaining about the All African games I read a passage this morning by Jacques Rogge that said he felt the games were run very well. I dont think you get a better endorsement of the capacity of Abuja then the president of the IOC.

Glasgow will probably not win the bid for the same reasons Hamilton was denied for 2010 but Glasgow I am sure they would go after the 2018 games and win because they are building for the future. Commerically and Marketing wise Glasgow has played some very good cards but the payback from New Delhi is going to come back for Africa and Abuja will be the benefactor of that.

When you start to see British media people crying about what Nigeria spends on health care and education compared to the cost of the all african games you perhaps seeing a who they think may win this. I dont think the british press is saying that glasgow should do something about the Feral boys, The heroin addicts , or the violence for wearing a glasgow rangers or celtics jersey on your doorstep while you are being murdered.

All cities and countries could do a great deal more socially but you have to ask how much you do and is your own society perfect???

Myself of you have your financial house in order ad have the facilities or atleast 70 percent then it is worth the venture. Halifax failed on both counts.

jim jones

Since we've pretty much vented our concerns about 2014, what about 2018?

What cities would front up to those?

If Abuja fails later this year, would that leave Durban or Cape Town available?

Another bid from Australia? Or a final bid from New Zealand.

This will be the real litmus test, especially if Jac Roggie gets his way and creates the Youth Olympics. What city wouldn't want those for a test case for a full Summer Olympics.

This will be the real litmus test, especially if Jac Roggie gets his way and creates the Youth Olympics. What city wouldn't want those for a test case for a full Summer Olympics.

thats a good point, if a Youth Olympics is created then i believe that the commonwealth games will become even less attractive and cities would rather host a YOuth Olympics! This would give cities world wide exposure and i agree it would be a test case for cities considering hosting a summer olympic games

Well, if we're talking Abuja failing, that would leave anywhere in the UK out. I'd also say Australia's out (too close to Melbourne 2006, still).

Abuja might have another crack, but I wonder if South Africa would be patient enough to sit another one out to give them a clear go. And if both Nigeria and South Africa bid, that would probably split the African vote. Still, head to head, I'd put Capetown or Durban as odds-on to beat Abuja in a a two-horse race.

It will be interesting to see if Canada would try again. Maybe Hamilton could bid independently. It's hard to say whether a Canadian bid wouold be hamprered by, or help to restore, their credibility after the Halifax debacle.

With India out of the way, Asia's hopes would rest on Pakistan or Singapore. Either, though, would be hampered by proximity to Delhi 2010.

Which leaves NZ. I'm not sure what you mean a final bid _ I really don't think the CWGs would outgrow NZ's capacity, and they'll be potential contenders for many rounds to come. I'd prefer Wellington to bid, but it seems the interest is from Auckland or Christchurch.

So, on the assumption that Abuja DOESN'T win 2014, I'd say 2018 would be a race between South Africa (Capetown/Durban) and NZ.

Canada will make a bid for 2018 but we know it won't include Halifax. Hamilton's Mayor said after the Commonwealth officials rejected another Canadian bid to replace Halifax that Hamilton will prepare for a 2018 bid. So already Hamilton has its foot out the door for the 2018 bid. I'm sure they'll be a domestic bid first though.

Can't they just give us the bid already? lol Wanted that 2010 bid but didn't get it. Wanted the 2014 bid but the Canadian Commonwealth officials had pro Halifax members so Hamilton didn't get it. It's like someone is screwing down the bolts for the city's ultimate dream.

That's the part that drives me nuts. Hamilton is a city that's screaming, kicking, yelling, and hollering to host the Commonwealth Games back in its birthplace again yet it seems outside of Canada no city seems to be enthusiastic about placing a bid.

Singapore might finally bid that one ! It really depends on 2018 if Abuja don't win , South Africa might just bid . I think Nigeria try again , hopefully Lagos

It will be interesting, considering that some of us have been wanting the city-state to bid for one for a while. And, in turn, it decides to "withdraw" or not to pursue it for one reason or another.

Yes, Singapore is a city that would really look good as a host. They were quite jelious of Malaysia in 1998, It's pretty obvious that Malaysia is still sore that they let Singapore go in the late '60s.

If the city state does bid, what's to stop Malaysia from fronting up with Penang, since it would be twenty years since KL hosted.

Mayasia is extremly wealthy, and is one of a VERY few nations that can host a CWG in future.

Sadly I can't see Pakistan hosting in my lifetime. That country seems to be backsliding further and further while their much bigger next door neighbour begins to become a more powerful economic force in the region.

Archived