Valencia 2007

No racing in our port today, with wind arriving to 35 knots!

Who said Valencia had no wind? :wacko:

talk about one extreme to the other! The weather needs to make up its mind

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LV Semifinalists: Oracle, Emirates, LR and Desafio (first time for a spanish challenge)

4vpn5f4.jpg

In being the first, Oracle wins the right to choice its opponent in the semi.

Not just yet - Oracle and ETNZ still have to race, this will decide the chooser!

Not just yet - Oracle and ETNZ still have to race, this will decide the chooser!

Both will choose the Spanish team, so...

sorry, you're absolutely right. I thought that the points difference between Oracle and NZ was lower and that the first place was still uncertain. :)

btw here we are with the definitive LV semifinalists ranking.

6ccxky9.jpg

First classified, Emirates NZ, has chosen Desafio Espanol as its opponent. In the other side it's gonna be Oracle vs. LR.

The defender and the 2 couples of challengers.

4kbkbo5.jpg

Congratulations to all the other teams which partecipated at this America's Cup.

6cxg3km.jpg

Well done to all the teams that hevn't made it through, at least the talent pool is strong for the next LVC round robin series, where ever that may be! (Valencia, San Fransisco, Auckland or Genoa!)

What a needless competition and what a waste of money!! Unbelievable!!! I just hope that every boat had private sponsors and the port of Valencia has not been refurbished with money from the taxpayer of the region of Valencia, of Spain or of the EU.

What a needless competition and what a waste of money!! Unbelievable!!! I just hope that every boat had private sponsors and the port of Valencia has not been refurbished with money from the taxpayer of the region of Valencia, of Spain or of the EU.

Well no Team NZ did recieve backing from the NZ government but I don't think you would find many kiwi's that would have a problem with that. If sailing isn't your thing then fair enough, don't hate on it just for the sake of it mate, some of us really enjoy it.

Well no Team NZ did recieve backing from the NZ government but I don't think you would find many kiwi's that would have a problem with that. If sailing isn't your thing then fair enough, don't hate on it just for the sake of it mate, some of us really enjoy it.

exactly! Good point! The America's Cup is a big thing for many kiwis

How is it anymore needless than F1 racing, A1 GP or any other competition for that matter.

While sailing is not a hugely popular sport in that many countries, if we look to here in New Zealand, there was a statistic that 1 in 3 households in Auckland have some kind of boat.

And I think New Zealand winning the cup (more so in 95) has shown that you dont have to be a financial superpower to actually win the thing, you just have to be smart.

As has been mentioned, the NZ Govt did give some backing to team New Zealand, but they can see what financial spinoffs would come if the Cup was back in Auckland. Actually, it is probably the best evidence of what it can bring to a place. The govt saw what happened first hand in 2000 and 2003, and it was obviously good enough to want to come back for more.

It saw a rundown area of Auckland turned into an amazing public space, the Viaduct Basic. It is now home to restaurants, cafes, and was much needed in the city.

Sounds to me like Valencia was kind of the same, Port America's Cup looks great.

I would love to see the Cup back here, and hopefully it would help speed up the tankfarm redevelopment along the rest of the Auckland waterfront.

Well, if you Kiwis like sailing, then sail as much as you want and with every boat you like. It doesn't bother me.

But maybe you can understand me when you see it from a German perspective. It was obviously clear at the beginning that the German boat had no chance to reach a good result. We don't have the experience, we don't have enough experts, we don´t have good sailing areas for a necessary and good preparation. Sailing is the same for us like alpine skiing for a Ethiopian. It is senseless.

Well, if you Kiwis like sailing, then sail as much as you want and with every boat you like. It doesn't bother me.

But maybe you can understand me when you see it from a German perspective. It was obviously clear at the beginning that the German boat had no chance to reach a good result. We don't have the experience, we don't have enough experts, we don´t have good sailing areas for a necessary and good preparation. Sailing is the same for us like alpine skiing for a Ethiopian. It is senseless.

Well if little old NZ can do it, I don't see much stoping a German team. Givin NZ is one of the worlds stronger sailing nations but A large part of it come down to the financial backing. I mean the defending boat Ahlingi is based in Switzerland! Don't think they have many good sailing areas.

As an Anglo nation, for NZ, it's really hard to see from the German's point of view. ANYHOW Germany is and has a fine yacht racing pedigree, the fact that Team Germany failed in it's first America's Cup shouldn't deterr a second challenge. There are more than enough sponsors in Germany that could fund another challenge. Remember that this LV was Swedens second atempt, and SA's first - they are coming back.

the best possible start for team new zealand! Great Work. 1 race down 4 to go

Don't hex it Warren!

I've been through two heart shattering losses in the LV Cup to start saying things like that. Unlike 1995, New Zealand ISN'T invincible.

Don't expect an easy road for this Team New Zealand, that "magic" isn't there this time, just alot of hard work ahead!

I'd say the same for Luna Rossa. Despite the great and unexpected victory of yesterday they have to stay en guard anyway. There are still 4 races to win.

Moreover is to say that while Desafio gains always more knowledge every match they play, Oracle will promptly react to the defeat.

Archived