Valencia 2007

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What can one say _ it's a sports event for extremely rich people who have nothing better to do and can afford to sit in a luxury marina, downing cocktails while they wait for a few puffs of wind to eventuate. Then go off and play at being sailors well offshore and away from the prying eyes of the riff-raff.

I Still can't get over the fact that NZ is still in the game. Unlike most other syndicates in Valancea, ETNZ is a semi New Zealand Government funded Public Works event.

It has cost the NZ taxpayers US$200million over the last twenty two years, but gained an incrediable US$1.2billion in revenue, and still counting. A good investment I'd say.

As for the UK (or Australia) not being there...No excuse!

Anyways some great results today...

New Zealand and Shosholoza winning their flights!

I Still can't get over the fact that NZ is still in the game. Unlike most other syndicates in Valancea, ETNZ is a semi New Zealand Government funded Public Works event.

It has cost the NZ taxpayers US$200million over the last twenty two years, but gained an incrediable US$1.2billion in revenue, and still counting. A good investment I'd say.

Anyways some great results today...

New Zealand and Shosholoza winning their flights!

All of our challenges in the past have been via our tycoons _ Sir Frank Packer, Alan Bond etc _ we've never gone to government funding of a challenge _ and good thing too, as i said, it's a rich man's sport!

I suppose we had our moment when we were the first to win the cup off the US. The subsequent challenge was pretty underwhelming, despite the best efforts of WA and Fremantle to hype it. As a spectator sport, it makes watching paint dry look thrilling. I think we're well over the event!

Another two wins for new zealand last night!

New Zealand beat the German and South African Challenges quite easily!

This from the official website: http://www.americascup.com/en/news/detail....idContent=18116

BMW ORACLE Racing leads the fleet

For the second consecutive day, good racing conditions blessed the waters off Port America’s Cup in Valencia and two full flights of racing were completed. Conditions were ideal for America’s Cup racing with winds up to 13 knots on the south race course and between six and 10 knots on the north race area.

BMW ORACLE Racing remains the only team to be undefeated at the Louis Vuitton Cup, today securing a win over Areva Challenge in Flight 7. The Americans are at the top of the table, one point ahead of Emirates Team New Zealand.

It was also a big day for the home team of Desafío Español who earned two wins to climb the leaderboard. The Spanish side made a nice passing move over Shosholoza in the last match of the day, diving inside the South African team around the windward mark to eke out a small advantage. The Spanish extended to win the race and move into fifth place overall.

Flights 8 and 9 of Round Robin One are scheduled on Thursday when a frontal system is expected to bring cloudy skies, the possibility of rain and an Easterly 10 knot breeze.

FLIGHT 6

After their close race earlier with BMW ORACLE and following a big win over Luna Rossa yesterday, all eyes were on Team Shosholoza as they lined up with the top challenger on the Louis Vuitton Ranking, Emirates Team New Zealand. The two boats were evenly matched out of the start and after a long tack out to the left, Paolo Cian at the helm of the South African boat tacked towards the Kiwi boat. The two boats carried out an extensive tacking duel up the first beat, with Emirates Team New Zealand slowly pulling away to round the weather mark 23 seconds ahead. While the New Zealanders were unable to extend dramatically over the South Africans, they did manage to slowly gain seconds on each leg to win by 1:23.

Surprisingly the closest match of this flight was between Mascalzone Latino-Capitalia Team and United Internet Team Germany. At the helm of the German boat Jesper Bank and his team chose well in heading right and despite being the underdog kept it close with the Italians during a tacking duel off towards the starboard layline. The two boats were metres apart all the way up the beat, but the Italians slowly pulled away rounding the top mark with a 22 second advantage. The German team was unable to threaten the Italians in any great way for the remainder of the race, although they made nice gains from a shift on the final run to finish just 24 seconds behind.

Areva Challenge did equally well in its race against Luna Rossa, but still fell short of winning. Following their two defeats yesterday, the Italians added a welcome two points to their total on the scoreboard, with Areva finishing just 33 seconds behind. Victory Challenge sailed +39 Challenge over the port layline, then extended to win by 55 seconds while, as expected, Desafío Español dispatched China Team without drama.

FLIGHT 7

Team Shosholoza came good once again in the entertainment stakes in its match with Desafío Español. Held on the south course, this race started in winds gusting near 15 knots – the most seen so far at this Louis Vuitton Cup.

Shosholoza was nearly locked out at the committee boat end of the start line but won the favoured right while the Spanish charged away toward the pin. The two boats took a long leg out to the left side with Shosholoza a nose ahead. After a tacking duel, the boats still neck and neck, Shosholoza narrowly led around the weather mark with the Spanish on their transom. But the South Africans appeared to have problems on their spinnaker hoist, while the Spanish crew work was slick and with a faster hoist on ESP 97, the Spanish drew level and then slowly pulled ahead. From the leeward gate rounding where they were 20 seconds astern, the South Africans were never again in contention. The only minor hiccup came when a bowman on the Spanish boat briefly fell overboard as they rounded the leeward gate, but he was retrieved by the crew as they passed by.

A surprisingly close match took place between two of the Italian teams as Luna Rossa and +39 Challenge had a good battle. On the first beat Iain Percy’s team on +39 claimed the right, putting them ahead of Luna Rossa. This situation remained the same in spite of a prolonged tacking duel out towards the starboard layline. +39 Challenge was in good shape leading into the weather mark until they tacked too early, following an aggressive luff from Luna Rossa helmsman James Spithill. The two extra tacks into the mark let the powerful Luna Rossa through and from there they went on to win by 1:22.

In BMW ORACLE Racing’s match against Areva Challenge, Larry Ellison’s well polished team pulled ahead on the first beat, ultimately finishing the race ahead of the French team by an impressive 2:54 margin. Similarly despite a brave pre-start from Jesper Bank at the helm of United Internet Team Germany, Emirates Team New Zealand outshone the German team and finished ahead by more than one minute.

Finally Mascalzone Latino-Capitalia Team race turned into a walkover when China Team suffered damage half way up the first leg of the race course and were forced to retire.

It's unfair that this event gets slammed by the GB community as being a "Rich Mans Sport" while th F1, A1, and Football seem to pass by without criticisim.

And yes I did mean Football...Look at the owners of some of the greatest clubs going, not to mention the players who are pawns in this game.

It's unfair that this event gets slammed by the GB community as being a "Rich Mans Sport" while th F1, A1, and Football seem to pass by without criticisim.

And yes I did mean Football...Look at the owners of some of the greatest clubs going, not to mention the players who are pawns in this game.

Well I'm not keen on the motor sports either, but at least for those who are into it, It is an exciting spectator sport where there are ample opportunities for spectators to ring the track and feel the atmosphere. I've actually seen an America's Cup race in person (when it was in Fremantle). Watching involved getting on a spectator-chartered boat, following the yachts out offshore (way away from land) and trying to get some thrill from watching two sails in the distance engage in some arcane maouevres with little clue as to what is actually happening and pretty well no suspense or excitement. At least there was bar on-board. It's definitely no spectator sport for the masses. It'd b lucky if a followers' fleet had more than a thousand people all up.

Football _ well the practitioners are able to work there way up through their skills from the lowest of the lowest _ the shanty towns of Africa, the slums of Brazil, the working class suburbs of Europe. If they manage to get huge pay-checks later on, it's because that's what the market will bear, it's so hugely popular and receipts from spectators and TV rights are so huge, the money is there for them to benefit from. The pro-league clubs are the pinnacle, but even the poorest street kid in the world can improvise a ball and goals and play against their mates to emulate their heroes. You don't need to have $30 million plus just to have the basic equipment, no to mention marina charges, maintenance fees, scientific test labs etc to play against your equally well-heeled peers. It's a hobby for millionaires, not a sport for the masses.

Auckland was a bloody hurricane compared to Velencia

Valencia is a windy city... It's been very strange to have such a week without wind in the city

Not particullary in this month and Alinghi knows that particular when they choose the spanish city over Naples as the host of 2007 AC.. everybody (the organizers) knows that!

To note that the windy previsions in the Valencia candidacy has never been revealed. btw a part from that Valencia did a great job in organizing it.

Not particullary in this month and Alinghi knows that particular when they choose the spanish city over Naples as the host of 2007 AC.. everybody (the organizers) knows that!

To note that the windy previsions in the Valencia candidacy has never been revealed. btw a part from that Valencia did a great job in organizing it.

Maybe they chose Valencia because the city has more glamour than Naples and the Spanish plans to build a mega-modern port...

uhm glamour? no, the reason is much more material: is MONEY. ;)

Valencia put on the plate much money and garancies to Alinghi and this was its plus factor which gave them the AC. Naples offered a weak recovering plan for the dismessed Bagnoli area which couldn't count at that time on founds and time to finish it within 3 years. As for glamour, scenario and weather conditions Naples would have been the ideal choice.

anyway Valencia did great! ;) I didn't see the new port personally but I've heard great things about it and the historical center of the city is really charming.

Football _ well the practitioners are able to work there way up through their skills from the lowest of the lowest _ the shanty towns of Africa, the slums of Brazil, the working class suburbs of Europe. If they manage to get huge pay-checks later on, it's because that's what the market will bear, it's so hugely popular and receipts from spectators and TV rights are so huge, the money is there for them to benefit from. The pro-league clubs are the pinnacle, but even the poorest street kid in the world can improvise a ball and goals and play against their mates to emulate their heroes. You don't need to have $30 million plus just to have the basic equipment, no to mention marina charges, maintenance fees, scientific test labs etc to play against your equally well-heeled peers. It's a hobby for millionaires, not a sport for the masses.

Unfair!

Like the Big League football clubs, the America's Cup is the pinnicle of the Yacht Match Racing world, kids can start off by going down to their local seaside club and begin a great career in yachting starting off in the P-Class.

It's unfortuate that you use the third world as asn excuse to make yachting an elitist sport, you might as well say AFL, ARL, and Rugby Union are elitist as they are played in a wealthy country.

The top end of ALL Sports are well monied and elitist...And isn't that what the most junior player strives to be? :huh:

uhm glamour? no, the reason is much more material: is MONEY. ;)

Valencia put on the plate much money and garancies to Alinghi and this was its plus factor which gave them the AC. Naples offered a weak recovering plan for the dismessed Bagnoli area which couldn't count at that time on founds and time to finish it within 3 years. As for glamour, scenario and weather conditions Naples would have been the ideal choice.

anyway Valencia did great! ;) I didn't see the new port personally but I've heard great things about it and the historical center of the city is really charming.

One thing about winning an America's Cup is the development of the port infrastructure.

Auckland had a very dilapitated waterfront before 1995, the legacy is a vibrant community giving life to the city. Ironically if ETNZ pulls off a victory, Auckland will have to find another area to place the cup village, apartments pretty much sit over the old AC habour with only ETNZ and Oracle's bases remaining. :rolleyes:

Unfair!

Like the Big League football clubs, the America's Cup is the pinnicle of the Yacht Match Racing world, kids can start off by going down to their local seaside club and begin a great career in yachting starting off in the P-Class.

It's unfortuate that you use the third world as asn excuse to make yachting an elitist sport, you might as well say AFL, ARL, and Rugby Union are elitist as they are played in a wealthy country.

The top end of ALL Sports are well monied and elitist...And isn't that what the most junior player strives to be? :huh:

What do you mean unfair? The fact is, I can pick up a soccer or rugby ball, go down the local park, kick it around with a few mates and have a good bit of fun. I can take a cricket bat and a plastic garbage bin, head down the backyard, back lane or the beach and have a good round of street or beach cricket (a traditional Aussie summer pastime). But I don't have the spare $40 million plus to design an America's Cup class yacht and subject it to supercomputer simulations and wind tunnel tests to beat the other moguls. Even buying the cheapest, smallest boat is an ongoing drain of cash. It's sort of like keeping a horse _ few people can afford to do it (and anything to do with horses is also elitist in that way too). Any boat owner will tell you owning a vessel is just like owning a big hole in the water that you throw money into. And I don't know if you guys over the Tasman are glued to your TV screens during the races and it's rating through the roof, but just about anywhere else it's the type of event that would be lucky to get coverage at 2am in the morning as an alternative to teleshopping programs.

People's tastes are people's tastes. If you enjoy watching competitive ocean sailing, good on you. But you're just kidding yourself if you think Americas Cup yachting is a sport of the common people.

What do you mean unfair? The fact is, I can pick up a soccer or rugby ball, go down the local park, kick it around with a few mates and have a good bit of fun. I can take a cricket bat and a plastic garbage bin, head down the backyard, back lane or the beach and have a good round of street or beach cricket (a traditional Aussie summer pastime). But I don't have the spare $40 million plus to design an America's Cup class yacht and subject it to supercomputer simulations and wind tunnel tests to beat the other moguls. Even buying the cheapest, smallest boat is an ongoing drain of cash. It's sort of like keeping a horse _ few people can afford to do it (and anything to do with horses is also elitist in that way too). Any boat owner will tell you owning a vessel is just like owning a big hole in the water that you throw money into. And I don't know if you guys over the Tasman are glued to your TV screens during the races and it's rating through the roof, but just about anywhere else it's the type of event that would be lucky to get coverage at 2am in the morning as an alternative to teleshopping programs.

People's tastes are people's tastes. If you enjoy watching competitive ocean sailing, good on you. But you're just kidding yourself if you think Americas Cup yachting is a sport of the common people.

What? you dont have a americas cup yacht in your closet? :P

Archived