Valencia 2007

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rei.

Yes it's about time we started to gear up for one of this year's biggest sporting events!!!

A wake up call to all those members out there whose nations that have teams in Valencia 07.

Naturally I am backing Emirates Team New Zealand, We've got a score to settle with Allingi. Still the best fun is in the Loui Vitton Challengers series! You watch the crap fly in there - both on and off the water!

Hopefully when the event really settles in, Gamesbids HQ will afford us a temporary seperate International Events site like they did for the Melbourne CWGs and Fifa WC.

Yes it's time! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rei.

Yes it's about time we started to gear up for one of this year's biggest sporting events!!!

A wake up call to all those members out there whose nations that have teams in Valencia 07.

Naturally I am backing Emirates Team New Zealand, We've got a score to settle with Allingi. Still the best fun is in the Loui Vitton Challengers series! You watch the crap fly in there - both on and off the water!

Hopefully when the event really settles in, Gamesbids HQ will afford us a temporary seperate International Events site like they did for the Melbourne CWGs and Fifa WC.

Yes it's time! :rolleyes:

i have a good feeling about Dalton and team new zealand this time! This team must start as one of the favourites for the event. I will be interested to see how Allingi goes with out Russell Coutts ?

Russel Coutts just steered the boat. Brad Butterworth was and still is Tactitian for allingi, the REAL brains in the afterguard.

ANYWAY!!!!!

IT WAS KEEL REVEAL DAY TODAY!!!

Fleet racing begins tomorrow!

AND SO IT BEGINS AT LONG LAST.

The Loui Vuitton final has already been predicted Oracal v Emirates Team New Zealand, with Mascalzoni Latino the dark horse!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

C'mon GBers in North America, Europe, England, South Africa....

Where are you?????!!!!!

yea i reckon!!!! O well between us kiwis i am sure we can keep GBers up to date with all the results! Especially when we start winning

I only heard about this competition when Valencia was chosen to host it :lol:

Valencia has modernised itself in this years with huge public works

I only heard about this competition when Valencia was chosen to host it :lol:

Valencia has modernised itself in this years with huge public works

:unsure: The America's Cup has been an almost exclusivly Anglo-Saxon event with Switzerland the only "outsider" winner. Great Britian has only ever lost the cup, the USA won it, held on to it the longest, lost it and won it back. Australia won it and lost it next defence, New Zealand has won it, defended it and lost it in sequencial regattas. In the Loui Vuitton Cup, USA, Australia, New Zealand, and Switzerland have been the only winning nations to successfully challenge for the America's Cup.

Surprisingly, Spain, France, Sweden, Italy, and Japan have been regular attendees since the conception of the Loui Vuitton Challengers series in the 1970's. None have been successful in winning the event (LVCup).

Germany takes part for the first time with an own boat. There was some kind of interest, but they sought very long for a sponsor. Now, a German Internet company gives the money. I am a costumer of this Internet firm, so i am a sponsor of the team. I dont like that.

This is a sports competition for the rich and famous. I am not working class guy, but i dont like these upper class events. Germany is no traditional sailing power and the German team is of the weakest in the field. So dont expect many comments from my in this topic. ;)

Emirates Team New Zealand has finished as the top challenger in the final ACT, securing a vital eight points it may need to get to the LVC Semi's.

Ready to go.

Germany takes part for the first time with an own boat. There was some kind of interest, but they sought very long for a sponsor. Now, a German Internet company gives the money. I am a costumer of this Internet firm, so i am a sponsor of the team. I dont like that.

This is a sports competition for the rich and famous. I am not working class guy, but i dont like these upper class events. Germany is no traditional sailing power and the German team is of the weakest in the field. So dont expect many comments from my in this topic. ;)

I'm not surprised you think this way goethe, many people do as history shows, this event has been the preserve of the rich ever since.

However it was when Australia won in 1983 that lit the spark for national bids and sponor supported teams.

Here in NZ, the 1987 challenge lit the fire of the nation to the point of obsession, the direct challenge in 1988 attests to this, NZ ultimatly winning in 1995. And still many here believe it's a rich mans game, but the economy is still booming after NZ lost the cup in 2003.

:unsure:

Emirates Team New Zealand has finished as the top challenger in the final ACT, securing a vital eight points it may need to get to the LVC Semi's.

Ready to go.

great stuff team new zealand but we need to put it together when the LVC begins in just over a week

Here in NZ, the 1987 challenge lit the fire of the nation to the point of obsession, the direct challenge in 1988 attests to this, NZ ultimatly winning in 1995. And still many here believe it's a rich mans game, but the economy is still booming after NZ lost the cup in 2003.

I can't still remember the day in 1995 when we first won the cup, omg it was so crazy...the whole nation went nuts. I think it was like 3/4 people in NZ was watching and when they came home, god what was it? like 500,000 people out in Auckland for the parade? We haven't seen that in NZ for a while now.

Yes very heady days.

The second largest parade was also an America's Cup parade. The failed 1987 challenge lead by Michael Fay and skippered by Chris Dickson. The country was so passionate that it went into a mourning period until Micheal Fay said NZ will challenge again and a huge welcome home parade will be had.

Later that year NZ won the RWC so all was well again. - And then came the outragous and brash 1988 direct America's Cup challenge - woah!

I can't still remember the day in 1995 when we first won the cup, omg it was so crazy...the whole nation went nuts. I think it was like 3/4 people in NZ was watching and when they came home, god what was it? like 500,000 people out in Auckland for the parade? We haven't seen that in NZ for a while now.

i remember that famous day in 1995 it was absolutely brilliant!!! Especially beating dennis conner our arch rival. Has he got any involvement in the cup this time around?

Not in any challenge, BUT as a life member of the International Americas Cup Committee, expect him there as in administration capacity, promotion etc.

Valencia, Parade of Challenges

Alinghi, Switzerland

ansa101878431504111714_big.jpg

Areva, France

ansa101879831504111707_big.jpg

United Internet Team, Germany

ansa101879811504111711_big.jpg

Emirates, New Zealand

ansa101878481504111718_big.jpg

Desafio Espanol, Spain

ansa101878221504111722_big.jpg

Shosholoza, South Africa