Protesters Declare War On Vanoc

mr.x

Olympic protestors promise more disruption and vandalism

Click here to find out more!

Wednesday, March 14 - 08:42:18 PM Reshmi Nair

Vancouver (NEWS1130) - Vancouver business leaders think the Olympic protests are getting out of hand, but the protesters say they're just getting started. The Anti Poverty Committee is promising to hit VANOC even harder.

The APC is being criticized for drowning out a children's choir at the flag lighting ceremony and generally just taking things too far.

David Cunningham with the APC said they'll do whatever it takes to bring attention to their cause and they went into the last protest with a plan. He said, "With a strategy of not fighting fire with fire, but fighting it with water. If we wanted to confront and overwhelm the police and take the stage, we could easily do that, but we go in with strategies into these type of events, to disrupt them along several different means."

He's promising more protests and expects vandals to follow as they plan to hit VANOC's offices soon. Police still have not arrested anyone for stealing the Olympic flag or spray-painting the Countdown Clock.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downtown Vancouver BIA Calls for Civil Protests

VANCOUVER, March 14 /CNW/ - The Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement

Association (DVBIA) is calling for Vancouverites to stand up and be counted

among the current silent majority that wants Vancouver to be a City that

welcomes peaceful protests, that encourages the civil expression of opinions

and that is safe for all citizens to get together to celebrate.

The DVBIA's call comes in reaction to recent criminal and disruptive behaviour at Olympic-related ceremonies.

"We want Vancouver, in particular downtown Vancouver, to be a beacon for citizens of all stripes to congregate peacefully," says Bill Rempel, President

of the DVBIA.

"This is a right for all Vancouverites and an illustration of our tolerance and acceptance of all ideas and people." Rempel says if local citizens don't feel safe enjoying a celebration of the coming 2010 Winter Games, for example, what hope do we have staging a Games that welcomes the world.

The DVBIA believes there are lawful ways to get your message heard that

are respectful of both people and property. "Vancouverites should not let the criminal behaviour of a few dampen their enthusiasm to celebrate in public," Rempel says. "In fact, we hope it encourages more people to do it more often."

The DVBIA advocates on behalf of all 8,000 businesses that own or lease

property within its 90-block area and champions for a vibrant, healthy and

diverse downtown. As the largest business improvement association in the

province, the DVBIA is the "Voice of Downtown Business." The 90-block DVBIA

area includes 2,490 properties, 884 owners, and a combined assessed property value of $5.6 billion.

Downtown Vancouver BIA Calls for Civil Protests

VANCOUVER, March 14 /CNW/ - The Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement

Association (DVBIA) is calling for Vancouverites to stand up and be counted

among the current silent majority that wants Vancouver to be a City that

welcomes peaceful protests, that encourages the civil expression of opinions

and that is safe for all citizens to get together to celebrate.

The DVBIA's call comes in reaction to recent criminal and disruptive behaviour at Olympic-related ceremonies.

"We want Vancouver, in particular downtown Vancouver, to be a beacon for citizens of all stripes to congregate peacefully," says Bill Rempel, President

of the DVBIA.

"This is a right for all Vancouverites and an illustration of our tolerance and acceptance of all ideas and people." Rempel says if local citizens don't feel safe enjoying a celebration of the coming 2010 Winter Games, for example, what hope do we have staging a Games that welcomes the world.

The DVBIA believes there are lawful ways to get your message heard that

are respectful of both people and property. "Vancouverites should not let the criminal behaviour of a few dampen their enthusiasm to celebrate in public," Rempel says. "In fact, we hope it encourages more people to do it more often."

The DVBIA advocates on behalf of all 8,000 businesses that own or lease

property within its 90-block area and champions for a vibrant, healthy and

diverse downtown. As the largest business improvement association in the

province, the DVBIA is the "Voice of Downtown Business." The 90-block DVBIA

area includes 2,490 properties, 884 owners, and a combined assessed property value of $5.6 billion.

Awwwwww! That's way too civilized. Too tame.

I want to see hosings; police dogs; pepper spray; tear gas! The student riots in Mexico 1968 were really exciting! Now, if only the Vancouverite Homeless could top that, it would really catch Jerry Springer's attention.

How big a group are these antis? Could they seriously disrupt the games themselves (and I'm not talking about small scale events like the unveiling of your countdown clock, I'm talking about the construction and hosting of the real thing) or are they just full of hot air?

Just asking those in the know, are you genuinley worried about these guys?

How big a group are these antis? Could they seriously disrupt the games themselves (and I'm not talking about small scale events like the unveiling of your countdown clock, I'm talking about the construction and hosting of the real thing) or are they just full of hot air?

Just asking those in the know, are you genuinley worried about these guys?

Well, we have everything from anti-poverty activists to poverty activists (yes, people who support the poverty lifestyle and demand "rights for the homeless") to a First Nations militia.

I really don't know what they are capable of. But what I am worried right now is our image.....the majority of Vancouverites and British Columbians support these Games, but a very few minority think they can still somehow stop these Games from coming or use it to get what they want (social housing) because they think the Games money should be used for social housing instead (with or without 2010, it would never have happened). Most, if not all, are losers.

The First Nations militia are out there for revenge for a senior who was arrested for not obeying a court order to end a protest against the Sea-to-Sky highway upgrade, the highway that connects Whistler to Vancouver. She later died from pneumonia and undiagnosed lung cancer. And just last week, they were trying to get revenge for another senior who was sentenced for a prison term for doing the same thing.

Don't you just love the Canadian west coast?

Baron, i'd suggest you watch these two videos:

1994 Stanley Cup Riot in the middle of a crowd of 500,000 people on Robson Street, downtown:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3968547138409528312

APEC 1997 Vancouver police brutality on protesters:

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-73-1700-11710...tical_scandals/

You'll really enjoy those. ;)

I just saw, courtesy of my local Global channel, these "guys" doing their stuff. Like, throwing mailboxes onto the street and getting militant. I think they went against a camera crew as well. Now, this is what really ticks me off. These "guys" claim that they are doing this for the poor. However, one of the "men" arrested "just happens to have arrived from Quebec." Now, how in the world did a "homeless man" get the money to go all the way to Vancouver just to do this mindless and idiotic idea to attack "authority?" Like I said before, now the Halifax 2014 fiasco is over, these "guys" are now targeting Vancouver.

Edited by Guardian

I think part of the problem is the media ... they give these morons too much coverage. If there were being ignored by the media they would soon lose their "enthusiasm"!

Come 2010 there will be zero tolerance given to these hooligans. Safety of the athletes will be paramount. The slightest hint of a threat to an athlete will be dealt with in the harshest manner. I would lock up all these idiots for the entire 10 days the 2010 games.

These hooligans seem to have a great deal of energy to destroy public and private property, but none to find a job and become a contributing member of society.

It always amazes me how many jobs I hear of that companies cannot fill because the starting pay is low, even though after a few short years they could be earning a decent wage.

I also see how much value and enthusiasm young children in poorer countries like South Africa have for education and how many children in this country throw their education away.

Are these groups in any way associated with "Bread Not Circuses," (I think that was their name) that was causing such a fuss during Toronto's 2008 bid?

Anyhow these organizations piss me off. :angry: Which is one reason why I was concerned about San Francisco getting the 2016 bid as there is a huge homeless advocacy group here as well. They think that by disruption their cause will be furthered when in fact all it ends up doing is alienating people and causing backlash to their organization.

Are these groups in any way associated with "Bread Not Circuses," (I think that was their name) that was causing such a fuss during Toronto's 2008 bid?

Anyhow these organizations piss me off. :angry: Which is one reason why I was concerned about San Francisco getting the 2016 bid as there is a huge homeless advocacy group here as well. They think that by disruption their cause will be furthered when in fact all it ends up doing is alienating people and causing backlash to their organization.

LA84, you are right with the name here. However, as I would like to say to myself, there are always some indirect links that are connected discreetly in some "chain link." So, in that retrospect, I will not be surprised if they are in league in some degree to what is happening in Vancouver right now. In fact, the BNC tried in some ways to "set up shop" in Alberta, but I guess we got "lucky" in many ways. But, it doesn't mean that we need to be complacent about the whole issue about social problems. There will always be those who think that violence is the only way to get "the help they need." But, their actions will further alienate the very people they claim to help and the cycle of fear and hate will continue on for some time to come.

Here's the great irony. If one takes a walk around Vancouver these days you'll see three things...

1 - Construction, construction, construction

2 - "Help Wanted" signs in every second window

3 - more construction

The economy here is BOOMING and there is NO EXCUSE for any able bodied person in this city to be unemployed. And where does most of this growth come from? The Olympics. Not always directly, but since Jacques Rogge opened that envelope in Prague, the city has been atwitter with positive energy. The economy here has exploded and the unemployment rate in Vancouver has shrunk to 4.2%. Now, economists will say that 4% unemployment represents people in transition...between jobs, switching jobs, about to land a job...so Vancouver in essence has full employment. Best time in this city.

So the only ones not benefiting are the uneducated, the lazy, the drug addicted and the sleezebags. Guess who's out protesting?

Piss off.

About the homeless.

I'm living in kelowna, which has pretty much as good an economy as Vancouver (probably better.) and also a large proportion of homeless people. The number has been growing quickly in the past few years, from a couple dozen 3 years ago to probably about 300 any given day in the downtown area. In the winter they disappear though. Gone. seriously, maybe 6 hobos downtown from october till now. and suddenly, out of no where, in the past 2 weeks, crack heads and homeless show up by droves. Where the fuuuuck do these people GO?!? some of them just aren't homeless and are just lazy bums looking for handouts. maybe not ALL, but most.

honestly, in the summer there are hundreds of people that easily could get jobs just sleeping in the park. i don't fucking get it. in the winter, nobody ever.

A friend of mine told a story of a series of conversations she had with a homeless guy who used to camp out near her bus stop. He used to have a job, apartment and found it a boring life. So he took to the street and with begging, makes about $80/day - pays no taxes, no rent, has no responsibilities and finds he's always living in the moment and for the moment each day. He doesn't worry about the future or material things because he doesn't care. So my feeling is that homelessness is as much a choice as it is the result of poor choices. Go figure.

I understand that sometimes people can become homeless - for a short time. But these bums that live year after year on the streets have made a choice. They made a choice to become an alcoholic or a drug addict or a degenerate. And we should not have to pay for their choice!

Both the United States and Canada have a society of entitlement. A lot of the poor would rather sit around and wait for a government handout then actually do something. New Orleans is in the middle of being rebuilt and who is doing the labor? Not the people who are still sitting in their FEMA trailers - they are too busy bellyaching that the government hasn't built them new housing yet. No, it's the Mexicans coming over the border who are doing the labor!

In San Francisco for the longest time the city was paying the homeless something like $500 a month! And guess what - the homeless population skyrocketed! Then Gavin Newsome gets into the mayors office and created the "Care Not Cash" program, i/e offering the homeless housing instead of a handout and the advocates were up in arms! :angry: The result however is that there has been a noticeable decline and the latest count of 333 homeless is the lowest in years.

We now have a situation over in the Sunset District where the homeless were living out of their cars along the Great Highway. The Board of Supervisors outlawed that and once again the homeless advocates are up in arms. :angry: Never mind that the homeowners and taxpayers in that district were tired of feces, trash and drug dealing going on in their neighborhood.

"Car Campers" No Longer Allowed

Now when I lived in Chicago the police enforced the loitering laws and would either haul any homeless person who was publically intoxicated or higher than a kite to jail or if they weren't, over to the homeless shelters. When they rebuilt Lower Wacker Drive, where the homeless used to live they built fences so they could no longer have access.

Perhaps this tatic should be taken by the Vancouver authorities before the Olympics arrive. B)

*steps off soapbox*

Edited by LA84

haha. it's really funny. This homeless coordinator/director/whatever from Portland came to kelowna with the message, to get rid of homeless, build houses. hahah i thought that was funny because it is true, and so simple. But politicians are reluctant. they'd rather just arrest them all and spend 10 times the money on policing.

It doesn't help the situation when the left wing press in this city writes the following drivel in supports of these holligans ...

From the Vancouver Courrier ...

Olympic organizers don't do themselves any favours when they refuse to divulge costs associated with the 2010 Games. It is taxpayers' money and citizens of this province deserve to know exactly how every penny is spent. In today's issue of the Courier, there is a story on the vandalism of the Olympic Clock, which is located in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery on Robson Street. Reporter Mark Hasiuk repeatedly tried to find out the cost of security for the clock, but VANOC steadfastly refused to answer his financial queries. It's enough to make you want to start joining the juvenile-minded protesters who dog VANOC officials at every public announcement. Infuriating as those protesters may be (even if we, too, voted against the Olympics in the city referendum), we admire their persistence.

There isn't a hope in hell they'll stop the 16-day taxpayer-funded party in 2010 that most of us won't be able to afford to attend, but if word spreads around the globe about the anti-Olympics movement in Vancouver getting louder and more persistent we're OK with that. It might inspire other cities to boycott or withdraw applications to host such overpriced events, just as the city of Halifax did recently when it withdrew its bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games because of the estimated $1.2 billion cost. Kudos to Halifax, a city that understands the concept of living within its means.

Like I said, the cycle of hate and fear will continue, so long as these "people" get their kicks by being self-centered and "waking a sleeping giant by poking it in the eye with a stick." Never mind taking their message to an "unsuspecting public" and feeding them their side of the story "with an iron fist." Talk about taking some people for a ride here.

It doesn't help the situation when the left wing press in this city writes the following drivel in supports of these holligans ...

From the Vancouver Courrier ...

Olympic organizers don't do themselves any favours when they refuse to divulge costs associated with the 2010 Games. It is taxpayers' money and citizens of this province deserve to know exactly how every penny is spent. In today's issue of the Courier, there is a story on the vandalism of the Olympic Clock, which is located in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery on Robson Street. Reporter Mark Hasiuk repeatedly tried to find out the cost of security for the clock, but VANOC steadfastly refused to answer his financial queries. It's enough to make you want to start joining the juvenile-minded protesters who dog VANOC officials at every public announcement. Infuriating as those protesters may be (even if we, too, voted against the Olympics in the city referendum), we admire their persistence.

There isn't a hope in hell they'll stop the 16-day taxpayer-funded party in 2010 that most of us won't be able to afford to attend, but if word spreads around the globe about the anti-Olympics movement in Vancouver getting louder and more persistent we're OK with that. It might inspire other cities to boycott or withdraw applications to host such overpriced events, just as the city of Halifax did recently when it withdrew its bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games because of the estimated $1.2 billion cost. Kudos to Halifax, a city that understands the concept of living within its means.

I wonder what they have to say about the federal budget, which came out only hours ago.

The federal budget is just a big disappointment. Here, almost all provinces benefit, leaving British Columbia, probably one of the only ones disappointed from the 'aspire budget plan.' Quebec was the one that wants to part from Canada, but I think the won't be the first, BC would.

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Vancouver 2010 Threatened By Activists

Posted 11:25 am ET (GamesBids.com)

The Anti Poverty Committee (APC) is threatening to disrupt Vancouver 2010’s May 16 board meeting unless it is opened to the public, reports Sun Media.

APC’s David Cunningham said, “we don’t want to get to that point, we just want them to open their meetings. It’s not a far-out demand”.

Cunningham said it’s the public’s right to be in the boardroom. British Columbia’s Auditor-General said the Games and related projects are costing taxpayers $2.5 billion.

VANOC management is studying ways to make the board more transparent.

Cunningham reportedly said Vancouver 2010 organizers needn’t worry about the group disrupting meetings if the doors are opened. “We don’t need to go all the way out there to be lied to”.

VANOC’s board meeting March 13 at its city hall-owned east Vancouver headquarters was held in secret, report Sun Media.

Cunningham was charged with mischief when he jumped onstage at the Feb. 12 Olympic countdown clock ceremony.