Countdown Clock Vandalized

mr.x

Olympic countdown clock vandalized

Monday, March 12 - 03:28:57 PM

John Ackermann

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The Olympic Countdown Clock, outside the Vancouver Art Gallery, has been vandalized. The stone and wood clock monument has been spray-painted several times with the words "Free Betty".

That apparently refers to recently sentenced protestor Betty Krawczyk, who went to jail over her objection to road construction at Eagleridge Bluffs in West Vancouver. Vancouver Police at the scene say witnesses saw a man spray-painting the clock, before taking off south on Howe Street.

Police have recovered the spray paint can, and they'll be reviewing security video-tapes. The incident comes despite the promise of 24 hour security after the unveiling of the clock was marred by a violent protest.

where the hell is the 24/7 security? we're paying over a quarter million for a person to be there every minute and this is what we get? and why can't these fucking protesters just do something more productive rather than destroying their own cause?

I'm against wild totalitarism, but i think these people must be silenced once and for all, they're giving a really bad image to Vancouver, like anybody is not supporting, but against the games.

The punishment must be increased for this acts, but knowing these hippies, they will not stop to anything, even if they need to become martyrs to make the olympics a failure.

I'm against wild totalitarism, but i think these people must be silenced once and for all, they're giving a really bad image to Vancouver, like anybody is not supporting, but against the games.

The punishment must be increased for this acts, but knowing these hippies, they will not stop to anything, even if they need to become martyrs to make the olympics a failure.

I totally agree. These hooligns ... and that is exactly what they are ... are shaming my city. Peaceful protest is one thing, but CRIMINAL actions are another.

These morons are really starting to put a sour taste in my mouth! They are starting to spoil what should be a wonderful party. I don't have as much enthusiasm for attending these ceremonies now because I know these people are going to be there causing a ruckus.

Those with who are peacefully protesting should be equally ashamed and disturbed by these hooligns because they are doing much harm to any legitimcy their cause might have. Whether for or against the games I think most Vancouverites are do not support the violence and damage being done to public property.

These violent anarchists are really a joke ... they most likely don't care about the cause ... they would be there causing a disturbance even if there wasn't a cause! They taunt and throw objects at the police, then plead police butality! They are really pathetic excuses for human beings!

The problem you guys are now faced with is that every time vancounver 2010 is mentioned - certain words are always linked such as protesters and opponents.

This is going to be a hard one to avoid because Internationally it is now being broadcast as a Games that people in Canada dont want. I hope they calm down soon and use the Games as an effort to work together on solving issues that may be present, not as the catalysts for protest and disharmony.

Here is the problem. VANOC hosts an event and it is marred by protests. VANOC tries other events, and they are marred by more protests. Eventually, the people who support and are proud of the city hosting the Olympics stay away because they feel uncomfortable around the protesters. Many have jobs, families and other interests. While they are happy to celebrate 2010, they don't want to take their kids out and risk them getting hurt by a protest. VANOC needs to think of who their real market and supporters and stop these big open public events at once. All they have done is attracted more protesters and that is what looks bad. VANOC hosts an event, the supporters stay home, the protesters come out en mass. And then it looks like Vancouver hates the Olympics when the reality is that 300 vocal people hate the Olympics and showed up and 300,000 who love the Olympics stayed at home.

And here's a 2 minute 27 second CBC news report of the 1997 APEC where protests turned violent as protesters began to tear down the security fences. Police officers were forced to engage with pepper spray, making dozens of arrests. Unfortunately, the media and politicians went against the police, thinking they were too harsh and cruel.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-73-367-2016-1...y/apec_protest/

Uh, you guys remember those incidents "in the palms of your hands?" :o

Anyway, my relatives in the Greater Vancouver area have almost never come to visit or shop at the "main" Chinatown and the downtown areas the whole time they have lived there since 1970. Unless, there is an ABSOLUTE reason why they have to. Unfortunately, the "fear" of confronting people, like these hoodlums or even people that "LOOK" like them, makes my relatives cringe easily. They think that going to places like Richmond or Surrey is going to make them "safe" from these "bad guys." A couple of them even had to move out from Vancouver outright because it "was getting out of hand." In the end, in my point of view, it is not going to work because, when you have cities that have become "big", these social issues will become more prevalent, if not dealt with "right away." But, that is just over-simplifying it, right?

Never mind that there is got to be some action about this unfolding of tensions, before it gets out of hand and affects Vancouver's international and the 2010 Winter Olympics images. This is what occurred somewhat, to a degree, to Torino 2006 because of all things a rail link and the possible changes to the local environment, if that were come to pass. And, of course, that big idiot that tried to interrupt a closing ceremony speech that was being spoken by the TOROC president at the time.

mr.x, don't forget about the 2002 Guns N' Roses concert riot at GM Place when Axl Rose never showed up. :blink:

The Guns N' Roses concert was small, especially compared to the Stanley Cup Riot. And besides, this isn't the first Guns N' Roses riot.....they've cancelled their concerts a number of times and many have started riots.

The Guns N' Roses concert was small, especially compared to the Stanley Cup Riot. And besides, this isn't the first Guns N' Roses riot.....they've cancelled their concerts a number of times and many have started riots.

Makes me wonder, if that was their "real intention" in the first place.

okay perspective time.

protesting is legal. clearly there is a difference between staging protests and defacing property, but really, how long did you think it would take before someone defaced the clock? it's sitting in the middle of a fucking plaza. infact, i thought it would have been defaced a lot earlier. say, the night of the unveiling.

There are a lot of pissed off people in vancouver because the province is ramming the games down their throats. the enforcement of trade mark violations of the use of Olympic for example (where several GVRD businesses were targeted) is just one example.

These protesters, which include a great deal of poverty activists, are pissed off that the BC government is (in their view) wasting money on the olympics while they can't afford a home at $8/hr.

pretty much, think about what you're saying before you say **** like "we should fine them $500 000 and put them in jail for 4 years"

tool