Nigeria To Bid For Fifa Wc 2018

Well, here you have it. Nigeria throwing it's hat in the ring for the Fifa World Cup. Maybe we might have a second african nation hosting quicker than we expected.

Nigeria targets to host 2018 World Cup: Nigerian President

Nigeria will support South Africa's 2010 World Cup bid and go all out for the 2018 edition itself, Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo said Monday in Abuja.

Receiving Jacques Rogge, president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), in the capital Abuja, Obasanjo said that Nigeria would support South Africa in its bid to host the 2010 edition of the World Cup.

He said that Nigeria would also not go for the 2014 edition butwould strive toward the 2018 edition. "So long as I live, I will strive to ensure that Nigeria asks for 2018."

The president thanked Rogge for his support for Nigeria and called for assistance from the IOC in the maintenance of the new Abuja stadium "to keep it in good shape at all times."

He said that the Nigerian federal government would build new hostels and an institute of sports in Abuja to boost sports development in the country.

Responding, Rogge commended Nigeria's hosting of the 8th All Africa Games, saying the facilities put in place were of high standard while the opening ceremonies were "simply fantastic."

He pledged the continued support of the IOC to the country to help it develop more in the sporting arena.

Earlier, President of the Nigeria Olympic committee Alhaji Abu Gumel had commended the IOC for its support for Nigeria's hosting of the All Africa Games.

The IOC had assisted COJA with 200,000 US dollars for the preparations and also dished out another 79,000 dollars to Team Nigeria to aid its preparation.

They won't get it unless they ask, but considering the likely opposition, they won't get it even if they do.

Just out of interest, technical/infrastructure aspects aside, is there an appetite for an African World Cup? Would anyone here favour a 2018 African World Cup in whichever country over a European, North American, Asian, or Australian one?

I ask because, considering how far behind they'd be in the technical aspects compared to England or America, there'd need to be a strong appetite for a Nigerian World Cup like there was for South Africa in 2010, and I very much doubt it exists at this moment in time.

Obviously Nigeria has a long way to go but hopefully Nigeria would boast the following facilities :

1.)thousands of kilometres of new roads and highways,

2.) the monorails which have been announced are finally completed and fuctioning

3.) Lagos Island (CBD) is a place that it should be for a country the size of Nigeria

4.) Lagos Waterfront is completed

5.) new stadiums are built or rehabilitated

6.) 50 new flashy big malls added

7.) entertainment facilities till you drop: bars, restaurants, discos, fast food joints, gyms, mega-spas etc.

8.) Lagos alone needs to add 15 five star hotels, 20 four star hotels and something between 20-30 three star hotels (check out cities of the size of Lagos like Mexico city or Sao Paulo for example and compare them to Lagos )

9.) more multi-lane highways criss-crossing Lagos

10.) expansion of the international airport in Lagos

11.) more theme parks

PEOPLE WHO VISIT A COUNTRY EXPECT ALL THAT AND EVEN MORE DURING A FIFA WORLD CUP!

Not to forget political stability!!

Besides I don't think we should be judged just because we are from Africa but because we are able to host it!!!

Head-to-head I would rather see a Nigerian WC over a SA WC for two reasons, I find Nigeria a far more interesting country and Nigeria is leaps and bounds ahead of SA in footballing skill.

Nigeria will have to wait Africa's turn which is about 2034.

Another national leader speaking without looking at all the facts, possibly the 2 biggest ones staring him right in the face:

1. 2010 being in So. Africa, as most of you have pointed out; and

2. They can't even get their bid together for Abuja; and they think they can shoot for the World Cup; and be taken seriously?

I can just hear the 2010 Organizing Committee having a day full of belly laughs.

It's quite obvious that Nigeria won't host 2018. But I see that if they really want to bid, the African members of the Executive Committee would be against the rotation policy in the votation of November.

Nigeria CAN'T compete with England, the USA, Australia and possibly Spain and China...

Not talking about the disastrous Abuja African Games of 2003 or the multiple planes crashes in the country. Like it or not YOU'RE NOT A SECOND-WORLD NATION...

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but did the African FIFA voters ALL VOTED AGAINST South Africa for 2010 while the "rest of the FIFA voting membership" voted for South Africa? If this is the case, then I have serious doubts about how Nigeria is going to challenge the "traditional powers" for a successful bid. Never mind that the rumors of the World Cup "rotation period" ends with 2014 and the possible return of the "Europe/South America" alternate hostings of the event.

Well if they do win the rights to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games, then there should be no problem there, they do have the key venues and such and they simply would have to improve infrastructure in other areas. If they do host a successful Commonwealth Games, then don't rule them out of an Olympic candidature bid, if only a bid.

It should also be noted that football, is not a part of the Commonwealth program, (where Rugby 7's takes its place, which btw, only requires 1 main venue) so there will be no need to upgrade stadias in other cities in Nigeria. Even in the event of an Olympic bid, the stadias that would either be built, or upgraded, will not be needed meet Fifa World Cup requirements as Olympic requirements allow for lower capacity (preliminary) venues.

Finally, we should take into account that Nigeria didn't even consider bidding for the 2010 World Cup.

Nigeria may host the World Cup, sure they have considerable number of stadiums teetering above the 30,000 mark, but WorldStadiums isn't being much helpful. They could host the WC but definitely not in 2018, maybe a dozen or more years after that.

Like I pointed out earlier, the rotation programme might not be alive in that time plus Nigeria is developing quickly, believe it or not. Well, let's wait and see.. I even doubt it going to Nigeria.

They also have to be realistic about their chances. Any of these cities/countries shooting for the moon when it comes to something like a World Cup or an Olympics would have a little more credibility within the circles that decide these things, if they were a little more analytical and pragmatic about their utterings and their moves.

Because to veteran eyes, regardless of whether there will be a formalized rotation or not -- what makes them think that all of a sudden a majority of the FIFA executive board will drop everything and just die to get back to the African continent a mere 8 years after South Africa -- notwithstanding:

(i) the fiasco that was Miss World 2001 or 2002 was it?

(ii) the chaos surrounding the formation of the Abuja CWG bid;

and of course,

(iii) forgetting that South Africa squeaked by its 2010 opportunity after losing by 1 vote in the 2006 round.

They'll probably win now that Halifax is outta the race. They have most of the African nations backing them up as well as potentially the Asian nations since the Africans supported New Delhi's bid... who knows...

Just like Brazil and the PanAms, South Africa and World Cup 2010; and if Abuja gets CWG 2014 -- that'll be the major tests whether thse 3 nations can execute flawlessly and therefore prove they can stage the larger events.

DId you read the headline of the report guys. "Nigeria TARGETS to host the 2018 WC. We did not say we WILL host the world cup. [/b] WHat is wrong with a little optimism?? We are one of the best footballing Nations in africa and racked int he top 10 in the world till Jan. 2007. Please, give us a chance to present our bid. Btw, most people are arguing on the bases of perconcerptions of the country. Nigeria is not on the bink of a civil war!!!! 100 people cannot wage war on over 140million people. Let me ust clear that up!!

DId you read the headline of the report guys. "Nigeria TARGETS to host the 2018 WC. We did not say we WILL host the world cup. WHat is wrong with a little optimism?? We are one of the best footballing Nations in africa and racked int he top 10 in the world till Jan. 2007. Please, give us a chance to present our bid. Btw, most people are arguing on the bases of perconcerptions of the country. Nigeria is not on the bink of a civil war!!!! 100 people cannot wage war on over 140million people. Let me ust clear that up!!

Archived