Halifax Bails Out Of Commonwealth Games Bid

You have the wrong JIM . it is a stupid idea really . you are looking at one of the two core sports in all sport festival co-oped between a bid city and a city that hosted 21 years ago???? Why would a aquatics federation put up with that when the commonwealth games does not event have water polo like the olympics or pan am games.

Personally I dont understand it because that shows weakness with the city of glasgow with the bid itself. What is 30 million to expand and have a diving pool on the Tollcross site ??? Perhaps 30 million is more then the scots are willing to spend to property do the games properly. Atleast Halifax had aquatics on the same site for their failed bid LOL.

jim jones

Just a little quote from one of your postings in the Glasgow 2014 thread :

"Having diving in a city 48 miles away is not a big deal if everything else is in the great glasgow area" (POSTED JAN.28TH, 2006)

I think the reason which the bid committee provided, that being the diving pool at Tollcross is not deep enough for CWG standards, is a valid reason to host in Edinburgh. I had asked before if anyone knew when the Games are actually held - do you think they are trying to coincide the Games with the Edinburgh Festival which is held in August?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a little quote from one of your postings in the Glasgow 2014 thread :

"Having diving in a city 48 miles away is not a big deal if everything else is in the great glasgow area" (POSTED JAN.28TH, 2006)

I think the reason which the bid committee provided, that being the diving pool at Tollcross is not deep enough for CWG standards, is a valid reason to host in Edinburgh. I had asked before if anyone knew when the Games are actually held - do you think they are trying to coincide the Games with the Edinburgh Festival which is held in August?

Well then an actual diving pool exists??? and is too shallow ??? lets think of this for a sec. You are diving off a platform into a pool that is too shallow and we are talking about hosting the commonwealth games here. I know the situation is that they only have spring boards but not even 30 million would be needed to raise the roof, dig the depth and have a proper diving pool that also is the pool for sycro swimming . It is not only that diving is seperated by 40 miles from the speed events but that sycro swimming is as well.

To me I really dont understand how you can look people straight in the eye and say that it is a creditble bid when your competitors actually have the three swimming sports in the same location in the same city. THe city of Halifax in that case could have taken a dartmouth sportsplex put a Skypool in the hockey arena and upgraded the onsite pool as a diving facility. Or halifax used a centinenual pool across the harbour. A number of combinations of building and use of a hockey arena could have what is needed for the aquatic part of the bid and with halifax is would be within a 3 mile radius.

I say all this and bring the issue of the Basketball because you scots seem to think you have this in the bag LOL.

I would love both to host but for the best set of facilities on the ground today ABuja has glasgow beat for a commonwealth games.

IT does not slam Glasgow by any means but the thinking of a Scott Logan that Glasgow doesnt have a chance and Halfiax was the front runner to

me is patriotic clap trap really.

jim jones

I say all this and bring the issue of the Basketball because you scots seem to think you have this in the bag LOL.

jim jones

First, I am not Scottish. I am from Halifax. Second, I do not think Glagsow has this in the bag. However, with Halifax out of the race, those votes (and there were going to be at least a few) will need to go somewhere. I do not think Glasgow is wrong for being slightly more confident than before, just as Abuja should feel the same. Third, since when is saving 30 million (a figure based on your experience of renovating large pools??!!) a bad idea? Besides, you have no idea how much it would cost...you don't know the circumstances surrounding the pool...or the extent of work that needs to be done. Obviously they are doing this for a reason. Besides, other Games have held events outside of the main host area...you have even said so yourself. Can't really hurt bids all that much, if they went on to host.

• 2 weeks later...
First, I am not Scottish. I am from Halifax. Second, I do not think Glagsow has this in the bag. However, with Halifax out of the race, those votes (and there were going to be at least a few) will need to go somewhere. I do not think Glasgow is wrong for being slightly more confident than before, just as Abuja should feel the same. Third, since when is saving 30 million (a figure based on your experience of renovating large pools??!!) a bad idea? Besides, you have no idea how much it would cost...you don't know the circumstances surrounding the pool...or the extent of work that needs to be done. Obviously they are doing this for a reason. Besides, other Games have held events outside of the main host area...you have even said so yourself. Can't really hurt bids all that much, if they went on to host.

Please dont be so deluded in thinking That Scott Logans 29 votes were actually coming to halifax. We would get our single vote and that is it. Nobody is insane but the progames supporters that actually beleive that few facilities on the ground would carry any weight with anyone especially nations in the carribbean who are hosting international sports events. Kingston Jamaica would be impressed with Halifax's bid after all they have a couple of stadiums and we have none with an annual Gross domestic product per capita a couple of times larger

then theirs.

Well hey 30 million dollar for a pool renovation is not a bad Idea . SO why do the Scots not actually do it ???? The reason is they actually have to Tear down a facility from the 1970 to sell the land to developers to then renovate the edinburgh facility . Gee that sounds like a well financed bid in Glasgow.

Yes I predicted Halifax's withdraw , I believe Glasgow will follow thru but Abuja will win in the end .

Jim Jones

• 3 months later...

What a way to time it and produce this article, CTV. :lol:

If you guys want to know what I mean, take a look at the title and click on in afterward.

Link: CTV-> Time Cost Halifax Commonwealth Games: Bid Society

Quote: "The group responsible for Canada's aborted bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Halifax says it simply didn't have enough time to mount a successful campaign, dismissing suggestions it was doomed by a ballooning budget and too much secrecy."

ctvLogoSm.gif

Taking the budget and lack of information issues into due consideration, is there not a valid point that Halifax's rivals were far better placed for lobbying, etc, by the time Halifax got the nod as the Canadian bidding city?

Taking the budget and lack of information issues into due consideration, is there not a valid point that Halifax's rivals were far better placed for lobbying, etc, by the time Halifax got the nod as the Canadian bidding city?

The Halifax Committee could not even get the geology reports for the grounds they wanted to build the main stadium, aquatic centre , field house and athletes village on . That proposal was in place for the 2010 bid which went no further then the domestic stage. On the other hand I have communicated with one figure in the commonwealth games movement who liked the bid by Halifax and was disappointed at the withdraw. The personalities in the committee are covering their butts and will never admit that politics and common sense created an atmoshpere in the region that doomed the bid from political support. The commonwealth games is not an idea in canada worth anything more then a college campus event like was the case with victoria 1994. The event is on a much larger scale since Kuala Lumpar.

Jim Jones

Archived