Halifax Bails Out Of Commonwealth Games Bid

Well, congrats Jim, you got want you wanted!

Oh well, it was becoming clear Halifax didn't stand a chance anyway.

The big scandal and question now was why the Canadian selection process actually went with Halifax in the first place?????

I suppose there's lots I could say, but I'm on hols amongst the beaches, reefs and rainforests of North Queensland _ a far more pleasant respite from discussing the sports bidding process.

Go Glasgow! (undoubtedly the odds-on favourite now)

Actually that is part one of what I want. you know part two and considering the rendering of new facilities in abuja that Thita (I believe) brought to the forum it looks like there a preetty good plans a foot in abuja. Considering I predicted what a Commonwealth games would cost for halifax over a year ago with some very basis investigation Roltel you may see my words turn out to be true twice by november.

I could say that I would have loved Halifax to go forward and garner the only vote being andrew pipe of the canadian commonwealth games association.

That would be incredibly cruel for a city to go thru all that and be embrassed for a 14 million dollar effort.

jim jones :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hamilton wants 2014 Commonwealth Games

Last Updated: Friday, March 9, 2007 | 8:25 AM ET

CBC News

Halifax may be out of the running to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games but the mayor of Hamilton says his city could step into the breach and bid for the event.

Fred Eisenberger told CBC News Thursday that Hamilton was ready, willing and able to host the games.

In 2005, Halifax was chosen over Hamilton and other cities to be Canada's contender for the 2014 games.

Eisenberger said he hoped to persuade officials at Commonwealth Games Canada that Hamilton had prepared for that bidding process, and could easily be put forward as this country's choice for a games venue.

"The bid package is done, all of our city facility commitments are already in place before we made the bid, so it'd just be a matter of restoring interest and rekindling enthusiasm [at Commonwealth Games Canada]," Eisenberger said.

The Ottawa-based organization said Thursday that the unexpected decision by Halifax to pull out of the race meant there wasn't time to put together another Canadian bid.

"To say I am disappointed, to say that I am astonished, would be to bring understatement to a new level," said Andrew Pipe, president of Commonwealth Games Canada.

Eisenberger said he'd be working hard to convince Pipe and other sports officials to change their minds and put Hamilton forward, along with Glasgow, Scotland, and Abuja, Nigeria, to play host to Commonwealth athletes in 2014.

Halifax pulled out of the process of bidding for the games Thursday, citing rising costs and faulty predictions of revenues from the event.

Would Hamilton be aloud to replace Halifax by the Commonwealth game confederation?

Why dont you people understand that Hamilton cant afford this? they would need like a billion dollars from the feds to do this, and if thats what the feds contributed, then that would be totally wrong. Even the mayor of Hamilton said that they couldnt come anywhere near to affording 1.7 billion if it came to it.

How come you can't grasp the fact Hamilton has sporting venues well Halifax doesn't. Right there it's a cheaper bid. Secondinly Hamilton is built 2 major sporting venue already. Therefore all that Hamilton would need to building a stadium and an aquatic centre, which I doubt cost $1.6 billion.

(Sorry folks no link I got this third hand...)

By AMY SMITH and JEFFREY SIMPSON

[b]Halifax aborted its bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games on Thursday because the nearly $1.7-billion price tag was too rich.[/b]

Mayor Peter Kelly said it was the right decision for the city and the province.

"We are disappointed we cannot go forward," he told a news conference at city hall. "These Games are not doable.

"We’re not going to put our taxpayers at risk."

Barry Barnet, the minister of health promotion and protection, said the province has maintained all along that the Games had to be affordable.

"The 2014 Commonwealth Games are simply beyond our fiscal capacity," he said.

Mr. Barnet said the province had been prepared to chip in $300 million if Halifax Regional Municipality had won the international competition to be the host city. Ottawa had pledged $400 million and the municipality $200 million.

He said the Halifax 2014 bid committee was asked to develop a winning bid that was affordable, but the requirement for the bid to meet Olympic standards and the need to build infra-structure put the Games out of Halifax’s reach.

"We may have asked them the impossible task," Mr. Barnet said.

The decision to withdraw from the bidding means the race is down to two — Glasgow, Scotland, and Abuja, Nigeria. The winner will be picked on Nov. 9 in Sri Lanka.

"What a dark day for Halifax, what a dark day for Nova Scotia, what a dark day for Canada," said Fred MacGillivray, chairman of the Halifax 2014 bid committee.

He said the decision was premature because there were still two months left to whittle down the projected cost of the bid. The committee recently lowered it to $1.3 billion from $1.6 billion but that wasn’t low enough for the province or city, he said.

The cost for hosting the Games was high because Halifax, unlike other Canadian cities, doesn’t already have the necessary sports facilities, he said.

Mr. MacGillivray was critical of one of the reports upon which the city and province relied because it was written by a former consultant for Hamilton, which opposed Halifax in the domestic bid competition.

"We beat them out," he said. "To have an individual who put together the bid for 2014 Hamilton critique our bid doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me."

The committee has already spent about half of its $14.3-million bid preparation budget and will continue working over the next few months to wrap things up, Mr. MacGillivray said.

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay said the decision to pull the plug on the Games ended an opportunity to establish world-class sports facilities in Nova Scotia.

"I feel profoundly disappointed," Mr. MacKay, who is also the minister responsible for ACOA, said in Stellarton.

He had hoped that hosting the Games would leave a "lasting infrastructure footprint" in the city. A large stadium would later be able to host professional sports like a CFL franchise or encourage local health and ParticipAction initiatives, he said.

"There have been five international sporting events in Canadian history," he said. "We’ve never had one east of Montreal."

Andrew Pipe, an Ottawa doctor who is the president of Commonwealth Games Canada, said the decision to scrap the bid was astonishing because Halifax had a very good chance of winning.

"It is tragically ironic," he said. "What has happened in the past 48 hours, if you’ll forgive me, is for a stranger to your region absolutely baffling."

Mr. Pipe, whose organization had selected Halifax to represent Canada in the international bidding competition for the Games, said he remains convinced Halifax was the right choice but declined to directly criticize the political decision to pull the plug.

"Wiser men than I have cautioned me about making comments about politicians and decisions that they make," he said. "I am deeply saddened by the short-sightedness."

Premier Rodney MacDonald said the province would have had to at least double its proposed $300-million contribution to the Games if Halifax’s bid had been successful.

"We cannot take a chance with those kinds of numbers here in a province our size," the premier said.

Mr. MacDonald said withdrawing should send a message to the Commonwealth Games Federation that the standards for the Games should be within reach of smaller cities, not just large centres.

According to the Office of Health Promotion and Protection, the bid proposed $571.2 million for capital costs, $635.7 million for operations and $140 million for other federal, provincial and municipal services. The total estimated cost, including inflation, was $1.6 billion to $1.7 billion.

Several Halifax councillors stormed out of a closed-door meeting Thursday morning after receiving a news release on their BlackBerrys announcing that the province and municipality were withdrawing from the bid. The release was sent out before councillors even had a chance to vote on the issue. Mr. Barnet later said a draft release had been sent out by mistake.

"It’s premature evacuation," Coun. Sheila Fougere said of the withdrawal.

The city and the province should have fought harder, she said.

"We have been accused at this end of the country by Stephen Harper, to much ado, of having a culture of defeat," Ms. Fougere said. "Was he right?"

Deputy Mayor Sue Uteck was quick to criticize Mr. Kelly, whom she accused of leading the motion to scrap the bid.

"No vision, no passion, no leadership," Ms. Uteck said.

Coun. Gloria McCluskey, a vocal critic of the cost of the Games and the secrecy surrounding the bid, said she feels terrible that the city won’t get to host the event but there was no alternative.

"The figures were more than we could afford," she said. "That’s what went wrong."

( asmith©herald.ca)

( jsimpson©herald.ca)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wow talk about mutiny in the room....maybe now the city council can get a blush of what the NS public feels like when the council makes decisons without our consultation FIRST...

Uteck -Fougere et al became 'credibility non grata' when they chose to harbour a criminal in their midst so to see them so 'outraged' on this issue is entertaining from a clincial perpsective...very confused priorties indeed.

Pipe and MACG are scary in their obvious detachment from the facts. They seem to be the only ones sincerely shocked at the decision to withdraw.. HRM did not have a chance of winning....AT ALL

The committee has already spent about half of its $14.3-million bid preparation budget and will continue working over the next few months to wrap things up, Mr. MacGillivray said.

I go to court this week to fight for medical supplies for disabilities, the result of being a victim of criminal activities aggravated by corrupt NS govt... and this is where the money went ?

I am one of tens of thousands in NS that suffer needlessly because of this same govt that conveniently finds money when it wants to...

I have no words to describe the shame this BIDTEAM/GOVT should be feeling but had they had the capacity for such humanity we would not be having this discussion in the first place.

Too bad the impoverished in NS didnot get that message on their BLACK BERRIES ( a CDN invention :))

Premature is not sending out the draft, premature is the submission of the bid...

I think Barnett deliberately sent out the release before council got it...clever indeed.......hehehehehheeh....when they start turning on each other you know the GAME was over before it got started.....

RIP

when is out next city election??? GET RID OF THEM ALL!!!!!

How come you can't grasp the fact Hamilton has sporting venues well Halifax doesn't. Right there it's a cheaper bid. Secondinly Hamilton is built 2 major sporting venue already. Therefore all that Hamilton would need to building a stadium and an aquatic centre, which I doubt cost $1.6 billion.

But like I said before, you wouldnt need a velodrome, or athletes village (because a university residence just seems kinda wierd to me) or security costs, or upgrades to other facilities by 2014? It just seems like to bring everything up to standard, it would all have to be upgraded by 2014.

Hamilton wants 2014 Commonwealth Games

snipped

Apple I wish you guys much success in placing a bid to the CWF ....it should have went to you guys in the first place.

Seems Pipe is throwing a hissy fit but I hope that does not hurt your chances to resubmit. Can he be asked to be removed from this decsion for now?

I want GLASGOW to win but only fairly, not by default.

Here's Hamilton's budget

$835 million -- proposed budget

$100 million -- from the city

$292 million -- from the Ontario government

$292 million -- from the federal government

That's more then enough to upgrade facilities and build a stadium with an aquatic centre. There's also Bob Young (owns the CFL Hamilton Tigers Cat) who will help pay some of the cost for the stadium, yes private sector exist too.

Here's Hamilton's budget

$835 million -- proposed budget

$100 million -- from the city

$292 million -- from the Ontario government

$292 million -- from the federal government

That's more then enough to upgrade facilities and build a stadium with an aquatic centre. There's also Bob Young (owns the CFL Hamilton Tigers Cat) who will help pay some of the cost for the stadium, yes private sector exist too.

I guess that goes to show why Halifax should build facilities in stages in stead of going for it all in one punch, because a budget like that would have been easily affordable.

I guess that goes to show why Halifax should build facilities in stages in stead of going for it all in one punch, because a budget like that would have been easily affordable.

Wishblade it is too steep a hill for halifax to climb. Nova scotia native Ron Joyce provided 10 million to the new field hockey facility on the university campus of mac master. Hamiton has actually built over the years and has a private sector that partners with the local government . Halifax well Panhandling inside the liquor commission says it all .

Until the city officials can actually ID a piece of land for a sport park with transportation infrastructure links in place and start to have a multi decade plan hlaifax will always been the kid on the outside looking in. I know the two places I would pick and neither of them are at the shannon park site. Until you have good leadership that is in tune with reality you will never have a plan or business model that will work .

Mike Hooper has ruled out Hamilton coming into the bid process for 2014 . it is too late.

jim jones

"No from Halifax and "no" from the Commonwealth Games Federation.

Link: CBC: No Halifax, No Canada Bid For Commonwealth Games: Federation

This statement is going to be sick for some of us to read, but I guess this was going to be another indication about why Toronto would not have wanted to bid for the 2016 Olympic Games and, I guess, the Canadian summer athletes will continue to suffer from the same problems that seems to be plaguing the whole system since the time of Sydney 2000.

What do you mean I got what I wanted? Now that Halifax had dropped its bid. I guess Abuja will be my new favourite candidate city.

I meant Jim Jones.

Abuja favourite?!? They can't even get a bid book together and the bid chief himself thinks Glasgow is way ahead of them. Bids aren't won on sentiment alone _ Glasgow is miles ahead!

I meant Jim Jones.

Abuja favourite?!? They can't even get a bid book together and the bid chief himself thinks Glasgow is way ahead of them. Bids aren't won on sentiment alone _ Glasgow is miles ahead!

No they are not won by sentiment alone Bribery and Geo political politics come into place as well LOL. Then there is the world class facilites and abundant Petro dollars of a county with very little foreign debt. Unless the Nigerian National elections break out in huge civil unrest. Abuja will be there and probably win .

We how see addition facilities on the board for Abuja which would make for everyone of their venues built from the ground up on this side of the millenimum.

Glasgow is not without its problems for their bid as well. sharing aquatics with Edinburgh. GEE that sounds like a city that is going all out.

The funny thing about that is atleast halifax bid Halifax had their aquatic in one place under one roof and now seperated by 41 miles like the joint bid of Edinburgh/glasgow. LOL. Gee it is something because the north sea is the coast beside the city of Edinburgh and the atlantic is on the west coast with glasgow.

Would that be like the commonwealth games being held in Vancouver and Halifax????

Jim jones

That is ridiculous. If supporters of Glasgow can look past this and sieve through Abuja's well put together bid, then they should wake up from their day dream and smell the coffee.

The problem I see for the nigerian bid is not that you dont have the capacity it is that Mitchell Obi and the nigerian seems to relying too much on africas turn to host. This is by not means a faite de complete either way.

I believe it is africas turn after 80 years but if the abuja 2014 committee does not doing the road work outside of the african continent it will be like athens losing on the 100 th aniversery of the games for 1996.

I read a report of glasgow 2014 meeting with the seychelles islands and that the halifax committee had been there in december dropping off their 10000 dollar grant to their association. Abuja had not been to the same commonwealth games association and the seychelles sports people did not knwo if they were coming.

Sympathy and world class facilities are one thing but Abuja 2014 are in a competition and considering the scots came to Lagos. Set up camp and proceeded to make that the base of operations for their lobbying trips to west african countries. THe nigerian olympic officials said it was the enemy was eating off the tops of their heads ROTFLMAO.

I have to say the only way scotland win is to keep doing what they are doing while Abuja remains out of the game.

I really believe Abuja has a chance but so did other cities in canada besides Halifax.

A trip to the carribbean by the committee would be in order for the Carribbean sports festival that is being held in the turks and caicos islands.

Atleast Halifax had the foresight to loan those games a scoreboard LOL.

jim jones

My feelings totally wishblade. As an anti-games advocate I am not totally against sport facility development that has a multi decade structured plan on what makes sense for the community. THe Commonwealth games is something totally devoid of meaning in canada and thus it really is something we should not host.

A structured plan that was built around our sports tastes serves the public better. A stadium at the added cost of a 5 million dollar lawn bowls facility, a netball facility and other foreign sports to ours does not make sense. You build your sports facilities to have the expansion capabilities to switch to these other sports and you might have something.

There was things that could have been done to pair down the bid costs that i know of. But I was not going to share them with the powers to be after all would they listen???? Of course not. Phased development of a stadium is something the city should be looking into. Many small cities with NCAA colleges have successfully gone from nothing to huge stadiums, Aquatics Centres and Athletes tracks over decades.

The U of Tennessee has the third largest stadium in america. A 25000 seat arena , a world class aquatics centre and a athletics track with seating for 15000.

They are now drawing up plans for th next 30 years. Neyland Memorial stadium was started with 10000 seats and is now at 108,000 capacity.

jim jones

No they are not won by sentiment alone Bribery and Geo political politics come into place as well LOL. Then there is the world class facilites and abundant Petro dollars of a county with very little foreign debt. Unless the Nigerian National elections break out in huge civil unrest. Abuja will be there and probably win .

We how see addition facilities on the board for Abuja which would make for everyone of their venues built from the ground up on this side of the millenimum.

Glasgow is not without its problems for their bid as well. sharing aquatics with Edinburgh. GEE that sounds like a city that is going all out.

The funny thing about that is atleast halifax bid Halifax had their aquatic in one place under one roof and now seperated by 41 miles like the joint bid of Edinburgh/glasgow. LOL. Gee it is something because the north sea is the coast beside the city of Edinburgh and the atlantic is on the west coast with glasgow.

Would that be like the commonwealth games being held in Vancouver and Halifax????

Jim jones

It is 50 minutes by train....hardly an issue. Maybe a bit more like Halifax and Truro.

It is 50 minutes by train....hardly an issue. Maybe a bit more like Halifax and Truro.

Well yes but think about this one . The main stadium of Abuja to Aso Rock. Aso Rock I believe is where the mountain bike part of the abuja bid will be held.

I can see if you are talking a team sport like basketball and your first rounds but the finals of the Aquatics sports being held 41 miles apart ???

That is a weak bid because glasgow should be able to hold one of the two most important sports of a sports festival at one location in Glasgow itself or atleast within the city limits.

jim jones

While this is really embarrassing for Canadians and there hopes to host major competitions at the moment may seem dashed, I'm sure everyone will soon forget about the Halifax saga when they see what I'm sure will be a very successful Vancouver 2010.

The UK didn't even have that to look forward to when it withdrew from the World Athletics Championships but they still managed to be awarded the Olympics just a few years later - so any thoughts of this impacting the future prospects for Canadian cities and hallmark events are a little premature in my opinion.

Of course I'm hoping for a Glasgow victory, however, I think it's great that a nation like Nigeria has developed enough confidence to bid for such events - I wish them luck!

Well yes but think about this one . The main stadium of Abuja to Aso Rock. Aso Rock I believe is where the mountain bike part of the abuja bid will be held.

I can see if you are talking a team sport like basketball and your first rounds but the finals of the Aquatics sports being held 41 miles apart ???

That is a weak bid because glasgow should be able to hold one of the two most important sports of a sports festival at one location in Glasgow itself or atleast within the city limits.

jim jones

Funny how not that long ago you supported Glasgow's decision to spread the Games to other areas of Scotland, and also praised the bid for using existing facilities. What has changed to put you on the attack against Glasgow? Hmmm...let me see....

I think it is a great idea....it is likely that many spectators would travel to Edinburgh anyway to take in the sights. Out of curiousity, in which month are the Games held?

While this is really embarrassing for Canadians and there hopes to host major competitions at the moment may seem dashed, I'm sure everyone will soon forget about the Halifax saga when they see what I'm sure will be a very successful Vancouver 2010.

The UK didn't even have that to look forward to when it withdrew from the World Athletics Championships but they still managed to be awarded the Olympics just a few years later - so any thoughts of this impacting the future prospects for Canadian cities and hallmark events are a little premature in my opinion.

Of course I'm hoping for a Glasgow victory, however, I think it's great that a nation like Nigeria has developed enough confidence to bid for such events - I wish them luck!

Well, the UK is no nation to sneeze at, being a "world major power." Canada, on the other hand, is sometimes called "small and insignificant" to those who are ignorant about the country's potential. Never that some of those sentiments are nurtured WITHIN the nation itself. It was very sad, when the British media called Edmonton "dead" at the time of the 2001 World Athletics Championships.

Funny how not that long ago you supported Glasgow's decision to spread the Games to other areas of Scotland, and also praised the bid for using existing facilities. What has changed to put you on the attack against Glasgow? Hmmm...let me see....

I think it is a great idea....it is likely that many spectators would travel to Edinburgh anyway to take in the sights. Out of curiousity, in which month are the Games held?

You have the wrong JIM . it is a stupid idea really . you are looking at one of the two core sports in all sport festival co-oped between a bid city and a city that hosted 21 years ago???? Why would a aquatics federation put up with that when the commonwealth games does not event have water polo like the olympics or pan am games.

Personally I dont understand it because that shows weakness with the city of glasgow with the bid itself. What is 30 million to expand and have a diving pool on the Tollcross site ??? Perhaps 30 million is more then the scots are willing to spend to property do the games properly. Atleast Halifax had aquatics on the same site for their failed bid LOL.

jim jones

Archived