Halifax Bails Out Of Commonwealth Games Bid

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VINDICTION that is what the Anti-games force have acquired.

MYself and Bruce Devenne hit the numbers pretty much on target.

My estimate would be that a big hole would be blown out of 2 billion dollars.

Three independant economics studies back that up.

jim jones

Makes one wonder, in the end, if Canada as a whole can even afford these sort of things nowadays? At least, my province just put out its first Throne Speech under Ed Stelmach on what needs to be really done, before either Edmonton or Calgary is going to go for another international event despite the amounts of money it has been receiving for the last decade or so. Well, there's talk about a World's Fair for Edmonton in 2017 or 2018, but that is not guaranteed because of its critical infrastructure needs, too, like Calgary.

Also, the Commonwealth Games Canada people "really need to get their act together." Now that this sad news has come out to those with the Glasgow and Abuja bid committees, what they were thinking, when they gave Halifax the 2014 national bid in the first place? This is like another such Canadian entity that did exactly the same thing TWICE to both my city and Edmonton before this sad episode. Either city, and sorry for my bias here, could have another international event come Canada's way, if it weren't for the same bunglings that I am seeing now. I am beginning to wonder here who is making these decisions and whether they need to be reformed more than the bid cities themselves.

I think that is a very important point, especially when one considers the controversy surrounding the original decision to award Halifax the bid in the first place.

Anyway, now that it is a straight fight between Glasgow and Abuja, who do people think Halifax's withdrawal actually favours, if it favours either bid at all?

Well, I did, at the time, voted Glasgow for these Games because it was a "safe option" at the time. Now that Halifax is out, it is the "newcomer" vs. the "veteran." For me, it is a "wide-open contest" because even though I would like to have the Scottish city get it, it is going against the fact that Great Britain is trying to bid for other international events "in a row", like the way China is starting its long run of international events. However, I do sometimes have a problem with one section of the world "grabbing all the attention" like that.

For Abuja, I would like to have them, too. However, with the international TV news sector going 24 hours nowadays, they tend to hit Nigeria as a whole "really tough and hard." Of course, it seems that Africa as a whole is going through with it, too. Never mind that Delhi is not helping matters, when it comes to being the first time host of the Commonwealth Games with India and its international image. That could irk the Commonwealth Games Federation to think that having another first-time national host may be more than they can handle. Sure, the Commonwealth Games should go to an African city, but how much risk would they want to take in the end?

Now I'm extremly annoyed. Hamilton should have won the domestic bid. If it wasn't for committee members having links with Halifax Hamilton would have won and Hamilton would have been the front runner having bid for the 2010 Games.

I'm not surprised. I like Halifax, but following KL, Manchester, Melbourne and Delhi would have been a huge challenge. The Commonwealth Games have grown a lot and Halifax was just too small to take it on. If Halifax wanted a large international event, they should have looked at some sort of World Championships.

In Canada, the Commonwealth Games would have been better suited for cities like Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Winnipeg or Toronto. Maybe Montreal or Quebec City if the French thing wasn't such an oddity and Vancouver if not for 2010, but a city needs to be around the million mark or more to make sense. I doubt that Victoria, host of the '94 edition, would have managed the Games as they are now. They were the last of the small time CG's.

Good luck to Halifax on hosting the 2011 Canada Winter Games.

I'm not surprised. I like Halifax, but following KL, Manchester, Melbourne and Delhi would have been a huge challenge. The Commonwealth Games have grown a lot and Halifax was just too small to take it on. If Halifax wanted a large international event, they should have looked at some sort of World Championships.

In Canada, the Commonwealth Games would have been better suited for cities like Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Winnipeg or Toronto. Maybe Montreal or Quebec City if the French thing wasn't such an oddity and Vancouver if not for 2010, but a city needs to be around the million mark or more to make sense. I doubt that Victoria, host of the '94 edition, would have managed the Games as they are now. They were the last of the small time CG's.

Good luck to Halifax on hosting the 2011 Canada Winter Games.

Whats crazy about the Canada Games is that a lot of people are saying Halifax is too big for that and has outgrown it and should give the smaller contenders the chance. I say since we lost the CWG, screw that, take the games and run with it.

It's just sad that Halifax couldn't maintain its commitment and see it through to the end.When did the enthusiasm die? Although the city's withdrawal can be viewed as good news for the chances of Abuja and Glasgow,I feel it does no good to the overall image of the Commonwealth Games and the bidding process in general.What a shame!! :(

Well this was some pretty awful news to wake up to. Congratulations, Jim, Outraged, Bruce DeVenne, you've got your wish.

I think this incident has given Halifax a good opporunity to look at itself and decide where it wants to go. Do you want to stay a city that lacks the capacity to hold these kind of events? What kind of city and province will you be leaving behind for your youth? Is it going to be one where they'll thrive, or one they'll be dying to leave at the first opportunity? If it's the former, then a major attitude adjustment is necessary. You'll have to learn to expect more of yourselves and of your elected officials.

It's also important to point out how organized the anti-games people are and how well a small number of them were able to scuttle the whole bid. If Halifax ever decides it's ready to grow up, those in favour will have to get just as organized in order to see it through.

Until then, sorry Halifax, nothing's gonna happen.... nothing.

Now I'm extremly annoyed. Hamilton should have won the domestic bid. If it wasn't for committee members having links with Halifax Hamilton would have won and Hamilton would have been the front runner having bid for the 2010 Games.

Whoever thinks Hamilton is even within the means of affording this is out of it after watching this unfold. This obviously has turned into a sporting event for only cities of millions with a massive tax base.

It's also important to point out how organized the anti-games people are and how well a small number of them were able to scuttle the whole bid. If Halifax ever decides it's ready to grow up, those in favour will have to get just as organized in order to see it through.

Now lets just hold on a second...the actions of Bruce DeVenne and Co. did not result in the bid being pulled. The public still supported the bid based on the independent surveys and it is the public which anti-games people tried to win over. It was just too expensive, and Halifax has no facilities. It is sad to see the bid pulled as I wanted to see the Games in Halifax. However, I think it is just a matter of when knowing to draw the line. As others mentioned, it is just a shame that bids often under estimate the associated costs...nobody wins in such a case.

Well, Apple, I'm annoyed about the whole thing that, to me, is in the Commonwealth Games CANADA's corner. I would love to hear THEIR reaction to their lovely decision to give Halifax the national bid in the first place. It is not surprising that there hasn't any comments from THEM yet. I bet they're too embarrassed to face the music right now. Makes one wonder what did they gain from then?

As for Calgary, it is an intriguing decision to pursue the idea. However, if I read something correctly then, Edmonton may try to put a bid forward for the 2018 Commonwealth Games first, per Kendegra's post there, instead of my city. Never mind that Calgary dropped the 2014 bid plan because the city felt it was not the right time to bid for another international Games, when it is in an employment and critical infrastructure crunch. But, I guess there could be some behind-the-scenes work to try to get the idea going. The so-called drawback is the idea of the, "Oh, no, not western Canada again", attitude amongst Canadians who feel that the West is gaining prestige in the expense of the Central and Eastern regions of the country. This is especially so, when it comes to the province of Alberta and the massive wealth it has gained for over a decade and some. On top of that, this news comes a day after the Alberta government's throne speech under the leadership of Ed Stelmach, which calls for more "accountability" of where this "huge amounts of wealth" will go.

Wow. This is the FOURTH article from the CBC about this turn of events I have found. I don't know if they are just a summary or repeats of the past ones I posted earlier today.

Link: CBC: Halifax Drops Out Of Games Race

And, here is something for you ALL to get involved in your opinions about Halifax dropping out of the contest.

Link: CBC Nova Scotia: Your View (A Prize Worth Winning?)

And, speaking of the Commonwealth Games Canada, what is this guy saying about Halifax being "the right choice?"

Link: CBC: Halifax Kills Commonwealth Games Bid, National Organizer Furious At Decision

This bid has been shaky from the get go. I knew something fishy was going on when they were hiding the budget from the public for the longest time.

Apple, I'm also pissed that Hamilton was shafted to the side this time around. It kind of makes me feel the same way when the COC allowed Vancouver to bid for 2010 while Toronto was bidding for 2008 when clearly Canada was focusing on the Summer games, therefore losing any chance of bidding again for 2012. I guess we'll all have to wait for 2018. I'll laugh if Halifax submits another bid for 2018. OH GOD, what an embarassment Halifax is now for Canadians.

i am quite dissapointed.....i hate to say it but it was a huge mistake for Canada to let Halifax bid for 2014. It should've gone to Hamilton, and I am quite sure they are extremely pissed.

The good citizens of Halifax should be relieved. They just saved themselves a lot of money and a lot of embarrassment. Realizing that you are going to be in over your head before you actually do get in over your head isn't incompetence, it is insightful. Montreal knows the experience and strain of hosting an over-the-top and over-budget Games with limited legacy. The CG's are about the same size as the WOG's but Halifax is much smaller than Vancouver and doesn't have much of the infrastructure and venues needed for the rather irrelevant Commonwealth Games.

This should not be seen as a victory for the NIMBY's or a defeat for the CG supporters...it is just a sober realization that overextending yourself for some prestige you cannot afford is not the best use of energy and resources.

Halifax will be better off and Canada will do just fine in the future.

The good citizens of Halifax should be relieved. They just saved themselves a lot of money and a lot of embarrassment. Realizing that you are going to be in over your head before you actually do get in over your head isn't incompetence, it is insightful. Montreal knows the experience and strain of hosting an over-the-top and over-budget Games with limited legacy. The CG's are about the same size as the WOG's but Halifax is much smaller than Vancouver and doesn't have much of the infrastructure and venues needed for the rather irrelevant Commonwealth Games.

This should not be seen as a victory for the NIMBY's or a defeat for the CG supporters...it is just a sober realization that overextending yourself for some prestige you cannot afford is not the best use of energy and resources.

Halifax will be better off and Canada will do just fine in the future.

Well you are right, but Halifax shouldn't have wasted their time and enter the domestic bid race when a city like Hamilton or Ottawa who were more capable.

Well, the CGF of Canada didn't agree with you. The problem was they soon realized that what was really needed to win and host was much more than they could afford or need. Sometimes you have to make the mistake to learn from it. This time, they half made it.

Well, the CGF of Canada didn't agree with you. The problem was they soon realized that what was really needed to win and host was much more than they could afford or need. Sometimes you have to make the mistake to learn from it. This time, they half made it.

I'm sure their was strings pulled in the domestic bid processed in Halifax's favour even though they may have not had the best bid.

I'm sure their was strings pulled in the domestic bid processed in Halifax's favour even though they may have not had the best bid.

No kidding, after what the CBC reported about the head of Commonwealth Games Canada being furious about the decision.

Check the GB news section shortly

HOORAY HOORAY did I say HOORAY

now I am most happy with the news but sad about the cowardice of some of the key players now kissing serious NS public buttocks...Barnet et posse did nothing for the public and they know it!

EMERGENCY MEETINGS ??????

Andrew Pipe...eminently winnable???? please put down the glass pipe and walk away........

article does talk about the 'power' of the minority (that must be me and JIM .).. LMAO......our work here is done.....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story...es-numbers.html

ding dong the bid is dead, the wicked bid, the bid from the east, ding dong the wicked bid is dead.... everybody now.........

'obstacles are for those who took their eyes off the goal'.......(unknown) I have 20/20 vision...

but in the grander scheme of things.... we are just getting started......this will be the least of city council's shame this year..but I am patient and will let them glow in this shame for awhile.......

shhhhhhh

quiet folks HRM has lowered the flag at half mast..... a soft bugle taps is playing in the background..... boxes of kleenex being passed around.... for both pro and anti-games folks......the pro-games weeping from the shame oh the shame..... the anti-games weeping for joy.........

Now the GAMES can begin....

GLASGOW and AJUBA............

GLASGOW GLASGOW GLASGOW GLASGOW GLASGOW GLASGOW

GLASGOW GLASGOW GLASGOW GLASGOW GLASGOW GLASGOW

ps. now that the trash has been taken to the curb.... Jim we must part ways for it is on .....LMAO.....

Archived