Calgary 1988

Guardian

I'm puzzled about the Salt Lake City speed skating venue there, too. You would think, with the success of the 2002 Winter Olympics and the world records that were broken en masse there, the US speed skating team would move out to SLC with its fast ice. Besides, 2 world records got broken again at that Oval for the World Cup event just "now": the 500m and 1500m events for men.

It's good to practice on low-land ovals too. The ovals in Europa are all low-country ovals. You must have a idea how it feels on such an oval. In Torino the competion will be much harder because of the high-air resistance.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, Olympia. It will be interesting on how the ice-makers do with the ice there at Torino and how fast the Olympic speed skaters will go on it. I think the "clap-skates" are now the standard skates for them.

True, Olympia. It will be interesting on how the ice-makers do with the ice there at Torino and how fast the Olympic speed skaters will go on it. I think the "clap-skates" are now the standard skates for them.

Everyone will ride on clap-skates, because you're much faster on it. The icemaker in Torino will be the same as in Calgary, Mark Messer. But the conditions are much harder than in Calgary with a building wich isn't completed yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just before the women take over Lake Louise for their World Cup events, the men had their turn. Even though the venue itself was not part of the Winter Olympics, it will be interesting on how these skiiers do before Torino 2006.

Final results from the weekend of November 27th. Men's Downhill:

1. Fritz Strobl (Austria) - 1:40.96

2. Kjetil Andre Aamodt (Norway) - 1:41.05

3. Marco Buechel (Liechtenstein) - 1:41.11

Final results from the forementioned time period for the Men's Super G:

1. Aksel Lund Svindal (Norway) - 1:26.04

2. Benjamin Raich (Austria) - 1:26.11

3. Daron Rahlves (USA) - 1:26.12

According to the Calgary Herald today, the Saddledome will be the last venue for the Queen's overall tour of Alberta and the latest one of Canada. The celebrations will take place on May 25th. Before that, in an obvious sense, a Museum of the Regiments tour with walkabouts with the public.

Later this afternoon, the Queen and Prince Philip will arrive at the Saddledome to witness the final celebrations of her tour, before returning to the UK directly from the Calgary International Airport. It is reported that there will be a "full house".

did you see that fantastic show at the saddle dome??? IT WAS WONDERFUL!

the song is still stuck in my head....WERE ALBERTA! WERE ALBERTA!

Unfortunately, olympian, I didn't go because I had to go to work.

Anyway, the women had their turn at Lake Louise for their World Cup events, and these were the results:

First Women's Downhill World Cup final results:

1. Elena Fanchini (Italy) - 1:49.33

2. Michaela Dorfmeister (Austria) - 1:49.43

3. Alexandra Meissnitzer (Austria) - 1:49.61

Second Women's Downhill World Cup final results:

1. Lindsey C. Kildow (USA) - 1:49.51

2. Sylvaine Berthod (Switzerland) - 1:49.54

3. Michaela Dorfmeister (Austria) - 1:49.63

Women's Super G Final results:

1. Alexandra Meissnitzer (Austria) - 1:21.73

2. Andrea Fischbacher (Austria) - 1:21.83

3. Michaela Dorfmeister (Austria) - 1:22.56

Everyone will ride on clap-skates, because you're much faster on it. The icemaker in Torino will be the same as in Calgary, Mark Messer. But the conditions are much harder than in Calgary with a building wich isn't completed yet!

Olympia, the last episode of CBC's "Sports Saturday" had a mini-documentary about how the ice at Calgary's Olympic Oval is made with Mark Messer. It is not as simple as some people are made to believe.

Olympia, the last episode of CBC's "Sports Saturday" had a mini-documentary about how the ice at Calgary's Olympic Oval is made with Mark Messer. It is not as simple as some people are made to believe.

It's not simply at all. It takes more than 1 year to get  prefect ice. It's build up layer for layer. And it may not contain any dust. That's why i'm afraid of the ice in Torinio, there is still a lot of dust. But we will see it this weekend!

It's not simply at all. It takes more than 1 year to get  prefect ice.

No, it doesn't.   THat would be the most uneconomical way to go about it.  I understand the process of layering -- but there isn't the luxury of time in most cases.  What about those logos and insignias that are embedded in the ice?  

What about ice shows that play for 3 days or so?  Or championships that happen only once a year?  Ice is made in 24-30 hours; used; and then melted in another 12-16 hours.  Certainly, a stadium is not going to sit empty/unused for a year for one (1) ice event just so 'perfect ice' can be made. :shocked:

It's just the right mix of water (and refrigerants).  Sometimes you get great ice cubes, and sometimes you don't.

I don't know if these are the right results because the FIL website is mostly in German, but Calgary hosted a World Cup in luge over the weekend. However, I'll put the results of those competitions from the COP site here:

Men's Team Competition (4-man):

1. Grimmette/Martin/Zablocki/Bensho (USA) - 2:17.435

2. Schiegl/Schiegl/Manzenreiter/Kle (Austria) - 2:17.799

3. Moffat/Moffat/Lauscher/Christie (Canada) - 2:17.848

Single Men:

1. Albert Demtschenko (Russia) - 1:30.468

2. Georg Hackl (Germany) - 1:30.619

3. David Moller (Germany) - 1:30.658

Single Women:

1. Silke Kraushaar (Germany) - 1:33.613

2. Tatjana Hufner (Germany) - 1:33.641

3. Barbara Niedernhuber (Germany) - 1:33.733

Men's Double:

1. Grimmette/Martin (USA) - 1:27.912

2. Sics/Sics (Latvia) - 1:27.974

3. Schiegl/Schiegl (Austria) - 1:28.032

Speaking of another venue from Calgary 1988, the Canmore Nordic Centre is finally going to get a World Cup event after about 15 years of inaction on this front. I was wondering when it will get the chance to host an international event because it was starting to become a forgotten venue from those 1988 Winter Olympics. Come click on the link below for more information:

Alberta Centennial World Cup 2005

Results from this first World Cup at the Canmore Nordic Centre since the time of Calgary 1988:

Thursday, December 15th.

Women's 10km Free X-Country Skiing:

1. Julija Tchepalova (Russia) - 25:39.0

2. Beckie Scott (Canada) - 25:53.1

3. Evi Sachenbacher Stehle (Germany) - 26:39.5

Men's 15km Free X-Country Skiing:

1. Pietro Piller Cottrer (Italy) - 35:06.8

2. Vincent Vittoz (France) - 35:21.7

3. Tobias Angerer (Germany) - 35:31.3

Saturday, December 17th.

Women's 15km Classical Mass Start X-Country Skiing:

1. Beckie Scott (Canada) - 45:02.2

2. Julija Tchepalova (Russia) - 45:06.9

3. Claudia Kuenzel (Germany) - 45:53.1

Men's 30km Classical Mass Start X-Country Skiing:

1. Tobias Angerer (Germany) - 1:18:10.9

2. Frode Estil (Norway) - 1:18:11.4

3. Jens Filbrich (Germany) - 1:18:12.9

Sunday, December 18th.

Women's 6 X 1.2km Classical Team Sprint:

1. Germany - 18:36.6

2. Canada - 18.39.6

3. Sweden - 18:45.4

Men's 6 X 1.2km Classical Team Sprint:

1. Norway - 16:22.4

2. Sweden (I) - 16:22.5

3. Sweden (II) - 16:28.1

• 1 month later...

I remember Calgary.  I was nine at the time and I remember  the U.S. didn't fare too well in the final medal talley.  What sticks out in my mind has always been Calgary's Olympic logo.  It's the best Winter Olympics one IMHO.

Well, stryker, the USA is now a force to reckon with at the Winter Olympics. Granted, winning 34 medals at SLC 2002 really destroyed the American team's best at Nagano 1998 with 13. However, that could be hard to match this time around at Torino 2006. Overall, the USA is doing well in the Winter Olympics anyway.

Speaking of the Calgary 1988 logo, I think it is not bad. But with the onslaught of others after it and those to come, who knows.

1988W_emblem_m.gif

1988W_emblem_m.gif

I just noticed on the Calgary logo that the Olympic rings were coloured red. Was that always and officially the case? Has there been any other times the rings were used in a logo where they were presented in a single colour?

Yes. So far, I have Sarajevo 1984 here:

1984W_emblem_m.gif

And Innsbruck 1976 here:

1976W_emblem_m.gif

1988W_emblem_m.gif

I just noticed on the Calgary logo that the Olympic rings were coloured red. Was that always and officially the case? Has there been any other times the rings were used in a logo where they were presented in a single colour?

I, too, love the Calgary logo.  It's an inscrutable one in that it plays tricks on your eyes -- which is what a superior logo does (see mine below).   :wwww:   It doesn't dumb you down like a certain pile of stones we will be seeing more and more of in the coming 4 years.   :down:

I, too, love the Calgary logo.  It's an inscrutable one in that it plays tricks on your eyes -- which is what a superior logo does (see mine below).   :wwww:   It doesn't dumb you down like a certain pile of stones we will be seeing more and more of in the coming 4 years.   :down:

Well, baron, that "pile of stones" logo has being seen at Torino along with "Casa Canada" there. There's a topic set up in the Torino section on what the house looks like.

• 3 weeks later...
Today is the 18th. anniversary of the XV Olympic Winter Games!

Wow I am getting old. I was almost 17 years old when the games of Calgary happened. Although Canada won 5 medals and no gold, every Canadian will remember the battle of the Brians, Karen Percy's Double Bronze in the downhill and super G and not forget Elizabeth Manley's free skate in the women's long program in figure skating. She actually won the long program and narrowly lost to Katrina Witt.

The Games also introduced the demonstration sports of Freestyle Skiing, Short Track Speed Skating and Curling. If those medals had counted in the standings, Canada could have have won 13 medals including 5 gold.

Today is the 18th. anniversary of the XV Olympic Winter Games!

Wow I am getting old. I was almost 17 years old when the games of Calgary happened. Although Canada won 5 medals and no gold, every Canadian will remember the battle of the Brians, Karen Percy's Double Bronze in the downhill and super G and not forget Elizabeth Manley's free skate in the women's long program in figure skating. She actually won the long program and narrowly lost to Katrina Witt.

The Games also introduced the demonstration sports of Freestyle Skiing, Short Track Speed Skating and Curling. If those medals had counted in the standings, Canada could have have won 13 medals including 5 gold.

On the curling front, there could be a very slim chance. If you haven't heard, the men's only 1924 curling results were very recently been accepted by the IOC as OFFICIAL. Who knows about the other times curling was played in the Winter Olympics, but time will tell on them as well.

As for the figure skating events, some say here that it was the best overall such competitions ever. It could be a stretch to say that, but it is up to one's opinion. However, it will be interesting on who will be in Calgary in March for the World Championships.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, talk about a "skate-fest" for Calgary this month from the 18th to the 26th after Canada's great performance at Torino 2006.

At the Olympic Oval, two speed skating events occurs one after the other. The first one (on the 18th and 19th) is the World Allround Speed Skating Championships. The link is here: 2006 Allround Speed Skating Championships

If that wasn't enough, it will also host the usual and annual "Olympic Oval Finale", starting on the 21st to the 25th on top of it. If I'm correct on this, this has been the ISU's traditional final long track speed skating event since the Calgary 1988 Games. Plus, it is the "every event you could think of" one. Cindy Klassen and company are going to have a field day in these events.

Of course, for figure skating fans, you don't want to forget the 2006 World Figure Skating Championships at the former Olympic Saddledome; now named the Pengrowth Saddledome. The weblink is here: 2006 World Figure Skating Championships If you want to see the people/teams that will be in these championships, come to this link here: 2006 WFSC Participants List

Speaking of Calgary, maybe some of the Canadians out there can help me.

During the Opening of Calgary, the rendition of "Oh Canada"  was one of the best I have ever heard and IMHO, right up there with the Jule Anthony/Human Nature rendition of "Advance Australia Fair."  But I can not find it anywhere and I want to download it.  Anyone have a copy of it I could snag?

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday, March 18th., results from the Allround Championships:

Men's 500m:

1. Shani Davis (USA) - 35.17s

2. Konrad Niedzwiedzki (Poland) - 35.52s

3. Chad Hedrick (USA) - 35.58s

Men's 5000m:

1. Sven Kramer (Netherlands) - 6:09.97

2. Chad Hedrick (USA) - 6:09.98

3. Enrico Fabris (Italy) - 6:10.23

Women's 500m:

1. Cindy Klassen (Canada) - 37.51s

2 (tie). Yekaterina Lobysheva (Russia) - 38.75s

2 (tie). Kristina Groves (Canada) - 38.75s

Women's 3000m:

1. Cindy Klassen (Canada) - 3:53.34

2. Claudia Pechstein (Germany) - 3:57.35

3. Kristina Groves (Canada) - 3:59.46

Sunday, March 19th., results:

Men's 1500m:

1. Shani Davis (USA) - 1:42.68

2. Chad Hedrick (USA) - 1:42.85

3. Denny Morrison (Canada) - 1:42.97

Men's 10000m:

1. Sven Kramer (Netherlands) - 12:51.60

2. Oeystein Groedum (Norway) - 12:56.38

3. Lasse Saetre (Norway) - 12:56.85

Women's 1500m:

1. Cindy Klassen (Canada) - 1:51.85

2. Ireen Wust (Netherlands) - 1:54.03

3. Kristina Groves (Canada) - 1:54.54

Women's 5000m:

1. Cindy Klassen (Canada) - 6:48.97

2. Martina Sablikova (Czech Republic) - 6:50.45

3. Claudia Pechstein (Germany) - 6:51.11

I need to check and be sure, but there was one WORLD RECORD that got broken during this competition that I'm not quite sure. In any case, these are the OVERALL CHAMPIONS in this competition:

Men:

1. Shani Davis (USA)

2. Enrico Fabris (Italy)

3. Sven Kramer (Netherlands)

Women:

1. Cindy Klassen (Canada)

2. Claudia Pechstein (Germany)

3. Kristina Groves (Canada)

Next, the World Figure Skating Championships.  :)

Well, it seems that THREE WORLD RECORDS did get set in the Olympic Oval for the Allround Championships. They were in the men's 1500m and the 10000m events and the women's 3000m event.

Klassen Takes Overall Speed-Skating Title

Klassen Sets New World Record

Added this part of the post later after making this initial one.

Archived