Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardian

Calgary 1988

Oh, no. I hope that US female athlete is okay. Come to this link and look at the October 19th. article on its front page:

International Games Archive

Talk about a screw-up that could end up someone losing his/her life like that. Never mind before the Olympic year, too.

Oh, no. I hope that US female athlete is okay.

Good lord!

It gets even worse. The athlete in question is no other than Noelle Pikus-Pace. She was the overall World Cup title holder in skeleton and the first American woman to achieve this feat. On top of that, she was the silver medallist in the 2005 World Championships in the same sport.

Pikus-Pace Breaks Leg In Accident

Good lord!

It gets even worse. The athlete in question is no other than Noelle Pikus-Pace. She was the overall World Cup title holder in skeleton and the first American woman to achieve this feat. On top of that, she was the silver medallist in the 2005 World Championships in the same sport.

HOLY CRAP.

Oh boy, I bet she's going to make the extra push for Torino. That's exactly the kind of stuff those comeback gold medal memories are made of.  :o

Good lord!

HOLY CRAP.

Oh boy, I bet she's going to make the extra push for Torino. That's exactly the kind of stuff those comeback gold medal memories are made of.  :o

Or she could be a shoo-in for a Paralympics medal.

Good lord!

HOLY CRAP.

Or she could be a shoo-in for a Paralympics medal.

Yes, because that thing Aster needs some big names too!

HOLY CRAP.

Well, it is possible. Besides, it is like part of the Silken Laumann (sp?) scenario before Barcelona 1992 so far. She was injured really badly before those Games and, at the end, won a hard-fought bronze medal in her event.

So, if Noelle's injury is not serious, then she should be able to participate in Torino 2006 anyway.

I haven't heard anything about Noelle, so it must have not been very serious.

I mean, if it was a big tragedy I'm sure there would have been more coverage. Seems all the news nowadays is big tragedies!

Here's a CBC article about the accident. She's going to be ok but her appearance at Torino is in question.

http://www.cbc.ca/story....20.html

I wouldn't count her out just yet. She may be in Torino 2006, whether she is a medal hopeful or not. Besides, if she does get into the Games after this incident, then she has won against the odds by just achieving this feat.

Let the road to Torino 2006 Olympic Winter Games begin with the skeleton and bobsleigh events. Here are the results from the World Cup in these events from Calgary (November 9-12):

Women's Skeleton:

1. Mellisa Hollingsworth (Canada) - 1:56.11

2. Maya Pedersen (Switzerland) - 1:56.86

3. Katie Uhlaender (USA) - 1:56.97

Men's Skeleton:

1. Gregor Staehli (Switzerland) - 1:53.35

2. Zach Lund (USA) - 1:53.39

3. Jeff Pain (Canada) - 1:53.74

Women's Bobsleigh (2-person):

1. Sandra Kiriasis & Anja Schneiderheinze (Germany 1) - 1:53.36

2. Shauna Rohbock & Valerie Fleming (USA 3) - 1:54.04

3. Helen Upperton & Heather Moyse (Canada 1) - 1:54.18

2-Man Bobsleigh:

1. Andre Lange & Kevin Kuske (Germany 1) - 1:49.73

2. Todd Hays & Pavle Jovanovic (USA 1) - 1:50.17

3. Alexandr Zoubkov & Dmitry Stepushkin (Russia 1) - 1:50.52

4-Man Bobsleigh:

1. Andre Lange, Rene Hoppe, Kevin Kuske & Martin Putze (Germany 1) - 1:48.22

2. Todd Hays, Randy Jones, Steve Mesler & Garrett Hines (USA 2) - 1:48.70

3. Alexandr Zoubkov, Sergei Golubev, Alexej Seliverstov & Dmitry Stepushkin (Russia 1) - 1:48.74

The same can be said for the long-track speed skating events, too:

Ladies' Team Pursuit:

1. Germany 1 - 2:56.04

2. China - 3:00.24

3. Germany 2 - 3:00.59

Ladies' 1500m:

1. Anni Friesinger (Germany) - 1:53.48

2. Claudia Pechstein (Germany) - 1:54.92

3. Kristina Groves (Canada) - 1:55.15

Men's 5000m:

1. Chad Hedrick (USA) - 6:09.68 (WORLD RECORD)

2. Carl Verheijen (Netherlands) - 6:11.79

3. Eskil Ervik (Norway) - 6:12.19

Ladies' 3000m:

1. Cindy Klassen (Canada) - 3:55.75 (WORLD RECORD)

2. Claudia Pechstein (Germany) - 3:57.99

3. Anni Friesinger (Germany) - 3:58.52

Men's Team Pursuit:

1. Canada 1 - 3:39.69

2. Netherlands 2 - 3:41.63

3. Netherlands 1 - 3:41.64

Men's 1500m:

1. Shani Davis (USA) - 1:43.52

2. Chad Hedrick (USA) - 1:44.24

3. Aleksandr Kibalko (Russia) - 1:45.26

It's still a fantastic oval. They're still improving it, with a new airco system this time!

It's a pitty it isn't a beautiful building like the vikingskipet!

vikingship7pa.th.gif

Well, Olympia, Calgary's Olympic Oval was the first one used for indoor long-track speed skating events. However, I'm amazed that it is still making world records now, even though some of us say that Calgary's venue lost the title of "fastest ice" to the one in Salt Lake City.

Well, Olympia, Calgary's Olympic Oval was the first one used for indoor long-track speed skating events. However, I'm amazed that it is still making world records now, even though some of us say that Calgary's venue lost the title of "fastest ice" to the one in Salt Lake City.

It's a high-land oval. So when the conditions are right, it's a fantastic oval. Certainly because they have a good climate control system and a great ice-maker Marc Messer!

It's a high-land oval. So when the conditions are right, it's a fantastic oval. Certainly because they have a good climate control system and a great ice-maker Marc Messer!

In that case, it will be interesting to see how Calgary's Olympic Oval will do in hosting the 2006 All-Around Speed Skating Championships. This will occur after Torino 2006.

In that case, it will be interesting to see how Calgary's Olympic Oval will do in hosting the 2006 All-Around Speed Skating Championships. This will occur after Torino 2006.

Me too! And I like the oval more than that in Salt lake. This is more a real sports stadium. SLCis maybe quicker, but it's a factory-hall

I heard somewhere, that Edmonton has a large mall - is this true?

YEAH!!!!!! THE WEST EDMONTON MALL IS THE LARGEST MALL IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!!!!!AND THE BIGGST PARKING PLACE. :)

Me too! And I like the oval more than that in Salt lake. This is more a real sports stadium. SLCis maybe quicker, but it's a factory-hall

Now that you mentioned it like that, it makes me wonder why a few of the American team is still training at Calgary's Olympic Oval rather than in SLC. However, if I'm right, there's even one in Wisconsin, too.

Milwaukee has an Oval but is not nearly as fast as those in SLC and Calgary.

Millwaukee is  a low-country oval.

It all has to do with the air resistance. Wenn there is fewer oxygen, there is less resistance. High-land areas has fewer oxygen so less resistance.

80% off the resistance off a skater is the air resistance. So it ha a big impact on the speed and on the times.

But Millwaukee was the first fully covered oval in the US.

Milwaukee has an Oval but is not nearly as fast as those in SLC and Calgary.

Millwaukee is  a low-country oval.

It all has to do with the air resistance. Wenn there is fewer oxygen, there is less resistance. High-land areas has fewer oxygen so less resistance.

80% off the resistance off a skater is the air resistance. So it ha a big impact on the speed and on the times.

But Millwaukee was the first fully covered oval in the US.

The US Speed Skating team training is based at West Allis, Wisconsin (I guess a suburb of Milwaukee.)  I don't know what's going on with the SLC Oval.  It is a permanent facility; and should be enjoying the largesse from the 2002 profits.

I'm puzzled about the Salt Lake City speed skating venue there, too. You would think, with the success of the 2002 Winter Olympics and the world records that were broken en masse there, the US speed skating team would move out to SLC with its fast ice. Besides, 2 world records got broken again at that Oval for the World Cup event just "now": the 500m and 1500m events for men.

Speaking of another venue from Calgary 1988, the Canmore Nordic Centre is finally going to get a World Cup event after about 15 years of inaction on this front. I was wondering when it will get the chance to host an international event because it was starting to become a forgotten venue from those 1988 Winter Olympics. Come click on the link below for more information:

Alberta Centennial World Cup 2005