Sign in to follow this  
Guardian

Calgary 1988

Here's something that may raise your eyebrows about Calgary 1988. It comes from the International Olympic Academy, in Olympia, Greece, itself:

Community Involvement And The Olympic Games

Little factoid: IOC President, Jacques Rogge, used to be chef de mission for the Belgian team for the Calgary Winter Olympics. He did the same thing for Belgium at the 1976 (Winter) and the 1980, 1984, and 1988 (Summer) Olympics, too.

I recently watched the Calgary 88 Opening Ceremonies, I must say, they were quite shite. LOL. I suppose we can forgive them somewhat, they were in 1988, although there were some ok opening and closing ceremonies happening around that time anyway.

But yeah, the only good thing about them I thought was the cauldron lighting sequence, the rest was very random and naff.

I mean, the cultural dancers at the start and then having , I dunno what they were, Ukranian dancers or something or rather coming out for no apparent reason and taking center stage as they did their little dance.

I didn't see the immediate connection.

The kids forming representations of the various sports, bla bla bla.

The worst thing was when the blowup Dinosaurs came out, and the dancers came out of the shells and danced around.

However, as I say, the cauldron lighting sequence was done reasonably well.

As was the way they incorporated all of the stands for their human graphics.

And it was funny when the judging rep(I think) was asking 'if she should start now' over the microphone before the oath was taken. LOL.

Yeah, you could argue that the opening ceremony for Calgary 1988 was a bit "childish" of sorts. I think it was because OCO'88 tried to upstage the opening ceremonies in rival Edmonton, with the 1978 Commonwealth Games and the 1983 Summer Universiade. Both Games "required" the attendance of some IOC officials, as they are both recognized by it. Remember, the 1983 Summer Universiade was attended by Juan Antonio Samaranch at the opening ceremony.

Since this topic is huge with comments, I'm not sure if this link has been shown yet. In any case, it comes from a Wisconsin visitor to Calgary last year:

Travel Photos (Galen R Frysinger)

Well, Calgary just got another, but not well known, international event. It is the World Skills Competition for 2009. For more information, see this link below:

2009 WorldSkills Competition In Calgary

I was in Calgary for the Olympics that year and I love the town very much. The people were friendly, the transit system was awesome, and venue very well built. Calgary set the standard for speed skating by being the first to build an indoor speed skating rink. Sinne Calgary there has been only one outdoor speedskating rink and that was in Albertville. The next Winter Games had indoor speed skating rinks. Of all the majot cities in Canada, I liked Calgary the best!!    :)

I've just recieved a copy of the Calgary Official Report - so I'll have a look through and see what interesting points in brings up.  Oh, and Matty, they have a picture of the Ukrainian/Russian dancers!  The whole two of them.  Smiling stupidly.

I was in Calgary for the Olympics that year and I love the town very much. The people were friendly, the transit system was awesome, and venue very well built. Calgary set the standard for speed skating by being the first to build an indoor speed skating rink. Sinne Calgary there has been only one outdoor speedskating rink and that was in Albertville. The next Winter Games had indoor speed skating rinks. Of all the majot cities in Canada, I liked Calgary the best!!    :)

Well, thanks for the compliment to the city, Jim Thorpe.

I don't know if the 1988 Winter Olympics had anything to do with this or just a fluke per se, but I found this 1-year-old National Post article about the Calgary-Edmonton corridor that make me a little concerned about the province's future:

"Western Tiger" Alberta Prospers Despite Its Mood Of Discontent

What does Calgary and Melbourne, Australia, have in common?

One: both have hosted one of the two different kinds of Olympic Games.

Two: both are designated as member cities of the UN WHO's "Safe Communities". Melbourne got its designation on April 2000.

As for Calgary, it got its own designation on about April 2003. It is one of the largest cities in the world such honored. For the list of cities around the world that have this honor, come see the links below:

List of 80 Cities (So Far) With WHO's "Safe Community" Status

Calgary: #74 In The World; #4 In Canada; Total of FIVE In Canada So Far

I remember Calgary 1988 for their official song by David Foster. Very funky and Benoit-like. Also, this started the big break for the Jamaican bobsled team, which was celebrated in the film Cool Runnings.

I remember Calgary 1988 for their official song by David Foster. Very funky and Benoit-like. Also, this started the big break for the Jamaican bobsled team, which was celebrated in the film Cool Runnings.

There's talk that David Foster may try to compose the official song for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics.

What does Calgary and Melbourne, Australia, have in common?

One: both have hosted one of the two different kinds of Olympic Games.

Two: both are designated as member cities of the UN WHO's "Safe Communities". Melbourne got its designation on April 2000.

As for Calgary, it got its own designation on about April 2003. It is one of the largest cities in the world such honored. For the list of cities around the world that have this honor, come see the links below:

List of 80 Cities (So Far) With WHO's "Safe Community" Status

Calgary: #74 In The World; #4 In Canada; Total of FIVE In Canada So Far

Haha to be totally off-topic and civic-pride-like, Dallas is on the list, wow!  The entire county too, meaning that I live in one of these communities!  Way to go.   :wwww:

Haha to be totally off-topic and civic-pride-like, Dallas is on the list, wow!  The entire county too, meaning that I live in one of these communities!  Way to go.   :wwww:

Not much civic pride as it was already mentioned. Besides, Dallas is the only US city to have the honor so far, but NOT hosted an Olympic Games.

There's talk that David Foster may try to compose the official song for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics.

Hallelujah for Canada. I'm in earnest his song will be less on jazz, more on razz, but I could be wrong...

I have to go back to Calgary just for the Stampede  :)

When are you thinking of coming up for Stampede? At this annual time period, tourism for the Calgary area is at its peak.

C.A.F., LRT stands for "Light Rail Transit." It's something between a trolleycar and a subway for "small" cities. In fact, Calgary and Edmonton gets its LRT cars for their rail-line systems from Dusseldorf, Germany. Forgive me if I got the spelling of the German city wrong.

As for Edmonton wanting to host the Summer Olympics, that will be the day. Just a thought between you and me: when the plan to get the Summer Olympics was hatched 4 years ago, Calgary was to host half of all the events in the Olympic program. Now, come on!!! That's insane. Might as well give Calgary the Summer Olympics altogether. Crazy, huh?

As of the LRT in Calgary, the city gets two more new stations for the south leg today. More extensions and new lines are coming within the 20-year span.

Starting today and until Sunday, Canada Olympic Park is hosting the last UCI World Cup event in mountain biking before the Athens Olympic Games.

When are you thinking of coming up for Stampede? At this annual time period, tourism for the Calgary area is at its peak.

Well I wish I could come up this year bit I can't becuase I'm going to Athens for the games. I 'll try to make it next year.  :)

Well I wish I could come up this year bit I can't becuase I'm going to Athens for the games. I 'll try to make it next year.  :)

Try your very best to come here next year for the Calgary Stampede. It is because the province of Alberta, in which Calgary is situated, is celebrating its centennial year in 2005. Imagine: 100 years of existence as part of the Canadian confederation.