Calgary 1988

Guardian

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only real memory I have of Calgary 88 was the Canadian FigureSkater winning silver, I forget her full name but her first was Elizabeth.  :blush:

You mean Elizabeth Manley of Ontario.

Thanks for the info.....I have very vague memories of the opening ceremony....I can remember a wigwam being formed around the couldron...was quite impressive!  :)

The cauldron that was shown here was a secondary one at Canada Olympic Park. The real cauldron is bigger and it is still standing at McMahon Stadium.

Yes Elizabeth Manley thank you.  I did not know that about the cauldron.  So its still at the stadium.  have they ever lit it after the games?

Not to my knowledge. However, at certain cases, the cauldrons at Canada Olympic Park and the Calgary Tower are lit for "special occasions."

• 4 weeks later...
Calgary marked the end of a string of IOC-recognized international Games that started in 1976 in Montreal. 4 different Games in a span of 12 years in Canada. It is unprecedented in my POV. They are, of course, the Summer Olympics, the Commonwealth Games, the Summer Universiade, and the Winter Olympics.

XV Olympic Winter Games

Opening Ceremonies

McMahon Stadium

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Saturday, February 13, 1988

gal1988w_l_06.jpg

A giant tee-pee is formed after 12 year old Robyn Perry lights the cauldron.

gal1988w_l_03.jpg

The Olympic rings formed in the stands as Alberta welcomes the world.

gal1988w_l_05.jpg

As 88 torch bearers encircle the stadium field, Cathy Priestner and Ken Read arrive with the Olympic flame.

gal1988w_l_10.jpg

Brian Orser carries the Canadian flag as the host nation enters the stadium.

gal1988w_l_08.jpg

Jeanne Sauve, Gov. Gen. of Canada, opens the Calgary Games.

88opening.jpg

Let the Games begin!

88opening3.jpg

The Snowbirds streak across the sky.

88calgarysky.jpg

Calgary's skyline lights up with fireworks and the Olympic flame.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It will be interesting on how Calgary and Vancouver will work together to make all the venues operational in both cities.

I remember the Calgary games quite well, especially the opening/closing ceremonies. They were awesome! :D

How could you have remembered the Calgary Olympics if you are only 10 years old?   ???  You didn't even exist in 1988

yeah, sorry about that, part of the big scandal.

but i've recently saw clips of the ceremonies from the IOC website.

I remember the Calgary games quite well, especially the opening/closing ceremonies. They were awesome! :D

How could you have remembered the Calgary Olympics if you are only 10 years old?   ???  You didn't even exist in 1988

Nevermind his pre - coming out of the closeth -postings  :laugh:

It will be interesting on how Calgary and Vancouver will work together to make all the venues operational in both cities.

VANOC has already started cooperating with Calgary.

At least, so far so good here. Besides, CODA did send some money to the bid committee then to bring the 2010 Winter Olympics to Canada. I'm sure that OCO'88's experience, learning and otherwise, is still sticking to the IOC and is being transferred to Vancouver with praise.

With the way the Calgary and area has been hosting World Cup events in many sports recently, Vancouver and Whistler area will enjoy the same thing, too. Even more so, if Whistler can host the World Cup in nordic and ski-jumping events in the future, as examples, then Canada will definitely be a true stop-over for international winter sports.

Canada's medal standings in the Winter Olympics:

Calgary 1988 - 13th place (0 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze) - 5 medals

Albertville 1992 - 9th place (2 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze) - 7 medals

Lillehammer 1994 - 7th place (3 gold, 6 silver, 4 bronze) - 13 medals

Nagano 1998 - 4th place (6 gold, 5 silver, 4 bronze) - 15 medals

Salt Lake 2002 - 4th place (6 gold, 3 silver, 8 bronze) - 17 medals

At this rate with new venues for our athletes to practice because of 2010, we should be top 3 in 2010 and maybe even #1 in 2014.

Canada's medal standings in the Winter Olympics:

Calgary 1988 - 13th place (0 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze) - 5 medals

Albertville 1992 - 9th place (2 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze) - 7 medals

Lillehammer 1994 - 7th place (3 gold, 6 silver, 4 bronze) - 13 medals

Nagano 1998 - 4th place (6 gold, 5 silver, 4 bronze) - 15 medals

Salt Lake 2002 - 4th place (6 gold, 3 silver, 8 bronze) - 17 medals

At this rate with new venues for our athletes to practice because of 2010, we should be top 3 in 2010 and maybe even #1 in 2014.

With Canada's venues, existing and new ones, the nation will be a power in winter sports for sure. I hope that Torino 2006 gives Canada its 20-medal mark for the first time.

I think new venues are less important than better funding for athletes... I think we should create a foundation similar to the one in Australia with about $300 to $400 million in funding for elite athletes and development of grassroots athletics. You can even hide it in health care funding, if it promotes active lifestyles.

Yeah. It is true that more funding is needed to educate and show people the benefits of making healthier lifestyles.

I don't think Vancouver's new facilities will greatly benefit Canadian athletics by a huge margin because much of the benefits of Calgary are still going stong.  Even so, they won't start showing up until about 4-8 years or so after the Games and most of that will just be a shift from Calgary to Vancouver.

I don't know about any "sudden" shifts from Calgary to Vancouver per se. Besides, it won't happen that easily. Canada's COC should look up to Germany and the USA for something like this.

Archived