Calgary 1988

Guardian

Talk about no news on this front for a while. But, with the 2007-2008 winter season for all the sports in the Olympic Winter Games program about to begin, it is not surprising that Calgary will be back in the spotlight again, as the winter athletes around the world prepare themselves for a couple of years toward 2010.

And, speaking of highlights, the Alberta government has come through "big time." Despite that Vancouver will host the 2010 Winter Olympics and all the funding needed to make those upcoming Games a success from all levels of government and sponsorship, Ed Stelmach's government has committed partial funding toward what could be "the overall revamping of the entire Canada Olympic Park complex." First, this article from the Canada Olympic Park website:

Link: Canada Olympic Park: Premier Stelmach delivers first phase of funding to push forward construction of CODA’s Centre of Sport Excellence

A quote from the large article: "The complex, part of CODA’s $276 million CDN plan to provide athletes with access to the world-leading facilities and resources they need to win at international competitions, will also become the new permanent home of Hockey Canada, a partner in the facility." With that, 25% of the overall project cost ($69 million CDN) is now in place with more to come over the next couple years.

Second, this rendition is what Canada Olympic Park could look like around the time of Vancouver 2010:

cop2010.jpg

And even though it is still speculative at this time, the ski-jumping area of COP, which to me is kind of ridiculous now, could get its long-awaited makeover to become par with the new Olympic standards. The funding needed to make it possible may be part of this $276-million overall funding plan as well. This, on top of the fact that the area has got its new moguls freestyle skiing section at the end of the last winter season.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot to put this separate article here. This overall plan includes a $190 million CDN athletic and ice complex. Below is the complete Global Calgary TV article about this project.

CODA shows off $190M ice-complex plan

Jason Fekete, Calgary Herald

The Calgary Olympic Development Association unveiled details Thursday morning of a proposed $190-million athletic and ice complex at Canada Olympic Park - the core of its $276-million Centre of Sport Excellence.

The new athletic and ice complex will ultimately house four ice surfaces, including two NHL-size and two Olympic-size rinks, as well as gymnasiums, physical training facilities and plenty of office space.

The facility will also become the new home of Hockey Canada, which expects to have new offices and one of the NHL-size rinks completed by fall 2009 - just in time for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

Premier Ed Stelmach joined Olympic athletes past and present Thursday morning at COP to divulge funding details of the province's previously announced $69-million commitment to the project.

About $40 million will be allocated in year one of the three-year agreement, with the remaining $29 million paid over the following two years. "It's going to be extremely meaningful for athletes as they try to develop themselves," CODA president Bob Nicolay said of the new funding and facility.

"Alberta really needs to do this kind of thing, be a leader in areas like this."

jfekete@theherald.canwest.com

©Calgary Herald 2007

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Talk about no news on this front for a while. But, with the 2007-2008 winter season for all the sports in the Olympic Winter Games program about to begin, it is not surprising that Calgary will be back in the spotlight again, as the winter athletes around the world prepare themselves for a couple of years toward 2010.

And, speaking of highlights, the Alberta government has come through "big time." Despite that Vancouver will host the 2010 Winter Olympics and all the funding needed to make those upcoming Games a success from all levels of government and sponsorship, Ed Stelmach's government has committed partial funding toward what could be "the overall revamping of the entire Canada Olympic Park complex." First, this article from the Canada Olympic Park website:

Link: Canada Olympic Park: Premier Stelmach delivers first phase of funding to push forward construction of CODA’s Centre of Sport Excellence

A quote from the large article: "The complex, part of CODA’s $276 million CDN plan to provide athletes with access to the world-leading facilities and resources they need to win at international competitions, will also become the new permanent home of Hockey Canada, a partner in the facility." With that, 25% of the overall project cost ($69 million CDN) is now in place with more to come over the next couple years.

Second, this rendition is what Canada Olympic Park could look like around the time of Vancouver 2010:

cop2010.jpg

And even though it is still speculative at this time, the ski-jumping area of COP, which to me is kind of ridiculous now, could get its long-awaited makeover to become par with the new Olympic standards. The funding needed to make it possible may be part of this $276-million overall funding plan as well. This, on top of the fact that the area has got its new moguls freestyle skiing section at the end of the last winter season.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot to put this separate article here. This overall plan includes a $190 million CDN athletic and ice complex. Below is the complete Global Calgary TV article about this project.

CODA shows off $190M ice-complex plan

Jason Fekete, Calgary Herald

The Calgary Olympic Development Association unveiled details Thursday morning of a proposed $190-million athletic and ice complex at Canada Olympic Park - the core of its $276-million Centre of Sport Excellence.

The new athletic and ice complex will ultimately house four ice surfaces, including two NHL-size and two Olympic-size rinks, as well as gymnasiums, physical training facilities and plenty of office space.

The facility will also become the new home of Hockey Canada, which expects to have new offices and one of the NHL-size rinks completed by fall 2009 - just in time for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

Premier Ed Stelmach joined Olympic athletes past and present Thursday morning at COP to divulge funding details of the province's previously announced $69-million commitment to the project.

About $40 million will be allocated in year one of the three-year agreement, with the remaining $29 million paid over the following two years. "It's going to be extremely meaningful for athletes as they try to develop themselves," CODA president Bob Nicolay said of the new funding and facility.

"Alberta really needs to do this kind of thing, be a leader in areas like this."

jfekete@theherald.canwest.com

©Calgary Herald 2007

Stelmach being kind with CODA I see, but how he is doing these days with Calgary wanting all that LRT money, has he given in any yet?

Stelmach being kind with CODA I see, but how he is doing these days with Calgary wanting all that LRT money, has he given in any yet?

I'll need to post the article here, once it is updated. According to the local Global news yesterday, Bronconnier was "all smiles" that the monies Calgary needs for a lot more infrastructure building is going to be signed in about two weeks from now. That is, without any strings attached to the same monies. The same applies to Edmonton as well. Remember, this is NOT included the possibility of Alberta getting approved of a high-speed train link between the said cities later this month.

I'll need to post the article here, once it is updated. According to the local Global news yesterday, Bronconnier was "all smiles" that the monies Calgary needs for a lot more infrastructure building is going to be signed in about two weeks from now. That is, without any strings attached to the same monies. The same applies to Edmonton as well. Remember, this is NOT included the possibility of Alberta getting approved of a high-speed train link between the said cities later this month.

Here you go, Techno Dragon.

Link: Calgary Herald: Deal Allows C-Train Growth

Sub-title of article: "Province, major cities forge 10-year infrastructure pact."

Quote: "Design plans for the west leg of the LRT could begin this winter, after the province and its largest cities reached an agreement in principle Tuesday around long-term infrastructure funding."

That is around 5 years ahead of the original schedule for the west line of the LRT system, thanks to the city's mass growth for a few years now. The real crux of the matter here is how the line will be placed because of the way the proposed line's existing infrastructure looks like now. Never mind, from what I have read so far, how one of the proposed stations will be joined with one of the possible high-speed train link stations. There's talk about making the Greyhound bus station area of the city, which is just west of the downtown core, into some sort of a big mass transit stop. Kind of like the way Vancouver is doing with its Waterfront Station area. Don't take my word for it yet because it is just an idea of many proposals on the table for the next 20 years.

Here you go, Techno Dragon.

Link: Calgary Herald: Deal Allows C-Train Growth

Sub-title of article: "Province, major cities forge 10-year infrastructure pact."

Quote: "Design plans for the west leg of the LRT could begin this winter, after the province and its largest cities reached an agreement in principle Tuesday around long-term infrastructure funding."

That is around 5 years ahead of the original schedule for the west line of the LRT system, thanks to the city's mass growth for a few years now. The real crux of the matter here is how the line will be placed because of the way the proposed line's existing infrastructure looks like now. Never mind, from what I have read so far, how one of the proposed stations will be joined with one of the possible high-speed train link stations. There's talk about making the Greyhound bus station area of the city, which is just west of the downtown core, into some sort of a big mass transit stop. Kind of like the way Vancouver is doing with its Waterfront Station area. Don't take my word for it yet because it is just an idea of many proposals on the table for the next 20 years.

And I also believe one of stations is suppose to be underneath a high school sports field. I remember living in the Olympic Village when I first moved to Calgary many years ago, late '90s. Traffic was horrible, and you could tell the place was only built for the Olympics (the shower was leaking into the kitchen, and the plumbing was falling apart.....). I'm suprised it hasnt been condemned yet. Any thoughts if the city might also use this money to finally drive the Northwest/South lines underground to free up space on the 7th avenue corridor for the new line?

Any thoughts if the city might also use this money to finally drive the Northwest/South lines underground to free up space on the 7th avenue corridor for the new line?

Don't think that will happen, until I am practically a senior with more NEW MONEY. Not the monies currently going to be given to it and Edmonton. Suggesting the idea of putting the LRT underground is really not practical at this time. What does puzzle me is the fact that, despite that there will be at least two more new lines of LRT in about 30 years from now, they all still being bottlenecked theoretically at 7th Avenue. Never mind addressing the current urban sprawl problem today. That is what Calgary needs to figure out what its needs are and how to make it happen efficiently with what we have now.

• 2 weeks later...

Two articles I wanted to post here. The first one, Techno Dragon, is about how Calgary will get about $3.3 Billion from the Alberta government over 10 years to get critical infrastructure built for a growing city. This news comes just before the municipal election begin, which is today.

Link: Calgary Herald: Mayor Praises Province's Deal On City Funding

Quote 1: "The 'historic' agreement, which ends a prolonged battle between Mayor Dave Bronconnier and Premier Ed Stelmach, includes a total of $3.3 billion for Calgary over the next decade and an option to extend the deal for another five years."

Quote 2: "It also gives the next city council, which will be elected Oct. 15, the enviable task of coming up with a list of priorities -- expected to include the west leg of the LRT, which is estimated at $600 million, as well as recreational and cultural facilities."

And, relating to this topic, the Calgary Olympic Oval at the University of Calgary campus celebrates its 20th anniversary today!

Link: Olympic Oval News: Olympic Oval Kicks Off 20th Year With Public Skating Celebration

23664_OVALlg.jpg

calgary.jpg

20-olymp.jpg

Two articles I wanted to post here. The first one, Techno Dragon, is about how Calgary will get about $3.3 Billion from the Alberta government over 10 years to get critical infrastructure built for a growing city. This news comes just before the municipal election begin, which is today.

Link: Calgary Herald: Mayor Praises Province's Deal On City Funding

Quote 1: "The 'historic' agreement, which ends a prolonged battle between Mayor Dave Bronconnier and Premier Ed Stelmach, includes a total of $3.3 billion for Calgary over the next decade and an option to extend the deal for another five years."

Quote 2: "It also gives the next city council, which will be elected Oct. 15, the enviable task of coming up with a list of priorities -- expected to include the west leg of the LRT, which is estimated at $600 million, as well as recreational and cultural facilities."

And, relating to this topic, the Calgary Olympic Oval at the University of Calgary campus celebrates its 20th anniversary today!

Link: Olympic Oval News: Olympic Oval Kicks Off 20th Year With Public Skating Celebration

Good to here about the funding - the city badly needs it, especially that west leg. I spent one of my seven years in that part of town (in the 1988 Olympic Village......) and I have no doubt how badly its needed. My other 6 years were spent in Edgemont.

• 2 weeks later...
Good to here about the funding - the city badly needs it, especially that west leg. I spent one of my seven years in that part of town (in the 1988 Olympic Village......) and I have no doubt how badly its needed. My other 6 years were spent in Edgemont.

Guess what, TD? Calgary needs this kind of money to deal with its critical infrastructure and the Stelmach sends a "major bombshell" that reverberated throughout the Canadian economy from last week to early this week in return. Talk about trying to scare away domestic and international investment in Canada, when dealing with royalties from the energy sector. More exaggeration arose from some parts of the world saying that Stelmach, and therefore Harper, are like Chavez of Venezuela and Morales of Bolivia.

• 2 weeks later...

Another $40 million CDN, this time from Ottawa, for CODA to build facilities at Canada Olympic Park to create the country's first official Centre of Sport Excellence. The Alberta government has already committed $69 million for the project. That means almost 50% of the needed funding has been given out now.

Link: CBC: Feds Chip In $40 Million For Calgary Sports Paradise

• 3 weeks later...

I have almost forgotten about this piece of news from the CBC. Before the current ISU short-track speed skating World Cup season began, I ran into this news that floored me. I do not know whether the ISU will recognize it because it was only at the Canadian development team trials at the Calgary Olympic Oval. This guy just went around the rink "as fast as he can" and broke a world record in the process! In fact, two world records were broken during this "training run" by two different guys.

Link: CBC: N.W.T. Speedskater Gilady Zips To World Record

To think, an amateur with no international meet experience and just starting this sport would break a world record like that. This guy is just trying to get into the Canadian team in time for January 2008.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it is another start of another set of World Cup competitions for the city and the surrounding areas. Along with the news that Canadian athletes are going to get incentives for medaling in Vancouver 2010, at least, the Calgary Olympic Oval hosted the second of nine World Cup events in long-track speed skating. Here were the results from the November 16 - 18 event:

Men's 500m (November 16):

1. Jeremy Wotherspoon (CANADA) -> 34.23 sec

2. Dmitry Lobkov (Russia) -> 34.35 sec

3. Joon Mun (Korea) -> 34.43 sec

Men's 1,500m:

1. Simon Kuipers (Netherlands) -> 1:42.37

2. Shani Davis (USA) -> 1:42.83

3. Mark Tuitert (Netherlands) -> 1:42.87

Ladies' 500m (November 16):

1. Jenny Wolf (Germany) -> 37.02 sec (WORLD RECORD!)

2. Beixing Wang (China) -> 37.21 sec

3. Sayuri Yoshii (Japan) -> 37.88 sec

Ladies' 3,000m:

1. Martina Sablikova (Czech Republic) -> 3:55.83

2. Renate Groenewold (Netherlands) -> 3:55.98

3. Kristina Groves (CANADA) -> 3:58.78

Men's 500m (November 17):

1. Jeremy Wotherspoon (CANADA) -> 34.24 sec

2. Tucker Fredricks (USA) -> 34.31 sec

3. Mika Poutala (Finland) -> 34.39 sec

Men's 5,000m:

1. Sven Kramer (Netherlands) -> 6:03.32 (WORLD RECORD!)

2. Enrico Fabris (Italy) -> 6:06.42

3. Carl Verheijen (Netherlands) -> 6:11.15

Ladies' 500m (November 17):

1. Jenny Wolf (Germany) -> 37.15 sec

2. Beixing Wang (China) -> 37.55 sec

3. Annette Gerritsen (Netherlands) -> 37.63 sec

Ladies' 1,500m:

1. Christine Nesbitt (CANADA) -> 1:52.75

2. Anni Friesinger (Germany) -> 1:53.09

3. Kristina Groves (CANADA) -> 1:53.18

Men's 1,000m:

1. Denny Morrison (CANADA) -> 1:07.25

2. Jeremy Wotherspoon (CANADA) -> 1:07.31

3. Shani Davis (USA) -> 1:07.40

Men's Team Pursuit:

1. CANADA -> 3:41.95

2. Norway -> 3:42.88

3. Germany -> 3:44.40

Ladies' 1,000m:

1. Anni Friesinger (Germany) -> 1:13.49

2. Christine Nesbitt (CANADA) -> 1:14.14

3. Chiara Simionato (Italy) -> 1:14.15

Ladies' Team Pursuit:

1. Germany -> 2:56.46

2. CANADA -> 2:59.18

3. Russia -> 3:01.04

While the alpine skiers were at Lake Louise and Panorama (BC), Calgary hosted the second of eight World Cup events in luge at Canada Olympic Park. Here were the results:

Men's Singles:

1. David MöLLER (Germany) -> 1:30.390

2. Jan EICHHORN (Germany) -> 1:30.413

3. Armin ZÖGGELER (Italy) -> 1:30.451

Women's Singles:

1. Tatjana HÜFNER (Germany) -> 1:33.910

2. Silke KRAUSHAAR-PIELACH (Germany) -> 1:33.928

3. Natalie GEISENBERGER (Germany) -> 1:34.029

Men's Doubles:

1. Patric Leitner/Alexander Resch (Germany) -> 1:27.499

2. Christian Oberstolz/Patrick Gruber (Italy) -> 1:27.804

3. Andre Florschütz/Torsten Wustlich (Germany) -> 1:27.807

Techno Dragon, Calgary has officially got the West LRT as the latest infrastructure project to be built. It will go as planned way back in the 1980s and the project will last for 7 years until around 2014; it is also the most controversial because of the way the city needs to accommodate the line and any residents/businesses that will be affected by the construction. Most of all, it is about a decade ahead of the overall transit infrastructure plan for the next 30 years.

The sad part of it all is that Mount Royal College will not be part of the LRT line, despite that it is the only post-secondary institution in the city that is not serviced directly by a LRT line. The University of Calgary, SAIT, Alberta College of Art and, even, St. Mary's University College all are accessible by light rail transit already. What I mean by that is that each of them all are in walking distance from a LRT station dedicated to them in one form or another. Mount Royal College students will have to take the bus, in order to get to a future LRT station on the west line.

• 3 weeks later...
Thats very good news for that part of Calgary - it badly needs it. I believe the 1980's plan also included a subway station near Sarcee and 17th.

Just over the past weekend, Calgary's LRT network gained a new station and about 3km more of new track for the northeast area line. Another station will be opened next year for the existing northwest line.

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about ambition here for the city in the next 10 years. The biggest one of them all is the on-again-off-again idea of Canada's first possible high-speed train link between it and Edmonton by 2018. Of course, it was the mayor's idea and the thought of bring it to Fort McMurray could be problematic at best.

Link 1: CBC: Blueprint For Calgary 2018 Includes Bullet Train

Link 2: A "Your Turn" Version of Said Article Link Above

• 4 weeks later...

From hosting World Cups to becoming a training center for various winter athletes toward Vancouver 2010, Calgary will have that 20th anniversary celebration at Canada Olympic Park on Wednesday, February 13th. Rumors are swirling that Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards will be coming, along with a few of those past athletes that were in the city for the Games then.

• 2 months later...

Well, two rumors I want to put here, before I forget.

First, remember Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards? Well, one rumor has it that he will become an ambassador for the 2010 Arctic Winter Games at Fort McMurrary, Alberta. If you are puzzled about this news, then you are not alone because even I don't get it myself. I would be surprised, if that were to be true because the world couldn't care less about the Arctic Winter Games, like the Universiade and other "second-tier international multi-sport Games."

A second and bigger rumor for those who are passenger train fans around the world, the current premier of Alberta, Ed Stelmach, was reported just today to have said that he will finally approve the building what could be Canada's first high-speed passenger rail service between Calgary and Edmonton, with a stop at the city of Red Deer in the middle. With that, lobby interest groups, like concerned citizens for the environment and big business, applauded the decision. I will have to look for more news about this turn of events for sure.

Whatever the outcome, Canada will join the likes of Japan, the UK, France and others that have such rail services in existence in the future. I am rather perplexed that it could be Alberta first, before the Golden Horseshoe Corridor between Windsor, Ontario, and Quebec City gets its chance to put forward a proposal like this one. I would think that this most-populous area of Canada would have one first, whether in the planning stages or in the process of being built by now, with the metro areas of Toronto and Montreal situated within this corridor. Remember, Toronto and Montreal are well-known cities internationally by themselves.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This was posted on YouTube on June 27th.

Link: YouTube: Winter Games - Calgary 1988 - Can't you feel it?

I believe that this is the version that was performed at the opening ceremony itself. Too bad that there is not the proper video to go with it; just the audio of it.

• 2 months later...

From other post in another forum, the Olympic Oval is most likely going to host another world championship.

"ISU World Allround Speed Skating Championships, February 11-13, 2011 - Calgary/Canada"

- from the ISU Council that considered applications made by Members for ISU Championships during its meeting on June 21-22, 2008 in Monaco.

I have lost count of how many world championships the site has hosted over the 20+ years, since it opened its doors in 1987.

• 5 months later...

Compliments of YouTuber "thisisabadname", who put up the Calgary 1988 Olympic Winter Games opening ceremony clips with commercials of the day then, by going to this link: Calgary 1988 Olympic Winter Games Opening Ceremony

Oh, by the way, it seems that the Wikipedia entry about these Games has been attacked.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this has been discussed, but do you have an official source?

I guess since it opened in 1983, it is now one of the oldest arenas in the NHL. I think only the Igloo (PIT), Joe Louis (DET), MSG (NYR), and Northlands (EDM) are older. But it seems a shame to tear down one of the city's signature buildings. If Montreal won't do it, why should Calgary?

Archived