Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardian

Calgary 1988

Of course, for figure skating fans, you don't want to forget the 2006 World Figure Skating Championships at the former Olympic Saddledome; now named the Pengrowth Saddledome. The weblink is here: 2006 World Figure Skating Championships If you want to see the people/teams that will be in these championships, come to this link here: 2006 WFSC Participants List

As a repeat performance of the posts in another topic, here are the final results of the 2006 World Figure Skating Championships:

Ice Dance:

1. Albena Denkova/Maxim Staviski (Bulgaria)

2. Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon (Canada)

3. Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto (USA)

Pairs:

1. Qing PANG/Jian TONG (China)

2. Dan & Hao ZHANG (China)

3. Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov (Russia)

Ladies:

1. Kimmie Meissner (USA)

2. Fumie Suguri (Japan)

3. Sasha Cohen (USA)

Men:

1. Stephane Lambiel (Switzerland)

2. Brian Joubert (France)

3. Evan Lysacek (USA)

Link: Calgary 2006 Results

Well, it seems that THREE WORLD RECORDS did get set in the Olympic Oval for the Allround Championships. They were in the men's 1500m and the 10000m events and the women's 3000m event.

Klassen Takes Overall Speed-Skating Title

Klassen Sets New World Record

Added this part of the post later after making this initial one.

If these world records that were made in Calgary at the Allround World Championships wasn't enough, it seems that Cindy Klassen made another WORLD RECORD at the Olympic Oval in the women's 1,000m event with the time of 1:13.11. Some junior world records seemed to have been over there, too. The event is called the "Olympic Oval Finale."

Klassen Bests Own Mark In 1,000m

(Note: Cindy Klassen's total points in that world championships is also a WORLD RECORD.)

While I was away from here for about 2 weeks, things were making news in Calgary in these kinds of matters. There was a "thank you party" for some Olympians at the Olympic Plaza with the lighting of the Calgary Tower cauldron. Also, more talk about re-doing the look of Canada Olympic Park by revising some of the plans for it. Most of all, new IOC member, Beckie Scott, announces her retirement from competition:

Cross-Country Skier Beckie Scott Retires

Went to the Olympic Museum last week. It is going a bit of a change makeover, but not a serious one.

In honor of the Winter Olympics coming back to Canada for the second time via Vancouver 2010, the RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) is having its "RBC 2010 Flag Tour" across the country. The city of Calgary is the LAST stop of the tour before reaching Vancouver itself. The Calgary event will be held at the Canada Olympic Park area on May 5-7.

Link: The RBC 2010 Flag Tour Event

Well, well, well. Taking a member's idea from a post in another topic, I decided to try to find any Calgary 1988 info within that website. What surprised me was that, using the proper search words, someone had actually got the Calgary 1988 PROMOTIONAL TAPE and uploaded the entire program in there.

To sum it up, this 12 min. & 13 sec. program was used as part of a small exhibition called the "Calgary Olympic Centre", which was in the Calgary Tower complex's second floor then in around 1987. I had to pinch my cheek to be sure that I wasn't dreaming. I thought that, once the Games started and finished, the tape would be gone forever. I didn't not expect it to be in this website, after all these years. In fact, the person responsible for uploading it here did it just last Thursday.

So, if those of you wanting to see what the film was all about, then come to these links below (in order):

Calgary '88: Soon The Glory Begins (Part 1 of 2)

Calgary '88: Soon The Glory Begins (Part 2 of 2)

It is that time again for Calgary: the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede. This 10-day event starts on July 7 and ends on July 16. Most of all, it starts with its traditional parade.

It is most fitting that the parade marshals for this year's Stampede comes from one of the Canadian Torino 2006 performances. They are SARA RENNER (silver medallist in x-country skiing) and the Norwegian national x-country skiing coach BJOENAR HAAKENSMOEN. If you need recalling about why these two people are going to do this is as follows:

Sara Renner had one of her ski poles broken during one of her events (with Beckie Scott) at Torino 2006. With no hesitation, the Norwegian coach gave Renner one of his poles as the result, sacrificing his own team's chances of getting an Olympic medal in the same event. Canada got the silver medal in the end. One of the gifts the coach got for his unselfish deed from Canada was some Canadian maple syrup a few weeks after the Olympics. Now, he will join Renner in opening the parade and the Stampede itself.

Well, well, well. Taking a member's idea from a post in another topic, I decided to try to find any Calgary 1988 info within that website. What surprised me was that, using the proper search words, someone had actually got the Calgary 1988 PROMOTIONAL TAPE and uploaded the entire program in there.

To sum it up, this 12 min. & 13 sec. program was used as part of a small exhibition called the "Calgary Olympic Centre", which was in the Calgary Tower complex's second floor then in around 1987. I had to pinch my cheek to be sure that I wasn't dreaming. I thought that, once the Games started and finished, the tape would be gone forever. I didn't not expect it to be in this website, after all these years. In fact, the person responsible for uploading it here did it just last Thursday.

So, if those of you wanting to see what the film was all about, then come to these links below (in order):

Calgary '88: Soon The Glory Begins (Part 1 of 2)

Calgary '88: Soon The Glory Begins (Part 2 of 2)

Oh, well. I knew that it would get taken down in the end because showing this film like this could bring in copyright problems to the one who put it in there in the first place.

Say, LA84, I guess you were looking for this topic. :)

Does anyone have a copy of the logo from the Calgary 1988 Torch Relay?

petro_torch_logo.gif

talking about Calgary 1988 I can't forget the Albeerto Tomba's exploit..

those were great times for the italian alpine skiing.. hoping we back to the top in Vancouver.

petro_torch_logo.gif

Good to see you back Guardian.

Good to see you back Guardian.

Thanks. I did visit here from time to time, but I had other matters to deal with in the interim. By the way, ryan04, this logo is currently used as one for the Petro-Canada legacy scholarship fund that helps Canadian athletes prepare mainly for upcoming Olympic Games. And, yes, it was used as the logo of the Calgary 1988 Olympic Torch Relay, too. Just like the way the official Olympic logo of Calgary 1988 is used as the CODA trademark now.

Oh, well, even though it doesn't mention Calgary directly and it is the eastern terminal to this specialized train service, I have to say that I congratulate the Rocky Mountaineer train service for winning an award for the category of "World Leading Travel Experience By Train" in the 2006 World Travel Awards.

Link: The 2006 World Travel Awards

(Note: the other world travel award won by Canada was for the category of "World Leading Luxury Train." It was won by Royal Canadian Pacific.

It is not a surprise that Cindy Klassen is wanting to take a break from all that speed skating from last season. This is especially true, when you are the most decorated Canadian Olympian in history. Just hope that she will do well and does prepare herself for Vancouver 2010, if she does choose to do so:

Link: CBC: Klassen Taking Break From Skating

Calgary starts this new FIBT World Cup season by hosting the men's and women's skeleton events. Final results:

Women:

1. Katie Uhlaender (USA) -> 1:57.19

2. Maya Pedersen (Switzerland) -> 1:57.98

3. Noelle Pikus-Pace (USA) -> 1:58.09

* Michelle Kelly of Canada was second overall, but was disqualified for equipment violations.

Men:

1. Jeff Pain (CANADA) -> 1:53.31

2. Alexander Tretiakov (Russia) -> 1:53.57

3. Jon Montgomery (CANADA) -> 1:53.79

Links:

1. CBC: Kelly Disqualified In World Cup Skeleton

2. CBC: Canada's Pain Wins Skeleton Gold

After those skeleton events, it was the turn of the bobsleigh teams to go on the Calgary track. Final results:

2-Man Bobsleigh:

1. Andre Lange & Kevin Kuske (Germany 1) -> 1:50.82

2. Steven Holcomb & Brock Kreitzburg (USA 1) -> 1:51.38

3. (tie) Pierre Lueders & Lascelles Brown (CANADA 1) -> 1:51.57

3. (tie) Ivo Rueegg & Cedric Grand (Switzerland 2) -> 1:51.57

Women's Bobsleigh:

1. Shauna Rohbock & Valerie Fleming (USA 1) -> 1:54.26

2. Cathleen Martini & Janine Tischer (Germany 2) -> 1:54.95

3. Sandra Kiriasis & Romy Logsch (Germany 1) -> 1:54.98

4-Man Bobsleigh:

1. Andre Lange, Alexander Roediger, Kevin Kuske & Martin Putze (Germany 1) -> 1:47.92

2. Evgeni Popov, Roman Orechnikov, Dmitry Trunenkov & Dmitry Stepushkin (Russia 2) -> 1:48.02

3. Pierre Lueders, Ken Kotyk, David Bissett & Lascelles Brown (CANADA 1) -> 1:48.37

Links:

1. CBC: Lueders Ties For 3rd In Calgary

2. CBC: Lueders Lands Another Bronze

Sara Renner had one of her ski poles broken during one of her events (with Beckie Scott) at Torino 2006. With no hesitation, the Norwegian coach gave Renner one of his poles as the result, sacrificing his own team's chances of getting an Olympic medal in the same event. Canada got the silver medal in the end. One of the gifts the coach got for his unselfish deed from Canada was some Canadian maple syrup a few weeks after the Olympics. Now, he will join Renner in opening the parade and the Stampede itself.

Now, Sara Renner, along with her husband Thomas Grandi, have started joining with Canadian-famed environmentalist David Suzuki to bring the issue of climate change to the forefront. This time, it is on the angle of how winter athletes are having to cope with training and competing in places where snow and ice are starting to disappear or getting too expensive to maintain. Some winter athletes who live in Calgary as their training center or their temporary home are reported to have joined them to make themselves more vigilant in their lifestyles and make changes for a better environment.

Link: CBC: Olympic Skiers Grandi And Renner Partner With David Suzuki To Save The Snow

First, as part of Canada's preparation for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, Calgary's Canada Olympic Park has opened the largest snowboard half-pipe ever created in the world. And, yes, this kind of half-pipe is a testing one to an eventual like venue being built for Vancouver 2010. Also, a machine called the Zaugg pipe grinder has been introduced to make a half-pipe venue clean for the first time in the world, too. It can be compared to a Zamboni for ice arenas.

Link: Calgary CTV: C.O.P. Unveils New Training Tools

Meanwhile, when the news about the half-pipe was being made, Canada Olympic Park hosted the third of nine Viessmann FIL World Cup event in luge. Here are the results:

Men's Singles:

1. David Moeller (Germany) -> 1:29.355

2. Martins Rubenis (Latvia) -> 1:29.533

3. Stefan Hoehener (Switzerland) -> 1:29.663

Ladies:

1. Tatjana Huefner (Germany) -> 1:33.649

2. Silke Kraushaar-Pielach (Germany) -> 1:33.932

3. Anke Wischnewski (Germany) -> 1:34.065

Men's Doubles:

1. Leitner/Resch (Germany) -> 1:27.315

2. Oberstolz/Gruber (Italy) -> 1:27.763

3. Schiegl & Schiegl (Austria) -> 1:27.885

CBC sports links:

1. Lauscher Sets Canadian Mark In Luge

2. Germany's Moeller Takes Calgary Luge Event

It is not a surprise that Cindy Klassen is wanting to take a break from all that speed skating from last season. This is especially true, when you are the most decorated Canadian Olympian in history. Just hope that she will do well and does prepare herself for Vancouver 2010, if she does choose to do so:

Link: CBC: Klassen Taking Break From Skating

She may be in hiatus for now, but she was named the winner of the Lou Marsh award. The Lou Marsh award is one that is given by a panel of Canadian sports editors and broadcasters and the Toronto Star newspaper for the most outstanding Canadian athlete of the year.

Link: CBC: Klassen Wins Lou Marsh Award

However, it seems not everyone is happy with it. In fact, there seems to be some dissent that "an amateur athlete should NOT get such an award." This is the case of some supporters that have been saying that STEVE NASH, of the NBA's Phoenix Suns, should have beaten Klassen for the honor because he became a two-time-in-row NBA's MVP Player of the Year Award. What do you guys think?

Link: CBC Sports Argument Page: Cindy Klassen vs. Steve Nash

Sheesh. News from my area, when it comes to winter sports and related ones, seems to be coming out so quickly one after another. This one, however, is a bit quirky for me. IOC member Beckie Scott, Sara Renner and others wants to break a Guinness world record?

Link: CBC: Scott, Renner Ski For Guinness Record

Volunteer applications are now being accepted for the TWO 2007 World Cup races in Cross-Country Skiing that will be held at the Canmore Nordic Center and at the Canada Olympic Park in Calgary itself. They will be the only World Cup events of its kind in North America for the 2007-2008 season. If you have what it takes, especially those who aspire to be a volunteer for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games of some capacity, then come click on the link below for information and instructions on how to become such a volunteer:

Link: Alberta Cross Country World Cup 2007 Website

talking about Calgary 1988 I can't forget the Albeerto Tomba's exploit..

those were great times for the italian alpine skiing.. hoping we back to the top in Vancouver.

Rei, it is great that you mentioned about him here. Yesterday, Alberto 'La Bomba' Tomba celebrated his 40th birthday. In fact, the IOC has made an article about him.

Link: IOC: Alberto Tomba Or The Art Of The Zigzag

By the way, I didn't know he wanted to try his hand as an actor and has launched his own perfume called Indescente with Lancaster. B)