Calgary 1988

Guardian

You got it right on, people! Since I am the only one, I think, from the Calgary area in these forums, I'm glad that Calgary is "well-known" after the 1988 Winter Olympics was completed.

As such, Vancouver wants to do as better or exceed Calgary in this manner.

I was in Calgary earlier this month, and I noticed they still have signs on the outskirts of the city with "CALGARY - HOST CITY 1988 WINTER OLYMPICS" with a small image of the mascots.

They should keep them up though.

Yeah. I heard that Vancouver's City Hall is going to add "XXI Olympic Winter Games 2010 Host City" signs with the 10 existing "Vancouver Welcomes You" signs in the cities major entrance roads.

Those entrance signs to Calgary will stick around for a while longer.

As for Vancouver, I bet that the city hall there can't wait for an Olympic flag to be hung inside to remind officials there on what is coming to the city in 2010.

There were 2010 flags and Olympic flags during the IOC Evaulation visit in March outside City Hall, and around July 2.

Most of the 2010 lampost banners in Vancouver were taken off in August.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Oslo flag will come to City Hall in late February of 2006 after the handover in Torino.

Can't wait for the closing ceremony of Torino 2006. At least, Vancouver's presentation will be much "better" than what Calgary had for its presentation at Sarajevo 1984, I think. It will be a joyous occasion for Canadians.

The Oslo flag will come to City Hall in late February of 2006 after the handover in Torino.

Can't wait for the closing ceremony of Torino 2006. At least, Vancouver's presentation will be much "better" than what Calgary had for its presentation at Sarajevo 1984, I think. It will be a joyous occasion for Canadians.

Same, I also can't wait! :D

According to the Vancouver 2010 Bid Book, the budget for the 2006 Torino Closing Ceremony segment, Olympiad Festivals (2006-2010), Education and Youth Programs and Youth Camp, and Cultural Programs Administration is $18.2 million US. ($24 million CDN)

The budget allocated for the 15,000 km/114 day cross country and arctic/North Pole Olympic Flame Relay and Olympic Medal Ceremonies is $17.7 million US. ($23.2 million CDN)

The budget allocated for the Olympic Opening and Closing Ceremonies is $18.7 million U.S. ($25 million CDN) 3

As you can see, with so much being invested in the Torino 2006 Closing Ceremony segment as well as the Opening/Closing ceremonies, Vancouver would put on one of the best shows in Olympic history! :D

Makes me wonder if Calgary will try again to host the Winter Olympics in the future...

Probably....since Calgary tried to bid for 2010.

It could be a long while before that happens. We still don't know really if and when Quebec City may want a shot at hosting the Winter Olympics or Toronto's saga on bidding for the Summer Olympics again.

Besides, it will be interesting on how Vancouver and Calgary will cooperate to make the facilities and venues to be used orderly, once the 2010 Winter Olympics is concluded.

Makes me wonder if Calgary will try again to host the Winter Olympics in the future...

Probably....since Calgary tried to bid for 2010.

It could be a long while before that happens. We still don't know really if and when Quebec City may want a shot at hosting the Winter Olympics or Toronto's saga on bidding for the Summer Olympics again.

Besides, it will be interesting on how Vancouver and Calgary will cooperate to make the facilities and venues to be used orderly, once the 2010 Winter Olympics is concluded.

Ditch the Calgary facilities. I don't think there's any point in keeping these old and needing expensive repairs facilities, and there's no point in renovating them with Vancouver 2010 practically right beside it.

Well, if Vancouver's facilities can bring the World Cup events in cross-country skiing or ski jumping, as examples, then it will be all right to me. Calgary wasn't able to get into these events too much since 1988. Besides, Calgary's venues won't be ditched that easily. Some of the IFs like Calgary's facilities at this time and there are renovations that could be done over time.

Why ditch them when they are still perfectly usable and well maintained?  There are plenty of skyscrapers dotting the skylines of cities around the world that are both older and in more dire need of repair than Calgary's primary Olympic facilities and you don't see them being imploded.

Ditch the Calgary facilities. I don't think there's any point in keeping these old and needing expensive repairs facilities, and there's no point in renovating them with Vancouver 2010 practically right beside it.

Change the words around - "Ditch the Vancouver bid. I don't think there's any point in creating new and expensive facilities, and there's no point in Vancouver building them with Calgary practically right beside it." - and it sounds like the Calgary 2010 bid argument AGAINST Vancouver 2010.

Change the words around - "Ditch the Vancouver bid. I don't think there's any point in creating new and expensive facilities, and there's no point in Vancouver building them with Calgary practically right beside it." - and it sounds like the Calgary 2010 bid argument AGAINST Vancouver 2010.

I'm discussing this right now as that Vancouver has won 2010, there's no point in going back to the Calgary facilities vs. Vancouver 2010 discussion when BC has won 2010. It's the new vs the not so new....maybe Calgary could make minimal upgrades and renovations to it's facilities, but not like the drastic ones they had in plan. Calgary's facilities could still be used. $100 million to improve its facilities is quite a lot.

I'm discussing this right now as that Vancouver has won 2010, there's no point in going back to the Calgary facilities vs. Vancouver 2010 discussion when BC has won 2010. It's the new vs the not so new....maybe Calgary could make minimal upgrades and renovations to it's facilities, but not like the drastic ones they had in plan. Calgary's facilities could still be used. $100 million to improve its facilities is quite a lot.

Try about $250 million for Canada Olympic Park alone.

Try about $250 million for Canada Olympic Park alone.

Oh, and it gets worse. What is the actual cost to improve all the Calgary '88 facilities?

The true cost is unknown at this time. I don't think the Canmore Nordic Centre, Nakiska, the Saddledome, and others used during the 1988 Winter Olympics need repairs as such. I think it will concentrate on upgrading the oval and COP only.

The only Calgary '88 facilities I think is worth making full repairs and upgrades would be the Olympic Oval and ski jump.

True.

However, if Vancouver can make the ski-jump venue "acceptable" to the FIS for post-Olympic World Cup events, then I'll be happy. Canada, at least, should host a World Cup event in this sport.

The only Calgary '88 facilities I think is worth making full repairs and upgrades would be the Olympic Oval and ski jump.

True.

However, if Vancouver can make the ski-jump venue "acceptable" to the FIS for post-Olympic World Cup events, then I'll be happy. Canada, at least, should host a World Cup event in this sport.

Probably. A permanent 12,000 seat ski jump stadium with 2 ski jumps with FIS standards will be built at the new US$102 million Whistler Nordic Centre.

Probably. A permanent 12,000 seat ski jump stadium with 2 ski jumps with FIS standards will be built at the new US$102 million Whistler Nordic Centre.

If this is the case, then Canada could also try to wrest, from the FIS, a World Cup slot in the nordic combined event. Calgary has been "unable" to get this honor from them, since 1988.

With that, then a ski-jumping World Cup event would be a non-issue in a way because nordic combined is a dual event of ski-jumping and cross-country skiing.

What other facilities are there?  The Saddledome is privately owned/managed.

There's the Nakiska ski resort in Kananaskis Country. Also, there is the Canmore Nordic Center at nearby town of Canmore (besides Banff National Park). I don't really know who owns them at this time, but CODA does have a role in both of them.

Of course, the Canada Olympic Park complex, which houses the ski-jumps, the bobsleigh/luge/skeleton track, and the freestyle skiing and snowboarding areas.

Then, obviously, the Olympic Oval at the University of Calgary and the Saddledome.

There is one other one, but it is not worth mentioning here because of its importance.

Archived