Calgary 1988

Guardian

Last week I saw in German Television a travel programme about Calgary, which was very interesting. The City-center, the Olympic Park and the surroundings of Calgary were shown. While I was watching the programme, I started to remember the Games of 1988. My favourites was the two Carmens and the two Brians on Ice.  :)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really?... I never knew that my city would be that popular. Of course, there is a direct flight from Calgary to Frankfurt, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, the Calgary OWG was the first one to have the 16 days of competition. Some of the demonstration sports in those Games that became Olympic-status sports were short-track speed skating, freestyle skiing, and curling.

Really?... I never knew that my city would be that popular. Of course, there is a direct flight from Calgary to Frankfurt, if I'm not mistaken.

The presenter visited a ranch or a farm (I don´t know, if there is a difference) outside of Calgary, where he "snuffled" a little bit of "Wild West-Flair" and he rode through the beautiful nature, which surrounds Calgary.

He visited the Olympic Park, where he took a ride in the bobsleigh-run - I don´t know, if everybody could do that, or if it was possible, because he was a TV-presenter, only. Then he was in the saddledome during an ice-hockey-game.

Then he showed the city-center with it´s skyscrapers and told, that some skyscrapers were connected by a "roofed bridges system", so the people are able to go shopping in an "air-conditioned athmosphere".

Yes, there is a non-stop flight from Frankfurt to Calgary!

I liked the programme!

I agree the Winter Olympics started to become larger in Calgary 1988.

cal_1988_hidhow_B.gif

The "roof-bridges system" is called the PLUS-15 system. It is a way of going from one downtown building to another without having to go outside. The "15" is the height (in feet) from the ground. Here's a link to describe it in some detail:

Calgary's Plus-15 System

As for a bobsleigh ride for the general public, there is such a specialized bobsled that does just that. It's called the "Bobsleigh Bullet":

Wild Slide Rides (for the General Public)

Oh, by the way, this is the fifteenth anniversary since Calgary hosted the Winter Olympics of 1988. Can't believe that this much time has gone since Canada's first Winter Olympics was hosted.

I have a bunch of things to add so i'll just jump right to it :)

Weren't moguls demo'ed at Calgary? i remember seeing in my olympic book that the sport was to begin in 1992.

Wasn't Calgary the last time the USSR competed in a OG? It certainly marked the end of an era.

I think I remember reading that Edmonton has one of the largest malls in NA. Its on skyscrapers.com i think.

Also Canada didnt win a gold on their soil again, a repeat from 1976! The only country in OG history i think!

Yep. Calgary was a memorable games

:)

krow, moguls was demonstrated in Calgary for the Winter Olympics as part of the "trio" of freestyle skiing events. The others were the aerials and "ski ballet."

Next, the 1988 Olympics (both in Calgary for winter; Seoul in summer) was the last time both East Germany and the Soviet Union competed as such national Olympic teams.

Yes, Edmonton has the West Edmonton Mall. It is considered the world's largest mall. The Mall of America is, I think in Minnesota, the second largest mall in the world. Here is the official link to WEM:

West Edmonton Mall Official Site

And, Canada is NOT the only nation in the modern Olympic history that hasn't won OFFICIALLY a gold medal in an Olympics on home soil. Sarajevo, for the 1984 Winter Olympics, had the home team that won only 1 silver medal for the old Yugoslavia.

krow, moguls was demonstrated in Calgary for the Winter Olympics as part of the "trio" of freestyle skiing events. The others were the aerials and "ski ballet."

Next, the 1988 Olympics (both in Calgary for winter; Seoul in summer) was the last time both East Germany and the Soviet Union competed as such national Olympic teams.

Yes, Edmonton has the West Edmonton Mall. It is considered the world's largest mall. The Mall of America is, I think in Minnesota, the second largest mall in the world. Here is the official link to WEM:

West Edmonton Mall Official Site

And, Canada is NOT the only nation in the modern Olympic history that hasn't won OFFICIALLY a gold medal in an Olympics on home soil. Sarajevo, for the 1984 Winter Olympics, had the home team that won only 1 silver medal for the old Yugoslavia.

Dear Guardian,

I have a question, which is a little bit heretical, and I hope you will not be angry, but was the West Edmonton Mall a reason, why Calgary has built the Plus-15 system?

:)  :)  :)

No, I'm not angry about your question at all. And, no, West Edmonton Mall was not the reason Calgary build the +15 system.

Calgary and Edmonton have this "friendly rivalry" of sorts since Calgary was denied pf becoming the provincial capital of then new province of Alberta in 1905. That was given to Edmonton. Also, the new University of Alberta then was slated for the town of Strathcona, in which it got absorbed later as part of the city of Edmonton.

In fact, having the capital of Edmonton situated in about the geographical center of the province was an ingenuous move, since all of the provincial capital up to that point was always in the south of whatever province it was then.

Of course, there are many things that either city has that the other wants. Example 1: Edmonton got its LRT first before Calgary started its own system. Now, Edmonton wants to expand its LRT to compete against Calgary's now new expansion.

Example 2: Since Calgary had the Olympics, why shouldn't Edmonton bid for a Summer Olympics? However, the bid for the 2008 Olympics got shot down for good due to negative impacts possibly coming out from that venture. But, Edmonton has been working on a plan to host as many world championships and international events as possible. Casing point: Edmonton is hosting the 2005 World Masters Games as an example in its international sporting resume.

No, I'm not angry about your question at all. And, no, West Edmonton Mall was not the reason Calgary build the +15 system.

Calgary and Edmonton have this "friendly rivalry" of sorts since Calgary was denied pf becoming the provincial capital of then new province of Alberta in 1905. That was given to Edmonton. Also, the new University of Alberta then was slated for the town of Strathcona, in which it got absorbed later as part of the city of Edmonton.

In fact, having the capital of Edmonton situated in about the geographical center of the province was an ingenuous move, since all of the provincial capital up to that point was always in the south of whatever province it was then.

Of course, there are many things that either city has that the other wants. Example 1: Edmonton got its LRT first before Calgary started its own system. Now, Edmonton wants to expand its LRT to compete against Calgary's now new expansion.

Example 2: Since Calgary had the Olympics, why shouldn't Edmonton bid for a Summer Olympics? However, the bid for the 2008 Olympics got shot down for good due to negative impacts possibly coming out from that venture. But, Edmonton has been working on a plan to host as many world championships and international events as possible. Casing point: Edmonton is hosting the 2005 World Masters Games as an example in its international sporting resume.

I´m glad you haven´t been angry!

After your answer I have a further question.

1. What means the abbrevation LRT?

Then I would like to add, that I can´t imagine Summer Olympics in Edmonton after the Athletic World Championships, which were well organised, but very lack of audience!

C.A.F., LRT stands for "Light Rail Transit." It's something between a trolleycar and a subway for "small" cities. In fact, Calgary and Edmonton gets its LRT cars for their rail-line systems from Dusseldorf, Germany. Forgive me if I got the spelling of the German city wrong.

As for Edmonton wanting to host the Summer Olympics, that will be the day. Just a thought between you and me: when the plan to get the Summer Olympics was hatched 4 years ago, Calgary was to host half of all the events in the Olympic program. Now, come on!!! That's insane. Might as well give Calgary the Summer Olympics altogether. Crazy, huh?

C.A.F., LRT stands for "Light Rail Transit." It's something between a trolleycar and a subway for "small" cities. In fact, Calgary and Edmonton gets its LRT cars for their rail-line systems from Dusseldorf, Germany. Forgive me if I got the spelling of the German city wrong.

As for Edmonton wanting to host the Summer Olympics, that will be the day. Just a thought between you and me: when the plan to get the Summer Olympics was hatched 4 years ago, Calgary was to host half of all the events in the Olympic program. Now, come on!!! That's insane. Might as well give Calgary the Summer Olympics altogether. Crazy, huh?

Guardian,

it would be better to write Düsseldorf with ü or Duesseldorf with ue, because in German is "Dussel" a synonym for a stupid person.

The name of the city is a connection between "Düssel" (a small river, which runs into the Rhine and "Dorf", wich means village or cottage.

:;):

I´m glad to hear that Edmonton has a public transportation system - I love to take metros, trams etc etc.

Thanks for the correction, C.A.F. I still have to learn on my computer about putting characters like that on the screen.

Anyway, Edmonton needs badly to expand its LRT system to other parts of the city. Just one line won't cut it in a metropolitan area of about 1 million people.

As for Calgary and the 1988 Olympic Winter Games, having the athletes seat in the stands for the opening ceremony was the first  time that took shape in the Winter Olympics.

I was 12 years old when the Olympics came to Calgary. I had left Calgary for Vancouver when I was 5 and I thought, "If only my family stayed in Calgary then I would have been able to attend the Olympics opening ceremonies".

As I grew Up, I saw the stature of Calgary grow to become one of the biggest commerce centers in Canada while at the same time, I saw Vancouver decline to become a home to left leaning environmental terrorists and union bullies.

Calgary, with what you did as a result of the Olympics, you deserve every reward you get as you continue to grow and progress. With the olympics coming to Vancouver (hopefully!) maybe we can do what you did. Let's hope so!

Thanks for the correction, C.A.F. I still have to learn on my computer about putting characters like that on the screen.

"Dussel" is not so dire - it is more affectionately meant!

:;):

Anyway, Edmonton needs badly to expand its LRT system to other parts of the city. Just one line won't cut it in a metropolitan area of about 1 million people.
The LRT must be very overcrowded! Are other lines in planning?
As for Calgary and the 1988 Olympic Winter Games, having the athletes seat in the stands for the opening ceremony was the first  time that took shape in the Winter Olympics.

Yes I remember that, one tribune was "booked" for the athletes. I think it is good, that the athletes can folllow the ceremonies in the stadium.

Yes, C.A.F. Edmonton is extending that one line further south to meet the demand of the citizens there. Also, there's discussion about having a new line to meet the people who live and work at West Edmonton Mall. But, that route has been talked about for years since WEM was built some 20+ years ago. BTW, look at this site:

The Edmonton South LRT Extension Site

Continuing on Calgary, I do remember that "Battle of the Brians" men's figure skating event, along with the "Battle of the Carmens". Speaking of long-track speed skating, how about Yvonne Van Gennip of the Netherlands winning 3 gold medals? Sure knocked the East German team in disarray there.

Yeah, Katarina Witt was the first double-gold medallist in women's figure skating since the 1920's. Well, she did well in the closing ceremony of the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics.

If you mean how Debbie died on the ice, it was nerves. She couldn't concentrate on the task at hand because, I think, she was the last skater on the free-skate part of the event. I bet she didn't want to skate last at all.

Yeah, Katarina Witt was the first double-gold medallist in women's figure skating since the 1920's. Well, she did well in the closing ceremony of the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics.

If you mean how Debbie died on the ice, it was nerves. She couldn't concentrate on the task at hand because, I think, she was the last skater on the free-skate part of the event. I bet she didn't want to skate last at all.

You are right with the comments about Debbie - she was really unconcentrated!

My previous post was very mistakable - I meant the interpretation of Carmen´s death by Katarina Witt. It was so breathtaking, how she griped her stomach - turned around - and slowly lay down on the ice to the last of the three ticks.

Yeah, that, too, C.A.F.

In fact, after the Calgary Olympic Winter Games, some of those skaters (both men and women) who competed in Calgary starred themselves in a "skating movie" version of Carmen. And guess who was Carmen? No other than Katarina Witt herself!! The two Brians also starred in that movie, too.

Archived