Calgary 1988

Guardian

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems, according to the Calgary Herald, that the COP will get $250 million to upgrade itself for the next 15 to 20 years.

this only worsens the Vancouver 2010 and Calgary 1988 venue struggle. the venues are just gonna compete over each other.

in Calgary, just keep the oval and the luge track.

I don't know what the sources for this "project" is coming from, but with Calgary being one of the four cities for the Australian-model "centers of sporting excellence", I wouldn't be surprised if this idea got mentioned at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems, according to the Calgary Herald, that the COP will get $250 million to upgrade itself for the next 15 to 20 years.

this only worsens the Vancouver 2010 and Calgary 1988 venue struggle. the venues are just gonna compete over each other.

in Calgary, just keep the oval and the luge track.

Okay. Here's the rumor you Vancouver supporters was waiting for. Do you remember the November 22nd. GamesBids article about Stantec going to build the venues for Vancouver 2010? Well, it seems that it will do the same to majorily renovate Canada Olympic Park. On top of that, according to an artist's rendition of it, it could put some of Vancouver 2010's lasting legacies to shame already and it is called "Canada Olympic Park 2010." (Notice the year??) It surely won't be done by that year, but it could really put a dent on how Vancouver will use its Olympic facilities after 2010.

According to one of the volunteers I talked to today, it is "very close" to being approved. I couldn't talk to one of the head guys of CODA because of time, but it does look serious enough to me. In fact, renovations to its Olympic museum has already taken place. Guess you guys need to stay tuned for more information as it comes and when I get the chances to find out more.

NOTE: About the ski jumps? It will most likely stay, contrary to those who think it will go.

On top of that, according to an artist's rendition of it, it could put some of Vancouver 2010's lasting legacies to shame already and it is called "Canada Olympic Park 2010."

I think it's a great idea to keep those facilities going. A number of our best athletes have come from those Calgary facilities and will continue to do so right up to 2010 and beyond.  With this development, they'd be crazy to shut down the Calgary ski jump. I think that VANOC knows this and they've adjusted their plans accordingly in order to keep costs down.

Sport isn't about which province gets what. It's about developing our athletes so that we can get the best results from the games. Once the games are over, our athletes will have a choice to go to either to the Calgary or Whistler facilities. If anything, the two different facilities will bring more contenders to future games.

Let's hope that we can generate enough athletes to fully utilize the two!

Good show Calgary!

On top of that, according to an artist's rendition of it, it could put some of Vancouver 2010's lasting legacies to shame already and it is called "Canada Olympic Park 2010."

I think it's a great idea to keep those facilities going. A number of our best athletes have come from those Calgary facilities and will continue to do so right up to 2010 and beyond.  With this development, they'd be crazy to shut down the Calgary ski jump. I think that VANOC knows this and they've adjusted their plans accordingly in order to keep costs down.

Sport isn't about which province gets what. It's about developing our athletes so that we can get the best results from the games. Once the games are over, our athletes will have a choice to go to either to the Calgary or Whistler facilities. If anything, the two different facilities will bring more contenders to future games.

Let's hope that we can generate enough athletes to fully utilize the two!

Good show Calgary!

Oh, yeah. The entrance to the complex will change to a more "safe" overpass-underpass intersection. It will have more to offer, from condo-like accomodation for athletes to more venues and another "Olympic Plaza" site. Also, it is supposed to house office and retail space with a large green space that may be put it in the "needs protection" status.

• 2 weeks later...

Final results for the 2005 FIBT World Combined Championships (bobsleigh and skeleton):

4-Man Bobsleigh

1. Germany 1: Andre Lange, Rene Hoppe, Kevin Kuske, Martin Putze

2. Russia 1: Alexandr Zoubkov, Sergei Golubev, Alexej Seliverstov, Dmitry Stepushkin

3. Canada 1: Pierre Lueders, Ken Kotyk, Morgan Alexander, Lascelles Brown

2-Man Bobsleigh

1. Canada 1: Pierre Lueders and Lascelles Brown

2. Germany 1: Andre Lange and Kevin Kuske

3. Switzerland 1: Martin Annen and Beat Hefti

2-Women Bobsleigh

1. Germany 1: Sandra Kiriasis and Anja Schneiderheinze

2. Great Britain 1: Nicola Minichiello and Jackie Davies

3. USA 2: Shauna Rohbock and Valerie Fleming

Men's Skeleton

1. Jeff Pain (Canada)

2. Gregor Staehli (Switzerland)

3. Duff Gibson (Canada)

Women's Skeleton

1. Maya Pedersen (Switzerland)

2. Noelle Pikus-Pace (USA)

3. Michelle Kelly (Canada)

I don't know where this is going, but if the idea of Calgary bidding for the 2011 (or later) Winter Universiade happens, it would surely use some or most of the existent facilities from these Games.

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday, the Calgary city aldermen will debate on if the COP mega-project will go ahead or not. It is supposed to be a hot topic because of those who want the issue to be passed, like the folks of CODA, and those who oppose it, like the residents of nearby communities.

On Monday, the Calgary city aldermen will debate on if the COP mega-project will go ahead or not. It is supposed to be a hot topic because of those who want the issue to be passed, like the folks of CODA, and those who oppose it, like the residents of nearby communities.

Just as I suspected. I knew it won't be approved easily. The residents of a nearby community was "not informed" about the COP expansion and the like. Guess there was miscommunication here and there. The decision will be posponed until early May. Until then, there will have to be discussions on improving the needs of CODA and nearby residents on what each side wants.

• 2 weeks later...
Guardian,

it would be better to write Düsseldorf with ü or Duesseldorf with ue, because in German is "Dussel" a synonym for a stupid person.

The name of the city is a connection between "Düssel" (a small river, which runs into the Rhine and "Dorf", wich means village or cottage.

Hey, CAF, remember this post?

Well, it seems that the airline flights between the two cities, with LTU, is continuing on. As well, Air Canada still has its direct flights between Calgary and Frankfurt.

However, now that's out of my chest, this piece of news shouldn't be a surprise, but I had to put it here. The next time you come to Calgary by plane internationally or even from across provinces within Canada, don't be surprised if your airline ticket has the city of Calgary AND the town of Banff written on it. I saw the article about this in the latest Calgary Sun.

• 4 weeks later...
According to the Calgary Herald today, the Saddledome will be the last venue for the Queen's overall tour of Alberta and the latest one of Canada. The celebrations will take place on May 25th. Before that, in an obvious sense, a Museum of the Regiments tour with walkabouts with the public.

I know I'm late to the party, but...

The Calgary Olympics were the first I really paid attention to; I was 8 at the time. Ever since, I've had a very special interest in the Olympic games, particularly the winter games.

I would be thrilled to see Calgary host again at some point in the future. The city would be only more prepared for a second go-around, I'm sure.

-Tim

I know I'm late to the party, but...

The Calgary Olympics were the first I really paid attention to; I was 8 at the time. Ever since, I've had a very special interest in the Olympic games, particularly the winter games.

I would be thrilled to see Calgary host again at some point in the future. The city would be only more prepared for a second go-around, I'm sure.

-Tim

It's possible. However, it is only a wait-and-see approach at this time.

Well I'd honestly want to see a different city get the games over any city that has held them already, no matter what the situation - but if we had to do a repeat, Calgary would be a good one to follow, because it was such a success.

-Tim

I wouldn't be surprised, if Calgary doesn't get the Winter Olympics again. However, it is still a possibility that it could return again in my lifetime.

This piece of news, from the CTV, could get interesting for Calgary and Edmonton, considering it has been debated on and off for years:

Edmonton-Calgary Hi-Speed Rail Feasible: Study

Oh, by the way, it could cost as much as Cdn$3.4 billion:

High-Speed Rail Link May Cost $3.4 Billion: Study

i would love to see that get built.

When it does finally get started to be built, then I'll believe it.

Yesterday, the Calgary Sun reported that it MAY be a go, despite that a feasibility study on the matter isn't out yet. I don't know how it would report it like that. Having Alberta "debt-free" doesn't mean that it can afford the cost of building one.

The city has pretty much decided to re-name one of the downtown streets "Volunteer Way", in honor of those who volunteered in the city in various ways over the years. And, yes, that includes those from the 1988 Winter Olympics.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the long-term planning for the Canada Olympic Park complex: the decision(s) have been postponed for a time being. With the city about to experience the biggest amount of construction of infrastructure projects ever since the mega-boom of the late 1970s, it will be interesting on how this particular project will be viewed, as time passes.

Last Thursday, Skate Canada had a press conference in the Olympic Museum part of COP about the upcoming 2006 World Figure Skating Championships. It will be a challenge to get the fans and athletes interested in the event because it will be hosted one month after Torino 2006. Also, in this same year, Calgary will host the 2006 World All-Round Speed Skating Championships at the Olympic Oval. This happened before last year in Moscow: it hosted both events in this manner.

According to the Calgary Herald today, the Saddledome will be the last venue for the Queen's overall tour of Alberta and the latest one of Canada. The celebrations will take place on May 25th. Before that, in an obvious sense, a Museum of the Regiments tour with walkabouts with the public.

Later this afternoon, the Queen and Prince Philip will arrive at the Saddledome to witness the final celebrations of her tour, before returning to the UK directly from the Calgary International Airport. It is reported that there will be a "full house".

• 3 weeks later...
Update on the long-term planning for the Canada Olympic Park complex: the decision(s) have been postponed for a time being. With the city about to experience the biggest amount of construction of infrastructure projects ever since the mega-boom of the late 1970s, it will be interesting on how this particular project will be viewed, as time passes.

According to the Calgary Herald, the COP expansion may get the nod in the fall. However, the current construction boom in and around Calgary is in full swing. Therefore, there will be more meetings on how the COP and Spruce Meadows situations can be met in many compromises.

If you guys don't know about Spruce Meadows, it is a FEI-sanctioned venue for horse show-jumping. It was asked to bid for the FEI's World Equestrian Games for 2010, but with Calgary current scenario, it was practically impossible to do so. However, it could bid for 2014 here.

• 2 months later...

HAPPY 100th. BIRTHDAY, ALBERTA & SASKATCHEWAN!

The Olympic Plaza in the city will be abuzz with activity to celebrate the centennary of the province of Alberta today. Also, the cauldron on top of Calgary Tower will be lit for 100 minutes in honor of this day.

• 1 month later...
The Alberta government, with all those riches from oil and natural gas royalties alone, will give CODA $600,000 to keep the ski-jumping venue at the COP complex to keep on operating for a few years. Most likely until the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. Of course, I still haven't got word about the decision about dealing with the COP itself.

Archived