Calgary 1988

Guardian

Now that it is 4 weeks exactly from the start of the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, it seems that the Olympic Museum and Hall of Fame in Canada Olympic Park has been given permission to set up a giant screen to showcase the Games from Greece to visitors AS IT HAPPENS! At least, that's the word I received when I visited there 2 days ago.  :idea:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Starting today and until Sunday, Canada Olympic Park is hosting the last UCI World Cup event in mountain biking before the Athens Olympic Games.

For what I heard and told, the UCI World Cup in mountain biking, in Calgary for the first time, was average overall in popularity. It could have been better of sorts, if the wet conditions didn't show up for the events.

Starting today and until Sunday, Canada Olympic Park is hosting the last UCI World Cup event in mountain biking before the Athens Olympic Games.

For what I heard and told, the UCI World Cup in mountain biking, in Calgary for the first time, was average overall in popularity. It could have been better of sorts, if the wet conditions didn't show up for the events.

HA! He got what he deserves. Can't believe he competed in both Canadian World Cups after he was caught using EPO. As of now, he has retired and will not compete in Athens 2004. Wonder if he will lose the silver medal he won in Sydney 2000?

Meirhaeghe Admits EPO Use

As of now, visitors and native Calgarians can sign their name, with some good luck messages, on a Canadian flag that will be going to Athens 2004 with the athletes at COP.

• 2 weeks later...
Right now, on the eve of the Olympic celebration, the theatre part of the Museum is being set up for CBC broadcasts from the Athens Games at Canada Olympic Park.

It seems that a Calgary Olympic torch is at display in the Olympic Spirit exhibit in Toronto now. Of course, it (the whole complex) won't be opened until this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems that a Calgary Olympic torch is at display in the Olympic Spirit exhibit in Toronto now. Of course, it (the whole complex) won't be opened until this weekend.

Will they be displaying Montreal's as well?

Will they be displaying Montreal's as well?

I don't know, but I would assume so because of the importance of Canada's first Olympic Games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This piece of news, from the CTV, could get interesting for Calgary and Edmonton, considering it has been debated on and off for years:

Edmonton-Calgary Hi-Speed Rail Feasible: Study

Oh, by the way, it could cost as much as Cdn$3.4 billion:

High-Speed Rail Link May Cost $3.4 Billion: Study

Now, Calgary will be the first of four Canadian cities that will have a new version of training center for its current and upcoming Canadian Olympic athletes. The model that this idea comes from is, guess what, the Australian one:

COC Endorses New Training Centre

Finally, a post that relates to the topic's title, but with puzzlement. Is it true that Matti Nykanen, Finland's ski-jumping sensation from the Calgary 1988 Games, got into trouble with the law again? I read the title of it on the front page of yesterday's Calgary Herald, but I didn't get the time to read it.

If you don't know about this athlete from Finland, come see this link (from the IOC website) below:

Matti Nykanen Of Finland (Ski Jumper)

This piece of news, from the CTV, could get interesting for Calgary and Edmonton, considering it has been debated on and off for years:

i would love to see that get built.

i would love to see that get built.

When it does finally get started to be built, then I'll believe it.

Finally, a post that relates to the topic's title, but with puzzlement. Is it true that Matti Nykanen, Finland's ski-jumping sensation from the Calgary 1988 Games, got into trouble with the law again? I read the title of it on the front page of yesterday's Calgary Herald, but I didn't get the time to read it.

If you don't know about this athlete from Finland, come see this link (from the IOC website) below:

Attempted manslaughter. What is this guy trying to do to himself?

Former World Champion Ski Jumper Matti Nykanen Charged With Attempted Manslaughter

• 2 weeks later...

Attempted manslaughter. What is this guy trying to do to himself?

Former World Champion Ski Jumper Matti Nykanen Charged With Attempted Manslaughter

The downfall of an Olympic hero:

Former World Ski Jumper Sentenced To Prison

yet again Guardian talks to himself

:oh:

And what does that imply? As some people have been doing on-and-off again, why can't I say something about my city? Man, you better PM me again and explain yourself. I don't like the implications of this threat to me.

Getting to the topic per se (about just Calgary), I wouldn't be surprised if some one or some group of high-school age that you know will heading to the city for the ConocoPhillips World School Debating Championships. It will be held next year from February 21 - March 3.

• 1 month later...

Well, since it was the late 1980's, the look of the Games was really simple.  Mostly the Calgary logo in red or blue on a solid white backgroud or the reverse (a white logo on solid red or blue) and sometimes in colours like aqua, green and magenta.  The volunteers wore a blue snow suit with bright yellow and white accents and trim (again, the late 1980's here) and the "medal girls" wore fake furry suits that looked like bleached out aqua blue.

Look on the ice

54-16PP26621th.jpg53-36PP28026th.jpg

Look on the snow

54-45MR19228Ath.jpg54-45MR1896th.jpg

Volunteers

54-46MR14911th.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
After my long hiatus, it seems that Calgary may end up mothballing the ski-jump venue. Not a great time to announce that then because of the need to have it for practice for the Vancouver 2010 Games for starters.

Archived