Monterrey 2016

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I support Monterrey cause i don´t wanna see an english speaking city hosting the OG again after London 2012. In my point of view Monterrey can present us something new, we have never seen before in the Olympic history.

I think the Olympics are to often in english speaking countries. That doesn´t mean that i didn´t like Sydney, Salt Lake...

I support Monterrey cause i don´t wanna see an english speaking city hosting the OG again after London 2012. In my point of view Monterrey can present us something new, we have never seen before in the Olympic history.

I think the Olympics are to often in english speaking countries. That doesn´t mean that i didn´t like Sydney, Salt Lake...

beautiful nick.... :rolleyes:

do you know what is "ano" in spanish?

Well, it has been a while, since Barcelona 1992, when it comes to the Spanish-speaking world having the chance to host another Olympic Games. Of course, since Madrid is most likely wanting to bid for the 2016 Olympic Games, would a possible Mexican bid for these Games end up "in conflict" or "in compliment" of each other? I am saying that because there are times when I do see a bit of a "grudge match" between "English-speaking" countries or entities that want the same world championship or other international events really "duke it out."

The official language of the province (Cataluna) which Barcelona sits in is not Spanish, it's Catalan. Although, Spanish is widely uderstood there.

Okay. Well, Barcelona is situated in Spain at the moment, despite the various politics that have come to play there. Besides, I did hear the Catalan language back then and I thought I did hear Spanish there, too. Anyway, the one thing is true is that this "international language" hasn't been heard in the Olympic Games for a while, when English and French are officially used in the Olympic Movement.

But his "anno" (in Italian) is with 2 n's. Not at all meaning what you're referring to, silly boy. :lol:

But, isn't the letter "n" with the "swirl symbol" on top constitutes a "double 'n'" in Spanish?

But, isn't the letter "n" with the "swirl symbol" on top constitutes a "double 'n'" in Spanish?

Remembering from Spanish class, the n with the funny line above it makes a "nyo" (kinda Slavic sounding) sound to it. Like the word on hand would be pronounced "anyo" but spelled "ano" with the curly line above the n.

The official language of the province (Cataluna) which Barcelona sits in is not Spanish, it's Catalan. Although, Spanish is widely uderstood there.

I´m catalan,Catalonia have three official languages: spanish,catalan and occitan (in the Aran valley).

The "swirl symbol" is called a tilde. ;)

In Spanish, the "ñ" is equivalent to the "gn" in Italian, ie., "gnocchi" is pronounced "nyoki."

The French "gn" is like the Italian "gn" too, I think.

And yeah, it was a news story here in LA some years ago when Spanish-named streets were changed to have the tilde added.

And for good reason. There's a street called "Año Nuevo" which means "New Year." "Ano Nuevo" would mean New Anus."

Remembering from Spanish class, the n with the funny line above it makes a "nyo" (kinda Slavic sounding) sound to it. Like the word on hand would be pronounced "anyo" but spelled "ano" with the curly line above the n.

ñ of ñuto

The "n" with the curly line (tilde is the exact term for it) is pronounced "enye" (by itself). Yes, "year" would become "ano" ("n" with the tilde.) Anus would be "culo" in Spanish.

Thanks, baron, for that info.

Hello everybody, this is my first post here, I've been following the conversations as a guest only, wondering when there'll be a topic on Monterrey.

I read on other forum about a meeting between Monterrey's Mayor Alberto Madero and Mexican Olympic Committee Felipe Muñoz on Monterrey as soon as this month. Could this mean an official announcement?

Would it be wise to announce before the US does? or should they wait untill the US names their city to participate?

U're wilkommen, Guard.

What great depths our discussions here at GamesBids have reached!! :rolleyes:

Yeah. This topic is now deviated to how the Spanish language is spoken and written. Next thing we know, this place is where GB members start learning rudimentary Spanish. Perhaps Mikel and others here could start that here?

Anyway, getting back to the topic here, what is the news about Monterrey 2016? Well, I did find some sort of a website dedicated to the cause.

Link: A Monterrey 2016 Website

The most interesting thing to come is the official presention of the bid, I hope that will come soon, they have been holding the proyect underground too long...

I've seen the plans, there are good, most of the venues are in 10 km radius, there have been rumors about a new stadium, but I think is just a rumor, the most probable thing will be a renovation and reconstruction, tear down some buildings and build them new, and expantion of the venues we have today.

I hope the IOC chooses Monterrey to the shotlist, I think the organizers have been preparing this for 9 years, practically since they were kids, they are right now in their twenties, I was surprised when I first saw them :blink: , because they told how long they have been in the proyect.

The most interesting thing to come is the official presention of the bid, I hope that will come soon, they have been holding the proyect underground too long...

I've seen the plans, there are good, most of the venues are in 10 km radius, there have been rumors about a new stadium, but I think is just a rumor, the most probable thing will be a renovation and reconstruction, tear down some buildings and build them new, and expantion of the venues we have today.

I hope the IOC chooses Monterrey to the shotlist, I think the organizers have been preparing this for 9 years, practically since they were kids, they are right now in their twenties, I was surprised when I first saw them :blink: , because they told how long they have been in the proyect.

The youth of the world!! But they have the proper dinosuors behind them to support their bid.

Archived