Interesting Article About The 2014 Cg Bid And Discussion Boards...

Yep, thats Bruce DeVenne in a nutshell. And when people say he singled handidly caused all the controversy, it's basically true. He IS like the pied piper for the naysayers.

The problem with this is that the points that the anti-games crew put out, are problems that the other bidding cities would also have. It's just that nobody in the other bidding cities seem to be bringing up such points. I think this is purely a case of NIMBYism. Because many people around here are just anti progress period, not just anti CWG. And their an extremely vocal group. Lets say the recent polls are correct and 72% in HRM support the games. With the amount of relentless nimbyism by the anti-games folks, they can make it look like over 70% are actually against the games, because the media seems to be biased towards them.

It's a sad reality, but its true.

BDV went on CBC and lied about the Glasgow bid costing $3 billion.

The anchor interviewing BDV had the info showing that number to be be totally bogus, but he didn't challenge him.

The local paper did a poll about the media being too negative and look at the results. http://www.herald.ca/vote.html

What's that tell you?

I know I seen that...I couldn't believe no body called him on such an outrageous claim.

Well, that and its recent bids for other Games and international events that Canada tried to put bids forward lately. The real big stinker to me was the demise of the Expo 2015 bid for Toronto. Urso, of the ExpoMuseum.com website, has noted that in some indirect way. If the North American members of the BIE don't do something to alleviate this problem, there could be a perceived idea in the world that ALL of the AMERICAS is a "cultural wasteland." So, that part of this HalifaxLive article is somewhat true about what Canada's image could look like, if we are not careful about our place on this planet. It could cost us more dear than any of these naysayers have to say about it and their real agendas in the long run.

Anyway, when I saw that Scottish web article hours after Google put it as the "first place" new update in its search engine, I thought it was a good idea to post it here. I did see the potential for the Halifax 2014 supporters to go into the "up in arms" motions, but I didn't really know how much of it was going to be. It seems that the NIMBYs are having the field day by sacrificing the city's "ambitions" for "various personal agendas." Balance is the key, what is this general balance anyway? I have seen here why Halifax was chosen over the Ontario cities competing against it for the national bid then. But, should one of the Ontarian cities should have gotten it instead of Halifax? That may be a case, but it is a folly to think that there is an amount of "clear cut" direction about how the Commonwealth Games Federation would choose their future event locales. Cases in point: the 2010 race between Hamilton vs. Delhi and the 1994 race between Victoria and one Asian city (I forgot which one it is, but it was evident then to me).

I'm still a little baffled by the whole situation. How was one guy and his four or five little buddies able to get everyone's attention? Why are reputable newspapers publishing rumors as if they were reasoned fact? It has to be due to the secrecy of the committee because people start to believe rumor in the absence of good information. The bid committee really botched that one, and it's time they take a role in keeping the public properly informed. Whoever's been in charge of PR on this committee has been asleep at the wheel.

If these consultants come out with a favourable appraisal of the games, i think the anti-gamers will lose a lot of steam. i haven't heard them mention the consultants very much, and you know if they expected results in their favour they'd be shouting it in our ears 24/7. I'm sure they've already prepared their speeches calling the consultants a bunch of crooks.

It's probably a good idea for the commonwealth countries to look at the precedent they'd be setting if they gave these guys too much attention. If they let 4 guys from halifax sway their decisions, they'd be showing anti-gamers everywhere that over-the-top agressive scare tactics will be handsomely rewarded. What happens for the next bid? The crazies will be out in force, lowering public opinion until no one wants to bid. Where will that leave the commonwealth games? The reason you should discount Bruce and his cronies is the same reason you don't negotiate with terrorists; the last thing you want to do is encourage them.

If it turns out the professional economists think the games are not economically viable, and economic impact is your primary concern, then by all means, stop supporting the games. I can live with that, and even respect your reasons. But if you've based your opposition thus far on BDV's efforts at sabotage, please reserve judgement until you have the facts. BDV's not spending money attacking these games out of the goodness of his heart, he's trying to make you think that you need his permission before you do anything in the name of progress. It's called power, and Brucey's appeared to have taken quite a liking to it. If Halifax is willing to live like that, than I can't help but think you all deserve each other.

And about loose lips sinking ships, I wouldn't worry too much. Vancouver had it's own harbringers of doom trying to turn everyone against the Olympics, and they turned out fine. Besides, still plenty of time 'til November.

^ those harbringers of doom vandalized and ripped down the Olympic flag at city hall today......they say the Olympics are costing taxpayers too much, when they just added a $10,000 bill for the city to replace the 5x7 metre hand sewn flag and flag pole.

^ those harbringers of doom vandalized and ripped down the Olympic flag at city hall today......they say the Olympics are costing taxpayers too much, when they just added a $10,000 bill for the city to replace the 5x7 metre hand sewn flag and flag pole.

And to think...I was starting to believe Halifax was the only place with naysayers against international sporting events.

That's terrible that they ripped down the flag. That's vandalism and they should be punished, including paying the cost for it themselves.

^ and last month, when the 2010 countdown clock was unveiled at the three year countdown, protesters stormed the stage and pushed away the VANOC emcee and started shouting profanities. They also started to throw balloons filled with paint, balloons filled with rocks, and a whole arsenal of other things. They have so much energy to disrupt the 2010 Games, but unfortunately, are so retarded and lazy that they will not find themselves a place to live and a job - and they are completely capable of doing so. Several people were arrested and charged.

After the flag and countdown clock, Vancouver Police Department has said they will be taking a whole new approach to similar 2010 events.....with many more officers in full riot gear.

BDV went on CBC and lied about the Glasgow bid costing $3 billion.

The anchor interviewing BDV had the info showing that number to be be totally bogus, but he didn't challenge him.

The local paper did a poll about the media being too negative and look at the results. http://www.herald.ca/vote.html

What's that tell you?

Actually it is not a lie . I saw the article in the evening times of Glasgow. I thought it was a outragous claim by bruce but in black and white Derek Casey is quoted that figure.

jim jones

Actually it is not a lie . I saw the article in the evening times of Glasgow. I thought it was a outragous claim by bruce but in black and white Derek Casey is quoted that figure.

jim jones

And they arent at all considering pulling their bid? their insane....

And they arent at all considering pulling their bid? their insane....

That is their business and it is a larger city after all. Metro Glasgow if i am not mistaken is about 1 million population. You also have Cydlesdale bank investing 120 million canadian into a metro centre sized venue for the city.

The Halifax committee was doomed by pension of secrecy. It was not going to fly. It is sad for young people like yourself Wish to believe in Fred Mac gillivrays wacky dream that the feds were going to provide a free lunch of sport venues. It has never happened in canada and actually extra ordinary funding is something no one with a sport festival has been afforded by the feds. Montreal was afforded absolutely nothing and could make a huge stink if a billion dollar open ended commitment was made to halifax.

Glasgow I would love to see host the games. Realistically they could do it. Abuja though probably will simply because of the absence of the games from africa for the entire 80 year history.

Jim jones

Answer me this. If Abuja is left as the only bidder will they simply award the games to them? or would a resubmittal or something have to occur? For one bidder doesnt seem to induce confidence that it is the best or that the process to select it is as rigorous

Answer me this. If Abuja is left as the only bidder will they simply award the games to them? or would a resubmittal or something have to occur? For one bidder doesnt seem to induce confidence that it is the best or that the process to select it is as rigorous

If Abuja was the only bidder, it is the matter of accepting or denying the bid. It would be almost a "suicidal decision", if the CGF did NOT take the bid to continue the line of Commonwealth Games hosting. Certainly, the IOC, which does recognize the Games, would be "up in arms", so to speak. So, in my POV, it would be accepted by default. Remember, the 2006 Commonwealth Games ended up in Melbourne because it was the only bid, after Wellington, New Zealand, dropped out.

The bigger question is for the Commonwealth Games Federation to answer. Is there real interest from the Commonwealth nations to wanting to host the Games? Call me stupid, but it seems that there are only up to 3 candidate cities for each of the past editions lately. I could be wrong, but if they don't do something to alleviate it, then the whole idea could die within my lifetime.

The bigger question is for the Commonwealth Games Federation to answer. Is there real interest from the Commonwealth nations to wanting to host the Games? Call me stupid, but it seems that there are only up to 3 candidate cities for each of the past editions lately. I could be wrong, but if they don't do something to alleviate it, then the whole idea could die within my lifetime.

Insightful observation G! I think letting HRM in the race as long as they did hurt the FEDERATION's credibility too and they do not know it yet. Had the FED disqualified HRM ( and there were many reasons) that would have been an act of credibility...they lost alot of my respect.

Abuja as the only bidder standing would not be something foreign to the commonwealth games. Both manchester and melbourne were awarded unopposed after other cities dropped out. Glasgow has a bit of anti-games sentiment but nowheres near what halifax was. The bid for halifax was too secretive and too much of a hill to climb for facilities. Glasgow has the tools , capital and facilities to win as Abuja does as well. Abuja will prevail because of history in the recent biding process.

jim jones

Archived