Uefa Champions League

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would I not be alone in feeling sick if Milan win in Athens three weeks tonight?

No. They already did that in 1994, why go through it again?... <_<

I'm sorry but I'm really annoyed with this final. Could the trophy not be awarded this year? :unsure:

Told you so...

That was one pathetic display by United. Milan, especially Kaka, just tore apart United's defence, or whatever there was of it.

Would I not be alone in feeling sick if Milan win in Athens three weeks tonight?

You wouldn't be. Liverpool have to win for the good of European football and to save UEFA's blushes. As good a team as Milan are (and they are good) they are only in this competition because of a legal technicality. UEFA and most of Europe believed they shouldn't be there (don't try to argue with me on this point). If they win, you have to congratulate the players but it'll be a sad day for football.

Also, does anyone else find it a tad ironic that the points deduction AC had to endure in Serie A has meant that they could rest players in the league; thereby helping their Champion's League campaign? This was a luxury Man Utd have not had.

You have to congratulate Italian football for contriving a situation where clubs that cheat have actually got an advantage in Europe's premier competition don't you?

:unsure:

Sorry to sound bitter but I am - and I don't even support any of the clubs in this competition.

Sorry to sound bitter but I am - and I don't even support any of the clubs in this competition.

Me too, and sorry if I'm often repeating myself.

I've seen many people super-happy because the final will be contested between two European colossus and they're already foreseeing a remake of the excitement of two years ago (even though a final can be remade I don't think the game play can be duplicated). Sadly, I'm not. I support the opposite actually: fresh new teams that haven't won that much trophies, even if it means that the "quality" and euphoria may not be that high. I want more Steaua 86, Porto 87 & 04, Red Star 91, Marseille 93 and Dortmund 97...

The CL was made to allow rich clubs to become richer and smaller clubs just have a hint of what they could have if they had more money. That's the way its profit and prestige are maximized. That's why I support Platini's idea to reduce a country's CL contingent to three max and let other smaller nations enter their champions.

Fair enough Filipe. But I think it'll take more than that to change the make up of the finalists or even change significantly the teams we see in the knock-out stages. The bigger teams will still knock out the smaller teams and the last 16 will still look pretty much the same as it always has done even with the new system.

Me too, and sorry if I'm often repeating myself.

I've seen many people super-happy because the final will be contested between two European colossus and they're already foreseeing a remake of the excitement of two years ago (even though a final can be remade I don't think the game play can be duplicated). Sadly, I'm not. I support the opposite actually: fresh new teams that haven't won that much trophies, even if it means that the "quality" and euphoria may not be that high. I want more Steaua 86, Porto 87 & 04, Red Star 91, Marseille 93 and Dortmund 97...

The CL was made to allow rich clubs to become richer and smaller clubs just have a hint of what they could have if they had more money. That's the way its profit and prestige are maximized. That's why I support Platini's idea to reduce a country's CL contingent to three max and let other smaller nations enter their champions.

That's fine as far as it goes, and Platini isn't going anything like far enough.

Fair enough Filipe. But I think it'll take more than that to change the make up of the finalists or even change significantly the teams we see in the knock-out stages. The bigger teams will still knock out the smaller teams and the last 16 will still look pretty much the same as it always has done even with the new system.

Probably. But it's not staying the way it is that it'll change, definitely. I never said nor do I expect things to change drastically with such measures. But it's a step. What matters is that other nations can say that they were given a bigger chance to have a taste of the European stage :)

• 2 weeks later...
Nobody has suggested that all the Tottenham fans were blameless, in the same way that nobody has suggested that all the Manchester United fans were blameless. But you cannot get away from the fact that the disorder from the Tottenham fans was started by the behaviour of the police in hitting innocent men, women and children.

I don't want to start up old argument, but I feel this is worth bring your attention to:

Spurs stewards win bravery awards

Twenty two stewards who protected Spurs fans from Spanish police during a Uefa Cup match against Sevilla will receive awards for bravery on Sunday.

The commendation is usually given to police officers and has never before been given to football stewards.

The awards will be presented at half-time when Spurs play Manchester City at White Hart Lane.

Police superintendent Simon O'Brien said: "I witnessed what I can only describe as selfless, brave conduct."

The trouble started during the match in Spain on 5 April following a peaceful day in which Sevilla and Spurs fans had mingled together in the town.

O'Brien said the violence at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium could have been far worse but for the intervention of the stewards.

"They consistently acted as go-betweens in an escalating confrontation," he said.

"I saw them physically protecting fans and being injured themselves. I never saw them flinch in a lengthy violent confrontation.

"They were a fluorescent protective cushion in the middle of a melee. I have no doubt that, but for the presence of Spurs stewards, we could have experienced far more violence that night."

In a statement, Spurs said: "As Spanish police confronted travelling Tottenham fans with batons and shields, 22 stewards and officials from the club placed themselves between police and fans as they tried to restore calm."

Tottenham press officer Philip Dorward added: "Uefa should take notice of this commendation for the way English clubs help police their fans in Europe.

"The situation could have been far, far worse and Uefa should be aware of the steps we take to prevent trouble."

Sevilla beat Spurs 2-1 in Seville and then drew 2-2 at White Hart Lane to reach the semi-finals where they beat Osasuna.

They will meet Espanyol in an all-Spanish Uefa Cup final in Glasgow on Wednesday.

Link

an_clap.gif

UEFA and most of Europe believed they shouldn't be there (don't try to argue with me on this point). If they win, you have to congratulate the players but it'll be a sad day for football.

Absolutley doubtful view.

Doubtful to who? Certainly not to me. UEFA showed they had no bottle when they let Milan take part in a tournament they had no right to enter through results gained because of their fraudulent actions.

I totally support the English members and the Portuguese one on this matter. It is really a joke to see Milan at the final.

But the the reactions of the Italians leaves me questioning, whether i am right or i am just envy. I think the Italian members are as stupid as i am, but i have the impression they don't realize how much is going wrong in the Italian football.

I totally support the English members and the Portuguese one on this matter. It is really a joke to see Milan at the final.

But the the reactions of the Italians leaves me questioning, whether i am right or i am just envy. I think the Italian members are as stupid as i am, but i have the impression they don't realize how much is going wrong in the Italian football.

Nah, you see the problems with Italian football, whereas the Italians don't, makes you smart, not stupid.

I think the collective will of the world wants Liverpool to win.

What the hell do you expect? Should I join the "You don't deserve whatever" festival and give you reason unconditionally even if my thoughts are different?

It has been much much more complicated than you like to think.

As a matter of facts Milan was only lightly touched by the scandal and any prove, on the field as in the phone interceptions, demonstrate it was a victim. New recently interceptions confirm that.

They were punished with -8 points without proving a real partecipation in the match-fix scandal. Your statements sound like definitive sentences of guilty and I can't accept it.

Now think and say whatever you want, I don't give any more importance to that. I'm tired on arguing all the time.

The nature of the punishments handed down suggests Milan were at least less culpable than the other clubs involved. But why should we treat Milan as though they are victims? The fact they were punished as they were clearly shows something was amiss. And in that context, is it really right that they should be allowed in European tournaments this season?

Step up for final ceremonies

There will be a new, yet also time-honoured and traditional, look to the trophy ceremonies at UEFA's big two club showcases - the UEFA Cup final in Glasgow on Wednesday and the UEFA Champions League final in Athens on 23 May. In this article, UEFA President Michel Platini explains why the winning teams will climb the steps to receive the respective trophies at the end of each final.

"It was my wish that, in Glasgow on 16 May and in Athens a week later, a noble European club competition tradition should be revived. The same tradition will also return at the UEFA EURO 2008™ final in Vienna next year.

"The winners will climb steps to receive the trophy amid the crowd of fans, the football people, those who are loyal to the game. Football is being restored to its rightful place - its heroes are being returned to the crowd, the winners are united with the fans in the grandstand, rather than the fans merely watching events on the big screen. Following the victory, the trophy, and the emotion.

"The memories of those who love football are filled with vivid images that have become iconic as the years go by. For example, they remember Bobby Moore, proudly wearing the red shirt bearing England's three rampant lions, seizing hold of a small golden statuette in the Wembley Stadium grandstand in July 1966; or they remember the joy of Italy's Dino Zoff in the middle of the crowd in the Santiago Bernabéu in 1982. Older fans will not have forgotten a night at Paris's Parc des Princes in 1956 when Miguel Muñoz, in the white shirt of the Real Madrid CF 'Merengues', as the club is popularly known, held aloft the first European Champion Clubs' Cup - a trophy which was nicknamed 'Old Big Ears', and a trophy destined for a phenomenal future. Then there are the younger ones among us who will doubtless recall France's Didier Deschamps in 1998 - climbing on to the grandstand guardrail and, balancing precariously, brandishing the cup among an enraptured crowd of fans.

"Football has always been the expression of the people, with no distinction made as to status or culture. The players are at one with the crowds of supporters. They come from the same roots, and they will return there in going up to receive the trophy while being hailed by the crowd that they are among. That is why a change in protocol has been made - to return football to those who love the game."

uefa.com

Step up for final ceremonies

There will be a new, yet also time-honoured and traditional, look to the trophy ceremonies at UEFA's big two club showcases - the UEFA Cup final in Glasgow on Wednesday and the UEFA Champions League final in Athens on 23 May. In this article, UEFA President Michel Platini explains why the winning teams will climb the steps to receive the respective trophies at the end of each final.

"It was my wish that, in Glasgow on 16 May and in Athens a week later, a noble European club competition tradition should be revived. The same tradition will also return at the UEFA EURO 2008™ final in Vienna next year.

"The winners will climb steps to receive the trophy amid the crowd of fans, the football people, those who are loyal to the game. Football is being restored to its rightful place - its heroes are being returned to the crowd, the winners are united with the fans in the grandstand, rather than the fans merely watching events on the big screen. Following the victory, the trophy, and the emotion.

"The memories of those who love football are filled with vivid images that have become iconic as the years go by. For example, they remember Bobby Moore, proudly wearing the red shirt bearing England's three rampant lions, seizing hold of a small golden statuette in the Wembley Stadium grandstand in July 1966; or they remember the joy of Italy's Dino Zoff in the middle of the crowd in the Santiago Bernabéu in 1982. Older fans will not have forgotten a night at Paris's Parc des Princes in 1956 when Miguel Muñoz, in the white shirt of the Real Madrid CF 'Merengues', as the club is popularly known, held aloft the first European Champion Clubs' Cup - a trophy which was nicknamed 'Old Big Ears', and a trophy destined for a phenomenal future. Then there are the younger ones among us who will doubtless recall France's Didier Deschamps in 1998 - climbing on to the grandstand guardrail and, balancing precariously, brandishing the cup among an enraptured crowd of fans.

"Football has always been the expression of the people, with no distinction made as to status or culture. The players are at one with the crowds of supporters. They come from the same roots, and they will return there in going up to receive the trophy while being hailed by the crowd that they are among. That is why a change in protocol has been made - to return football to those who love the game."

uefa.com

For being honest, i didn't know that thing until i watched the UEFA Cup Final :lol: . Some people didn't liked the idea, since the ausence of conffetis behind the champions and sort of thing (anyway there was a fireworks show at Hampden Park). Looks like this is not going to hapen just to the Champions, UEFA or the Euro, but also with the european national leagues, since Chelsea did the same thing when they win the FA Cup at New Wembley the past week.

Anyway is just ''details''. The really exciting thing will be the football match tomorrow. Personally i support AC Milan, they got a better team that the one that failed in Istambul against Liverpool.

I've got bad news: I cannot watch the game because I have to work tomorrow, from 9:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. here in Wichita. Go figure. And if the game turns out to be somewhat as good as the 2005 final between these clubs, I'm going to be even more angry...

Archived