Uefa Champions League

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U N I T E D ! ! ! !

Sorry,just felt I had to get that off my chest! ;)

Old_Trafford_inside_20060726_1.jpg

Hehe. Looks like we'll be supporting opposite sides in the semis then. Bring it on!

Ballack's flattered to decieve in England. He's come good in the last few matches for Chelsea (much like Shevchenko) but considering the amount of hype pre-season has done very little.

Considering I usually have a good poke at English teams all the time, its not like we aren't use to being on opposite sides.

It would be really great if there was 3 English teams in the final 4, but the 4th team (hopefully Bayern Munchen, cause if AC wins I will be cheering for the English) wins it all.

Considering I usually have a good poke at English teams all the time, its not like we aren't use to being on opposite sides.

True. :angry:

Though I will say, I'm also going for Bayern Munich tonight as I don't believe AC Milan should even have been in this season's competition to be honest. Also, that'll leave two great semi-finals. One, an all English affair. The second a replay (hopefully in results terms as well) of the great 1999 final.

A truly awesome performance from Manchester United last night. I haven't seen a performance like that in Europe by an English club for a long time. Roma just didn't know what hit them. Sensational.

As regards what went on before kick-off outside the ground was concerned, I watched a good half hour or so of continuous coverage on Sky News and, though they tried to over-sensationalise it, the contrast between the approaches of the English and the Italian police could not have been more stark. It is worthy of note that UEFA have called today on other police forces to follow the British example. For once, I couldn't agree with them more.

UEFA heaps praise on British police (audio)

Well, Uefa's director of communications William Gaillard certainly didn't mince his words. Two main points came out of this:

1. He said that the English model is infinately preferable to the Italian one.

2. He said that the difference between the events in Rome and those in Seville was "there was probably no-one in the Roman force last week who could speak English". In Seville, however, there were English police who were directly responsible for defusing the situation (the implication being the Spanish forces on their own were probably making it worse).

I still expect both Spurs and Man Utd and also Roma to be punished, but at least UEFA are starting to make the right noises. Better late than never.

by your summery it seems a superficial comment to fire poinblank against the italian order forces. These are my impressions.

Perhaps a slightly flippant quote, but the overall point he was making was undoubtedly correct.

Evvai! The good old Seedorf and Inzaghi.. :)

Here they are the 4 finalists:

Manchester - Milan

Liverpool - Chelsea

I am not a fan of Bayern Munich, but i really dislike Berlusconi. What a disgrace Italian football is. So good luck to Man U. Pity that there will be no re-match of the 1999 final. Oh, what a joy it was. I have never been so happy about a win of an English club again.

I am not a fan of Bayern Munich, but i really dislike Berlusconi. What a disgrace Italian football is.

If there's something good in Berlusconi this is the presidence of the AC Milan.. just have a look in the trophies showcase during the last 2 decades.. no other team in Europe has reached so many times the semifinals in champions league.

If there's something good in Berlusconi this is the presidence of the AC Milan.. just have a look in the trophies showcase during the last 2 decades.. no other team in Europe has reached so many times the semifinals in champions league.

I think we all know, how the Italian clubs qualify for the CL. There is nothing to be proud of.

Yes, it's great to have a president who also owns almost the entire Italian media and was prime minister for quite some time :P (I'm sorry, I don't fancy Milan a lot, though I respect their HUGE European curriculum.)

Reminds me of SL Benfica during Salazar's 40-year dictatorship, when it became the "people and nation's club", practically won the league every year and reached so far in Europe... Dictatorship ended: where's it now? And silverware? Veeeery few and only recently. But still nothing to compare with FC Porto who have been the country's best club since then.

They couldn't have reached all those finals goethe.. :rolleyes:

Milan as all the italians teams have to be proud of them partecipations in champions league!

Of course they should! Everyone club should. I know mine is and so am I ;)

It's just that I get tired of looking at the CL semifinals list and see "AC Milan" there year after year.

Spurs v Seville. A tie to forget from my point of view. It was all downhill after the first 68 seconds of the first leg!

The first match was marked out by the single worst refereeing performance and the poorest penalty decision I've seen in my life. Two or three of the Seville players spent most of this match on their arses, and the ref was taken in by their acting ability. On top of that many of our innocent fans were beaten to a pulp by over-zealous (that's a euphamism btw) police. The worst match I've ever had the misfortune to watch.

We then have a real makeshift defence for the second leg after injuries to Garder and Lee and have to play midfielder in defence as well as a not-completely-fit Ledely King. It showed in the first ten minutes and despite a much, much better match at White Hart Lane, couldn't undo the damage after conceeding two away goals.

Credit to Seville, they did what they needed to do and, for the most part, did it well and within the spirit of the game. But two matches to forget and some issues regarding refereeing and crowd contol for UEFA to look into. As for us, 5th in the league isn't out of the question and if the FA Cup final is between Man Utd and Chelsea, as expected, we'll alomst certainly be back in the UEFA Cup next year looking to go at least one better.

I'm very, very optimistic for the future of our team, just a bit miffed right now.

UEFA CUP semifinalist:

Three SPANISH clubs are in the semis.

Osasuna : Sevilla

Espanyol : Bremen

Good luck Bremen ;)

GO OSASUNA!! :P

Archived