Uefa Champions League

Liverpool, Chelsea, Valencia and Roma through tonight, with holders Barcelona and well-fancied Lyon among the casualties.

I watched the Liverpool game and they should have had the tie wrapped up by half-time. They should have been a couple of goals up on the night at that stage. The better side certainly went through over the two games.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully we can have four English sides in the quarters by tomorrow. That would be pretty good.

Even better if Celtic can also get through, making five British sides altogether.

Surely Man Utd will beat Lille on aggregate (Lille don't deserve to go any further anyway) and I think Arse*** have a pretty good chance at home against PSV despite being 1-0 down from the first leg.

UEFA Cup continues tomorrow as well, with the mighty Tottenham Hotspur, Newcaslte and Rangers still in it from the UK.

God hope Bayern can manage to beat Real tonight, I am really hoping that Bayern can get a 1-0 or 2-1 win to move on.

No more Barcelona is a good thing and hopefully no more Real aften tonight. Hopefully Athletico Madrid gets in next year.

50-50 tie for me. Bayern's two away goals are a big plus but I would fancy Madrid to score at least once. I expect Manchester United to win comfortably. Apparently Henry's only on the bench for Arsenal, but I think they'll just squeak it against PSV and much as I'd love to see it, I can't imagine Celtic getting past AC Milan.

Historic win for Roma which didn't reach the quarter final since '82 (the first time since the new ChampionsLeage exist).. it would be great to see a derby Roma-Milan in the next draw!

I could always go and have a couple of pints if you'd prefer. Seriously, you just seemed very confident that Milan would get through last night, as though you may have slightly underestimated the opposition.

..you just seemed very confident that Milan would get through last night, as though you may have slightly underestimated the opposition.

Have I ever said something to make you think so? :huh:

RELAX!

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting results in tonight's first leg ties:

AC Milan 2-2 Bayern Munich - Milan led twice, the second time thanks to a poor refereeing decision to give a penalty when the Munich player clearly won the ball. Still, Munich have to be favourites now with two away goals.

PSV Eindhoven 0-3 Liverpool - What a result for the 2005 champions.

Tomorrow's ties see Roma host Manchester United, while Chelsea entertain Valencia. I'm interested to know what any of the Italian members make of the warnings that Manchester United have been giving to their fans who are travelling to the Olympic Stadium tomorrow. They have talked of "primitive conditions" and I understand the United supporters will be kept back for up to 90 minutes after the game. Personally, I can understand why United would urge their supporters to be cautious and vigilant after events in the country this season and with the reputation some elements of the Roma support have, but what they're saying does seem to be a little bit excessive. Any thoughts?

Italian football needs to sort itself out.

I'm listening to the radio right now (the match finished 90 minutes ago) and the commentator is worried about leaving Roma's gound because of what's gone on! I feel sorry for the Man Utd fans being kept in the stadium as I'm hearing there are Roma ultras waiting outside for them when they exit.

The police were way over the top. I'm not saying there weren't any trouble makers among Man Utd's fans but the police's reaction sounds ridiculous.

Archived