Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

Pretty picture, but they must have had to air-brush the pollution out of the pic. Great venues are going to be overshadowed in 2008 by unbreathable air in Beijing. You watch. Beijing 2008 will be remembered for the absolutely horrible air pollution.

Bird's Nest Echoes With Lotus flowers

img214102750ij2.jpg

http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/venues/...214102748.shtml

Very nice. :)

Edited by juan antonio
  • Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I absolutely don't expect it to be the cauldron tower. And that's actually all I have to say about that.

Don't crap your pants, everyone, this could be anything! But if you ask me, I would guess they're setting up the suspended cauldron's support because (1) where it sits on the stadiums (on a corne

Also lighting will assist the situation. As for the smog - as a regular visitor to Beijing the air quality is a concern, however breathing it for 16 days isn't going to kill anyone.

The bigger issue will be the ridiculous heat. It was 32 yesterday but felt like 40 as the area Beijing is in doesn't let the humidity escape and as such it's like being in a blast furnace. I would NOT want to be exerting myself in these conditions - but what can the Chinese do?

Here's a preview of how the stadium might be used as a visual element during the opening ceremony and throughout the games:

beijingbn01.jpg

beijingbn02.jpg

beijingbn03.jpg

beijingbn04.jpg

beijingbn05.jpg

I'm still wondering where the cauldron will be placed. I hope they don't build it as a separate structure outside the stadium (Doha).

• 2 months later...
beijingbn05.jpg

Can you imagine the extra heat generated by all those lights (interior AND exterior) + all the body heat of packed stadia, on a warm, windless Beijing night? I bet BOCOG will be praying for rain during those 17 days if only to wash away all that polluted air.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Air conditioning of the stadium is possible? Cos the stadium looks beautiful -- overweight by many delibitating factors.

Air conditioning of the stadium is possible? Cos the stadium looks beautiful -- overweight by many delibitating factors.

Please, james. How would that be possible? They already cut back on a lot of steel.

Overweight? :blink: Like too many calories?

No; I predict it will be a sweltering, very hot stadium. Terrible conditions. I hope people start asking for ticket refunds now!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I was dubious about the Bird Net. But as it's getting near completion it's growing on me (both from the outside and from the inside - the panels will definitely help fpr shadows). Can't wait to see it all dressed up with the look of the Games.

• 1 month later...

New updated pics of the Bird Nest as for December 31 (from Yahoo.com). Looks like the seats are already being installed :rolleyes:

r1714480048.jpg

r3663679011.jpg

r1032639764.jpg

r1851096984.jpg

r2404660371.jpg

r983467287.jpg

By the way, all the venues have been completed, with the exception of the Bird Nest (but of course, they still have to remove the tabris and dirt arround the venues or else it will look like a site in construction). The National Stadium will be completed in March.

Oh my! The fourth picture you posted is , I think, will how the field will look like at the OC! Wonderful! Can't wait!

Well, early pictures had show a big pit underneath the field of the stadium (even more bigger that the one made for the Cycladic Head at Athens 2004), so perhaps they will do something real interesting with it :rolleyes:

Well, early pictures had show a big pit underneath the field of the stadium (even more bigger that the one made for the Cycladic Head at Athens 2004), so perhaps they will do something real interesting with it :rolleyes:

That's where the 'Earthen clay warriors' (think Battleship Earth :D ) AND the cauldron will emerge from.

Nice find I must say, the atrium entrance from inside is rather impressive. Can't wait to see the stadium all decked out once August is here.

And hahah, BOCOG must have creamed their pants once 2008 arrived. :lol::rolleyes:

And hahah, BOCOG must have creamed their pants once 2008 arrived.

I don't think so. They are probably the most on-time or far-in-advance of sked ORG Committee yet; so everything (but the weather) will be on time and they are chomping at the bit to get started.

I know, but I mean that the folks at BOCOG must have been overjoyed that their Olympic year is here, and they'll soon show where they've been dumping God knows how much billions of dollars on for the last 6 years.

In HK, yesterday, their midnight countdown ended with a big Beijing 2008 logo lit up, and Beijing's celebrations were put on by BOCOG themselves.