Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I absolutely don't expect it to be the cauldron tower. And that's actually all I have to say about that.

Don't crap your pants, everyone, this could be anything! But if you ask me, I would guess they're setting up the suspended cauldron's support because (1) where it sits on the stadiums (on a corne

I have to say that now that the Stadium is finished it, it is fairly good looking. Its not a new shape but the idea of an interlacing design has been well done.

The red is a little off-putting but it is the Chinese national colour, so its understandable that there is a considerable amount of red.

As for the cauldron, it will be mechanical and will be stunning but I think that this will be another lighting that is going to get traditionalist up in arms again.

Maybe I don't see the unveiling of the cauldron before I go to China.

If not, I am going to watch every day to the National stadium to look if it's already unveiled.

They AREN'T going to unveil that formally. As you can see, it's been covered up and will make itself known on 08/08/08.

Are they still going ahead with the cloud seeding thing? Is there any chance that it works and if so, when should we expect the rain?

You know, it's GLOBAL WARMING, there's even no scientific garanttee for any sudden change of the climate. But generally the reason why BEIJING picks 08/08/2008 is in fact purely based on the rather stable historical records of local history, not as other rumours spreading the lucky 8 mystery. However, since the mother nature is gettin high in China and the rest of the world this year, there's no doubt of the potential adjusting plan. I heard about the chance of Beijing going to rain on that day might be around 44%~ so they might go ahead with that thing in case of it.

Just recently saw the news about the heat wave goes on in Greece at this time, well~it's just unpredictable after all

I regret to inform that I will be unable to attend the Opening Ceremonies of the Bejing Olympics. I have an appointment that day with the Royal Dentist that has been put off for quite some time. Additionally, my traveling tiara became misshapen when Carla Sarkozi tried it on and is now being rebuilt by the Royal Jeweler.

ER

You know, it's GLOBAL WARMING, there's even no scientific garanttee for any sudden change of the climate. But generally the reason why BEIJING picks 08/08/2008 is in fact purely based on the rather stable historical records of local history, not as other rumours spreading the lucky 8 mystery. However, since the mother nature is gettin high in China and the rest of the world this year, there's no doubt of the potential adjusting plan. I heard about the chance of Beijing going to rain on that day might be around 44%~ so they might go ahead with that thing in case of it.

Just recently saw the news about the heat wave goes on in Greece at this time, well~it's just unpredictable after all

Its global climate change, as parts of the world get warmer, other parts will get colder and eventually the changing climate dynamics will eventually result in catastrophic climate changes, including the break down of the Atlantic gulf stream that would make much of northern Europe unlivable.

The IOC would have prefered the games to start July 25th and end August 10, but the Chinese asked the games to be pushed back and it was at Beijing's request that the games start on August 8th, a very auspicious day in Chinese culture.

DWB - rain seeding has proven effective in certain climate conditions, there is a lot of intricacy in the conditions that need to be in place for it to work properly. But as a program to help with pollution it will have little affect because it is short-lived and doesn't produce enough rain.

Its global climate change, as parts of the world get warmer, other parts will get colder and eventually the changing climate dynamics will eventually result in catastrophic climate changes, including the break down of the Atlantic gulf stream that would make much of northern Europe unlivable.

The IOC would have prefered the games to start July 25th and end August 10, but the Chinese asked the games to be pushed back and it was at Beijing's request that the games start on August 8th, a very auspicious day in Chinese culture.

DWB - rain seeding has proven effective in certain climate conditions, there is a lot of intricacy in the conditions that need to be in place for it to work properly. But as a program to help with pollution it will have little affect because it is short-lived and doesn't produce enough rain.

The first vision you discribed was the one I once believed until watching a documatry on CCTV unveiled the true story behind the chosen day of 888.

Firstly you're right about the IOC in favour of the starting dates in July. But actually even in late July, Beijing still got massive chance of rainfall. And in fact the ideal dates for Beijing is supposed to be in Sep. And 1990 Asian Games was also held in Sep of Beijing. And as you know, Sep is also the season of US OPEN, IAAF GOLDEN LEAGUE, so natually there comes schedule crash among these big events. August has become the balanced option for BOCOG, but NBA, SUPER BOWL AND MLB start to kick off just after 15th August and NBC paid massive on brocasting rights on them. So it's the IOC suggested BOCOG to pick 08/08/2008 as the ideal solution, and BOCOG intially thinking 15/08/2008 might be better, but it's not a big deal if they start the games 1 week eariler.

Combining all the factors above, 08/08/2008 became the date of the Games evetually.

Plus Jacques Rogge joked he's the 8th president of IOC this year,so there're actually five 8s 8:00pm 08/08/2008 lol

Plus Jacques Rogge joked he's the 8th president of IOC this year,so there're actually five 8s 8:00pm 08/08/2008 lol

I think it's actually going to start at 8:08 pm (but that really 20:08 in military time...) ;)

Anyway, they should've also built the stadium to 88,888 seats to be totally consistent with "8" numerology.

How many toilets? 88!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
I think it's actually going to start at 8:08 pm (but that really 20:08 in military time...) ;)

According to Wikipedia, the ceremony will even start at 08:08:08 pm. Can anyone confirm that? A ceremony on 08/08/08 at 08:08:08! Wouldn't it be funny if they missed the start of the ceremony by one second, due to a technical glitch, a sleeping director or something like that? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_O...pening_Ceremony

In the eastern time zone were we are 12 hours behind China it will start 8th second of the 8th hour of the 8th day of 8th month of the 8th year of this millennium, its most auspicious to be in this timezone.

Edited by Faster

This map had been posted by TNMP in another thread, but I think this is interesting in this thread too

page8jj2.jpg

The grey part of sector L is interesting - I really wonder why this part wasn't in free sale - the other grey parts are of course for "VIPs" and the media, but for whom is the grey part in sector L?

I doubt that this part is for coaches, because this place would fit for 100 m/ 110 m hurdles only...

This map had been posted by TNMP in another thread, but I think this is interesting in this thread too

page8jj2.jpg

The grey part of sector L is interesting - I really wonder why this part wasn't in free sale - the other grey parts are of course for "VIPs" and the media, but for whom is the grey part in sector L?

I doubt that this part is for coaches, because this place would fit for 100 m/ 110 m hurdles only...

Maybe the special guests from Quake zone.

page8jj2.jpg

Or are the jumping and trowing area's at that side of the track?

But there is still a bit yellow in that section, so there will be no vip's there. They don't want to sit next to the 'normal people'. The grey sector at the end of the 100 meter line will be reserved for the press. They will have a stand like in Athens.