Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

According to the user "AATAATAATAAT" (which is our friend rav3n, I believe) on the SkyscraperCity forum, the National Stadium is 69.2 metres (227 ft.) high:

Scroll to posting #554

When I see the picture from the outside of the stadium (posting #553), it appears to me that in the centre of the stadium, the roof's height is reduced by about a quarter. So it's probably still 52 metres (170 ft.) high at that point. And at the picture above, just compare the roof's height to the height of the people running on the track: Assuming that those people measure more than two feet, there's no way that the roof above them is only 95 feet high.

Oh, OK. Since you/AT&T seem to have the actual dimensions, then I stand corrected.

It can be pratical if the cauldron is digital to make it more enviromentally friendly. The idea of smoky type cauldron, in this time that the green house effect is having untold skeptical feeling of fear in most of us, would be primitive.

James, when they rewrite the Olympic Charter, perhaps they will contact you for your input.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I absolutely don't expect it to be the cauldron tower. And that's actually all I have to say about that.

Don't crap your pants, everyone, this could be anything! But if you ask me, I would guess they're setting up the suspended cauldron's support because (1) where it sits on the stadiums (on a corne

It can be pratical if the cauldron is digital to make it more enviromentally friendly. The idea of smoky type cauldron, in this time that the green house effect is having untold skeptical feeling of fear in most of us, would be primitive.

Digital? Maybe to show the flame inside the stadium:P

But there was a picture, I don't know where I saw it, where the cauldron was hanging between the roof in the middle of the stadium. Could be an interesting idea.

But there was a picture, I don't know where I saw it, where the cauldron was hanging between the roof in the middle of the stadium. Could be an interesting idea.

Discussed and dickered to death already -- I think earlier in this thread. The (my) consensus is that's how they might just do it for the Opening Ceremony; but the flame will have to be transferred to an outside tower the night after. Some here are holding out for an inside tower a la Seoul. Kinda risky and already dopne before I say.

It's like the eggs won't be able to provide enough light to illuminate the Bird nest area. The one on the photo is not bright enough for the surrounding.

If the lighting really doesn't look up to par right now (personally, it's probably the camera), then I'm sure it'll be just fine in time for any upcoming events that it'll host at night. And you can guarantee that it'll be perfect for the night of August 8th and the following two weeks as well.

What night lights are you guys talking about? It's a stadium FGS! It's not your living room where you have to have perfect lighting. The action is going to be on the field. Since when are the audience areas lit 100%?``:rolleyes:

On another note: that's the 'thickest' stadium ceiling I have seen. Must be like 20 ft. thick. And the noise in that stadium will be defeaning not unless that entire ceiling is very sound-absorbent.

What night lights are you guys talking about? It's a stadium FGS! It's not your living room where you have to have perfect lighting. The action is going to be on the field. Since when are the audience areas lit 100%?``:rolleyes:

I believe they are talking about those egg lights which have been installed on the Olympic Green.

200841217234847899yb7.jpg

20084151545987814nw9.jpg

Does anyone know if it's an IAAF requirment to have some of the tracked surface painted green or some other color, like this?

Well, wouldn't a red track be overkill? Red seats, red outfits probably for the hosts and hostesses, and than a 'red track'? Didn't they sort of promise a 'green Olympics'? So, a green track; nobody's tried it yet. With London's crazy colors, we still might see a pink track there!!

(That "M" reminds me of the logo of Merritt (sp?) Oil.)

Does anyone know if it's an IAAF requirment to have some of the tracked surface painted green or some other color, like this?

I don't know of any such requirements -- as far as I know, the IAAF had no problem with the blue track at Berlin's Olympic Stadium either.

But I hope that the track's surrounding surface is not finalised yet and will have a different colour. Otherwise, I'd think that the organisers are a little bit too obsessed with red. I like it better when the different parts of the field can be clearly distinguished -- that's why I especially liked the colour scheme of Stadium Australia, where they chose yellow instead of red for the jumping/throwing areas of the infield:

sydney019.jpg

The National Stadium was featured in a video of the Chinese national anthem played on Hong Kong TV before the evening news.

Click and look clsoely at 0:31!

So what? It's a video from September 2007 with pictures of the National Stadium under construction. If we wanted to see dated pictures, we could as well look at the first pages of this thread.

But I hope that the track's surrounding surface is not finalised yet and will have a different colour. Otherwise, I'd think that the organisers are a little bit too obsessed with red. I like it better when the different parts of the field can be clearly distinguished -- that's why I especially liked the colour scheme of Stadium Australia, where they chose yellow instead of red for the jumping/throwing areas of the infield:

Yeah, that's exactly what I would like to see in the 'Bird's Nest' as well. I suppose if it is completely finished for this weekend’s event then we’ll know then. Though granted, it’s only a walking competition, so they won’t necessarily need to have all the areas of the field finished.

LOTS of new pictures today. Most noteably of the stadium's interior halls:

93670243la3.png

200841616274075538pi0.jpg

200841616274015498xf1.jpg

200841616274015881bi8.jpg

200841616283767640dt0.jpg

^By this picture, it’s now clear that the stadium's bottom tier and field are sunken below ground level, just like London’s, Athens’, and Sydney’s stadium.

200841616283754574vm9.jpg

200841616283762793px4.jpg

200841616283792754qo5.jpg

200841616302279342ul5.jpg

200841616302265127bv5.jpg