Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

I just saw at gettyimages.com a few pictures made in the olympic green.

It shows sculptures and a very Chinese arch. Never seen before, realy very nice.

I still don't know how to show the gettyimages.com pictures here, maybe somebody could help me?

Because those are 'dynamic' images, I think you will first have to copy them onto YOUR network; save it in your folders; then maybe load them onto 'photobucket' or 'snapfish'; AND THEN copy - paste the URLs here. Kind of a long, laborious process.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

<snip...>

Now to the big question:

With all these pictures of the stadium why hasn't anyone gone into the restrooms to find out if the squatter toilet problem has been fixed and taken pictures?

I'd like to put this to rest once and for all. I've attended 5 different events in the Birds Nest this year, on both the first and second floors (tiers). And believe you me, peed plenty of times all over the stadium....uh, in the Ladies Toilet facilities of course. Each toilet area is huge, with maybe 40-50 stalls each. And most of those are WESTERN toilets--I'd say maybe only 1/3 are squatters. For those of you unfamiliar with Asia, squatters are frankly, more hygienic to use in a public facility, and I personally prefer them even though I'm a westerner. What's not to like? I don't know about the mens, as you guys need fewer toilets to begin with. Wall urinals are wall urinals for taking care of that business. The most offputting thing about the restrooms is that the walls are completely painted in black, except for the inside of the toilet stalls themselves, which are painted bright red-orange like the red you see on the outside of the stadium. In close quarters, this effect is quite off-putting. It really does make you want to hurry up and get out of there.

I think this entire toilet issue at the major venues (Nest, Cube, NIS) has been caused by a bit of irresponsible journalism a few months back. I suspect said journalist saw a squatter or two, and didn't bother to do a good check of the entire restroom and other restrooms, to see all the western toilets. Must have been a male journalist. :lol:

I'd like to put this to rest once and for all. I've attended 5 different events in the Birds Nest this year, on both the first and second floors (tiers). And believe you me, peed plenty of times all over the stadium....uh, in the Ladies Toilet facilities of course. Each toilet area is huge, with maybe 40-50 stalls each. And most of those are WESTERN toilets--I'd say maybe only 1/3 are squatters. For those of you unfamiliar with Asia, squatters are frankly, more hygienic to use in a public facility, and I personally prefer them even though I'm a westerner. What's not to like? I don't know about the mens, as you guys need fewer toilets to begin with. Wall urinals are wall urinals for taking care of that business. The most offputting thing about the restrooms is that the walls are completely painted in black, except for the inside of the toilet stalls themselves, which are painted bright red-orange like the red you see on the outside of the stadium. In close quarters, this effect is quite off-putting. It really does make you want to hurry up and get out of there.

I think this entire toilet issue at the major venues (Nest, Cube, NIS) has been caused by a bit of irresponsible journalism a few months back. I suspect said journalist saw a squatter or two, and didn't bother to do a good check of the entire restroom and other restrooms, to see all the western toilets. Must have been a male journalist. :lol:

squatters are frankly, more hygienic to use in a public facility, I agree with you

Sorry, here's the big one:

81732086py4.jpg

I have been away for a week and just seen this pic, not sure if someone has suggested this as I cant be arsed to read all the way back but this is my thought. The actual cauldron is the bit nearest the edge of the roof this will in my opinion pivot until its upright on a hinge and overhang the stadium roof edge. But I think there is a secondary bit up there that will be lit from somewhere then move forward on a track, maybe this will look like a pheonix, this will travel forward and light the cauldron then move back to be removed leaving the actual cauldron burning. Has someone suggested this? Sorry if so, does it make sense?

And believe you me, peed plenty of times all over the stadium....

I think that is kind of rude, peeing all over the stadium. :lol:

*Whew* I feel much better that the toilet situation was addressed.

20087511181721794.jpg

Yikes! For a second there I thought I was looking at a repeat of Atlanta's cauldron tower!

I have been away for a week and just seen this pic, not sure if someone has suggested this as I cant be arsed to read all the way back but this is my thought. The actual cauldron is the bit nearest the edge of the roof this will in my opinion pivot until its upright on a hinge and overhang the stadium roof edge. But I think there is a secondary bit up there that will be lit from somewhere then move forward on a track, maybe this will look like a pheonix, this will travel forward and light the cauldron then move back to be removed leaving the actual cauldron burning. Has someone suggested this? Sorry if so, does it make sense?

Well we do know it's on the edge of the roof. And yes, more or less, the basics of the hinge theory (the cauldron will be tilted upwards on a hinge, with some of it hanging over the roof's rim) can be said to be the general prediction on this board, at this point at least.

79216365vp5.png

;)

Four pages of pictures of the Olympic Park can be viewed here: http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/venues/...214439881.shtml

Thanks a lot.

I also saw this. Gettyimages.com has a lot of pictures from during the opening, also inside the IBC/MPC. Also pictures of the olympic lanes in Beijing and banners in the city and sculptures can be found. It's a beautiful look of the games for so far I can see now.

I don't know how it will be in the venues, but maybe screenshots from the video game will do to see this now already.

I like the "lucky cloud" design, but I hate what they are doing with those color gradients over the pattern, especially the blue-to-green-to-yellow. Here's an example: http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/180/81853409zg5.jpg

They should always limit the gradients for each individual banner, fence, flag, etc. to the set of a 'core/primary color' and its subsidiary colors show on Beijing's website:

redau7.pngyellowcc6.pnggreenbv3.pngbluebi8.pnggreydr1.png

They did that with green on the far left of the IBC in the picture in the post above.

I'm actually wondering about something with the cauldron. It looks for the pictures that it could be designed in a spiral rather than a conventional bowl cauldron. We saw a similar design with the "French Fry Box" in Atlanta and I wonder if that's what Beijing is thinking here: have the cauldron elevate as the runner approaches, then light the base and have the flame spiral up the cauldron leaving the whole thing lit.

Fits with the "cloud" theme too, given it will be layered.

We'll know soon enough!

I could be wrong, but it looks like that the cauldron is not there anymore:

48203535ym8.png

Maybe they slid it into the inflatable structure, only to slide it back to the rim and tilt it upwards at tomorrow’s rehearsal (basically testing the cauldron-set up), and then hide it again until the night of the OC (or probably test it a few more times).

I could be wrong, but it looks like that the cauldron is not there anymore:

48203535ym8.png

Maybe they slid it into the inflatable structure, only to slide it back to the rim and tilt it upwards at tomorrow’s rehearsal (basically testing the cauldron-set up), and then hide it again until the night of the OC (or probably test it a few more times).

Obviously, it's fully encloaked in its 'hangar' now.

Of course, what would be most embarrassing would be is when they deflate the 'hangar' come 08/08, and then probably, just leave it on the roof deflated for the night, and then the fireworks start -- and the damned thing is NOT fireproof, you'd have this huge fire going on there -- competing with the cauldron!!

Not going to happen,

How do you know? <_<

Stranger things have happened.

The Queen Elizabeth I sank in Hong Kong harbor because some Chinese salvage laborers were cooking their meals over an open flame on the deck; a fire ensued, and the vessel sank into HKG harbor. Chinese workers have been known to be careless when it comes to fire.

Jeez... You know that I don't actually know. Why ask?

Lets be practical - they can't possibly have gap inside that roof structure for a entire cauldron. Very old construction pictures show it's all steelwork in there to support roof's massive overhang:

1_221055_1_9.jpg

And if there somehow was some room in there, aerial pictures don't show any signs of 'cut-out' or anything:

200832015213979701.jpg

Lets be practical - they can't possibly have gap inside that roof structure for a entire cauldron. Very old construction pictures show it's all steelwork in there to support roof's massive overhang:

1_221055_1_9.jpg

And if there somehow was some room in there, aerial pictures don't show any signs of 'cut-out' or anything:

200832015213979701.jpg

Exactly, it's too risky in terms of the security concern.

1_221055_1_9.jpg

200832015213979701.jpg

OK, I think we have a misunderstanding going on here.

I DON'T believe there is going to be a cut-out in the roof anymore at this stage -- and I have not said that in recent months.

So what are you saying?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

There's only a month left - With what've seen, we've either guessed the cauldron set-up correctly with the" slide and hinge theory" or we didn't. And I don't think we'll be able to work out the lighting scheme. Whatever, I'm tired of wrapping my head around this whole thing. :wacko: