Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

sledge4fh6.jpg

The gas will be jeted out of this part only - and it would look like something is coming out of these flames

... in Sydney was the cauldron also slid on a sledge...

Sorry CAF. So what is that supposed to be?

A giant cigar on an "ashtray"? :blink: So who will catch the 'ashes'?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

My thought on the cauldron, based on several images already posted here:

* By the shape of the visible built sections so far, it seems to me it'll be a huge scroll. Like in Athens 2004, the cauldron will be a scaled-up version of the torch itself. I believe the visible part is the base where the lighting will take place;

* The cauldron won't slide anywhere, it's alredy fixed in its final position -- this image tells me that. The hinge will allow the cauldron to elevate itself by a 90 degree-angle onto the roof rim, exposing the bottom tip to whatever the lighting mechanism will be;

* The cauldron is incomplete, perhaps only 30% built so far. When the remaining roll parts of the 'scroll' will be fitted and the whole contraption is finished, it'll stay camuflaged right up to the time when it'll "rise to the occasion".

* The cauldron won't slide anywhere, it's alredy fixed in its final position -- this image tells me that. The hinge will allow the cauldron to elevate itself by a 90 degree-angle onto the roof rim, exposing the bottom tip to whatever the lighting mechanism will be;

Maybe, but I don't think there's anything to suggest that the "hinge" won't slide with the cauldron. If anything, other pictures show that this "hinge" isn't directly anchored onto the roof, but attached somehow to a (moveable?) platform.

No "special" surface for the Opening Ceremony, it seems.

How do you know? It's way too early to know that. Well, with the stage there -- there won't be one over the stage but I believe there will be one covering the track. And because of rehearsals, it really won't come into play until about 2 weeks or so before OC. That's about the time we had to deal with the field cover for Atlanta.

I thought that it will be a phoenix, which is above the fire...

I wonder just just now if a gas flame has "ashes"..

Was not being literal. But I don't really see how it will 'overhang' the way you have it. I don't believe the fires marshalls nor the IOC would allow it. What if it gets unhinged in an earthquake? Then it falls directly onto the track or the field.

Was not being literal. But I don't really see how it will 'overhang' the way you have it. I don't believe the fires marshalls nor the IOC would allow it. What if it gets unhinged in an earthquake? Then it falls directly onto the track or the field.

well - then they would be not a "dove-barbeque" like in Seoul but another one...

;)

mhh - you are right, baron - they won't allow it - too dangerous.

How do you know? It's way too early to know that. Well, with the stage there -- there won't be one over the stage but I believe there will be one covering the track. And because of rehearsals, it really won't come into play until about 2 weeks or so before OC. That's about the time we had to deal with the field cover for Atlanta.

I said it seems like it. In the first pic, you can see they have some equipment laid out - looks like special lighting that's going to be placed on ground-level, just like Athens had, so I figured they'd do that after installing the surface. But yeah, they would probably covered any of the surface later and if they do, it doesn’t necessarily have to cover the entire surface either (like Athens’ lake).

But what would it be? There isn't really any special Chinese connection to the seas. Gobi Desert? Rocks? Grassy knolls?...?

I said it seems like it. In the first pic, you can see they have some equipment laid out - looks like special lighting that's going to be placed on ground-level, just like Athens had, so I figured they'd do that after installing the surface. But yeah, they would probably covered any of the surface later and if they do, it doesn’t necessarily have to cover the entire surface either (like Athens’ lake).

But what would it be? There isn't really any special Chinese connection to the seas. Gobi Desert? Rocks? Grassy knolls?...?

Actually from the other pics, it seems they've already covered the nonstage-track areas.

Maybe it doesn't have to be anything. Just a clean floor covering. The point is to hide the track since, other than the marching in portion, that is unnecessary for the artistic portions of the Ceremony.

Maryjane, and how different are those photos from hundreds of others already posted? <_<

I'm getting pretty sick of that stadium already.

There's no chance that you're this miserable in real life. At least, I hope not.

I'm sure it's terribly inconvenient for you to have to scroll past pictures of the stadium. If you don't want to see the pictures, don't read the thread.

I'm sure it's terribly inconvenient for you to have to scroll past pictures of the stadium. If you don't want to see the pictures, don't read the thread.

Oh please - same old 'skip the thread' story. :( We've also heard that one before. It's just a stupid waste of bandwidth.

Edited by baron-pierreIV