Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

If it will be two birds we have to see in coming weeks also on the other side a strange thing.

But I think the two birds on that picture are only a nice commercial creation for that company because the name of the stadium is Bird's Nest.

I think if they really had two birds/phoenixes sitting on the roof, they would start to build the second one already now, too. Why should they wait with the second one? It needs to be finished in time and thoroughly tested, too.

I think if they really had two birds/phoenixes sitting on the roof, they would start to build the second one already now, too. Why should they wait with the second one? It needs to be finished in time and thoroughly tested, too.

I know. I'm kidding (as always). I think it will be only one. But maybe it'll "walk" around the roof rim so it can be seen by everyone present? :)

Some people post here somtetimes pictures from the National Stadium. They find it on the internet. But how and where do you find it?

I believe that they usually find them in the Beijing Olympic Stadium thread of the SkyscraperCity forum:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.p...068&page=42

Yep, that thread or this one on SC's "General Development" forum.

If it will be two birds we have to see in coming weeks also on the other side a strange thing.

But I think the two birds on that picture are only a nice commercial creation for that company because the name of the stadium is Bird's Nest.

My thoughts exactly. And I'm not entirely convinced that Beijing's cauldron will be a bird of any kind. The lighting may have a phoenix theme, but I can't imagine them being able to pull of off a bird-shaped cauldron without it looking tacky, if not very predictable.

Yep, that thread or this one on SC's "General Development" forum.

My thoughts exactly. And I'm not entirely convinced that Beijing's cauldron will be a bird of any kind. The lighting may have a phoenix theme, but I can't imagine them being able to pull of off a bird-shaped cauldron without it looking tacky, if not very predictable.

I think you might be in the right direction there. A phoenix story just for the Lighting, and then maybe take down the whole bird contraption after the Opening, and the flame left in a simple cauldron (which could've disguised as the beak/mouth) -- because it would be just too distracting during T&F to have this weird sculpture up there? That's just my guess -- unless there is going to another elaborate 'theme' for the snuffing out of the Flame on the 24th.

A semi-realistic (I think at least) prediction, barring any other clues pop up:

The final torch bearer approaches the whole/stage in the middle. A phoenix rises from the whole in the middle. The torch bearer lights the phoenix’s back. The phoenix then ascends into air, very similar to the

, but faster. The phoenix lands in the cauldron on the roof, completely erupting into flames and thus completely lighting the cauldron. Then at the Closing Ceremony, the phoenix emerges from the cauldron, again with it's back carrying the flame. It flys away, leaving the cauldron flameless.

That's not the cauldron tower. It's a broadcast tower with studios inside of it.

I know, that's not the point.

Before somebody posted here a picture and I said that tower was so close to the stadium. The writer said it was only so on that picture, in reality it was not so close.

And on this picture it is clear the tower is not close to the stadium.

I have some beautiful pictures. And it's confirmed it's the cauldron on the roof.

The pictures are from gettyimages.com

I try to put the pictures here. But it don't work until now.

Try to find it on www.gettyimages.com

search term is national stadium beijing.

Maybe others know a way to show it here.

I wonder if GettyImages assumed it that it was the "Beijing Olympic Torch Tower" when they were writing the photo descriptions or did they get some sort of official confirmation...?

GettyImages is the official photographer for the Olympic Games... see this link: http://en.beijing2008.cn/photo/n214088341.shtml

Maybe they know more because of that.

And here's a close-up:

81732086py4.th.jpg

It looks as if it sits directly at the rim of the roof, so that it could possibly be flipped upwards indeed. But although they have partially deflated that "plastic hangar" around it, it doesn't look complete. But it also doesn't look like a bird or phoenix yet. Perhaps it really "only" resembles a scroll or something inanimate like that.

GettyImages is the official photographer for the Olympic Games... see this link: http://en.beijing2008.cn/photo/n214088341.shtml

Maybe they know more because of that.

well, the funny thing is why would they be photographing something that's meant to be 'Top Secret" in their official capacity? That doesn't make sense.

I think this is going to be one hoary production we've never seen. But I think from the look of that, it's going to be more like a giant egg roll/candle wick. And I think, somewhat like Athens' reefer, once it's lit, it will also flip up to a vertical position on the fulcrum.

But they're going to have to remove those coverings soon to test the fulcrum. So those would be the photos to watch out for.

I'll try to do a rendering if I have time.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

And here's a close-up:

81732086py4.th.jpg

It looks as if it sits directly at the rim of the roof, so that it could possibly be flipped upwards indeed. But although they have partially deflated that "plastic hangar" around it, it doesn't look complete. But it also doesn't look like a bird or phoenix yet. Perhaps it really "only" resembles a scroll or something inanimate like that.

Still believe it must be any kind of traditional legends relates to the concept of ''Bird Nest''. That's what it exactly been told by an insider of the construction work. Maybe just's a fire work installation.

well, the funny thing is why would they be photographing something that's meant to be 'Top Secret" in their official capacity? That doesn't make sense.

I think this is going to be one hoary production we've never seen. But I think from the look of that, it's going to be more like a giant egg roll/candle wick. And I think, somewhat like Athens' reefer, once it's lit, it will also flip up to a vertical position on the fulcrum.

But they're going to have to remove those coverings soon to test the fulcrum. So those would be the photos to watch out for.

I'll try to do a rendering if I have time.

I don't think it's going to flip up to a vertical position. Now there's a possibility to see the flame in the stadium and outside the stadium. If it's going to flip up not in the stadium anymore.