Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

I was looking through some photos of the stadium, and realized that probably a majority of the ticket-paying public (the northern and eastern side of the stadium, and a good amount of the 3rd tier) won't be able to see the cauldron lit on the night of the OC because of how big the roof is. Here’s some actual perspective from the inside: http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/139/cauldrongm4.png Also, I noticed that they already had some sort of base or support on the roof by the time of the test events: http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8403/20...96177ww3rk5.jpg

I was looking through some photos of the stadium, and realized that probably a majority of the ticket-paying public (the northern and eastern side of the stadium, and a good amount of the 3rd tier) won't be able to see the cauldron lit on the night of the OC because of how big the roof is. Here’s some actual perspective from the inside: http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/139/cauldrongm4.png Also, I noticed that they already had some sort of base or support on the roof by the time of the test events: http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8403/20...96177ww3rk5.jpg

I've been saying that all along. That a good 2/5ths of the Stadium will not be able to fully see:

a. the fireworks; and

b. whatever cauldron thingy they are going to have on the roof. That's just the nature of the roofed stadia.

Just like I believe 1/4th or 1/5th of the Communale stadium in Torino had their backs to the Cauldron-Tower, so they too, were denied seeing it lit live.

Moral: don't forget your cellphones so you can at least see it there, even if you're already in the stadium!! :lol:

And the way they have whatever...that Phoenix thingy there (...BRILLIANT IDEA: why don't they get Joaquin Phoenix to light the damn thing? :lol::lol: ) I think it's going to be on the left hand side of the Tribune (or the VIP and Press boxes) -- so you're just outta luck if you got seats underneath that thing.

Maybe enough people will write the IOC and petition/sue to get their money back or a portion of it -- for not seeing the whole show!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Of course. It's obvious that not everyone was going to be able to see it or the fireworks. Everyone was saying that when the cauldron's position was being speculated on. But, what I was getting at was that it may actually be a majority of the stadium, not just the area right under it. The press at the broadcasting section of the bottom tier, IOC and Chinese officials, world leaders, etc., however, will obviously have a great view of the thing.

Just like I believe 1/4th or 1/5th of the Delle Alpi stadium in Torino had their backs to the Cauldron-Tower, so they too, were denied seeing it lit live.

Hmmm, since the ceremony did not take place at Stadium Delle Alpi, I think it's safe to say that 100% of whoever was in that stadium that night didn't see the cauldron lightning live. :P

Everyone could see it if they use the big screens. Right?

If the officials and media could see it well, the place of the cauldron on this picture is the right one: http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/139/cauldrongm4.png

Thanks NY20??

This is the first time they want to show the cauldron also outside the stadium in a stadium with a roof. In Seoul and before they just had a cauldron inside the stadium.

From Barcelona nog stadium had all over the stadium a roof.

This is the first time they want to show the cauldron also outside the stadium in a stadium with a roof.

Yeah that's true, and come to think of it, the media will have a very nice, live shot of the stadium and the flame as a background if their broadcasting from the recently finished Ling-Long Pagoda. I know the BBC will have a studio up there, not sure about NBC or anyone else.

Yeah that's true, and come to think of it, the media will have a very nice, live shot of the stadium and the flame as a background if their broadcasting from the recently finished Ling-Long Pagoda. I know the BBC will have a studio up there, not sure about NBC or anyone else.

Do you know how many studios will be there in that tower?

None -- to continue jeremie's wise-ass trend. :angry: It will be just a TRANSMITTING tower. I don't believe it would house 'live' studios. And probably the master feed will emit from there.

It will not be just a transmitting tower. If you read the link just given by NY20?? you'll see at the website of Beijing Olympic Broadcasting it's a oppurtunity for broadcasters to have a magnifecent view.. so they're allowed to be in that tower and to film.

It will not be just a transmitting tower. If you read the link just given by NY20?? you'll see at the website of Beijing Olympic Broadcasting it's a oppurtunity for broadcasters to have a magnifecent view.. so they're allowed to be in that tower and to film.

U're right. My bad. I really didn't read the article. I don't read many links. Too much info sometimes.

Back to the original question as who will get to braodcast from there. The article says the Rights-Holders -- so NBC and the like. All the networks that paid for the exclusive TV rights for their respective territories. And I guess after the local Chinese netwrok, NBC of course would have the next pick of which floor to broadcast from, etc., etc.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I don't know for sure, but each level looks like it only has enough floor space to accomodate one studio (maybe two at the most). More info can be found here, towards the bottom of the page: http://www.bob2008.com/news_updates.html#rwaov

well the bbc has said that they will have their studio there - there are come pics on the bbc website somewhere - would post the link but am off to bed!

Beijing Olympic opening ceremony to stage full dress rehearsal in July

www.chinaview.cn 2008-01-08 21:55:43 Print

BEIJING, Jan. 8 (Xinhua) -- The first full dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics will be held on July 10 at the National Stadium, according to an announcement posted on the official website of the Beijing Organizing Committee on Monday.

Wang Ning, deputy director of the department in charge of the opening and closing ceremonies, said rehearsals for the opening ceremony would begin on March 1 and will be moved into the "Bird's Nest" on June 10.

"We want to create pomp with extraordinary Chinese features, fueled by hi-tech effects and audience interaction," said Jiang Xiaoyu, the Beijing Organizing Committee's executive vice president.

He denied claims that Beijing is intent on surpassing Athens' three-hour epic lauded by many as "the best opening ceremony ever".

The organizing committee also said it had employed the second batch of 75 experts and performers to work at its operations center of opening and closing ceremonies.

Chinese film director Zhang Yimou, who is masterminding the 2008 Olympics opening and closing ceremonies, has said the ceremony will last about three and a half hours.

Zhang, one of China's most respected directors, is best known for his films "Raise the Red Lantern," "Hero" and "House of Flying Daggers". He has won the Jury Grand Prize at the Cannes Film Festival and has twice taken the Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival.

The organizing committee has also invited Hollywood director Steven Spielberg, Australian Ric Birch and Frenchman Yves Pepin to be artistic consultants for the opening ceremony.

Editor: Sun Yunlong

BEIJING, Jan. 8 (Xinhua) -- The first full dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics will be held on July 10 at the National Stadium, according to an announcement posted on the official website of the Beijing Organizing Committee on Monday.

Wang Ning, deputy director of the department in charge of the opening and closing ceremonies, said rehearsals for the opening ceremony would begin on March 1 and will be moved into the "Bird's Nest" on June 10.

So now the National Stadium will be closed until the opening ceremony I think.

I hope July 10 there could be some pictures from the light effects and so on for the dress rehearsal.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/official/pre...214418132.shtml

Here I see a few pictures from inside the National stadium ( as of Jun. 24).

A lot of lights (I don't know if it is more now) is what I see. Nothing about the strange thing on the roof. I think the pictures are specially taken this way.

A lot of lights (I don't know if it is more now) is what I see. Nothing about the strange thing on the roof. I think the pictures are specially taken this way.

Unfortunately, no, that special lighting for the ceremonies has always been there.

However, it appears that they are standing on some kind of white surface: http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/2924/img214418144hx1.jpg Maybe that big, rectangular stage that we've seen before?

And you can actually see the structure on the roof in one picture, in the upper right-hand corner: http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9678/img214418145ri7.jpg It could definitely be the glare in the photo, but the rolled-up, funnel thing doesn’t look like it's there.

In the last photo -- all those suits and only ONE woman! Looks like it's still an old boys' club!!

Actually, already Helsinki 1952 and Innsbruck 1976 had two flames.

Innsbruck I know, but I was not thinking about it when I put the message here.

In Innsbruck it was because it were the second Winter Games there.

Why in Helsinki? One in the marathon tower and one down in the stadium?

I think, both birds will not emit the flames at the same time, it is possible that they will ignite one by one, in a rythemic action continuously for the all 16 days. So that people from every corner of the stadium can see the flame and in this manner IOC will not raise objection of two flame at a time.

NOTE [My comment is based upon my personal imagination and interest, I hereby respect the privacy of BOCOG and ceremonies team.]