Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

20085218455684379pm1.jpg

I now highly doubt that they're going to paint those areas around the track green or yellow like mentioned before. So it does look like it's going to remain very red, which I guess is appropriate, to say the least.

20085218455684379pm1.jpg

I now highly doubt that they're going to paint those areas around the track green or yellow like mentioned before. So it does look like it's going to remain very red, which I guess is appropriate, to say the least.

Well, or they could still cover it with a large canvas tarp as they did for Barcelona, Atlanta and Sydney.

^I don't mean for the Ceremonies, I mean the non-track and field areas:

sydney019.jpg

^Note the green and yellow - areas for the long, triple, and high jumps, javelin throw, discuss cage, etc...

An all red paint-job suits the Bird's Nest better anyways, as it work's well with the 'fade from red to white' pattern that the seats have, and not to mention the rest of the stadium… let alone China. :blink:

The tracks need to be given a bright color to help athletes keep to thier various path.

The tracks need to be given a bright color to help athletes keep to thier various path.

That's what the white lines are for. In fact, the colour of the tracks is absolutely normal. It's just not usual that the whole surrounding on the field (apart from the grass on the infield) is red as well.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do remember reading somewhere that some athletes (like gymnasts, for example) complained that Athens' use of a combination of bright colors for it's "Image and Look" at the venues caused them to become disoriented and distracted when they were performing or competing.

Anyways, a photo update:

China Athletics Open - A "Good Luck Beijing" Event

img214373438od7.jpg

img214373523yv3.jpg

20085239283699745jz5.jpg

20085231034716022sm6.jpg

200852311323172978et9.jpg

200852311314249271mp2.jpg

200852311323175976kw6.jpg

200852311332893074sg6.jpg

200852323413190437vp0.jpg

20085232341274979pt7.jpg

This is a very unique stadium.

Does anybody know the lifespan of that stadium?Cos there`s nothing going to be like it for the next 5 years.

3-1/2 years. Most bird's nests only last a season. :lol:

What`s so funny? I know what you are driving at. I am not after. I just want to know the lifespan cos I could find that on google.

This is a very unique stadium.

Does anybody know the lifespan of that stadium?Cos there`s nothing going to be like it for the next 5 years.

Architectural lifespan, you mean? I'm not sure how that can even be answered to be honest. :blink:

As for how long it will actually stand before they decided to scrap the thing - perhaps 50-100 years, tops...?

The structural lifespan of the Birds Nest could easily be 50 years or much longer. I personally would not have a problem being inside it during a major earthquake, as I'm pretty confident about the engineering and construction of it.

Most stadiums become outmoded as the sports-driven or tastes of the people change over time, typically major overhauls are done every 20 or so years. However, over shorter time frames such as every few years, smaller non-structural projects such as field or track replacement, lighting overhaul, paint jobs, support space upgrades, new seats, etc. need to be done. All stadiums are subject to this.

The structural lifespan of the Birds Nest could easily be 50 years or much longer. I personally would not have a problem being inside it during a major earthquake, as I'm pretty confident about the engineering and construction of it.

Hey, yeah i would have to agree with you on this part, though hopefully there will not be any more major earthquakes in the near future.... one is enough as it is. I guess as long as the Chinese continue to cherish their history and their newer Olympic history (that they are making right now), then the Stadium itself will be looked after for future generations to enjoy... albeit that there might be changes like you said ......

Now that the 'Hole in the Ground' is covered by grass and at least a feet of dirt, I guess there will be a change for the substrate before the opening ceremony...... which means removing the grass over the hole and then replacing it after the ceremony...... either way you look at it, its a lot of work....... :mellow:

Now that the 'Hole in the Ground' is covered by grass and at least a feet of dirt, I guess there will be a change for the substrate before the opening ceremony...... which means removing the grass over the hole and then replacing it after the ceremony...... either way you look at it, its a lot of work....... :mellow:

Well, they'll probably have plenty of time during the summer (once test events and Olympic trials are finished), perhaps a month or so, to completely change the stadium's surface (as well as add some special lighting, cameras, etc.) for the Opening Ceremony. And configuring it back to host Athletics for the Games in just a week is really nothing unheard of - Sydney and Athens had to the same (not sure about Barcelona and Atlanta, it looks like they just put a tarp or something over their track and field).