Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

It could just be a stage of some sort for Rogge and the BOCOG President to make their speeches and for the atheletes and officials to take their respective oaths, just like Athens' olive tree. So perhaps, a small pagoda?

You know, it could be, but no way. They need the center infield for the events. Kind of reminds me of the staging apparatus for the Sydney Closing Ceremonies, though.

No. These Games are going to be different. That cauldron will stay in the field and burn for the 17 days, but javelin, discus, shotput and the hammer throws will all be conducted outside!! :lol:

Thanks, NYC?? Good find.

Seriously, I think a dupe of that tower will sit outside. So people will think the entire contraption was just moved outside -- which is what I have been saying all along. From the looks of it, it's not going to float but just sit on that telescoping tower -- and then be moved off to the side or outside. So, the drama of the lighting I think will be achieved via dramatic stage lighting, music building to a crescendo, and of course, fireworks. But stage mechanics-wise, nothing new, exciting or original.

London will face the same situation if that stadium will be a full circle or oval.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Look at this pic. They have installed smaller monitors where viewing might be problematic. I think that helps a lot; and they flash scoreboard updates on those -- so everyone does not have to RELY on the 1 or 2 major scoreboards.

No, those monitors aren't really needed if you are sitting in the stands. They are primarily for the benefit of those (a) in the wheelchair area at the back of the lower tier, who may need some assistance with closeups, and (B) if you are in the concourse area, standing, walking, buying concessions, etc. The large scoreboards at each end are readily visible, but the large LED monitors next to them get washed out in sunlight.

That structure could be anything -- a stage for the speeches, a part of the scenery for the artistic programme, or a cauldron. But I'm not certain about the latter, because the dish on the top of that thing looks pretty small and unimpressive for a cauldron. Even if in that case, it would only be a temporary cauldron, they'd probably want something bigger and more prominent to increase the effect.

So I rather think that the structure will play a role at the opening ceremony segments before the cauldron lighting.

Or it could just be the rehearsal mockup and a decoy, them knowing that there will be early leaks -- "... so let's set up a decoy."

But definitely, the cauldron will rise from that hole. In that kind of a stadium, it's the cynosure of all eyes in the final moments, so that's where the cauldron will have to come out of.

Hello Everyone,

I have been observing this forum for awhile now... in particular this section of it. All I can say is that I like the stadium alot, to me its exciting and innovative. I especially find the pictures in this forum to be of great use, as I havn't seen so many good pictures of the stadium. I have been an avid fan of the Olympic movement, ever since Sydney 2000, when the Torch passed through my hometown..... and so I have followed all the games since then. My favourite would still have to be Sydney 2000 still.... (a lil' biased on this decision, I know....).

Anyways, after reading all your responses, I am just wondering what you gain from guessing about the cauldron? Even if your guess is close to being correct.... isn't it about being surprised? Whats so fun about knowing? I say just let it happen, though I myself do agree with the theory that the cauldron "might" come out of the hole in the middle. Even if the cauldron does copy a form from the past, it will still be unique, because it will still be in China. Though, the designers will definately add a touch of the Orient to it. In terms of grandness, I am sure that these games, opening cermemony will top everything in the past. Anyways, thanks to everyone for a exciting read!

Its tradition to leak the cauldron on here, we have done it for Athens and Torino, I posted a picture of the Athens' cauldron being lit before the Opening Ceremonies.

And I laid out how Gianna was going to light it. Of course, how could one know that there was the last-minute switch to Karamakamalinis or whatever his name is. Those sneaky Greeks.

Beware of Greeks bearing torches.

Well, in any case, at least the final torchbearer will be kept a secret.... unless there is another leak. As for the case of the Cauldron, I am a bit dissapointed at the organisers for allowing such a big secret go out so early...... I mean, they could at least barred camera's during that day of construction....... so in a way its a bit impossible that they would let it get out, unless they are not big on surprises anymore....

Well, in any case, at least the final torchbearer will be kept a secret.... unless there is another leak. As for the case of the Cauldron, I am a bit dissapointed at the organisers for allowing such a big secret go out so early...... I mean, they could at least barred camera's during that day of construction....... so in a way its a bit impossible that they would let it get out, unless they are not big on surprises anymore....

If you had read the discussion before, you would have noticed that it's absolutely not proven that this thing is the cauldron. It could be a ceremonial stage as well -- which is, in my opinion, far more probable than it being a cauldron.

Two reasons for that:

1) The dish on top of that structure looks too small and unimpressive for being the "flame dish" of a cauldron.

2) I don't expect the organisers to be that uncautious and leak the cauldron design already more than three months before the opening ceremony. They've made a huge secret of most of the ceremonial details so far, so they'll probably try to keep the most interesting secret -- the look of the cauldron -- concealed as long as possible.

If you had read the discussion before, you would have noticed that it's absolutely not proven that this thing is the cauldron. It could be a ceremonial stage as well -- which is, in my opinion, far more probable than it being a cauldron.

Two reasons for that:

1) The dish on top of that structure looks too small and unimpressive for being the "flame dish" of a cauldron.

2) I don't expect the organisers to be that uncautious and leak the cauldron design already more than three months before the opening ceremony. They've made a huge secret of most of the ceremonial details so far, so they'll probably try to keep the most interesting secret -- the look of the cauldron -- concealed as long as possible.

Why would you conclude so soon on that? If they say it's the cauldron so be it. Why making an hypothesis about that?

Why would you conclude so soon on that? If they say it's the cauldron so be it. Why making an hypothesis about that?

And once again you have understood nothing.

Who is "they", by the way? Do you already use the "pluralis majestatis" for Baron? He isn't that important.

Two reasons for that:

Hello, I have read all the previous posts...... The point I am getting at is "If" that thing was the Cauldron, because I also believe that they would have done a better job at keeping it a secret.... that's why I said "so in a way its a bit impossible that they would let it get out". Anyways I do agree with Barstad that alot of this is speculation.

Hello, I have read all the previous posts...... The point I am getting at is "If" that thing was the Cauldron, because I also believe that they would have done a better job at keeping it a secret.... that's why I said "so in a way its a bit impossible that they would let it get out". Anyways I do agree with Barstad that alot of this is speculation.

doesnt need a cauldron...they will set fire to Tibet for 16days.....as for doing a better job of keeping it secret maybe they a)think making it overly obvious its a cauldron people will begin to doubt it actually is or B) they already had their logo leaked, why not the cauldron too! take all the fun out of the games :)

doesnt need a cauldron...they will set fire to Tibet for 16days.....

Hah, very funny....... <_< Your missing the fact that China still regards Tibet as part of itself, and I would doubt that they would want to repeat anymore mistakes. Not with the whole world keeping an eye on them in this respect. And, no I don't like how China has acted over Tibet, I like the Olympics in general.

Ummm, which logo are you referring to? You don't mean there's a Cauldron Logo do you?

1) He isn't that important.

Get with it, commoner. :P

Anyway re that cauldron; of course, it wouldn't be the final one at this time.

1. That is an early cauldron/apparatus mock-up. I am sure they were doing some early testing of the mechanism. If it were a gold-plated cauldron or something final, it could be damaged during rehearsals, or vandalized or stolen.

2. If it will 'rise,' it will likely be of a different design. And

3. As I said, the FINAL cauldron will be outside (or one to the side) -- so we won't see that version until after August 10.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 3 weeks later...