Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

Well, where else is it going to go/come out of? Plus, they are NOT going to leave it hanging in the air vis-a-vis those earlier 'sneak' renderings. It is too dangerous and distracting, and certainly the IOC would not allow it.

The IOC already allowed to light the Torino cauldron with fireworks. And they allowed yet another global torch relay, not realising what potential for protests that created. So frankly I wouldn't bet a dime on what that bunch of "I don't care as long the money flows in" pinheads think about the ceremonial details.

The other alternative is doing an interior 'Seoul' thing. But it's been done already;

A cauldron tower has also been done already. So where's the beef? And what is spectacular about a cauldron tower "switched on" overnight, without the attention of the major public?

lets face it, they let the sydney organisers away with the most elaborate yet lighting sequence, and also the wee fact that Cathy Freeman was standing in the middle of the cauldron at the start of it.......

wouldnt surprise me if Beijing are going to go full throttle to make that seem mundane in comparrison

A cauldron tower has also been done already. And what is spectacular about a cauldron tower "switched on" overnight, without the attention of the major public?

#1 - Look at the depth of the canopy-overhang!! No matter how high or low the flame will be in relation to that if it were to sit on the rim of the field a la Seoul, a lot of heat will be collected in the ceiling...not to mention not knowing which way the wind blows.

#2 - With all the now-u-see-it/now-you-dont going on with the O flame; why should an overnight switch from the 'floating' pot to an outside cauldron tower be so surprising? :blink: All the bait-and-switch m.o.'s they're doing with the flame seems to me like practice for the overnight Ceremonial switch.

#3 - Who's to say they won't hold another little ceremony outside for the NON-PAYING public to witness the transfer of the flame? Beijing has been holding all these lavish ceremonies for the slightest excuse (the quick touching down of the flame on Chinese soil and then out again; 1 year out; 100 days out; etc.), what should another little ceremony there on Olympic Park matter? <_<

Yeah, Torino lit it from within -- who's objecting to that? All I'm saying is that the Chinese would do it differently, lighting it in the stadium, keeping it there overnight -- and then just move it out BECAUSE the stadium structure does NOT seem to allow it -- and that is PER the IOC's own Charter "where the stadium structure allows for it." Not unless the Chinese tear out a whole section of the stadium between now and 08/08/08 to REALLY surprise us with a cauldron. :blink:

As I said, bite me hard if I'm wrong.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The whole thing is going on well as planned but, I think the Bird Nest and its surroundings need good lighting.

It doesn't look like it has a good scoreboard.

I've been thinking on the same, the screen just not convince me at all. Just to point something it looks similar like the Atlanta 96 one (scoreboard and digital screen together)

The performers pics on the stadium are interesting. Of course what we will see in August 8 will be far more better.

they certainly have muffed the score board and infield situation thus far. If they plan to keep the infield like that with a few rows of potted flowers following the games i dont think i'd want to attend any athletics there. get some friging grass down you twat.

they certainly have muffed the score board and infield situation thus far. If they plan to keep the infield like that with a few rows of potted flowers following the games i dont think i'd want to attend any athletics there. get some friging grass down you twat.

There will be some grass (it could be installed after the opening ceremony though, which would avoid to ruin it).

lol - then we can prepare us ourselves to watch slipping referees (e.g. at javelin) on rolled sods, which haven't been fixed enough!

Am pretty sure that ACOG had to replace the infield after the Atlanta 96 opening ceremony as the grass got cut up so much. Big part of the reason why the performers weren't allowed onto the field for final rehersal for the closing ceremony too.

I remember watching a documentry about the Atlanta games on the BBC just after the games finished, on the programme they showed you alot of behind the scenes parts of the opening ceremony and operational side of the games.

Interestingly after the opening ceremony they did have to replace turf on the infield but they also had to paint the grass as well as it wasnt knitting tpgether fast enough and there were still patches where speakers and other peices of kit had sat on the grass flattening it and turning it brown

lol - then we can prepare us ourselves to watch slipping referees (e.g. at javelin) on rolled sods, which haven't been fixed enough!

i'd be more worried about the football final and for the safety of chinese streakers that may choose to invade the infield. I can understand why nothing has been put down before the opening ceremony, but surely having grass that holds and grows in more important than a few bumps as people dance on surface above....I'm sure they know what they're doing but i dont see the being any great emphasis on the surface, like there was in Sydney with its dusty outback look and Athens clean sharp whites, black and stadium water feature.

Will be interesting to see what the surface will be like come opening ceremony.

I guess we will get a ground cover (blue in barcelona and atlanta, ochre in sydney). or it will look like a different theatrical space, sucha s in Athens. Surely they won't just have a grass and track such as Seoul and LA.

i'd be more worried about the football final and for the safety of chinese streakers that may choose to invade the infield. I can understand why nothing has been put down before the opening ceremony, but surely having grass that holds and grows in more important than a few bumps as people dance on surface above....I'm sure they know what they're doing but i dont see the being any great emphasis on the surface, like there was in Sydney with its dusty outback look and Athens clean sharp whites, black and stadium water feature.

I remember a Davis Cup tennis match in which one player ran over the field and the roll covering wasn't really fixed and nearly the half field slipped away and the player fall on his back...

:o:o:o

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I remember watching a documentry about the Atlanta games on the BBC just after the games finished, on the programme they showed you alot of behind the scenes parts of the opening ceremony and operational side of the games.

Interestingly after the opening ceremony they did have to replace turf on the infield but they also had to paint the grass as well as it wasnt knitting tpgether fast enough and there were still patches where speakers and other peices of kit had sat on the grass flattening it and turning it brown

And this was in an open-air stadium. What more in the heavily-covered Birds Nest? They didn't even let the Australian contingent practice there at Turner Field. Birch and his troupe had to rehearse at UGA in the Athens campus for their handover segment.

I'm sure they've bred some super-strong natural turf for the stadium. But does the IAAF require natural grass? I mean there aren't any running or tacking events taking place in the infield. All you get are those javelin stab marks and shotput / hammer indentantions which of course would heavily dent the new hard stage over there. :lol:

The Chinese Athletics team will hold their Olympic Trials in the stadium So, I would assume that they would have to place in the grass (or some other suitable material that meets IAAF requirements) for the Javelin, Hammer, Discus, and the Shot Put.

The Chinese Athletics team will hold their Olympic Trials in the stadium So, I would assume that they would have to place in the grass (or some other suitable material that meets IAAF requirements) for the Javelin, Hammer, Discus, and the Shot Put.

I guess it's going to have to be at least a 6-inch deep sod of some sort to protect the infield stage surface.

New pic:

200842117112288749lw9.jpg

I’m pretty sure this picture was taken before the weekend's test event, as the track does not appear to be finish and those light pieces that hang from the rim of the roof are being put together.

And some great photography of Beijing's 'Olympic Green' here: toomanytribbles' Photostream at Flickr.com

Strange structure. possibly related to the cauldron? We'll never know XD