Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

I thought I should share this...

Someone found new devices installed on the roof and gave a rendering in imagination.

You could also imagine how they will be used.

200821622484376300.jpg

20082181412788571.jpg

20082181749372941.jpg

200821818133187847.jpg

Link: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.p...068&page=19

Again, it's not official or anything, just someone's idea on what those new things on the roof could be used for, probably with this cauldron debate in mind.

But they're just on side of the roof, aren't they? That thing doesn't show they're on both sides.

Plus, why seven (7) (if they are winches of some sort) close together and then 2 or 3 at the ends? Shouldn't it at least be 8 -- in keeping with the Lucky 8 theme of the event?

Can't tell yet what those really are. If they're up by July 8/08, then I'll be convinced that they could be for a 'hanging' cauldron.

• 2 weeks later...

And have a look at the last of the three pictures. There you can see that those mysterious "tubes" they put on the roof are obviously used for holding wires only (with which they'll probably move some ceremonial probs around, just like in Athens).

And have a look at the last of the three pictures. There you can see that those mysterious "tubes" they put on the roof are obviously used for holding wires only (with which they'll probably move some ceremonial probs around, just like in Athens).

Yeah, I saw those (shall we say?) "winches" on there. However, they are on the far end of the oval as opposed to the shorter sides; so... I think they are wind-props/turbines to show the IOC and the world that they are very 'green'-conscious. :D Or communications antennae (for Wifi) for the press and Results sections?

Seriously though, I think it is too early (except for what's in the field) to put up any Ceremonial rigging, until all construction is done PLUS, won't China have its Olympic trials there first, maybe around June? So they can't quite rig the whole stadium now for the events of 08/08/08 until after that.

[in Atlanta, the stadium was turned over to ACOG around April 15, 1996. The early OC cast was first assembled on the field on April 27, 1996 -- and steadily from then on. US Olympic T&F trials were held around mid-June; so Ceremonies took a break for about 8 days in the use of the stadium; and after that, it was full steam ahead -- putting in the 'Cocoons of the Spirits,' the Choir and Atheltes' ramp, the rappelling apparatus of the Rangers, the stage for the orchestra, etc., etc.]

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It's only OK looking at night. Not quite as nice as it was in the renderings. It doesn't have that glow.

I agree.

However, in this pic, it seems a whole lot less messy and chaotic to me. Serene, almost.

2299816818_466efb27b6_b.jpg

Must be that polluted sky.

I am very sure that they will use some thing to and fro on the main field, you can easily observe the long and strong track made up of steel structure along with main disc. I think there will be lot much mechanisms beyond our expectations.

I am very sure that they will use some thing to and fro on the main field, you can easily observe the long and strong track made up of steel structure along with main disc. I think there will be lot much mechanisms beyond our expectations.

R u taking language lessons from james and taichi?

Oh I see....

By the way english is not my first language. you should try to understand the meaning from messages rather than its grammer.

Its an international forum and you will find many people having different type of english.

Maybe you tried to be funny, but it turned out as completely rude.

Wie würde es dir denn gefallen, wenn ich dir gegenüber künftig auf Deutsch umschwenken würde? Oder bereitet dir das etwa auch Probleme?

What? You didn't understand a word I wrote? Hmm, funny... So why do you reproach other members with their problems speaking, writing or understanding a foreign language, then?

There are some things one simply shouldn't make fun of. You wouldn't like it either if you seriously tried to speak or write a foreign language and were derided for it.

Maybe you tried to be funny, but it turned out as completely rude.

Wie würde es dir denn gefallen, wenn ich dir gegenüber künftig auf Deutsch umschwenken würde? Oder bereitet dir das etwa auch Probleme?

What? You didn't understand a word I wrote? Hmm, funny... So why do you reproach other members with their problems speaking, writing or understanding a foreign language, then?

There are some things one simply shouldn't make fun of. You wouldn't like it either if you seriously tried to speak or write a foreign language and were derided for it.

You don't have to be offended about that comment. Baron doesn't write good English either. So, why are you worrying yourself over English language? R u is a non-standard way of writing You are. Lol!

No thanks, Miss Olympian2004, I'll call on you when I need your advice. otherwise, just keep it to yourself, OK. :P

james, 'R u' is textese. It is accepted for informal communication like what u have here.

If it was a joke, than I am really very sorry. May be it was my fault, it was just a misconception due to my :( english knowldege, and after all english is my seconed language.

If it was a joke, than I am really very sorry. May be it was my fault, it was just a misconception due to my :( english knowldege, and after all english is my seconed language.

There's nothing you have to be sorry about. First of all, it's not a crime if someone makes mistakes using a foreign languages. For me, English is also only my second language, and I still make mistakes as well. And secondly, even if Baron meant his statement as a joke, it was (in my opinion) a rather insulting and "one step too far" one. You know, Baron almost permanently tries to be funny here -- and sometimes he manages that, and sometimes he goes "one step to far" and/or you can throw his "jokes" into the trash can. So actually he should apologise, and not you.

So, back on topic...

Anyone else besides me thinking the BOOG seems to be fairly reckless with their plans for the torch? Between what appears to be a proposed lighting plan and the plan to have the torch summit Everest, there seems to be a desire for spectacle over safety.

I love a good show, but I want all the performers to come out alive at the end.

So, back on topic...

Anyone else besides me thinking the BOOG seems to be fairly reckless with their plans for the torch? Between what appears to be a proposed lighting plan and the plan to have the torch summit Everest, there seems to be a desire for spectacle over safety.

I love a good show, but I want all the performers to come out alive at the end.

Olympic flame will visit Beijing directly from Olympia, Greece just to split it into two flames, one will go to Almaty for world tour and another flame will remain lit in lantern to wait for the suitable time to start Everest journey, that lantern will be placed in President house for security and honour of the flame.

Later when everest flame will start its mountain journey, Olympic torch relay will be paused in china (due to IOC restrictions), and after competion of everest journey both flames will be mixed and this flame will get the honour to sit on main cauldron.