Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

The Post-olympics configuration is 80,000 if I am not wrong. During the olympics, it will be 100 000. So thats 20 000 temporary seats , I guess

Actually its capacity during the Games will be 91,000. At least according to what the official Beijing 2008 website says.

What a co-oporating talks after all the wrong talks about the Beijing air pollution . Am glad people finally come to agree with reality to see there's tsill hope in China hosting the games..

What a co-oporating talks after all the wrong talks about the Beijing air pollution . Am glad people finally come to agree with reality to see there's tsill hope in China hosting the games..

China is doing a far better job than Athens and maybe even Sydney at this point. Though they both started with clean air. Beijing has made huge steps towards a cleaner environment and in that sense has achieved much more than almost any other Olympic city. Sure other cities have put on great games but they havent started from as low as Beijing. Though i guess they never had the billions of currency either.

Beijing has made huge steps towards a cleaner environment and in that sense has achieved much more than almost any other Olympic city.

I agree. Beijing officals have been trying to limit the number of private cats on the roads and moving big factories colonies away to other cities.

China is doing a far better job than Athens and maybe even Sydney at this point. Though they both started with clean air. Beijing has made huge steps towards a cleaner environment and in that sense has achieved much more than almost any other Olympic city. Sure other cities have put on great games but they havent started from as low as Beijing. Though i guess they never had the billions of currency either.

We could all make "progress" at this speed if we allowed our governments to comandeer private property and land without proper compensation and without respecting the rights of individuals. The rate at which China is adding to global emissions makes the progress Bejing has made look like a mouse f@rt in a hurricane.

We could all make "progress" at this speed if we allowed our governments to comandeer private property and land without proper compensation and without respecting the rights of individuals. The rate at which China is adding to global emissions makes the progress Bejing has made look like a mouse f@rt in a hurricane.

Need to correct you at some points.

1.It's naive to expect Chinese government would still do care about what private property is all about or other this kind of bullshit under this great political atmosphere, I meant the Olympics. Everything got to let the dam Olympics go first. That's why the forbbiden publications like PLAYBOY, THE SUN are going to be allowed on sale in Beijing during the Games. (What a fxking privilege for the foriegn tourists)

So you can see 'Law' in China is ultimately flexible when it meets politics.

2. I don't agree with you as you said China has to take most of the blame on global emissions. I meant honestly, who starts

the Industral Revolution at the first place? When everything got to be made in China in order to fullfill the wasty lifestyle

of the entire West World (including thousands of the obesity fatties). Is there any shame left as seeing Beijing got dirtier so that to make London/Paris cleaner?

You aren't gonna help, are you? or just making yourself looking like a fool instead of the Godess of Justice

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese 'covered up' 10 stadium deaths

January 21, 2008

Article from: Agence France-Presse

CHINESE authorities have covered up the deaths of at least 10 workers in their rush to finish the Olympic stadium for the games that get underway on August 8, it was reported overnight.

According to the Sunday Times newspaper Chinese officials have effectively bought off the families of the dead workers by paying them unusually high amounts of compensation - up to £13,000 ($29,280).

It said unskilled workers earn £3 ($6.76) a day and skilled welders earn just over £4 ($9) a day.

According to the report, the major problem has been the scale and ambition of the project. The stadium will eventually form a bowl shaped like a bird's nest.

"Sadly, fatalities during construction could be due to many different things that have nothing to do with design," Arup, the British engineering firm engaged in the project, told the paper.

Among several unnamed witnesses to the deaths, the Sunday Times cited a 25-year-old construction worker from Gansu province who worked as a welder at the site for more than a year.

"One day towards the end of (2006), the weather was terribly cold. On the top of the 'bird's nest' I could see some ice. I stood on the ground, thinking of how best to climb to the top to get on with the welding," he said.

"Just at that moment I heard a terrible scream. Before I realised what had happened I heard a thump on the ground. I suddenly realised that someone had fallen from the top of the nest - yet I couldn't see anybody on our sandpile, which was heaped in the middle of the running track.

"The manager ordered workers to excavate the sand with shovels. After half an hour a dead body was pulled out of the heap. The body was gory and I didn't dare look at it.

"The body was taken away immediately and everyone on the spot was told to keep it secret. For a couple of nights after that I had nightmares. In the end I quit and went back to my home town.

"So why did I come back again? Because I couldn't find a better job. And I guess because my girlfriend broke up with me. I felt lost. So I came back here to forget my unhappiness through hard work."

Chinese 'covered up' 10 stadium deaths

January 21, 2008

Article from: Agence France-Presse

They should retain Mme. Imelda Marcos who did such a good job of covering up the similar deaths of about a dozen workers in her Manila Film Palace or Institute (or whatever it was called) during her continued illegal tenure as First Lady, as Technical Consultant.

While it is indeed true that the chinese officials have reached an astoundingly ambitious target in cleaning the environment for these games, the complaints from athletes so far about the air quality seems to be getting louder and louder. I think that as the games approach, we are going to see a lot of turbulence where this issue is concerned.

While it is indeed true that the chinese officials have reached an astoundingly ambitious target in cleaning the environment for these games, the complaints from athletes so far about the air quality seems to be getting louder and louder. I think that as the games approach, we are going to see a lot of turbulence where this issue is concerned.

The good thing is that non of those athletes trying to boycot the games has visited to see for himself or herself. It's been said -- seen is believing.

There hasn't been any turbulence as such only that many athletes are not visiting at the moment. I think it would be more wise to place santion on athletes who are actually willing to boycot the games by IOC, cos Beijing is killing nobody with the situation reports from there by now. The simple truth is that Chinese need to lower the use of coal to power their industries.Meanwhile, their constructions so far are eco friendly.PEACE!

I can't imagine they would have a repeat appearance of a giant lake, but I wouldnt rule out water all together.

I guess water appearing in a pool of some description could be something that will happen. Of course, this wasnt really unique to Sydney, LA's closing ceremony featured an awesome stage construction in the middle of the field which included pools of water and fountains.