2011 Fifa Women's World Cup

Argentina would be able to host a Women's World Cup.

BMO Field is actually non-expandable because the Fair grounds won't allow more land to be given to it. Toronto will have to have another new stadium or use the Rogers Center.

Where did you hear that about BMO Field? Thats the first I've heard it, although the rumuors are abound that they will be increasing capacity soon on BMO.....

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the new/reburbished 40,000+ stadiums from last year's world cup plus all the new/reburbished 20,000-30,000 seaters for this tournament, Germany's stadium infrastructure, which is already one of the most modern and extensive in the world, will soon be even better.

Plus they're building proper 4-standed football stadiums, which is great. Congrats to Germany, you're doing a great job.

I don't think that this was the problem for Canada's bid. I think it was simply inevitable that Europe (and additionally, the country of the two-times Women's World Champion) gets a share of the Women's World Cup after so many years.

Well, I'm very happy about this result and that I can say now: Welcome back, football supporters from all over the world! I'm just curious what was the exact result of the vote. They haven't announced anything at the official ceremony so far.

Well, I am not surprised by this decision. When the USA got the 2003 edition because of SARS, it was almost inevitable that Europe would get this tournament. This was especially so, when the rest of the bids started to be withdrawn. Also, if what I heard about FIFA wanting to "shift" their World Cups around with their "new rules", then the 2015 Women's World Cup could be held in either South America or Africa.

Canada is certainly a good candidate for 2015 with Australia. Also, South America could push a bid but it will be too early after Brazil 2014... but if the U20 WWC in Chile is successful, maybe we can see a bid from this side of the world :)

Canada is certainly a good candidate for 2015 with Australia. Also, South America could push a bid but it will be too early after Brazil 2014... but if the U20 WWC in Chile is successful, maybe we can see a bid from this side of the world :)

Which, I think, Australia will have an edge because I am frankly do not know what FIFA tournaments Australia has hosted lately. Canada has hosted a few of them already, with the latest being you know what. With South America hasn't even hosted the Women's World Cup yet, I think it could be Chile or Argentina for the 2015 bid here. Peru tried to get 2011, but withdrew its candidacy.

Which, I think, Australia will have an edge because I am frankly do not know what FIFA tournaments Australia has hosted lately. Canada has hosted a few of them already, with the latest being you know what. With South America hasn't even hosted the Women's World Cup yet, I think it could be Chile or Argentina for the 2015 bid here. Peru tried to get 2011, but withdrew its candidacy.

Don't count on Chile, there women's football team is really weak... I personally would see Canada wins 2015 (then again, I am kinda biased, ain't I ;) )

Don't count on Chile, there women's football team is really weak... I personally would see Canada wins 2015 (then again, I am kinda biased, ain't I ;) )

Ha ha... that's because we don't really have a national team. I mean... we have but it was totally unprofessional. But now with the U20 World Cup, the girls are training a lot and I hope that after the Cup the women's football will be much more developed. Football is probably the sport most played by women here in Chile and most of them are as fans as men.

BTW... the daughter of the actual President played in the national team some years ago ;)

Anyway... Canada is certainly a much better option. The only problem is still the continental factor. FIFA may prefer another continent after North America, Asia and Europe (and that's why I believe Australia is a good choice, especially if they don't get the 2018 WC). But I think South America is an undeveloped market of female football... as I said, most of women love football but there isn't a professional female football except in Brazil. As Brazil won't bid after the 2014 WC, Argentina and Chile could be potential hosts (Peruvian bid was a joke) but I'm just speculating.

Where did you hear that about BMO Field? Thats the first I've heard it, although the rumuors are abound that they will be increasing capacity soon on BMO.....

BMO Field can be expanded but only up to a 30,000 capacity via the East side of the stadium. In order for the stadium to hold a bigger capacity than that, the organization that runs the CNE would have to tear down the Food Building in order to expand the north side of the stadium which isn't gonna happen.

Ha ha... that's because we don't really have a national team. I mean... we have but it was totally unprofessional. But now with the U20 World Cup, the girls are training a lot and I hope that after the Cup the women's football will be much more developed. Football is probably the sport most played by women here in Chile and most of them are as fans as men.

BTW... the daughter of the actual President played in the national team some years ago ;)

Anyway... Canada is certainly a much better option. The only problem is still the continental factor. FIFA may prefer another continent after North America, Asia and Europe (and that's why I believe Australia is a good choice, especially if they don't get the 2018 WC). But I think South America is an undeveloped market of female football... as I said, most of women love football but there isn't a professional female football except in Brazil. As Brazil won't bid after the 2014 WC, Argentina and Chile could be potential hosts (Peruvian bid was a joke) but I'm just speculating.

Well, I do not think this is a good comparison, but the first South American Women's World Cup could be compared to what FIFA chose the USA for the 1994 World Cup. To be honest, I am not sure how American soccer was like, before that World Cup. Afterward, however, it looks like it did pick up somewhat. The same thing could happen here, with a South American bid. Of course, Peru tried, but it just didn't hold up.

I personally don't think its South-America's turn just one year after Brazil will host 2014...

Well, don't be surprised, if someone over there in Brazil would try to get a 2015 bid going, on top of the country preparing for 2014 and bidding for the 2016 Olympic Games at the same time. It may be nuts, but don't discount it.

I wonder why Sinsheim requires such a stadium....

Because it's the home of TSG Hoffenheim -- they now play in the 2nd Bundesliga and the current Dietmar-Hopp-Stadion has only 6,000 seats. That's too small. And it's possible that they'll even advance to the 1st Bundesliga in the near future.

Because it's the home of TSG Hoffenheim -- they now play in the 2nd Bundesliga and the current Dietmar-Hopp-Stadion has only 6,000 seats. That's too small. And it's possible that they'll even advance to the 1st Bundesliga in the near future.

YES, most likely it will be SAP-Stadium or so.

YES, most likely it will be SAP-Stadium or so.

I don't know. Currently, the project is called "TSG-Arena". Maybe that's already the final name. But on the other hand, it has become customary today in Germany that stadia are named after sponsors: For example, there are Schalke's "Veltins-Arena" (named after a brewing company), Dortmund's "Signal Iduna Park" (insurance company), Hamburg's "Nordbank-Arena" (bank) and Fürth's stadium is even named after a toy company: "Playmobil-Stadion". A shame. :angry:

I hope that Hoffenheim won't play one season in the 1st Bundesliga only - otherwise we have to build for all small villages with 35,000 inhabitants a completely new stadium...

I hope that Hoffenheim won't play one season in the 1st Bundesliga only - otherwise we have to build for all small villages with 35,000 inhabitants a completely new stadium...

Towns with 35,000 inhabitants are "small villages" for you? One can see that you're living in a big city... <_<

Additionally, who is "we"? The new stadium in Sinsheim is financed by TSG's main sponsor, Dietmar Hopp.

Towns with 35,000 inhabitants are "small villages" for you? One can see that you're living in a big city... <_<

Additionally, who is "we"? The new stadium in Sinsheim is financed by TSG's main sponsor, Dietmar Hopp.

Aren't you a little bit too sensitive about this issue?

It is great that the TSG has such a sponsor, but does a town with 35,000 inhabitants requires a stadium with 26,000 seats?

I am really interested in who bought the area? Who pays the infrastructure around the stadium?

Aren't you a little bit too sensitive about this issue?

People in smaller towns simply don't like it when those in the big cities look upon them in a snotty way. If you didn't mean to be snotty, it's OK. But first it sounded that way.

It is great that the TSG has such a sponsor, but does a town with 35,000 inhabitants requires a stadium with 26,000 seats?

Well, when you have a Bundesliga match at home every two weeks, it's obviously needed more than a 44,000-seater in a city like Leipzig when there's no Bundesliga team around. Additionally, Sinsheim is not in the pampa: It's in the centre of the Rhine-Neckar region, with cities like Mannheim, Heidelberg, Karlsruhe and Heilbronn within a radius of only 45 kilometres. So the stadium could also be a venue for concerts and other events for the whole region. TSG Hoffenheim hasn't its supporters in Sinsheim only. And the club is very ambitious, wealthy and successful so that I don't have a doubt that they'll stay in the Bundesliga (either 1st or 2nd) for a long time.

I am really interested in who bought the area? Who pays the infrastructure around the stadium?

Well, if Dietmar Hopp is the builder, doesn't he have to buy the area, too? And in terms of the infrastructure: Those will certainly not be the main costs of the project. The stadium will be very near to the A 6, where it shall get its own exit. That and the roads to the stadium will obviously be payed by the city -- and the additional parking lot (for 2,300 cars) by Hopp himself: Newspaper article 1 The stadium construction is strongly supported in the city, also among the citizens. And they should be worried the most about an alleged "waste of tax money", shouldn't they? (See Newspaper article 2, Newspaper Article 3)

Also see

Wikipedia: Hopp-Stadion

Stadion kommt nach Sinsheim

Stadionbau

Archived