2011 Fifa Women's World Cup

Well, it is official now. It will be Canada versus these other nations for the honor of hosting the FIFA 2011 Women's World Cup:

- Australia

- France

- Germany

- Peru

- Switzerland

What do you think about this turn of events?

Link: CBC: Canada Vies To Host 2011 Women's World Cup

Link: FIFA: Six Countries Bidding To Stage Women's Football's Flagship International Event

banner_logo.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will come down to Canada vs. Germany, Switzerland and Peru have no chance. Canada was all but assured for 2007 before 2003 SARS incident in China that caused the WC to be moved to the USA. I know the USSA refusal to not let Edmonton host a group didn't sit well with Blatter and some other executives at the time.

Oh no France!! :blink:

I really thought Germany has this in its bag, but now the "French diplomacy" will stop the German ambition.

Anyway, good luck

{A898175B-E28A-497D-A1D5-CB085D545CA1}picture.jpeg

Wiedersehen bei Freunden - See you again

24 cities (Aalen, Augsburg, Berlin, Bielefeld, Bochum, Duisburg, Frankfurt, Freiburg, Gelsenkirchen, Göttingen, Hamburg, Hanover, Leipzig, Karlsruhe, Kassel, Magdeburg, Mannheim, Mönchengladbach, Potsdam, Reutlingen, Sinsheim/Hoffenheim, Stuttgart, Ulm, Wolfsburg) have already shown interest in hosting the World Cup.

It will come down to Canada vs. Germany, Switzerland and Peru have no chance. Canada was all but assured for 2007 before 2003 SARS incident in China that caused the WC to be moved to the USA. I know the USSA refusal to not let Edmonton host a group didn't sit well with Blatter and some other executives at the time.

[/quot

USSA did FIFA a big favour in 2003, by hosting the Womens World Cup with just 4 months advance notice, so Blatter and FIFA should,t complain!!!

What other country could have done this on such short notice?

I actually believe awarding the 2003 WC to an European country (France, England or Germany) would have been the best idea, since the US just hosted (after all, those three countries could have hosted in 4 months notice).

Anyway, I hope Canada wins the right to host.

I do not think Australia has a good chance for a few reasons

Out of the four world cups, they have qualified 3 times, but have had only 1 draw only scoring 9 goals in a tournament when it is still not uncommon for blowouts of 7-0. They have never reached the knock-out stages and are now in the Asian conference, as is China.

Peru has no presence in women's football, Brazil would be the first from South America to host.

Switzerland is going to be too small to host a 24 team tournament on their own by 2011.

France has qualified once in their history, through highly ranked, are still a weak footballing nation in the women's game.

That is why its between Canada and Germany, the vote will be interesting, because its gonna be likely that it will be a 12-12 decisison with Blatter picking. Canada has shown an ability to host major football tournaments, the U-20 in 2002 was the first women's tournament to turn a profit and FIFA has had nothing but praise for the U-20 men's preperation. Germany has the success of 2006, a long footballing tradition and one of the best women's teams in the world.

I think the real contenders here are Germany and France, with the first having a huge advantage. Anyway, I think Canada should look for 2015, since it has strong presence in ladies football and it would be 12 years since the last time N. America hosted.

realistic chances:

- Canada 4%

- Australia 25%

- France 18%

- Germany 50%.........favourite. very popular, organised well men's wc, time for Europe

- Peru 1%

- Switzerland 2%

-----------------------

total: 100%

There is no way Australia has more chance of wining that Canada. Australia is now part of AFC, which just hosted (China 2007). Canada is also a stronguer women's Football presence that Australia. Granted USA just hosted 1999 and 2003, but I do have a felling that it won't hurt Canada that much since USA 2003 was a back-up and Canada 2007 the red-hot favorite.

It should be a close race between Germany and Canada. Blatter has vocally said that USA hosting 2003 in replace of China would not hinder Canada's chances since the USA stepped up for FIFA.

I have no clue how it would turn out... but Canada has PROVEN to be a hot bed for International womens Soccer/Football.

Maybe i am wrong, but i think you are all overrating Canada chances. It will be fight between France and Germany. Canada is not on the same level like France and Germany. Yes the Canadian women´s team is much better than their male counterparts. But does it really mean something? Has Canada an own soccer league for women? Or are these teams only university teams? Women soccer is much more developed here in Europe.

Maybe i am wrong, but i think you are all overrating Canada chances. It will be fight between France and Germany. Canada is not on the same level like France and Germany. Yes the Canadian women´s team is much better than their male counterparts. But does it really mean something? Has Canada an own soccer league for women? Or are these teams only university teams? Women soccer is much more developed here in Europe.

How's it going to get developed if things like this aren't held here. And yes there are women's club teams in Canada.

I think Germany is going to win and should, Canada realisticly should be looking at 2019 because I am sure FIFA would want to see 2015 in Brazil or Argentina.

But Canada is probably the second bid in this contest because France in my mind has almost no chance, because of its lack of presene in the sport, they are ranked 7th, but they have only qualified once and never reached the knockout stage.

I think Germany is going to win and should, Canada realisticly should be looking at 2019 because I am sure FIFA would want to see 2015 in Brazil or Argentina.

But Canada is probably the second bid in this contest because France in my mind has almost no chance, because of its lack of presene in the sport, they are ranked 7th, but they have only qualified once and never reached the knockout stage.

The thing though, is if Germany will be using most of the 2006 venues, they will NOT fill up for a Women's WC as they did for the men. France has the slightly smaller venues, and it's nothing for Euro fans all over to just come over to France; so the venues in France will fill up more easily.

Granted, Germany has a very strong women's team, but by giving it to France, FIFA hopes that with the femme World Cup in la belle France, it will ramp up interest in the women's game as holding the 1994 men's WC in the US did for men's soccer in the US.

But it'll definitely be between France and Germany.

The thing though, is if Germany will be using most of the 2006 venues, they will NOT fill up for a Women's WC as they did for the men. France has the slightly smaller venues, and it's nothing for Euro fans all over to just come over to France; so the venues in France will fill up more easily.

It's not certain that Germany would use many of the Men's World Cup stadia. As Goethe already stated, there are 24 German cities interested in becoming a match host. Only seven of those 24 were hosts last year, too: Berlin, Frankfurt, Gelsenkirchen, Hamburg, Hanover, Leipzig and Stuttgart. I guess that Frankfurt, where the German Football Association resides, would be chosen as venue for the final -- just like for the Confed Cup in 2005. Berlin, Gelsenkirchen, Hamburg and Stuttgart could miss out due to the size of their stadia (50,000+) while Hamburg, Hanover and Leipzig would fit.

And then I expect many cities with smaller stadia: Most of all, Augsburg (32,000 spectators), Bielefeld (26,000), Duisburg (31,000), Freiburg (25,000) or Mannheim (26,000), Magdeburg (27,000) and Wolfsburg (30,000).

I think that those are sizes that could easily be filled with spectators here in Germany -- a country which would go crazy for experiencing another great World Cup summer (or early autumn) so soon.

Second link states that August 1st is the "real deadline" to put a bid forward. At the very end of that month, the 31st, FIFA will make its decision.

It's obvious that the hosting rights will be going to one of these 3 countries: Canada, Germany or France. I don't see FIFA going down under to Australia this time around. And Peru, well I think they have no chance in hell. I'll say it will come down between Germany and Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

Franz Beckenbauer said France is the favorit.

because Platini is now UEFA-President and he is a big, big freind to Blatter

and so he expect France to be the favorit.

so we will see

France - Canada - Germany

the others countries have no chance imo

Archived