Calgary '88

Kenadian

Was watching the IOC website videos today and was reminded about the best figure skating battles ever in an Olympics.

The Battle of the Brians - Canada's Orser against U.S.'s Boitano.  I had forgotton how great the competition was with Boitano winning only because Orser made one little slip in the long program, even though Orser had a far better artistic program.  And the introduction of Viktor Petrinko(sp) who won the bronze.

The best of all - Liz Manley sneaking in and winning the silver and the long program to the surprise of both Katarina Witt (who got the gold) and Debi Thomas (bronze).  She had had problems for years with consistency and on that night, she was flawless and beat out the world champion for the silver.

Priceless

I agree completely.

The Battle of the Brians and the Battle of the Carmens were epic.  Both Orser and Boitano skated to military styled programmes and Boitano pulled out the performance of his life at the biggest moment.  Orser made a slight slip, but got a perfect 6.0 as his final mark.  If you have ever seen the documentary on the Calgary Games, you'll also realize that Boitano did not watch Orser and put on a head set and listened to loud music.  He pulled off the head set in time to hear that final perfect mark announced and so he had assumed that he had lost.  It was not the case.  Classic!

As for the ladies, ironic that Thomas and Witt both chose to skate to music from Carmen.  Witt skated clean, but not inspired.  Unlike Boitano, she was uber-confident and she just glared Thomas down from the stands.  It worked...Thomas fell apart.  While Witt won the gold, the night actually belonged to Liz Manley, who in front of an anxious hometown crowd skated the performance of a lifetime.  In hot pink and a white stetson, she beat out her nerves, won the crowd and took the silver.  That was also the night that Midori Ito laid claim to the future.  She electrified the crowd with jumping skills that would put fear into the hearts of the men.

And in the pairs, Gordeeva and Grinkov were utterly perfect.  Their story ended tragically, but for 4 minutes in Calgary, the were above and beyond anything on this earth.

The ice dance was not as exciting because Torvill & Dean had retired 4 years earlier after striking perfection in Sarajevo, but Calgary gave us the experimental Duchenies in a program that would forever push the boundaries of dance.

Epic stories from the Saddledome.

Ah yes - Gordeeva and Grinkov.  I cannot remember a pairs performance outside of Sale and Pelletier that I found so inspiring.  I can't believe that I forgot them in my original post :blush:

They were absolutely perfect that night as well. Ekaterina Gordeeva and Liz Manley are the personalities during '88 that when they stepped on the ice, it lit up.  Witt and Thomas didn't have that trait.  

Outside of Ice Dancing which as you pointed out, because of Trovill and Dean 4 years earlier,was sort of ho hum, the singles and pairs competition however has not been matched IMHO since.   :cool:

Since 1988, only two times did the stories get nearly that interesting...but more for controversy than competition.

1994 - Kerrigan vs. Harding.  Only because it was a princess and a trailer trash bruiser who both got beat by an alcholic Ukrainian train wreck.  Not the same magic as Calgary, but the highest rated sports event of the 1990's.

2002 - Skategate.  But it had nothing to do with the skating, just shifty judging.

Since 1988, only two times did the stories get nearly that interesting...but more for controversy than competition.

1994 - Kerrigan vs. Harding.  Only because it was a princess and a trailer trash bruiser who both got beat by an alcholic Ukrainian train wreck.  Not the same magic as Calgary, but the highest rated sports event of the 1990's.

2002 - Skategate.  But it had nothing to do with the skating, just shifty judging.

Hands down the 1994 Ladies Figure Skating in Lillehammer was perhaps...the greatest...single...event....in Olympic History.

Figure Skating is already great because it's basically four years, for four minutes on 1/4th inch blades. Especially when the life of a sixteen year old girl revolves around it....What freaking drama

But Nancy v Tonya......My god was that good.

Personally, anything to get a guy like me interested in Figure Skating has to include

a) Hot Chicks

Nancy was cute....Not hot....Didn't have that little Sasha Cohen Spread Eagle spin. But regardless, there was eye candy

B) The Catfight

One of the best ever....

c) Have a Soprano's/Mob like feel to it

Obviously....Jamie Sale had the benefit of this too

d) Genuine Hatred....

e) A great unexpected ending...Bitter Nancy, Bitter Tonya.....Bitter Michelle Kwan who was the alternate and STILL hasn't won gold yet. It was great, fantastic, amazing.

Hands down the 1994 Ladies Figure Skating in Lillehammer was perhaps...the greatest...single...event....in Olympic History.

Figure Skating is already great because it's basically four years, for four minutes on 1/4th inch blades. Especially when the life of a sixteen year old girl revolves around it....What freaking drama

But Nancy v Tonya......My god was that good.

Personally, anything to get a guy like me interested in Figure Skating has to include

a) Hot Chicks

Nancy was cute....Not hot....Didn't have that little Sasha Cohen Spread Eagle spin. But regardless, there was eye candy

B) The Catfight

One of the best ever....

c) Have a Soprano's/Mob like feel to it

Obviously....Jamie Sale had the benefit of this too

d) Genuine Hatred....

e) A great unexpected ending...Bitter Nancy, Bitter Tonya.....Bitter Michelle Kwan who was the alternate and STILL hasn't won gold yet. It was great, fantastic, amazing.

P.S. Men's Figure Skating is perhaps the g@yest sport alive.....and along with Ice Dancing should be banned from the Olympics.

Yeah, figure skating is a soap opera.  Harding v. Kerrigan was an Alexis v. Krystal style catfight a la Dynasty and Michelle Kwan is the Susan Lucci of the sport.

The sexiest figure skater ever has to be Katarina Witt.  She did Playboy a few years back.  To reflect on her 2nd gold win in Calgary ...Hidy, Howdy and Giddee-yup!

The sexiest figure skater ever has to be Katarina Witt.  She did Playboy a few years back.  

The sexiest?  You mean the heaviest.  Look at those thighs.  And if you'll go back to her earlier skating and then look at her more recent attempts, you'll notice that she barely gets off the ice now -- maybe like 1/2 inch.  ANd oh boy, the tales the Zomboni operators could tell about the ice cracks after the Witt skates!?!?!  :suspect:

About the 1-night victories:  also Paul Wylie in ALbertville - everything came together for him that night; as well as for Sarah Hughes in Salt Lake.  Are these 1-night wonders?  

About Men's Figure skating being the gayest sport:  well, you have the likes of Johnny Weir(d) who probably follows in the Toller Cranston (is that his name?) school and Evgeny Plushenko with the gloves on  one end - oy!; and you have the more athletic, more masculine ones like Elvis Stojko on the other end.  Of the current crop, there's Michael Weiss who is married and a dad, and Timothy Gabel and Brian Joubert who are not at all fey to me.  

But yes, with the sequins and the artistry, it would tend to border on being tres gay.  But then, what would a Winter Olympics be without the glamor sports of Figure Skating?

About the 1-night victories:  also Paul Wylie in ALbertville - everything came together for him that night; as well as for Sarah Hughes in Salt Lake.  Are these 1-night wonders?  

Indeed.  Michelle Kwan is the best one to point out who the one night wonders are.  She has gotton to know them very well  :laughlong:

Yes JD, there is probably a 50/50 ratio of gay men in the sport.  But figure skating is one of the hardest sports out there, having to combine athletisism with artistry.  Go out and just try and do a single jump on ice sometime withoutskates  :shocked:

Here's a fun story from Calgary an old skating coach friend told me.  After the pairs long program when Jill Watson and Peter Opergard finished a rather sloppy performance (they still won the bronze - they were hoping for silver), Jill, who was known as a princess and didn't really like Peter anymore at that point because he had this habit of going off and getting laid at every city they visited, making him late for practices the next day, proceeded to go off on him and kick him in the balls  :shocked:

I think that is where Tonya got her inspiration  :laughlong:

Speaking of figure skating, Calgary will have the honor of hosting the World Figure Skating Championships next year. Unfortunately, it will be held right after Torino 2006. Also, this is the second time in a row that the city hosted one right after the Winter Olympics. The last time was 1972.

• 3 months later...

It is now official. Tickets for the 2006 World Figure Skating Championships, in Calgary, goes on sale starting June 1st. Ticket packages will be at costs from $393 - $950 Cdn for thr 14 events involved, including the practice runs and the gala. For single tickets, I'm not sure at this time.

Most of all, Barbara Ann-Scott is the honorary chair of the competition. She will be joined with the likes of Tracy Wilson, Elizabeth Manley, and Brian Orser as well.

Most of all, Barbara Ann-Scott is the honorary chair of the competition. She will be joined with the likes of Tracy Wilson, Elizabeth Manley, and Brian Orser as well.

Ahhhh - Tracy Wilson.  One of my favorite figure skaters.  What is she doing now?  Last I saw of her she was hosting the figure skating commentary in Lillehammer on CBS.

Do you have a link to the website about the '06 worlds? I love Barbara Ann Scott - might be worth flying up to see it.  :cool:

Ahhhh - Tracy Wilson.  One of my favorite figure skaters.  What is she doing now?  Last I saw of her she was hosting the figure skating commentary in Lillehammer on CBS.

Do you have a link to the website about the '06 worlds? I love Barbara Ann Scott - might be worth flying up to see it.  :cool:

I believe she still does the commentary, esp. in ice dancing for the ABC and/or ESPN coverages of the recent FS World Championships.

Wonder how Calgary's logo would look like as well. Its so nice that Barbara Ann Scott will be the honorary chair and for the event to be held on the same city where the best Olympic figure skating competition was staged wow. can't say anything. Hope it won't suffer the fate of the previous world championships held during the Olympic year.

The link is not made yet. Therefore, a website to the competition has not been made as well. I'll try to find it and post it here ASAP.

By the way, some people have made comments over the days, since Calgary was announced to host it, how it could bring back the Olympic competition atmosphere because of the venue that will be used: the Pengrowth Saddledome (formerly the Olympic Saddledome.)

As for Tracy Wilson, I'm not sure what she is doing right now. I can assume that she is still doing her TV broadcasting about figure skating and its competitions.

Wonder how Calgary's logo would look like as well. Its so nice that Barbara Ann Scott will be the honorary chair and for the event to be held on the same city where the best Olympic figure skating competition was staged wow. can't say anything. Hope it won't suffer the fate of the previous world championships held during the Olympic year.

I could scan it, from the Calgary Herald. The press conference for the event (and another one) took place at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary last Thursday from Skate Canada.

It may not be a great scan from the Calgary Herald sports article, but I'm learning to do this sort of thing. I just need to practice doing this more often.

photo200552217539edited7to.jpg

What do guys think of it?

logo is not bad. deinitely better than Moscow's. WOnder when the website will be up?

My guess will be just before June 1st. However, don't hold your breath over it. Like I said before, once the website is up, I'll try to get the link to it.

• 1 month later...

Well, I haven't found a link per se to the official site yet. However, these two links for those interested in wanting to be a spectator for these upcoming world championships should look at them:

Seating Sections of the Pengrowth Saddledome

Pengrowth Saddledome

• 3 months later...
According to the Calgary Herald, about 1/2 of all seats set for the World Championships have been sold. Not bad, for such an event right after a Winter Olympics.

Kind of an interesting article on what Debi Thomas is doing now -

Debi Thomas - Then and Now

Correction, Ms. Thomas, or I guess Mrs. Bequette now.  You were the "only" African-American to win a Winter Games medal up to 2002.  3 years ago at Salt Lake, Vonetta Flowers and this black guy on the 4-man bobsled team, joined you as the first Afro-American Winter gold and silver-medallists.

Archived